Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What combinations of lifespan/season lengh do you use?

I usually play with normal/14 days. But now i want to start a new save with small lifespan. The problem is i don't like 7 days seasons because i miss all the changing between seasons that i love, like snow slowly going away or tree leafs falling. With 7 days it seems everything is so quick...

What combinations of lifespan/season lengh do you use? Can you talk a bit about your experience?

Comments

• Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I don't think I could help you. I play on normal lifespan with 7-day seasons.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I don't think I could help you. I play on normal lifespan with 7-day seasons.

Thank you for answering anyway :)
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I play on normal lifespan with 4 weeks per season, because I prioritize experiencing every season over realism. Also I play rotationally, one family per week, so I get to explore each season with four families at a time that way. It just takes a bit of planning when I am setting up for the next rotation to make sure each family gets some variety as to what seasons they are active for.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    I play on normal lifespan with 4 weeks per season, because I prioritize experiencing every season over realism. Also I play rotationally, one family per week, so I get to explore each season with four families at a time that way. It just takes a bit of planning when I am setting up for the next rotation to make sure each family gets some variety as to what seasons they are active for.

I think you said it all. In my case i need to figure what is more important to me, realism or the experience of the changing seasons...
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I play with aging off with 14 day seasons with no holidays. They got old fast. I avoid death in my games using settings and MCC. I play to escape the real world which is full of death. I don't want it in my escape from reality. I worked in the medical field for over 20 years. I changed professions about 4 years ago. I like the long seasons because most of my Sims garden and it gives them plenty of time to evolve plants etc.
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Longest possible settings for both. Otherwise seasons go around so fast it makes me dizzy and the holidays are so crammed up against each other there's no space between them. I use a mod to get out of having to observe holidays anyway. I feel like there are too many, and too many fussy things to have to do for them. The mod disables Sims getting a bad mood from not celebrating holidays, so I don't have to go to the work of cleaning them out of the calendar for each save.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    I do normal settings. Unless I have a family and I want the kids to age up a little faster then normal then I'll change it to short. But I'll keep the seasons the same 7-day period. Tried shorter once but I didn't like not having the full effect on everything.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Currently I'm playing Long/14 days. I'm planing to change it to Long/28 days sometime in the near future.
  • Options
    lovelyskysxlovelyskysx Posts: 93 Member
    I just use the default one
  • Options
    Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    edited April 2020
    I play with aging off & 28 day seasons. I have all the usual holidays we have here in the U.S.,and a 3 week Summer vacation. Plus a Christmas break between Christmas & New Years. Works out really well.
    Edited to add: I delete most of the ridiculous holidays the game adds—Brawl Day, Talk Like a Pirate Day, etc. They’re just stupid. I keep the lottery, the TV Premiere one, and the free night on the town.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Currently, I play with long life span & 14 days seasons. I used to play with long life span/28 days seasons & also normal life span/14 days seasons. I never play with short life span or 7 days seasons, because it's too short & only few days to enjoy the changing of the seasons as well as the festival (I love festivals :D ).

After all the test & trial that I did with the life span & season, I feel that the long life span & 14 days seasons are the best combo, because, I would rather to spend some time with my Sims & taking them to skill up accordingly, have a balance life before they kick the bucket. On top of that, having the University is one of the reasons I decided to play with long life span because, I don't want my Sims to end up being an adult once they left the Uni.

For the seasons, 14 days is just a nice allocation where you can have festivals & just a normal day. 28 days is okay, but, it can be very harsh if your Sims live in Windenburg/Brindelton Bay. Both have a pros & cons. But I decided to use 14 days because I want my Sims to experience as many years as they can before again, kicking their buckets. :D
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    I play long/14 day. I feel that gives each stage enough time to experience all seasons.
    I have always pushed my Sims for achievement (even as far back as the original iteration). I max skill Toddler (then rack up as many points from whims as I can) and Child stages to prepare them for adulthood. This also gives me the chance to actually play, not just slave-drive them as I tended to do in the past.

It took adding Toddlers and Seasons to the game to get me to play with families. I didn't want to touch them before that - they were so lacking.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I usually play with aging off and 14 day seasons.
    In my aging on saves, either a custom lifespan (something similar to long, but divided more realistically over the life stages) or on normal I use 7 day seasons.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    MisslizardMisslizard Posts: 162 Member
    I have played normal but I find it's not long enough if you want to do multiple things eg university, couple of aspirations, vacations, children etc. but long is way too long, it gets boring eventually. So I have started going between the two. I do long when im in Uni and then switch back to normal when im ready for the town to grow and age (I use MCCC). I don't touch the seasons at all. If i were to change the season I would make them longer by a little because I do feel that they fly by too quickly.
  • Options
    Simoleon_KachinnnngSimoleon_Kachinnnng Posts: 13 New Member
    Right now I am playing with 14 day seasons and aging turned off for my Sim but left on for other Sims until I get used to playing again.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    I currently have age spans (in-game days) set as this:
    Baby: 12
    Toddler: 200
    Child: 300
    Teen: 500
    Young Adult: 600
    Adult: 1000
    Elder: 500
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm aging off and 14 days also. 7 days is too short for me... and I get tired of the same season for 28 days since I play mostly on slow speed so 14 it is. I do usually find a way to shelter plants for gardening though because I really don't like them to go dormant.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    djs1568djs1568 Posts: 37 Member
    I play with aging off, all my sims are adults or young adults, any others that come along are aged up or down, or deleted. I play permanent summer with all weather effects turned off. I'm considering deleting seasons, I find skating rinks, vending stalls, weather and holidays quite annoying.
  • Options
    MrsSteepdeneMrsSteepdene Posts: 20 Member
    I play long for aging and 14 days for seasons. For me it gives me the slower life pace I love and it's not a rush to get everything done whilst they are alive. Currently playing a challenge, but without the time constraint for completing all the tasks.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I have long seasons and either normal or long lifespan. I play a huge rotation though so it's different when it comes to realism. I have marked my played households with a number from 1 (spring) to 4 (winter) to remember what season they had last time. That way I can sort of move them through the year, eventually.
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    edited April 2020
    I play with a custom 3 week season length so I can have all of the 12 months (1 week equals 1 month). My sims lifespan is tied to the seasons to make sure that they always age up on the day they were born (for example, if a sim was born on 2nd of March they will age up on the 2nd of March next year). An entire seasonal year is 84 days so it's 84 days for toddlers-teens (babies are included with toddlers), 168 for young adults, 252 for adults and 168 for elders. That's 840 sim-days and 10 seasonal years. Sometimes when I'm bored I change the season length to 1 week. Then I choose the most important week out of the three (usually the one with a birthday or a fun holiday) and pretend the next two happened offscreen (hope that makes sense :tongue:).

I've been playing like that for over 9 months and so far it's the only way that works for me because it bugs my perfectionist mind when sims age up on different dates XD It's not ideal and I'm still annoyed with the fact that they have a lifespan of a dog or a cat (as in their "growing" years don't sync with "seasonal" years and a baby born in summer will celebrate their next birthday at the age of 7) but it still works better then the options provided in game.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,593 Member
    I play on Long and 14-day season. Unfortunately, I get too much rain, as a result. But playing 28 days was far too much like playing without seasons. 7 days is way too short. 21 days may be just right, but we haven't got that option.
    Koteyka wrote: »
    I play with a custom 3 week season length so I can have all of the 12 months (1 week equals 1 month). My sims lifespan is tied to the seasons to make sure that they always age up on the day they were born (for example, if a sim was born on 2nd of March they will age up on the 2nd of March next year). An entire seasonal year is 84 days so it's 84 days for toddlers-teens (babies are included with toddlers), 168 for young adults, 252 for adults and 168 for elders. That's 840 sim-days and 10 seasonal years. Sometimes when I'm bored I change the season length to 1 week. Then I choose the most important week out of the three (usually the one with a birthday or a fun holiday) and pretend the next two happened offscreen (hope that makes sense :tongue:).

I've been playing like that for over 9 months and so far it's the only way that works for me because it bugs my perfectionist mind when sims age up on different dates XD It's not ideal and I'm still annoyed with the fact that they have a lifespan of a dog or a cat (as in their "growing" years don't sync with "seasonal" years and a baby born in summer will celebrate their next birthday at the age of 7) but it still works better then the options provided in game.

Would you mind telling me which mod you use to customize to that 21 duration?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    @GalacticGal it's a mod by LittleMsSam :) Here's the link!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,593 Member
    Koteyka wrote: »
    @GalacticGal it's a mod by LittleMsSam :) Here's the link!

Thank you. I shall have to try that link again at a later time. Right now my browser won't let me on. Response time too slow. Face/palm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    I use the default season and regular lifespan - but I use MCC Command Center to increase adults life span from 24 to 32 and young adult from 24 to 27. Gives them a little more time with their grandparents.