Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too many boys!

I recently started the Simerican Settlers Challenge. I created two sims to play and places down others from the gallery. My founders had a son and, around the same time, two boys and two girls were born in the town (with MCCC). “Perfect! I’ll marry him off to one of the girls!”

Soon after, my founders got pregnant again, with another boy (according to MCCC). Unfortunately, of the other four sims who were also pregnant, they were ALL having boys. Once the babies are born, the town will have EIGHT baby boys, but only TWO baby girls!

I have a few solutions in mind, but each one has some... complications.

1. Marry the boy to the older girl- Due to the age gap, the girl may be too old for him. In addition, in the old days, older men often married younger women, not the other way around.
2. Cheat the gender of my sims’ baby- I usually don’t like cheating, especially since I’m playing a challenge.
3. Cheat the genders of a few of the other sims’ babies- Again, I’d prefer not to cheat.
4. Wait until more sims get pregnant- This may take a while because a lot of sims got pregnant at once and I have the lifespan set to long, and with MCCC, sims don’t get pregnant with a baby already in the household. (There’s currently just one non-pregnant couple without a baby, but a pregnancy with them could result in yet another boy.)
5. Add a few families with girls later on- I hate CAS, especially since I need to download lots of CC to properly dress my sims for the time period and still have variations in the townies’ clothing.
6. Add one family with quadruplet girls- Again, I hate CAS.
7. Have the second son be gay and enter a forbidden romance with one of the boys- I’m not sure how this would play out, but seeing as it’s still the 1850s, he would probably be disowned by his family, and that seems sad.
8. Have him remain a bachelor for life- I like my sims to get married and have lots of kids.

So, what do you think I should do?

Too many boys! 73 votes

Marry the older girl
13%
Frn0731haneulIObelleToddly13tmcevoy1121MrSunshineLuxuryGogoMllamasflulaciana 10 votes
Cheat the gender of my sim’s baby
0%
Cheat the gender of another sim’s baby
5%
ThenyoukissmeHuiiie_07Evie0602RememberJoy 4 votes
Wait for more pregnancies
8%
MissyHissySimTrippyx4m1r4SimAlexandriaBecka28SimmyFroggy 6 votes
Add several families with girls
15%
Colorist40Sasquatch7loubyloulouLizzychicagoAquariusMomspice3SheepilingEricasFreePlayFeisbukaiteListentoToppDoggKrueger 11 votes
Add one family with quadruplet girls
1%
MeteoraStorm 1 vote
Gay forbidden romance
41%
Bloosmoofruitsbasket101alanmichael1thecatsredMeepersimKhrisstyneSerendipity38BabykittyjadeDaraviSindocatDevilNDisguiseAnnLee87VampireSapphireSims4MagicalTalesEnkiSchmidtKirbycatRedShoe7Zimz4TamakiSakura84joRN1414 30 votes
Boy remains a bachelor
5%
Colton147147StrawberryYogurtNumeriusAsiniusRouensims 4 votes
Other (please specify)
9%
keekee53SERVERFRAAmapola76CelSimsSimmingalSiggDiggitRhiannonraven 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Gay forbidden romance
    ...Is it bad if I read the title to the tune of "Too Many Cooks"?

On topic, I say either have marry the older girl or go for that gay forbidden romance!
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I don't play with MCCC, so I apologise if this doesn't help in the slightest. I micro manage everything :D

Anyway, I was thinking that if, historically, the men generally marry younger women, waiting it out for a few pregnancies might not hurt. By that reckoning, while that could mean waiting a while, the girl would still be younger and with a lifespan set to 'long', it might not matter too much. Plus, it means you can avoid CAS if you hate it. <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    Gay forbidden romance
    1, 4 or 7.

Seven may not necessarily lead to getting disowned by the family. In the 19th century non romantic friends of the same gender could be very close and exchange touches, embraces etc. without it being seen as gay. So they could hide their relationship's exact nature for a long time.

