Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which expansion should I get, personal recommendations

I have get to work, city living, cats and dogs, parenthood and vampires
I'm a family orientated sim player and dabble a bit with the occult stuff. Sims supernatural and generations were my fave sims 3 ones.
Also I just missed the last sale :( should I just wait til the next one or get a decent game back to satiate my want to buy sims stuff as the expansions are a bit expensive.

Comments

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Seasons is a great expansion. It makes holidays much better, you can creat your own holidays, has a good variety of seasonal activities... you can plan parties in advance throught the calendar... Then there's Dine Out and Spa Day, which are both great game packs. I can't imagine playing without Dine Out, going to restaurants as a date, or with frined and family, being able to celebrate birthdays there.. and Spa Day has meditation, yoga, massages. Very well done imo.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    edited January 2020
    @VampireSapphire We sound like we have similar interests. :smiley: Those were my favorite expansions in Sims 3 as well.

You might consider these packs:

Expansion - Get Together. You might have not gotten it so far because it was advertised like it was all about partying and going to night clubs, but the club system itself can be really useful for family style play. You can set up kids play groups, homework groups, house cleaning and gardening groups, or almost anything else you want multiple sims to do autonomously. You can also briefly switch to other households and set up all kinds of clubs to have sims you don't normally play do things autonomously on community lots. After you switch back to your main household, those other sims will continue to meet in their clubs if you travel with your family to the community lot where they meet. You will see them show up and do the activities you assigned them. It's great for having other families show up, together as a family, at places where your family goes. Also, Windenburg is one of the largest worlds that has shipped with any of the packs, and it's beautiful.

Expansion - Seasons. Being able to make you own holidays is fun, the weather adds variety to the sims' days, and they actually included toddlers in a lot of the seasonal activities.

Game pack - Realm of Magic. If you like the supernatural stuff, having spellcasters is fun. They're fairly well done, like the vampires, and the world and hidden lot that come with the pack (though small) are gorgeous.

Game pack - Dine Out. I enjoy having my sims go out to eat.

Stuff packs - Kids room stuff, Toddler stuff and Backyard stuff all offer something for kids or toddlers to do.

Obviously, there are some issues, bugs and puzzling design choices with any of these packs, as there are in pretty much all the packs, but if you are okay with mods, there are mods to fix almost anything that annoys you.

Personally, I always wait for a sale for expansions (50% off). And I usually wait for a sale for game packs (25% off). Stuff packs don't seem to go on sale much, but the other two go on sale frequent enough to wait for in my opinion.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Get Seasons and Realm of Magic, since you're a family + occult player, I think those are good choices. Seasons adds holidays that are great for family play and RoM adds, well, magic.

I can't help but recommend Get Together as well, cause it's my favorite Sims 4 pack and it suits all playstyles.
  • Options
    VampireSapphireVampireSapphire Posts: 90 Member
    Consensus is to get seasons or realm of magic. Might treat myself to realm of magic now and buy seasons on sale one day
  • Options
    @VampireSapphire We sound like we have similar interests. :smiley: Those were my favorite expansions in Sims 3 as well.

Expansion - Get Together. You might have not gotten it so far because it was advertised like it was all about partying and going to night clubs, but the club system itself can be really useful for family style play. You can set up kids play groups, homework groups, house cleaning and gardening groups, or almost anything else you want multiple sims to do autonomously. You can also briefly switch to other households and set up all kinds of clubs to have sims you don't normally play do things autonomously on community lots. After you switch back to your main household, those other sims will continue to meet in their clubs if you travel with your family to the community lot where they meet. You will see them show up and do the activities you assigned them. It's great for having other families show up, together as a family, at places where your family goes. Also, Windenburg is one of the largest worlds that has shipped with any of the packs, and it's beautiful.

Expansion - Seasons. Being able to make you own holidays is fun, the weather adds variety to the sims' days, and they actually included toddlers in a lot of the seasonal activities.

Game pack - Realm of Magic. If you like the supernatural stuff, having spellcasters is fun. They're fairly well done, like the vampires, and the world and hidden lot that come with the pack (though small) are gorgeous.

Stuff packs - Kids room stuff, Toddler stuff and Backyard stuff all offer something for kids or toddlers to do.

Obviously, there are some issues, bugs and puzzling design choices with any of these packs, as there are in pretty much all the packs, but if you are okay with mods, there are mods to fix almost anything that annoys you.

