Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The buffs in tiny living are WAY overpowered and removes every challenge

I moved in a fresh, 0 skill Sim in a tiny home today.
Long story short she went, without doing any programming outside what her work required as a freelancer, from skill level 0 to level 8 in two days.
This also meant her first programming job netted her 140 simolions. Her very second one, that wednesday, netted her 9000 in ONE (1) day due to her rapid skill gain.

The buffs really need to be toned down. Right now I will lose money if I go to university with her, since she earns far more money the first week of her existence than she will ever do with any expensive degree.
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2020
    Long story short she went, without doing any programming outside what her work required as a freelancer, from skill level 0 to level 8 in two days.
    This also meant her first programming job netted her 140 simolions. Her very second one, that wednesday, netted her 9000 in ONE (1) day due to her rapid skill gain.

The buffs really need to be toned down. Right now I will lose money if I go to university with her, since she earns far more money the first week of her existence than she will ever do with any expensive degree.

There must be a mod for that.

Edit: That also sounds like a bug. IIRC, were the skill gains supposed to double? Maybe someone accidentally misplaced a decimal and instead of a 2.0 skill gain that have a 20.0 or something dumb like that. Not that when I've coded I've ever made a mistake like that... oh no... *grin*
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Felicity wrote: »

There must be a mod for that.

Edit: That also sounds like a bug. IIRC, were the skill gains supposed to double? Maybe someone accidentally misplaced a decimal and instead of a 2.0 skill gain that have a 20.0 or something dumb like that. Not that when I've coded I've ever made a mistake like that... oh no... *grin*

Wouldn't surprise me. I haven't done any math, but yeah. My Sim started her first job, with no experience in programming at 11 am Sunday. She was done on 4-ish PM Tuesday (with jogging, eating, cooking, relaxing in between of course) and had just reached lvl 8 in programming.
  • Options
    pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
    The challenge is actually making a livable house that's so small and then not getting bored with it fast. I found that after a few days of playing a Sim living in a 32 tile micro home. The skill increase is available at 64 tiles too, but even that is a pretty small house. If you and your Sim can be comfortable living in such a small house, I think they deserve the boost to the skills and whatever else!
  • Options
    pearlbh wrote: »
    The challenge is actually making a livable house that's so small and then not getting bored with it fast. I found that after a few days of playing a Sim living in a 32 tile micro home. The skill increase is available at 64 tiles too, but even that is a pretty small house. If you and your Sim can be comfortable living in such a small house, I think they deserve the boost to the skills and whatever else!

But they went from finally adding a tinsy winsy challenge in University, to the most OP buffs in the history of the Sims. I was one of them who were truly happy that you can't cheat and somehow get components to your Servo in the reward store the way they just casually put mermaid kelp there for like 500 points. And then they do a 180 and make this super-OP.
  • Options
    shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 255 Member
    Yep just build yet another Mod to cover up the totally inadequate level of care taken by EA\Maxis coders.
    Again I say, WE pay for this RUBBISH?

Anyone know a good hacker?
  • Options
    Well I reached programming lvl 8 today... ;)
  • Options
    LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    @Beardedgeek I can see how this would interfere with many peoples play style, but for my play style it is a huge help. I enjoy building my worlds, and would like to do that without losing my achievements. To do both, I cannot cheat and need to have a way to enhance my NPC Sims up quickly. I would like to see EA have some on/off switch for things like this. One of the best things about the Sims is that there are so many ways to play it. Unfortunately it can cause conflicts also. Until EA starts thinking about this, there are work arounds. If you want to download a tiny house, and don't want the skill boosts that come with it, maybe add a garage or something to increase the size.
  • Options
    JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    The on off switch is the lot type you select. I have an eighteen tile shack I put new Sims in. Off the grid, zero out the funds and earn your way out. If I select the tiny lot type, the Sim gets the buffs, if I don't then it gets really hard really quick.
  • Options
    shorty943p wrote: »
    Yep just build yet another Mod to cover up the totally inadequate level of care taken by EA\Maxis coders.
    Again I say, WE pay for this RUBBISH?

Anyone know a good hacker?

I didn't say it was a good thing. But I'll be real here -- EA's fixes seem to break more than they fix, so modders are at least safer. Given the choice in Sims 3 between version 1.69 and 1.67, any simmer who can swing it is on 1.67. And does anyone play without at least some of NRaas suite at this point?
  • Options
    LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    [/quote]
    I didn't say it was a good thing. But I'll be real here -- EA's fixes seem to break more than they fix, so modders are at least safer. Given the choice in Sims 3 between version 1.69 and 1.67, any simmer who can swing it is on 1.67. And does anyone play without at least some of NRaas suite at this point?[/quote]

Console players do 😊 and 😢
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Lquinn wrote: »

Console Sims 3 is an entirely different game, though. And there's a big reason I wouldn't play any sims games on console -- Sims games are buggy.

Edit: Wow, had to do some editing to get quoting working properly. Kind of funny when talking about bugs -- even the forum has them at the moment.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I feel like the boosts should have come with a way to cancel them, like we can with regular lot traits. That way, the player could just choose the buffs they want and get rid of the others. Maybe I want to build a 32 tile lot but only want to use the gardening and relationship boosts.

Unfortunately, we're always stuck with "easy mode" whether we want it or not. :|
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Why did you make 2 different threads to discuss the same topic?

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/972165/tiny-house-buffs-just-too-much#latest
  • Options
    Because I realized that this qualify as valid feedback after posting the other one.
  • Options
    Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member

Console Sims 3 is an entirely different game, though. And there's a big reason I wouldn't play any sims games on console -- Sims games are buggy.

Edit: Wow, had to do some editing to get quoting working properly. Kind of funny when talking about bugs -- even the forum has them at the moment.

I play Sims 4 on console. Sure we have to wait forever for updates and MFPS still isn't on console but playing on my PS4 is a personal preference and I am glad we have something on console at least.
  • Options

I play Sims 4 on console. Sure we have to wait forever for updates and MFPS still isn't on console but playing on my PS4 is a personal preference and I am glad we have something on console at least.

Oh, I don't think it's a good thing that Sims is buggy as all get out -- it hurts console players much more than it hurts PC players because of mods. Bethesda is another developer where their willingness to release very buggy games for modders to fix really hurts especially PS players (xbox does allow for some modding of some games).
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    pearlbh wrote: »

I agree.

I have to give up a lot of room for skill building items in a tiny house. Want to go to the jungle and bring back relics, your sim has to go outside to use the workbench, flower arranging - outside, potions - outside, gardening in more than 2 pots - outside, workout - outside.
  • Options
    Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member

Oh, I don't think it's a good thing that Sims is buggy as all get out -- it hurts console players much more than it hurts PC players because of mods. Bethesda is another developer where their willingness to release very buggy games for modders to fix really hurts especially PS players (xbox does allow for some modding of some games).

True, but unfortunately all we can do is put our opinions out there and hope for the best. There are times that I've felt like the console port was an afterthought or that console players got the short end of the stick.

Either way, all we can do is wait hope we get updates or packs. I still enjoy the game mind you, but when Vampires were broken for over a year, I made an account here on the forums just to point out the bugs that did get fixed, took way too long when the bug reports were swamped with simmers running into them regularly.

I want to buy Tiny Living but it apparently has bugs, the buffs do seem a bit OP and the console version is, I think, two updates behind PC...
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    edited February 2020

True, but unfortunately all we can do is put our opinions out there and hope for the best. There are times that I've felt like the console port was an afterthought or that console players got the short end of the stick.

Either way, all we can do is wait hope we get updates or packs. I still enjoy the game mind you, but when Vampires were broken for over a year, I made an account here on the forums just to point out the bugs that did get fixed, took way too long when the bug reports were swamped with simmers running into them regularly.

I want to buy Tiny Living but it apparently has bugs, the buffs do seem a bit OP and the console version is, I think, two updates behind PC...

When the sims 4 was released I was going to buy a console instead of a computer but then I read that Maxis had no plans to ever release the sims 4 on consoles. So then I bought a computer.

If the buffs are too strong you can use the tiny living lot to get the lot build size and then change it back to a standard residential lot and the buffs will go away. If you put the lot on the gallery, just tell people if they want the buffs to change the lot from residential to the tiny lot and the buffs will be back.

The buffs are optional, on or off with just the click of a mouse button. You don't have to wait for a patch to remove the buffs, you can do it yourself and then use lot traits to get the skill buffs you want. You can also spend the reward points to make skill buffs for the sim you want to have high skill buffs and the other sims on the lot won't be affected by high skill buffs.

Eta. I just tested it. Turning the lot back to residential, the fine buff is still on your sim until you leave the lot and come back. The fine buff is not on your sim anymore until you change the lot back to the tiny lot.
    Post edited by DragonAge_300905 on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Someone did write a mod for nerfing the buffs.

https://kuttoe.itch.io/tiny-house-nerfs
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited February 2020
    I wish the developers were more in tune with gameplay design and balance with The Sims. The Sims 4 feels as though any kind of leadership within game design have left the building, and all we are left with are watching the same old animations from the same old objects time and time again, as well as patches/packs which only simplify an already too easy game.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I think it is good for people who play with challenges on short lifespans plus if I don't want the buffs I have the choice not to build a tiny home which is really easy to do.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller