Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is there a demand for Bunk Beds & spiral staircases

Comments

• Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

The honest answer? Because people hyperfocus on individual objects that were in previous Sims games until they obsess about it and expect it in every single content release thereafter.

How could you say something so controversial yet so brave
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Bunkbeds are handy space savers, especially if you're like me and play with families, you can easily cram a family of eight into a three or two-bedroom house with bunkbeds.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I would rather have ladders than spiral stairs- one tile space saver vs 4 tiles.

Being a big family player I would love bunk beds at some point. But I'm not obsessed about them.

There are still heaps of items I would love to see brought to the game; the more stuff we get the more varied our builds and game play can be.

we already have ladders in island living :)
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,574 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »
    I meant ladders for houses to use for going from one floor level to another.
  • Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    I'd do without bunk beds, I just use the cc no animation ones, but I'd be very happy with spiral stairs. Even with the stair manipulation that came a few patches ago, they're still so obnoxiously big! My tiny two story builds would benefit a lot from them.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    Gameplay-wise:

Spiral staircase - It would be 4 squares (2X2) and could be placed with any floor level height with no trouble. With the stairs now, it can be a real pain having to twist them all over the place to get them to fit, or line them up right between floors. So a big time saver in build-mode. Going up and down would take the same amount of time for the sim. And honestly, I can't see making a new animation for them being any more difficult than any other animation.

Bunk-bed - Simple. Two sims can sleep on the equivalent of a single bed instead of one sim. (I can see this one being a bit of a problem though programing-wise and animation-wise.) Gameplay-wise it would be really handy though.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    SambylaSambyla Posts: 31 Member
    I'm a builder from my heart and those two things allow to make so much more creative and interesting buildings. I personally don't understand why they didn't give us those in tiny living. Those would have been so much more space-saving than those new beds.
  • Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    I was playing a legacy family where the next generation leader has to be a girl. The family had 3 sets of mail twins first. Bunk beds would have been a life saver in their 3 bedroom house -- sticking single beds against the wall in mom and dad's room just doesn't have the same feel.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,790 Member
    Bunk beds not only save space, but they allow for more than one child to a bedroom. Spiral staircases are just plain awesome. I don't see those coming now that we have a new system that allows us to bend a staircase. Bunk beds would be perfect for that new family that can't afford a larger house.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'll admit it I want spiral staircases so I can have a proper remake of Ginia Kat's house as well as a Hill House build I want. I've seen a number of spiral staircases in movies and I just want to see them in my sims home period.
    I don't care quite as much about bunk beds but I hope we get them. I don't play with kids much but I hope a plain one that adults can also fit in will eventually come in addition to colorful ones for kids. I'd really like them for barracks and prisons and cult-like stories that I can think of.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Bunk beds would be so useful in a smaller house and/or apartments. The amount of times I've had to do ridiculous things with beds because of space. Along with bunk beds, I'd like to see a loft bed with USABLE space underneath so I could stuff an activity table or toy chest under it.

Spiral staircases I'm not as fussed with but I'd like to have them for build reasons. I really doubt we will get them though now that they've added in the ability for us to twist our staircases. I find that stair tool a bit clunky and I would appreciate just being able to stick in a spiral one and be done with it. One better would be ladders though. The ultimate space saver with being just one tile.

On the other hand, I don't see the fuss about cars so... *shrugs* I'm the exact opposite of the OP I guess. I'd find way more uses in the other two in my day to day play than the cars.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,892 Member
    Spiral stairs would be convenient for building, as they’d take less space. But personally I want ladders more because I want to be able to make attics.

As for bunk beds they are space saving as well, so they would be convenient. I’d like mezzanine beds better maybe.

