March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My teen sim died unexpected

So my teen sim who I spent hours and hours on maxing up everything from baby to teen died after she came home from school and went for a swim. She hardly managed to get in the water before she died. Can they die from being tense and then going for a swim? Usually swimming makes my sims relax?

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I've never see diyng from being tense and swimming. Was he tired?
  • kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    No not tired. I'm beginning to wonder if it may have been a bug or something because it happened so quick
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Low energy or maybe he was really hungry ??
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Or it could have been really cold, if you have seasons.
    Did she swim in the pool or in the ocean? That might make a difference too.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,913 Member
    MDianaSims wrote: »
    Or it could have been really cold, if you have seasons.
    Did she swim in the pool or in the ocean? That might make a difference too.

In ocean, especially in Mua Pel'Am, sims can get pulled underwater by the ocean threat. If it happens randomly, sims can drown due to this, regardless of their needs or emotions.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    In ocean, especially in Mua Pel'Am, sims can get pulled underwater by the ocean threat. If it happens randomly, sims can drown due to this, regardless of their needs or emotions.
    Wasn't aware this could happen :#

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

edited May 2020
    Nindigo wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Wasn't aware this could happen :#

I'll share a video that shows off that. It's made by HollieBB. I'll put it under spoilers so this post won't make a large space.
    Though there are some things to clarify (as things like that somehow call me to test them out).
    The tense moodlet that sim gets when surviving it blames mermaids because they have an ability to summon ocean threats (which won't kill sims). However, if sim dies by that, if you either disable death by cheats or really quickly pause the game after sim has been pulled underwater, they'll get an uncomfortable moodlet that disappears as soon as sim begins drowning. As I've captured a picture of the moodlet, I'll share its name and description here:
    Uncomfortable +2

Deep Sea Horrors
    (From Swimming in the Ocean)

Something pulled [First name] under the water. Luckily [First name] managed to escape... for now.

3 hours

Though it seems like a black cloud in ocean, it's actually a flat effect. The fact that we don't really know what it is is scary. It could be a shark, it could be a kraken, it could be souls of dead sims pulling sims to join them, or something else. Anyway, it's best to get out of the ocean when you see a shark. If you spot your sim being pulled underwater, you can pause the game and press M key to travel somewhere else.
  • gogojellygogojelly Posts: 24 Member
    I didn't know they could die so suddenly. honestly i didn't even know they could drown either. there wasn't any prompt that let you know why she died?
    gogojelly wrote: »
    I didn't know they could die so suddenly. honestly i didn't even know they could drown either. there wasn't any prompt that let you know why she died?

Usually, when a sim in your household drowns, the game will only notify that the sim is drowning. Unless sim swims in pool and something else besides low energy caused the drowning (freezing, emotional overload etc).

Something to keep in mind is that since the patch that came before Parenthood game pack, teens cannot die by emotions (mainly because moodswings can give teens 50 points of either anger, tenseness, embarrasment, or saddness).
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    There is a warning moodlet the first time a shark comes around - gives plenty of time to get out of the ocean. The video above shared by EgonVM has the sims purposely stay in the water after the warning to get the shark attack death.
    Does seem very odd that a teen sim died so quickly - all I can think of is a mod causing it or it was a glitch.
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    There is a warning moodlet the first time a shark comes around - gives plenty of time to get out of the ocean. The video above shared by EgonVM has the sims purposely stay in the water after the warning to get the shark attack death.
    Does seem very odd that a teen sim died so quickly - all I can think of is a mod causing it or it was a glitch.

Well, I forgot to clarify that.
    The moodlet expiring may not be the cause. I tried if it can happen in Lani St. Taz (The island with Simoleon Beach) as I have seen sims encounter sharks there. My sims encountered sharks, but no matter how long they were there, they weren't pulled underwater.
    There has been many theories on this forums. Some say it happens when a sim encounters a shark twice withing 3 hours, some say that it happens only at night etc. When I have tested it out, I had varying results. Some sims were pulled underwater without the shark moodlet, some sims were pulled underwater with the moodlet, it happened for some during the daytime, for some during the nighttime. Though one was clear: sims were swimming in ocean for about 12 hours or more before they started being pulled underwater. Sometimes, after one sim has been pulled underwater, the other nearby gets pulled underwater. When I sent new sims from the Gallery to the place where it happened, they were pulled underwater some time after encountering a shark.

Oh, and I discovered another thing with it. Children cannot be pulled underwater, even though they can encounter sharks.

So for me, it's a rare event that can happen in Mua Pel'am. If you want your sims to swim in ocean safely, Ohan'ali Town is the place.
  • kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    It did happen in the ocean, but I'm still not sure why. Like I said she was tense from coming home from school, but she almost instantly died when she started swimming outside her house. The notification then popped up and said she died from drowning. I have never resurected a ghost, but considering trying it this time if it's possible.
    edited May 2020
    kiwi84 wrote: »
    It did happen in the ocean, but I'm still not sure why. Like I said she was tense from coming home from school, but she almost instantly died when she started swimming outside her house. The notification then popped up and said she died from drowning. I have never resurected a ghost, but considering trying it this time if it's possible.

Could you tell the following?
    1. Where did it happen? In which neighborhood? Which lot was loaded?
    2. How often do you travel with your sims?
    3. Did you hear the music when your sim died? If you did, how did it sound?
    4. What traits did your teen sim had? What was her life state?
    5. Has your sim encountered sharks before she went swimming again?
    6. Do you use mods/CC?