Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinion: Complaining about EA making certain items free and saying you "wasted money" is stupid

tweedletweedle Posts: 89 Member
People got mad when they added ONE jacket from Get Famous to the base game because they "wasted money on the EP".

People got mad when they made The Sims 4 free for a limited time because they "wasted money on the BG".

People just got mad when they made an anniversary hot tub for the base game a few days ago because they "wasted money on Perfect Patio Stuff" y'all are hating on it for the wrong reasons, lol

Sometimes, products that you already paid full price for go on sale or become free, it happens. You think people who spent money on The Sims 2 nearly 6 years ago were getting mad at people got it on origin at no cost?

Edit: I think people are missing my point I thought the cross out text would give it away. Yes, I understand your disappointment with the anniversary gift. I am disappointed and upset, too. I just don't agree with the thought of "This paid item should be premium and never free". I made this post as a little rant because I see so many people willing to throw money at EA, even on this game's anniversary. I saw a lot of simmers expecting a new DLC or whatever but I just don't understand some players' obsession with monetary content. I guess I should have waited to cool off to word this post better lol.

Edit 2: Okay, I'm going to reiterate this again because I don't think I made my opinion clear judging by newer comments.

I am not upset nor do I disagree with people being disappointed and angry at this lazy 20th anniversary hot tub. My post isn't even about the 20th anniversary. What I'm trying to say is that I strongly dislike premium-only content because it's just a greedy and lazy way to limit base game content. There are zero reasons why hot tubs, kitchen appliances, laundry machines, parenting skills, a reputation system, etc. should be locked behind a paywall. I find that very stupid and greedy and I strongly disagree with player's who promote this practice by saying "This content should never be accessed in non-monetary ways because I already paid for it".

And I'm not calling ANYONE stupid. If I wanted to insult players directly I would do it with no implications, but I don't verbally attack people for their opinions. I don't understand why some of you cannot disassociate your opinions from yourselves; this isn't a personal attack on you.
Ding-dong! Your baby is gone!

-Social Worker, probably
Post edited by tweedle on

Comments

• Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Peeps were upset about that too . There is aways a chance something paid for could earn enough money to be a freebie down the line. Which is nice for people who cant afford the collection. Whats really weird is the x free = waste because I paid for it. Last I checked money doesnt get broken up to one item you pay for everything included. Though its more of a waste to say you wanted one thing and hate everything else guess its mostly opinion so what can you do except ignore them and be positive about what you enjoy instead. I just don't have the energy to go on like some can too much effort tossed out lol.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    @RedDestiny92 People were upset that a game made in 2004 was made free? I'm not even annoyed now that's honestly really funny.
    "My parents bought this game for me when I was in middle school. How DARE you make my their hard-earned $30 go to waste?!"

-Social Worker, probably
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Maybe if Perfect Patio had a permanent price reduction it would have made some sense. It would have meant that the pack was old and outdated and being put to the wayside, essentially "retiring". I think when that happens, people generally understand it. But to continue to sell it for full price but render the main gameplay object obsolete... It reduces the value of the pack and makes the players look like they're being taken advantage of. Which they most likely are anyway.

Perhaps a new hero object is in order? (Current owners would get it too, of course.)

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    "People Got Mad" will be written as the epitaph of humanity.
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    tweedle wrote: »
    People got mad when they added ONE jacket from Get Famous to the base game because they "wasted money on the EP".

People got mad when they made The Sims 4 free for a limited time because they "wasted money on the BG".

People just got mad when they made an anniversary hot tub for the base game a few days ago because they "wasted money on Perfect Patio Stuff" y'all are hating on it for the wrong reasons, lol

Sometimes, products that you already paid full price for go on sale or become free, it happens. You think people who spent money on The Sims 2 nearly 6 years ago were getting mad at people got it on origin at no cost?

I think people are upset with the hot tub because that was advertised as the huge new game play object for Perfect Patio. It was the incentive to buy the Stuff pack by saying if you want hot tubs, you need to get this pack. I was also upset when they released a jacket from Get Famous into the base game. Not because I wasted money, but because that was an item that was exclusive to a pack I purchased. I don't think it's fair to comment on things going on sale or being given for free because with most items, you can exchange or price adjust. I was pretty peeved off when I bought The Sims 4 Pets for 30% off then not even a week later it went on for 40% and couldn't get my price adjusted. Sure it's valid to say you shouldn't be upset when a game goes on sale because that does happen. It feels like you're being punished for being a fan. I've bought every Sims game from Sims 1-4 and for the 20th anniversary of a game I've played for 15 years I was given a free hot tub while fans that don't own all the packs had the chance to win a free pack of their choice.

