Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can you help this GB/MB/KB dummy please?

I love CC but I have GOT TO pare down my files. Is a more detailed item heavier in file size? There are alpha hairs that I have downloaded and I was surprised how large the file was!!! I didn't think it had that much in it, but it's 1GB. That's just ONE file of cc creator hair. Any help on how to narrow down files is EXTREMELY welcomed...but please don't say 'don't use custom content' because some of it I just love. Thank you so much on ANY help! @rosemow can you help? You've always saved me.

Comments

• Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Yes, I find that the higher polly count, more detailed an item is, typically the larger the file size is. Do you mean a single hair file is 1GB or that a single creator's hair folder is 1GB? Because if its a single hair, I would seriously check that one out... I've never had a hair file be more than a few MB (20-30 at most) I would worry about what else might be attached with a single hair that large.

Something I do to make sure my cc files don't get too large: I set myself limits on how many items I can have of a certain type. (I might only allow myself 5 sets of female cc shoes for example) I also don't allow myself do download household and build/buy items because I know I have a shopping problem. If I buy a fridge, I find I also convince myself I need a matching stove, diswasher, counter set, trash can, breakfast bar and stools, curtains, knick-knacks, rug, dining table and chairs....you see my point I hope :dizzy:

Right now, I have a problem with cc makeup. I have so much my makeup catalogue in CAS is super hard to navigate. I'm in the process of figuring out which ones I can and can't live without. Its a pain in the plum bob. :)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited December 2019
    Why I dislike Alpha hairs as a lot them are not properly optimized. I think 20MB for a hair is already crazy. 1gb sounds crazy and not worth having if its just one hair file and not a folder.

Having very high poly count items in the game with sims walking around with it can definitely cause a performance hit.

Sometimes I condense files with s4s to help loading times with merging. It does help. Though I would forget any single file thats 25MB and higher for an item.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    KatzcKatzc Posts: 506 Member
    Thank you guys! You know EXACTLY how I feel too! @duhboy2u2 you are like me as far as if I buy ONE thing, I have to have the matching whatever! LOL! I will take both replies and will do. I have shoes galore and usually have my sims wearing the same two or three pair! :s So now I'm off to clear up some files. I can't say THANK YOU enough for your input. It means the world to me. @LadyKyn and @duhboy2u2 thanks again so much!
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    One CC hair file is 1 GB? Oh they trippin trippin