Plus, if they live at the frontier where few or no women are available it is even better. Sailors, cowboys, explorers and lumberjacks woohooing wasn't exactly condoned, but it happened a lot. Only a very few of those pairings were actually in love.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @EnkiSchmidt They actually do live on the frontier! The storyline is that the founders have just arrived in Oregon after traveling along the Oregon Trail, and part of the rules involved clearing out the surrounding areas (hence why almost everyone is pregnant at once).
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    edited February 2020
    Gay forbidden romance
    I feel you. I started with two families hoping the children would grow up and marry each other. Of my scientist's six children, only one was a girl. The other family had three boys and one girl.

When the oldest two of my scientist's children moved out, he was abducted a few times and came back pregnant twice. Both are boys.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 2020
    Other (please specify)
    have them fight over the girls like good old reverse harem series

or I suppose it would be fun to make them gay too
    or perhaps cause few tragedies...
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    lacianalaciana Posts: 29 Member
    Marry the older girl
    Marry the older girl. One of the things I learned when doing genealogy, is that my ancestors didn't give a plum about social mores of their time.
  • Options
    CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gay forbidden romance
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • Options
    Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    Gay forbidden romance
    I heartily echo and support what @KiniHokulani (Awesome handle name, btw) said!

Besides, even if you didn't actually write the story of it out (though it would be awesome if you did!) the story of that getting played out, if only in your own head, would be very cool! :)
  • Options
    SiggDiggitSiggDiggit Posts: 145 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Is adoption an option?
    2f8164094dfe843e371b34f5333b4dff1d96e006.jpg
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @Serendipity38 I was actually considering writing out the story. I may start tomorrow!
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Add several families with girls
    Either cheat to change the babies' genders or add families with girls.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Gay forbidden romance
    Deleted

• Options
    Gay forbidden romance
    @Simtown15 that's awesome to hear! If you do, then maybe you'll consider sharing it with us here! Along with the story of your founding family and the unique challenge in and as a whole, too! :)

@KiniHokulani you're most welcome! Do you mind if I ask what the name means? It seems like something that would have meaning to it? Well other than the fact that it means a lot to you, yourself, of course! B)
  • Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    Gay forbidden romance
    There's no such thing as "too many boys". Just because you're doing a settlers challenge doesn't mean you can't re-write the history of that time period in this game. If the majority of your population is of one gender and they also happen to have a same-sex preference (which is easily realized with a few discreetly directed romance interactions from you) then that will become the norm. The forbidden part will fade into antiquated obscurity when everyone stops forbidding it. If you're worried about the reproduction rate grinding to a complete stop, you can always have your sims invoke help from the heavens above (and by that I mean aliens of course). It should make for some interesting and maybe unexpected game play.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Gay forbidden romance
    Deleted

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Other (please specify)
    If the challenge doesn't forbid it, use the in game ways to change the gender. If you want a girl, have your Sim listen to pop music and eat strawberries. Otherwise I'd add some families.
  • Options
    Gay forbidden romance
    @KiniHokulani ah, I see! Very nice names, yes! Thanks for explaining! :)
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I'd just wait since the game will automatically generate what is needed to keep the balance. So if there are tons of boys in the world, it'll start to generate some girls. And you could always feed pregnant sims strawberries, which influences gender to be girls but isn't technically a "cheat".
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I recently started the Simerican Settlers Challenge. I created two sims to play and places down others from the gallery. My founders had a son and, around the same time, two boys and two girls were born in the town (with MCCC). “Perfect! I’ll marry him off to one of the girls!”

Soon after, my founders got pregnant again, with another boy (according to MCCC). Unfortunately, of the other four sims who were also pregnant, they were ALL having boys. Once the babies are born, the town will have EIGHT baby boys, but only TWO baby girls!

I have a few solutions in mind, but each one has some... complications.

1. Marry the boy to the older girl- Due to the age gap, the girl may be too old for him. In addition, in the old days, older men often married younger women, not the other way around.
    2. Cheat the gender of my sims’ baby- I usually don’t like cheating, especially since I’m playing a challenge.
    3. Cheat the genders of a few of the other sims’ babies- Again, I’d prefer not to cheat.
    4. Wait until more sims get pregnant- This may take a while because a lot of sims got pregnant at once and I have the lifespan set to long, and with MCCC, sims don’t get pregnant with a baby already in the household. (There’s currently just one non-pregnant couple without a baby, but a pregnancy with them could result in yet another boy.)
    5. Add a few families with girls later on- I hate CAS, especially since I need to download lots of CC to properly dress my sims for the time period and still have variations in the townies’ clothing.
    6. Add one family with quadruplet girls- Again, I hate CAS.
    7. Have the second son be gay and enter a forbidden romance with one of the boys- I’m not sure how this would play out, but seeing as it’s still the 1850s, he would probably be disowned by his family, and that seems sad.
    8. Have him remain a bachelor for life- I like my sims to get married and have lots of kids.

So, what do you think I should do?

A few thoughts:

As it's a challenge, I wouldn't use cheats, particularly since you've said you aren't personally comfortable with it.

With respect to #1, if your concern is historical accuracy, this shouldn't be a significant concern. Yes, it was more common throughout history for older men to marry younger women. However, there were always exceptions to the rule, and it was not unheard of to happen the other way around. I had a great-great-great aunt who, in her late thirties, married a man in his early twenties. (He was a Union soldier from New York, and while fighting in the Civil War, fell in love with her, proposed, and ended up settling down with her in the south. It was apparently quite the scandal.) Or, if you're into Outlander, you could think of it as a Jamie & Claire situation. You could always wait until they are a bit older, and see how they hit it off. If they don't, then you would still have the option to add a CAS family or families with more girls.

As for the second son, I would make him gay. If your concern is historical accuracy, you have to remember that while being out was usually not possible in the way that it is now, for most of history gay couples did openly live together, just as "bachelors" or "spinsters" sharing a household. Sometimes it was an open secret in the community, sometimes their neighbors and families were genuinely clueless/naive, but basically people turned a blind eye to those relationships. So you could make that a part of the challenge for that sim... have a committed relationship without engaging in romantic interactions around other people, or only around sims you designate as sympathetic/open-minded. Of course, you could always opt to make it an "alternate history" (I mean, it's already "Simerica", it's an alternate history as it is), and just have it not be an issue.

You could also just see who both sons are naturally drawn to. Maybe the first son is gay, the second son connects with the older sim neighbor girl, and the first son adopts one of the second son's kids to continue the legacy. (Not sure what the rules of this challenge are.)
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    If you have MC Commander, change the sex in cass when they become toddlers.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Gay forbidden romance
    1, 4 or 7.

Seven may not necessarily lead to getting disowned by the family. In the 19th century non romantic friends of the same gender could be very close and exchange touches, embraces etc. without it being seen as gay. So they could hide their relationship's exact nature for a long time.

Plus, if they live at the frontier where few or no women are available it is even better. Sailors, cowboys, explorers and lumberjacks woohooing wasn't exactly condoned, but it happened a lot. Only a very few of those pairings were actually in love.

I agree with this.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Gay forbidden romance
    I will never not vote for Boy x Boy.

THzT0Rp.png

That's not a thought-balloon, Wade. ...Or is it? ;)
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Marry the older girl
    Just marry the older girl. In circumstances like this, in any time, men would marry older women. In the past, it wasn't as rare as you might think. A forbidden romance between two men could also be fun to play though.
  • Options
    RedSunBluesRedSunBlues Posts: 143 Member
    Gay forbidden romance
    id say do the forbidden romance and idk, maybe let your sims listen to some pop music and eat some strawberries? thats not really cheating right? haha