Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I don't understand the point of CC being a thing on the gallery for Sims and lots...

When ever I download one with CC it just comes up with no hair, or takes items away saying it was CC? So it looks like the CC doesn't download. Like you have to download it separately. Am I doing something wrong? What's the point of even uploading sims/lots with CC then?
heartstopper-couple.gif

Comments

• Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    When ever I download one with CC it just comes up with no hair, or takes items away saying it was CC? So it looks like the CC doesn't download. Like you have to download it separately. Am I doing something wrong? What's the point of even uploading sims/lots with CC then?

CC does not download from the gallery (thank God!). It's only letting you know that the creator used CC to build/create that sim/lot. It's up to you to track down that cc and install it into your own game.

In my opinion, there is no reason to download things created with CC, because chances are... it won't look that way in your game. But I am over the moon grateful that the Sims team learned from that nightmare that was the exchange and made it were CC does not transfer across the gallery.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I upload sims and lots with cc because I want to have a backup for myself. I don't intend for anyone to download them.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,375 Member
    edited December 2019
    I find it kinda useful for those times when I'm looking for sims or lots to put into a themed save. Chances are, if I'm looking for elves, fairies, cavemen, androids or whatever, I already have the cc the creators used, so the styled sims transfer just fine.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I upload sims and lots with cc because I want to have a backup for myself. I don't intend for anyone to download them.

I do this, too. I use the gallery as my own personal cloud storage. And it's an easy way to transfer a family or lot between my computers. And since I copy my mods folder to all my computers, I can easily download the family or lot without losing anything.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

I upload my cc sims and lots to my library. I don't ever upload them to the gallery. Why load them to the gallery?
  • Options
    Cj2501Cj2501 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey,
    I have a strange problem with my cc. Furniture sets, objects, lots etc. can download, but cc that are clothes, hairs, makeup, etc can't. Whenever I try to download hair mods for my Sims 4 a message pops up on my laptop saying "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page."

Honestly I have tried everything so far and nothing seems to work, I'm losing hope.

Please help ASAP!!
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

I upload my cc sims and lots to my library. I don't ever upload them to the gallery. Why load them to the gallery?

True. You can upload to your library without checking that “share to gallery” option. If you know your builds/Sims aren’t for anyone else, then don’t check that box, right? I don’t get it either.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,127 Member
    edited December 2019

I know right? I gather a lot of people do it though. I did upload one lot to the gallery for that reason, then it occurred to me that all I really need to do is have it in my library and make a copy of the Tray folder to my desktop or the cloud or wherever. I also back up my whole Sims 4 folder just to be extra cautious because I did lose my game once.

I'm glad CC doesn't download either, that caused a lot of problems with the Sims 2&3 sites if you didn't know you were getting it and got bad ones. There were some that were like little Trojan horses, hitching a ride along with other CC and you couldn't get rid of them. I still won't download anything that says it has CC anyway.

I do think for the benefit of those who want to use it, the creators could include the names of the CC items in their description.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

If your tray "library" is too full, it can really make your computer lag. I hardly use my library and use the gallery just as an online cloud save myself.
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »

True. You can upload to your library without checking that “share to gallery” option. If you know your builds/Sims aren’t for anyone else, then don’t check that box, right? I don’t get it either.

As I said. It's much easier for me to share between my computers via the online gallery. Why would I try to go through the hassle of locating the files in my tray folder (thanks for that lovely mess, EA) when I can upload to the gallery, get on my second desktop or my laptop and just easily download the item. In seconds.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    ChelleJo wrote: »

As I said. It's much easier for me to share between my computers via the online gallery. Why would I try to go through the hassle of locating the files in my tray folder (thanks for that lovely mess, EA) when I can upload to the gallery, get on my second desktop or my laptop and just easily download the item. In seconds.

So if you log into the same Origin account on 2 computers and open the gallery in game, you have 2 different libraries?
  • Options
    ChelleJo wrote: »

So if you log into the same Origin account on 2 computers and open the gallery in game, you have 2 different libraries?

Each computer has their own unique library (tray folder in documents). But, since I use the same origin account for all my computers (obviously) then I can easily use the gallery.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

I like having them on the gallery just in case my computer blows up. I don't get why people check the box to see uploads with cc if they don't want to download those?
  • Options
    CelSims wrote: »

I like having them on the gallery just in case my computer blows up. I don't get why people check the box to see uploads with cc if they don't want to download those?