Personally, I always wait for a sale for expansions (50% off). And I usually wait for a sale for game packs (25% off). Stuff packs don't seem to go on sale much, but the other two go on sale frequent enough to wait for in my opinion.

I caved and bought RoM :) I like it so far
  • Options
    Get Seasons and Realm of Magic, since you're a family + occult player, I think those are good choices. Seasons adds holidays that are great for family play and RoM adds, well, magic.

I can't help but recommend Get Together as well, cause it's my favorite Sims 4 pack and it suits all playstyles.

Bought RoM and I aim to buy seasons next time it's on sale :)
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    For EP, I would recommend the Seasons. It's a game changer. I'm pretty sure your Sims will appreciate it. It comes with a calendar & holidays. It's a great addition for family player. Or you might want to consider the Get Together. It comes with a beautiful world & the club system (it's a pretty neat system for family player because you can group your extended family in the club then invites them over for any occasions or events that you're going to plan.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    This is tough I like Seasons, and then I like Dinning Out and the Career one those three are the best for me anyway.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Also I just missed the last sale :( should I just wait til the next one or get a decent game back to satiate my want to buy sims stuff as the expansions are a bit expensive.

Yes.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Seasons is a great pack, not just for the seasons but also for the family play additions. Building snowmen, having snowball fights, having Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, rainy days to hang out in front of the tv, etc. It's always been my favorite pack and it's no exception this time either.

If you like occult gameplay, I think RoM is a really good pack. I absolutely loved Supernaturals, and I also really love RoM. I've been playing almost exclusively with witches. There's a ton of spells and the different types of spellcasters are nice. The realm isn't the most exciting place it could've been but I almost never go there and still absolutely love playing with this pack.

Of course, as a family player, you might also really enjoy Discover University. It gives you a great reason to have your sims skill up and get good grades in the hopes of getting them a scholarship and maybe even allow them to start a distinguished degree instead of a regular one. I really think Uni is a super fun pack, even if I wish we'd only need to take 10 instead of 12 classes (or 12 for distinguished and 10 for the others). Because it's really hard to have multiple sims get A+ grades if they don't live in the same household and/or have too many electives.

Given your description, that's what I think would interest you most. However, I strongly suggest to anyone to also consider Get Famous because it adds so many layers to jobs as a whole, and I think the acting career is brilliant. I never even wanted this pack, and I ended up loving it so much, it's still in my top 3. Same for Dine Out but then I don't have many issues with it ... you might though so I won't suggest it quite as strongly :)
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Consensus is to get seasons or realm of magic. Might treat myself to realm of magic now and buy seasons on sale one day

Oh I see you've already purchased one haha :D I hope you enjoy it!
  • Options
    SimsLyfe516SimsLyfe516 Posts: 4 New Member
    I have all of them my favorites are get to work get famous dine out and the university expansions but I play them all as my sims family is usually very big so I have kids and grand children throughout the different worlds
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member

Very nice recommendations, not sure what to add... except that I agree with everything :D Get Together and Seasons are my favourite expansions and Dine Out (and Vampires) my favourite gamepacks. I have to say I haven't played ROM much yet. I hope you enjoy it!
  • Options
    CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    What you doing not having Seasons, boo? How did you skip that, lol?

But... it sounds like you are a lot like me as far as play goes so here are the two options I would have:
    1) wait for a sale and get a stuff pack now (which never go sale anyway), or
    2) make a bundle

Depending on the gameplay you're yearning for I would do number 1
  • Options
    ObaniMoonObaniMoon Posts: 18 Member
    Realm of magic would be a pretty good expansion for you.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Expansion - Get Together. You might have not gotten it so far because it was advertised like it was all about partying and going to night clubs, but the club system itself can be really useful for family style play. You can set up kids play groups, homework groups, house cleaning and gardening groups, or almost anything else you want multiple sims to do autonomously. You can also briefly switch to other households and set up all kinds of clubs to have sims you don't normally play do things autonomously on community lots. After you switch back to your main household, those other sims will continue to meet in their clubs if you travel with your family to the community lot where they meet. You will see them show up and do the activities you assigned them. It's great for having other families show up, together as a family, at places where your family goes.

This comment is so great! I never thought of adding my families as clubs so they visit lots together when I'm playing other families. I'm going to try this! :smiley: