Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What platform do you play Sims 4 on?

As I understand it, there are differences between each platform so I'm curious how many people play on which.

What platform do you play Sims 4 on? 214 votes

PC
88%
ehaught58Akl500PCK213Frn0731bshag4lvGoldmoldarwindweaverGalacticGalIcewolfLaBlue0314jeepjeepcatalexspoom13alan650111IceyJSimmervilleelenisav2TWSimGamer82RainbowSimQueenCamkatbeki 189 votes
Mac
6%
AlexailisamwittTheDreamyWritersimesmerizedKoteykaalyssa123Dianesimsx4m1r4popstarsleyRouensimsSimmyFroggysecretlondon123faerieduste 13 votes
Xbox
2%
Lemon405PenguinFoopRavenSpitFunandotsNoirStasis 5 votes
Playstation
2%
KhrisstynebeadierturtleBearpal64rehmeyersmandyihaveaplaniswearfreezrbunny 6 votes
Other
0%
Bagoas77 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    PC
    My son and daughter in law does not come on this forum, but they both also play Sims 4, but on the Xbox.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    edited March 2020
    PC
    I love playing on PC. My 1st time playing on PC was back in the early 1990s, it was Sinbad the Sailor & Civilization on 3 1/2 floppy disks. The computer was my dad's.
    Then in 2011 my daughter & I looked for games to play on Windows 7 & discovered Sims 3 on DVD, it was amazing. However, we learnt the hard was that Laptops aren't good for gaming.
    Now we each have our own Desktop Computer with Windows 10 & both of us like to play Sims 4 & the Starter Pack Sims 3. I also play
    Civilization V, Age of Empires & Sims Medieval.
    My beautiful daughter is grown & has her own place & is more of a gamer than I am. She still says that PC games are still better than Apps, Wii, Xbox & Nintendo.
    Like Mother, like daughter.

• Options
    MisedejemMisedejem Posts: 2 New Member
    PC
    My main platform is PC, but I’m currently playing a file on my brother’s PS4 copy. The only real reason is because I don’t have Vampires myself and it’s one I was kinda iffy about, but I was curious to try it. The PC version runs and controls better, but otherwise the only difference in experience is what I imposed on myself.
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    PC
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I love playing on PC. My 1st time playing on PC was back in the early 1990s, it was Sinbad the Sailor & Civilization on 3 1/2 floppy disks. The computer was my dad's.
    Then in 2011 my daughter & I looked for games to play on Windows 7 & discovered Sims 3 on DVD, it was amazing. However, we learnt the hard was that Laptops aren't good for gaming.
    Now we each have our own Desktop Computer with Windows 10 & both of us like to play Sims 4 & the Starter Pack Sims 3. I also play
    My beautiful daughter is grown & has her own place & is more of a gamer than I am. She still says that PC games are still better than Apps, Wii, Xbox & Nintendo.

That's such a false statement. Laptops are fine for gaming, as long as they met specs and a person isn't trying to play a intensely graphic game on a $200 underpowered laptop. Then, no, of course it won't go well. But I have had a well spec gaming laptop for the last 5 years that I play games on and have zero problems out of it.

An underpowered laptop is exactly the same as an underpowered desktop. It is true you have to have slightly higher spec's on a laptop then you would on a desktop, but a blanket statement that "laptops aren't good for gaming" is completely untrue. "Underpowered laptops aren't good for gaming" would be very accurate.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    PC
    DivieOwl wrote: »

That's such a false statement. Laptops are fine for gaming, as long as they met specs and a person isn't trying to play a intensely graphic game on a $200 underpowered laptop. Then, no, of course it won't go well. But I have had a well spec gaming laptop for the last 5 years that I play games on and have zero problems out of it.

An underpowered laptop is exactly the same as an underpowered desktop. It is true you have to have slightly higher spec's on a laptop then you would on a desktop, but a blanket statement that "laptops aren't good for gaming" is completely untrue. "Underpowered laptops aren't good for gaming" would be very accurate.

Yes, it is true that sub spec platforms are not going to perform well, but I think the salient issue is that a desktop is going to give you better bang for your buck when it comes to performance.
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited March 2020
    PC
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    DivieOwl wrote: »

Yes, it is true that sub spec platforms are not going to perform well, but I think the salient issue is that a desktop is going to give you better bang for your buck when it comes to performance.

But that wasn't the statement. The statement was "laptops aren't good for gaming" not "laptops are inferior to desktops for gaming".

I agree, nothing compares to a desktop, which is why I mentioned that laptops needed slightly higher specs. And my desktop is far superior over my laptop, but I can easily game on either - without major issue from either one.
    Post edited by DivieOwl on
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Xbox

I play Civ IV and AoE on my laptop but Sims is on the Xbox One. I love Civ IV but didn't really care for Civ V; probably because it didn't play well on my old outdated pc when I had it and haven't tried it on my laptop.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Mac
    Mac here, I now know how bad macs are for gaming. (But great otherwise).
  • Options
    faeriedustefaerieduste Posts: 44 Member
    Mac
    I know Macs are bad for gaming but it's all I have right now.
    Origin ID: faerieduste
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    PC
    I am a PC gamer. Even got a gaming laptop.
  • Options
    Xbox
    Wow so far 65 pc, 8 mac and 3 xbox. Lol Come on Xboxers!!!! We can do better than this! We're sorely under represented!
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    PC
    PC. I've never been much into console gaming.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    Mac
    Everyone saying Macs are bad for gaming... I'm not having any problem. *shrug* But we don't buy cheap regardless, I know what I want to be able to do.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    PC
    Simulation games were (and still often are) created for PC gaming. Playing them on console systems makes little to no sense to me. The controls make the game much more irritating and complex to play. Using a controller is beyond frustrating to play a simulation game... especially if you're playing a game like The Sims and trying to control more than one sim at a time!
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    eilemaeilema Posts: 7 New Member
    PC
    PC all the way. Consoles confuse me lol.
  • Options
    Xbox
    Simulation games were (and still often are) created for PC gaming. Playing them on console systems makes little to no sense to me. The controls make the game much more irritating and complex to play. Using a controller is beyond frustrating to play a simulation game... especially if you're playing a game like The Sims and trying to control more than one sim at a time!

This is true but I've only ever played Sims on console so I just stuck with it. Besides with the console, I can play on my 55" TV without having to run a cable from my pc to the tv. The downside to that is that I can't take the game with me if I go out of town or something for awhile. But then again, if you're going out of town, why take a game? Chances are you'll be busy with other things probably.
  • Options
    r0b0tman5r0b0tman5 Posts: 109 Member
    PC
    i play on PC
    Been playing The Sims since The Sims 1! B)
  • Options
    beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    Playstation
    Playstation 4 (PS4). From all I've heard, those that are already used to playing TS4 on PC find the controls frustrating to say the least, but as one that was not used to the PC controls, I don't have any problems. Sure, at first, it did take a while to get used to the controls.

There are some things I've yet to figure out, for example; placing kitchen cabinets on walls. The basic placing is fine, but with a PC you can use options to change the look of the cabinet to make it look more realistic (imo), but I can't figure out how to activate this option on the PS4.

You can't use mods on the PS4 (or any console outside of PC from what I understand), which is lame, but as a console player I am used to that.

All in all, I would recommend the PC version over a console, but if console is your only (or preferred) choice, it's not a bad one.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    PC
    I have a less expensive "gaming rig" for it. I have a computer that I use almost exclusively for gaming that is separate from the one I surf the internet on. It's one of the reasons that I only occasionally post photos on here. That requires going into a different computer. My internet surfer is a cheaper laptop.

Anyway, I like playing this on PC. I have a Nintendo Switch rather than a Playstation or Xbox. I prefer keeping this game on PC for myself.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Mac
    Well you’re lucky then !! Mine overheats when I play TS4, and makes as much noise as a full speed fan....sometimes it crashes.
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Everyone saying Macs are bad for gaming... I'm not having any problem. *shrug* But we don't buy cheap regardless, I know what I want to be able to do.

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2020
    PC
    TS4 is the first sims game on console to be very similar to the PC version. The only difference is console can't use mods. It's not the worst option for someone who must play on consoles. Besides... some people are just more comfortable playing on a couch with a controller (like my husband).

Personally, I much prefer PC gaming for almost every game. I'm nearsighted so sitting on the couch is not comfortable for me even with a 55" TV in a small living room. Glasses on or couch pushed up still isn't comfortable.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    Mac
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Well you’re lucky then !! Mine overheats when I play TS4, and makes as much noise as a full speed fan....sometimes it crashes.
    lisamwitt wrote: »

I think that's a laptop issue, not a Mac specific one. I've had both PCs and Macs, laptops and desktops, and this is the one area where laptops do show that they are not *ideal* for gaming. Graphic intensive games are hard on them. That said, my last one (a Mac) lasted around 5 or 6 years before it was obvious the heat was getting to it. For me, that's great. Tech moves so fast that 6 years is old for a computer and I needed an upgrade anyway.
    Mine does get hot and I can hear the fan, but it usually takes at least an hour, sometimes two. I stop playing for a few minutes (and usually peruse the forums), then start it up again. Sims is the only game I play, so it just doesn't bother me.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    PC
    Mine is a DDR3 gaming rig. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    AshenAshen Posts: 34 Member
    PC
    I play on PC, desktop and laptop.
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    PC
    PC. Consoles are good for many things, (third person games in particular, such as GTA), but I can't imagine any convenience in trying to play Sims with controllers.