Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 custom content tips & tricks

This has no doubt been done before, but lately I've been struggling with how I organise my cc and was curious about how the sims community sets their cc up. So, my question is, how do you organize your cc? Do you have any tips and/or tricks for beginners (what can cause conflicts, things you've learned the hard way, etc)? I personally use CCMagic, which is a good program but sometimes just does not work at all. I'm wondering whether I should just go back to my old format which was manually putting the cc into my mods folder and merging it all. Anyway, I really would love to see what you guys have to say and any suggestions you might have! I'm personally slightly obsessed with cc, and I would really love to know I'm not the only one hahaha!
sup.

giphy.gif

Comments

• Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    You are not the only one obsessed by cc. :grin:

I have yet to try CC Magic or merging my content. I'm currently setting up a new for me (but better than my laptap) desktop to play the game on so I would be interested in comments from others as well. I have not finished adding store content so I'm definitely not ready to add cc yet. It doesn't take too long to load my saves in my old laptop, but it is over 10 minutes right now. Gives me time to go get coffee or wash my dishes before playing. :lol:

I currently convert all my cc to package files and have set up folders in my package file to sort the cc. Once I add something to the game and know I am going to keep it in I add it to the appropriate folder. I'm sure there must be a better way to organize things. Hope someone else chimes in. :smiley:
  • Options
    ingridmfingridmf Posts: 67 Member
    edited December 2019
    I don't merge my CC either, I have 1.8 GB (and i only re-installed TS3 a month ago :D ) and it loads pretty quickly (I have a gaming laptop).

Basically I have my Mods folder organized by category (like most people), with more specific names for content I have more of. I don't know if that makes sense but for example, I have way more female clothes so I'll have "Female Casual" "Female Formal" etc... folders and just a "Male clothes" folder. I have different male and female folders for hair, clothes and shoes.

And then, I have the exact same folders somewhere else on my computer (my Downloads folder) but with images instead of the files; with the exact same name as the CC files. That way if there's a CC I don't like in-game (usually the ones that don't accept all morphs and make my curvy sims skinny) I can easily find and remove it.

Also I convert all my CC to Packages, which again makes removing stuff way easier. The only CC is have in sims3pack are worlds.

I'm curious to see how others organize their folders as well!
    Post edited by ingridmf on
  • Options
    buffyballoonbuffyballoon Posts: 67 Member
    @bekkasan @ingridmf thank you both for sharing, as I said I find this stuff fascinating! Both your games sound like they run really well which is awesome! I'm honestly surprised that it does so well without merging :D I love the Sims 3, it's my favorite out of all of them, but it looks horrible without cc (at least default skins and stuff haha). I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessed with cc! Honestly though, I'm feeling like I should go back to my old way of working cc, which was sorting it manually. Anyway, we'll see what other people say!
    sup.

giphy.gif
  • Options
    What do you mean by sorting it out manually? Does CCMagic sort CC as well? I've never used it, I thought it was only to merge CCs into one package file?
  • Options
    buffyballoonbuffyballoon Posts: 67 Member
    CC magic does merge package files and compresses them, but you are also able to organize your cc through it as well. You can move your cc into subfolders and stuff like that to make things easier to find and delete if you don't want them. It's a good program. What I meant by sorting manually was do what CC magic does, but myself. So I'll sort out the folders and merge and compress the content instead of CC magic doing it for me. I hope this makes sense!
    sup.

giphy.gif
  • Options
    Ohhh I see!
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,374 Member
    edited December 2019
    This tutorial taught me everything I know about organizing cc:

https://ohmysims.tumblr.com/post/24336581511
  • Options
    AaeiynAaeiyn Posts: 521 Member
    edited January 2020
    I like to manually sort my Mods and CC. I download. Go to my Download File, move the thing I downloaded to a Folder that I have dedicated to opening Mods and CC Files. And move the actual files to their appropriate places (in my actual Game Files). I need to be in control, like in my Sims games ;P