Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you use the seasons slider?

I've played sims 3 a lot years ago and just recently came back to it. I swear i never noticed that there were sliders for seasons! It's such a wonderful tool!
I set my spring and autumn for 7 days, summer for 14 days and winter for 5 days. I love winter, but i have sims live a slightly smaller lifespan than normal, and if a sim is a children during a long winter he almost won't go to school because of snow blizards.

I love that we can adjust season lengths or even disable seasons altogether. What do you do in your game?

Comments

• Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I only play the current irl season, so I put that slider on max and turn the other seasons off. Then when the seasons change irl I change the settings to fit. :smile: I love this feature!
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The seasons' settings are world/saved game specific, so I use all different settings depending on the world actively being played. Riverview, the central world around which my Traveler mod system is based, has long harsh disgusting winters and warm but very brief summers so it can make me homesick for where I grew up. Tropical worlds have only spring (short, warm, and dry) and summer (long, hot, and wet). The same for desert worlds like Al Simhara, except without the moisture. The others are all in between. The NRaas Tempest mod helps me control the expected weather patterns more finely within each season and allows the placement of extra holidays so that for example worlds entirely without winter can still have Snowflake Day.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @Cororon such a different way to play!

@igazor yeah i should do that too! About nraas, do you know some place where i can read in deph about each module features? Ive been in the official page, but i can only find an overview...
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,971 Member
    I’ve got two worlds, Lucky Palms and Sunlit Tides, which are permanently summer. Makes sense because Sunlit Tides is tropical and Lucky Palms is a desert. I’ve also used permanent summer in worlds where one of my Sims is a gardener, I hate that winter makes plants go dormant and then they never revive.
    Otherwise, worlds are usually left at the standard seven days per season.
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    The seasons' settings are world/saved game specific, so I use all different settings depending on the world actively being played.

Ditto! When it's winter here I sometimes use Traveler to send my sims on a holiday to a sunny summer place, or simply start a new save and use it as their holiday place (that's easier and less risky than travelling).
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    telmarina wrote: »
    About nraas, do you know some place where i can read in deph about each module features? Ive been in the official page, but i can only find an overview...
    If you click on any of the mods on the right side panel of the site (in full-sized browser windows), it will take you to the download page of the mod. From there you will find a Documentation link to a page that lists out all of the mod's menu commands and describes what each one does (except for those mods that don't have any menu commands) and an FAQ link (for most of them).

Example: http://www.nraas.net/community/MasterController

For the mods that have add-on modules such as MasterController, StoryProgression, and Careers among others, we only offer the most basic of descriptions in each case, scroll down a bit on the base mod's download page to see them, but the base mod's Documentation page shows which modules are required for the commands that are add-on module specific.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Thank you! I'll give feedback:)
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    I guess I'm like most people here in that I tailor the weather to whatever world I'm playing. Except for those crazy people who set the weather to irl conditions. :D KIDDING!! You have me wondering now... do you play with aging off? And do you play more than one household in a world? I've been thinking to give rotational play a shot - that's why I ask. Interesting...

Don't you guys always love to hear how someone else plays their Sims?
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited February 2020
    Surreal wrote: »
    I guess I'm like most people here in that I tailor the weather to whatever world I'm playing. Except for those crazy people who set the weather to irl conditions. :D KIDDING!!
    Given Sunset Valley is basically California, I looked up the climate data for Santa Barbara and plugged those into Tempest. Yes, some people go that far :smiley: .
  • Options
    carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    In the majority of my saves, I have all seasons at 14 days each.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I feel the length is too short so I use a mod to make so I can set each season for 84 sim days.
  • Options
    meljonesmeljones Posts: 45 Member
    14 days for spring and fall and 28 for summer. No winter and no weather except fog. I hate weather in my sims games.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @igazor I have installed a few nraas mods.
    I've story progression, careers, overwatch, the fridge one that i love!!, vector, once read, mover, written word, dexter and 2 others that i don't know if im allowed to say :lol: there are so many, and all of them super interesting! I picked a few, those that i feel that will match well my game. Im having a great time! 🙏🙏🙏 They're really well made and thought and add stuff that i was wishing that were in the game in the first place...
    I've been searching for a way to disable notifications for story progression though. I like to receive the summary notification but not at a one by one base. Is that possible?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @telmarina - Ah, welcome to the world of modded gameplay! There's no turning back now, you will be hooked forever. :)

On the stories notification question, on City Hall or an-game computer NRaas > SP > General Options > All Stories > and select the subset of sims (or None) on which you wish to still receive the individual story notification reports. You could also do this more granularly by allowing or disallowing story notifications by subject matter (romance, flirts, careers, skills, etc.) but that takes a bit more work. Note that any such changes require the stories already in the queue to run out first so you may not notice any difference there for a sim day or so.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor thank you for the quick reply!
    Oh i see!! And what would i have to do to allow or disallow story notifications by subject matter? Is it also possible to filter by relationship (friends, family, lovers...)?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Allowing or disallowing all stories by relationship is the easy one, that's the option I pointed you towards under General Options > All Stories.

For subject matter, you will have to find the Stories option under each specific general option like these:
    SP > General Options > Options: Romance > Stories
    SP > General Options > Options: Careers > Stories
    SP > General Options > Options: Skills > Stories
    etc. (there are quite a few of them)

You can mix and match the relationship options under All Stories with the more specific allows and disallows under the various categories. So, for example, you might want Career stories for Friends and Blood Relations but Skill stories for nobody. Or you might want only Friends and Blood Relations for a few categories only and nothing else. There's multiple ways to get the same results.

Personally I live having them all switched on. It makes the world feel more alive to me when I keep getting notifications about sims I might not even recognize by name progressing through their lives. Don't be put off by the barrage of career and skill notifications in the very beginning of using SP, those calm down after a while when the mod is finished adjusting sims' careers and skill levels to where it thinks they should be at that stage of their lives and making sure everyone has sufficient co-workers and bosses.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Thank you again @igazor ! I think i'll sort for subject matter for now untill it's stabilized. Then ill try to switch all on and see. For now Im getting a lot of info from the townies. Its fun and i agree that it makes the world feel alive. But i feel stressed :lol: i have to take care of a family of four and it distracts me :)
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    My seasons are set to different lenghths so that I can have the holidays in different days. Summer 9 days; fall, 6; winter, 5; spring, 8. The total is 28 days, which is good for a game year.
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    Surreal wrote: »
    I guess I'm like most people here in that I tailor the weather to whatever world I'm playing. Except for those crazy people who set the weather to irl conditions. :D KIDDING!!
    Given Sunset Valley is basically California, I looked up the climate data for Santa Barbara and plugged those into Tempest. Yes, some people go that far :smiley: .

Santa Barbara works. :)
  • Options
    KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    Currently, I'm doing a decade challenge, so I set my seasons to between 5 and 7 sim days to give the illusion of years passing by (not that I calculated the years exactly, but the shorter seasons help). I've honestly been enjoying the shorter seasons quite a bit.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I generally play on epic so I jam mine to 28 days each. Though one of these days. I’m going to go into my game.ini file and adjust my Sims lifespans to 29,930 days which essentially is an 82 year lifespan in real life. Though of course I may have to divide that number by three since the seasons are at maximum one month and can’t be changed to reflect the longer period.

So my Sims actual lifespans would be 9,977 days. That’ll drive people nuts.

“hey, Nikkei_Simmer? How long is your legacy going to be...anyways? When are you getting to the next generation for cryin’ out loud?”

:mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~