Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Today is a good day. No more kitty butt's on the table!!

It has taken some time. A lot of time to be fair but finally we are here, drumroll please, Torsten is no longer jumping up on the table!

7306bb57bd75917e9e1d53b543f41a1439bf6021.png

e64bab318baccf9cac07857c2ad28a23d3a29668.png
I love that little Ronja is laughing at the cat so obviously ignoring her mom and prancing on the table ;)

5d4b3a42ebe6ce28613d478fa8a8f42ada327d1c.png
A quiet moment, just you and your love sitting together enjoying the peace when all the kiddos are asleep, now with added cat-butt.

ab21c33e2b0996d4e7b2d9e3c22d728fd05d35d6.png
And finally we are here. Good on you Torsten! He is standing in the cake but we will take that, there's cat-hair everywhere anyways.

Comments

• Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited December 2019
    Congrats! Last time my Sims had a cat, it got upset when my Sims told it to get off the table and counters. Over and over. I found that offensive and got rid of it in a fit of rage :s

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited December 2019
    Maybe real life american cats that they are based on in game are different, but we just had to scold our cats a couple of times to keep the off the counters.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Congrats! Last time my Sims had a cat, it got upset when my Sims told it to get off the table and counters. Over and over. I found that offensive and got rid of it in a fit of rage :s

Ha ha, yes it does takes some time and patience to learn a cat a new trick. The cats and dogs really take a lot of time so my current sim has a little hedgehog instead.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member

As the caretaker of actual cats I find this amusing. You have to compromise with cats. For instance I have four counters in my kitchen, the cats aren't allowed on the ones near the stove (because fire and fur don't mix). The other counters are fair game.

You can't have cats and not allow them to climb and jump, it is just their nature and what makes them fun to live with.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    @troshalom There's absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting your cats in certain places. As owner you make sure your home offers enough fun and diversity for them where you don't mind them being like the livingroom, etc. I grew up with four cats and am planning on getting a Maine 🐸🐸🐸🐸 , but not before doing proper research and catproofing my house as well as making a secure outdoor space :)

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    My parents' cats know not to go on the dining table when someone is in the room (most of the time at least), but they certainly go there when no one is watching. I've never trained a cat to stay away from counters in sims.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    @troshalom There's absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting your cats in certain places. As owner you make sure your home offers enough fun and diversity for them where you don't mind them being like the livingroom, etc. I grew up with four cats and am planning on getting a Maine plum , but not before doing proper research and catproofing my house as well as making a secure outdoor space :)

Oh I love Maine 🐸🐸🐸🐸 cats. I love cats of all kinds.
  • Options
    Yeah...the censor thing kicked in =/

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    My parents' cats know not to go on the dining table when someone is in the room (most of the time at least), but they certainly go there when no one is watching. I've never trained a cat to stay away from counters in sims.

First time I did this in the sims, usually my sims let their cats do pretty much everything they want but I wanted to try something new :)
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited December 2019
    My sim cats got the pop up saying they learned to stay off the counters but they still climb on them, so think its a bug. My real life cats don't jump on counters or tables, we have a "Jackson Galaxy"type walkway in almost all the rooms. They don't get human food so we can place a plate of food on the counter and they won't steal the food, They get a mixture of dry and wet diet so we don't really have too much hunting happening like when they used to be on a dry diet only. All advice I got from watching My cat from hell on Animal planet LOL :D

TiSzt6r.png
    My fluffy girl Socks <3
  • Options
    That is a great series, I might add =)

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I had to dig up this to share:
    nFuW6CP.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    I had to dig up this to share:
    nFuW6CP.png

Oh, now that's really adding cat butt!

I used to like cats. However, house-sitting for my parents, I brought my parakeet along to care for him, too. Natural and easier than finding someone to take care of him when I was away. One day the bedroom door got foolishly left open. My parents' Silver-Point Siamese cat decided to take the opportunity. I walked in to find him clinging onto the side of my bird's CAGE. Parakeets are fragile beings. My poor bird was hobbling across his perch shortly after this event. He'd had a stroke, thanks to that dang cat! He didn't live very long after that, either. Parakeets can live up to 12 years old, too. That was years ago and I've never gotten over it. That bird was finger-trained and very personable.

I am forever, now, a dog person.

But, I'm very glad you got the cat trained to not trounce upon the surfaces. Hairy beasts that most of them are, they also leave behind flea-dirt. Yuk. That picture of the cat sitting on the cake is precious. Yikes.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    edited December 2019
    Nope no cats on counters at any time, whether in real life or sim life, that’s nasty. If I make food or eat there, keep your dirty-cat-litter-digging-paws off where people eat.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    While I train my sim cats out of eating people food and eating and playing in trash I let them jump on counters and beg for food. Some cats take advantage and sleep on the dining table and I wish there was a way to just train them out of this and still let them jump on counters.
  • Options
    FantasytalesrusFantasytalesrus Posts: 17 Member
    Mine use to jump on the counters and eat the food as it was being prepared, now he's a good boy
  • Options
    @JC1979 That is my reasoning as well.

• Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    @troshalom There's absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting your cats in certain places. As owner you make sure your home offers enough fun and diversity for them where you don't mind them being like the livingroom, etc. I grew up with four cats and am planning on getting a Maine plum , but not before doing proper research and catproofing my house as well as making a secure outdoor space :)

Oh I love Maine plum cats. I love cats of all kinds.

I'm owned by two Maine 'plums' as well - they have wonderful personalities.

When I was a kid, my dad was quite strict with our cat and scolded her for getting up on the kitchen counters (he grew up with dogs), so she learnt not to get on the counters when dad was around. Mine have free run of the house - the kitchen has nice, high places for them to climb, like the fridge and the top of the overhead cabinets. They think it's a giant cat tree.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    @GalacticGal it is traumatizing when cats catch birds. My female cat is a Ragdoll mix and she won't eat birds, but she catches them for me. I thank her and then ask her not to catch birds for me.

But both cats are pretty good with keeping rats and snakes out the yard. My male cat (the ginger in the pic) doesn't hunt to eat. Whatever he catches he plays with them to death. So I have to watch them like a hawk to quickly catch any live animal/snake they bring into the house so I can release them if they aren't injured.

Both my cats I adopted from a shelter, the Ragdoll mix came from a feral colony so she is a pretty good hunter. The ginger tabby was a stray. He is content to eat cat food and just catch bugs.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Yeah...the censor thing kicked in =/

I'm actually starting to find the censor sort of offensive itself. It makes me think of offensive words that I wouldn't ever have thought of without the overzealous censor.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    JC1979 wrote: »
    Nope no cats on counters at any time, whether in real life or sim life, that’s nasty. If I make food or eat there, keep your dirty-cat-litter-digging-paws off where people eat.

😁😂 Actually both my cats tend to wash their paws in their water bowls (they have three of them. They use one of them to wash their paws). Cats are actually quite clean. They tend to clean their paws after the litter box.

I'm pretty flexible though. There are some places they can't go in the house, but pretty much all places are fair game.

It was fun when they were kittens and claws would fly over my head as I was sleeping. They loved chasing each other on the bed and jumping up on my headboard. Thankfully at almost 6 years old, they have mellowed.

But my female (Ragdoll mix) loves to be on top of the kitchen cabinets. She also likes to climb trees when we go for walks.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited December 2019
    Congrats for people who are able to keep their (real life) kitties from jumping on counters.

My cat never learned it. I tried to teach her that for almost 17 years. I'm actually sure she knew she shouldn't do it, but she was very mischievous. She was the sweetest and kindest creature ever, but she always did what she wanted... with a mischievous look on her face, like saying " ha ha, look what I can do". It was like a game for her. My cat died 6 years ago and I still miss her a lot. <3

I'm glad I can teach my Sim kitties what not to do. Whenever my Sims have mischievous cats and they first ignore it when they're being lectured about jumping on countrs, it always reminds me of my cat.
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    That is a great series, I might add =)

The best <3 Learn so much from it. Transformed my house and my two cats ;)
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i let my cats do whatever they want besides scratching furniture. our dinner table has turned into the cat table, they eat on top of it and we don't use it at all anymore.