I have downloaded Sims that were made with CC before. I’m aware they’ll be hairless and nekkid but I do it because I like their faces. I can put my own clothes/hair on them, but I’m not so good with faces. This way my people can look different.

I would love to be able to have the option of downloading CC with Sims/lots in the future. It would make things so much simpler.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I mostly upload NoCC stuff to the gallery, I have a back up of my tray files in an External HD, plus I make zip files of my must have lots and Sims. That way I can keep my library empty, it makes my game run way better.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 29,007 Member

Can't you just back it up by loading it to your library? If you keep your Tray, all should be well. I only share on the Gallery when I think others might like my lot or Sims.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    One thing I really like about the gallery is how easy it is to bypass creations using CC. So if you don't like things made with CC, you just leave the tag unchecked. :)

I don't use CC like I used to, but even when I did, I never browsed the gallery with that tag checked, because I didn't feel like having to track down everything and add it to my game manually. Even still, I preferred it that way, regardless; say the gallery glitched (it's done this in the past) and didn't filter something with CC out. If it transferred CC, you'd then have it in your game, and I definitely wouldn't care for that.
  • Options
    keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    On this note, I've noticed that the gallery will claim "CC" was used when you do things like use created in-game paintings, etc. on the walls of a lot. I'm pretty sure it marked them as "CC" when it was simply paintings, and not custom still-shot "paintings". Possibly anything that has a sim-name tagged to it as the "creator" of said object? I personally found this annoying. BUT, as mentioned above, tons of people upload lots and families to the gallery as a backup for themselves and not so much for other's use.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited December 2019
    Anyone who wants CC to download with Gallery Sims obviously doesn't remember what the Exchange could be like. It wasn't just a dumpster fire. It was a dumpster fire in a dumpster full of barrels of nuclear waste that had rolled into the Cuyahoga River and set it on fire too.

Also, saving sims to your Library doesn't back them up, it just puts a copy in your Tray. Uploading them to the Gallery backs them up. Soi unless you regularly back up your sims 4 folder, preferably to a USB stick or external drive, they aren't backed up. EA should really give us te option of marking stuff on the Gallery as private.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    It's a pain having to track it all down, I wish there was an option or a prompt where the cc would download with the sims. That way you have a choice.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Anyone who wants CC to download with Gallery Sims obviously doesn't remember what the Exchange could be like. It wasn't just a dumpster fire. It was a dumpster fire in a dumpster full of barrels of nuclear waste that had rolled into the Cuyahoga River and set it on fire too.

Also, saving sims to your Library doesn't back them up, it just puts a copy in your Tray. Uploading them to the Gallery backs them up. Soi unless you regularly back up your sims 4 folder, preferably to a USB stick or external drive, they aren't backed up. EA should really give us te option of marking stuff on the Gallery as private.

And anyone who ever had to deal with those azzozio (whatever they were) counters would never want cc to transfer again. Those things were the devil and broke me from ever using the exchange ever again.

If the gallery ever went to transferring CC, I'd never download anything again, because people have already figured out how to get CC sims and lots to not be tagged with CC. Sims with custom skins and skin details are not tagged as CC, and houses will be missing furnishings and wallpapers or floors. I have everything released for Sims 4, so it's not me not having the content. Plus, with the sims, you can tell in their pictures they have CC skin and skin details.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    And the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 boots. Don't forget the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 boots! And the cursed doll......
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    This is why i make every effort for anything i upload to be free of CC content. it is more trouble than it is worth without knowing what mods a user has uploaded with, not that EA would ever let you know, being third party and no support for such things anyway, they got no reason to do such a thing.

if i see anything uploaded has CC i take it down as quick as possible and try to find what is causing it and then re-upload when it is free of CC. often that means disabling mods and scripts from the options and reloading the game.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2020
    If I upload anything with cc like I did with the few sims that I have on my profile then I link where to get the cc from in the sims description area. I can't make nice looking sims without Kijiko eyelashes. :D
  • Options
    XwantonXwanton Posts: 85 Member
    I use CC on all my sims and use the gallery as an easy way to share them with my friend. Of course, it means I have to share the attached content another way. I'm fine with having to do it that way because I completely get why EA won't allow CC to be downloaded through the game. I wasn't around for much of it but I heard all about the issues caused with Sims3packs and the corrupt content that could spread throughout games. It's not really worth the risk.