But what I’d mostly want is cars!!
  • Options
    secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    I don't understand the fuss about cars. They'd provide nothing gameplay-wise
  • Options
    ElDimentioElDimentio Posts: 38 Member
    They do save space, which helps when building small. I wish I could use the Island Living ladders indoors though as a replacement for stairs. That would save so much space!
  • Options
    zandst0rmzandst0rm Posts: 20 Member
    Spiral stairs are so much handier in smaller spaces, and if you want to have the stairs in a fixed place through all floors you can just stack them on top of eachother while with regular stairs you have to be a lot more creative with the placement, plus they can be elegant. Definitely very useful. Bunk beds are pbviously also good for cramped spaces. We don't just play with mansions... so obviously we need these things, and more space savers like ladders and multi use furniture is much needed as well.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,154 Member
    Spiral stairs would also be handy with tiny living.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,381 Member
    I can remember the wonderful spiral staircases from Sims 3, a couple were truly classic. I would love to see them in Sims 4...beautiful for building. Bunkbeds wouldn't seem like a coding nightmare, they already have the animation of climbing ladders.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    From what I’ve seen, some of the major requests we currently have for content in Sims 4 are:

- Bunk beds
    - Spiral staircases

I don’t really understand the hype for these items, I wouldn’t be opposed to them but surely they wouldn’t make that much difference to gameplay?

I think it would’ve made sense for them to add bunk beds & spiral staircases in Tiny Living in the sense of saving space, they seem like a perfect fit for the pack and the SimGuru’s must know by now how much everyone seems to want them?

Other high demand things like cars I can understand, because although there would be a loading screen and not much you could do with cars, there could still be some new interactions with them.

But I imagine bunk beds and spiral stairs are quite limited to what they can offer? Maybe it’s just me I just don’t understand the huge demand there seems to be for them and why are Sims team haven’t addressed them because I can’t imagine they’re difficult to add?

Spiral Staircase I can stack on each other in build mode and it takes up 4 squares in build made. I am left with extra space to build and spiral staircases look prettier too.

Bunkbeds again save space. I can have 3 bunkbeds saving space in build mode and instead of me using space I can use for something else in a kids room like a Wardrobe or a few toys or deks in their shared room. For example, I have twin boys or girls. I can use 3 squares long 1 square wide and they have their sleeping area with bunk beds. That space I would have used for the extra bed is now two desks and a bookcase for them. I like saving space in my games even if I have a 64 x 64 lot and can build a giant mansion with each kid having their own play area study walk-in closet and bathroom along with a nice comfy bed for them to sleep I still want to conserve space.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    I just want bunkbeds/loft beds to save space in a child’s room. It’s nice to just fit a computer desk or a doll house or a dresser under the loft bed because it would cause more space. Bunkbeds if you have a small home with room to fit one child but oh no your sim had twins then it would mean more room for both with bunkbeds
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

they do if you don't mind cc

I see, my bad :#
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Camkat wrote: »
    Spiral staircases I'm not as fussed with but I'd like to have them for build reasons. I really doubt we will get them though now that they've added in the ability for us to twist our staircases. I find that stair tool a bit clunky and I would appreciate just being able to stick in a spiral one and be done with it.

Yes! A pre-built format choice of a staircase twisting as a square "spiral" staircase would be really handy.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @AlexSimmerman It's because people are used to these being present in previous iterations. Whether they are really needed is a matter of personal opinion. I don't really care about either even though I have played previous Sims games. But I'm not a builder, so maybe that's why.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    @AlexSimmerman It's because people are used to these being present in previous iterations. Whether they are really needed is a matter of personal opinion. I don't really care about either even though I have played previous Sims games. But I'm not a builder, so maybe that's why.

I didn't play the previous versions of Sims unless you count one weekend of Sims 3 at a friends house. I'd love bunk or loft beds and ladders.
    Cars I dont care about. Sims teleport anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    CelSims wrote: »
    Cars I dont care about. Sims teleport anyway.

I know! :D It would be like the elevator or the dresser. The elevator your sim teleports, the dresser your sim goes to CAS mode to change outfits.
    A car, if you moved a sim to the car, then you would get the same thing as if you used the phone to travel or clicked on the map to travel.

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I think I can count the number of places in real life that I've been to that have spiral staircases on one hand. They are space-saving, but I'd prefer to have a ladder that could be used for "attics" and lofts. To be honest spiral staircases make me feel nervous. (How DO they get furniture up them?)

Bunk beds would be useful and space-saving.

There can be a lot of gameplay associated with cars.