I don't think it's fair to say it's stupid that people are upset especially since EA isn't exactly the most customer friendly company around...
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    But they ARE harrassing and mistreating the people at the studio who tried to give them something nice. That's the problem.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    `I personally am neutral. I can understand why people get upset over freebies being products that are included in other packs outside the base game. To me, it shows a lack of originality and laziness on the part of EA. Adding original content to me would be more impressive as a freebie item. It doesn't bother me that something I probably bought at least half price and somebody else is getting it for free. It bothers me more when there is a severe lack of creativity on the part of the game. It's the 20th anniversary of The Sims Franchise. I played the original SimCity back in the day and was counting down the days when The Sims first came out and I fell in love the first time I played. Until Sims 4 came out I was psyched and saved up for preorder of every pack that came out. I think my biggest complaint is that they should have put more thought towards blowing our minds with something to celebrate 20 years of The Sims Franchise. I think many of us are disappointed and that disappointment fuels our anger, hatred at EA for being substandard. I think they need to come out with a 20th Anniversary Expansion Pack with spiral stairs, ladders, A water park for our family sims. Have added events in this pack like proms, baby showers, etc. Have clothing and items that we Simmers want to see back in Sims 4. Make it loaded with content. Add new aspirations, jobs and traits. Wow us. Blow our minds and stop resting on their laurels. Reputation only gets your foot in the door it only goes so far where The Brand is concerned. You have to back it up with something spectacular. That is what makes me upset. No wow factor. Nothing that blows my mind. :(:'(

If the CC Creators and modders can convert stuff from Sims 2 and 3 over to Sims 4 so can EA. EA can improve our traits as a special anniversary gift too to all of us.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    @QuillWriter I never called anyone stupid. I called their reactions stupid which isn't the same thing. And people most certainly DO harass developers over crap like this. That's what Gamers™ do.

-Social Worker, probably
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I'm not sure that it's really about the hot tub, per se. I think people are feeling unappreciated as fans, and add to that internet mob mentality, and things have blown up.

I honestly expected nothing. People have forgotten, apparently, about what we got for the 15 year anniversary of Sims. I'm actually stunned at the anger, but just thinking it's about the hot tub is simplifying it.
  • Options
    @LiELF I agree that the gift was very low effort and people are completely justified in being upset with it. I didn't expect much from EA and even I was mad. I just don't agree with certain objects being exclusive to packs. I think it's a cheap way of limiting gameplay from the base game so it gives people an incentive to buy stuff packs. That's why I only buy SP's when they are on sale or get them when people gift them to me; I don't think it's worth the money.

-Social Worker, probably
  • Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    But they ARE harrassing and mistreating the people at the studio who tried to give them something nice. That's the problem.

So because of the actions of others it merits calling my reaction (re: disappointment) stupid?
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Barbie430 wrote: »

So because of the actions of others it merits calling my reaction (re: disappointment) stupid?

Agree....does it??
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    I am not mad about the free item, even though it was a poorly designed (no cost) re-skinned item. I’m unhappy about how the anniversary was celebrated with lackluster attention and appreciation towards the community who have supported this game for a very long time.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited February 2020

I beg to differ. If there are people who continue to defend EA because their player base is critiquing and offering feedback towards their actions, things aren’t going to get any better.

It doesn’t make it any better if a Guru decides to act unprofessionally as a response to player feedback about the game. This also isn’t the first time an EA representative has behaved this way. I mean by, they’ve allowed this in their other games.

Example:

https://youtu.be/adqjzrrL8BU

GgnVnKq.jpg

I’m also going to have to strongly disagree with you that a re-skinned hot tub isn’t “something nice” for an anniversary celebration.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Hestia wrote: »

I beg to differ. If there are people who continue to defend EA because their player base is critiquing and offering feedback towards their actions, things aren’t going to get any better.

It doesn’t make it any better if a Guru decides to act unprofessionally as a response to player feedback about the game. This also isn’t the first time an EA representative has behaved this way. I mean by, they’ve allowed this in their other games.

I’m also going to have to strongly disagree with you that a re-skinned hot tub isn’t “something nice” for an anniversary celebration.

That's also something that should be addressed: People need to stop coddling the Sims Team like they are a small, underfunded indie team.

-Social Worker, probably
  • Options
    @QuillWriter Yes, I find it stupid and confusing that some people are more upset with one premium item being added for free rather than this whole anniversary being a bust. I don't understand how calling this particular opinion "stupid" is "demeaning". Maybe if was about something meaningful like a political or philosophical opinion I would see your point.

I apologize that I'm coming across as mean but I just don't understand your reasoning.

-Social Worker, probably
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @Hestia Oh I remember that whole spiel with the Apex dev. People tried to justify his reaction to it by saying he was being name-called on the subreddit but I expect developers to take the high ground and deal with harassment without stooping to their level. If I said what he said in my 9-5 retail job I'd be fired on the spot!

Edit: Oh, I see you posted a screenshot of the response! Worse than I remember. The OP wasn't even being rude!

-Social Worker, probably
  • Options
    QuillWriterQuillWriter Posts: 67 Member
    Reasoning? I suppose it's because I'm old, and I do a lot of writing in my line of work, and I think the words we use to express ourselves still have meaning beyond the surface level. Stupid just seems unnecessarily inflammatory, that's all. Also, consider that not everybody is so great at separating having their opinion called stupid from actually being called stupid, themselves. No hard feelings.
  • Options
    @QuillWriter Well, I can tell you that I never hide behind implications. If I think someone is stupid, I will say it outright. My post was directed at people's reactions not they, themselves, but I'll be more conscious of the language I use on this forum in the future.

-Social Worker, probably
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top