Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you notice lag from adding just one more EP?

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
I stopped adding packs a while ago, because I worry it would affect my game's performance too badly. But I must admit that the performance is still surprisingly good after adding all EPs bar 1 + 5 GPs + 1SP + some CC. For all later installments I have expected a bad over all effect, but it was hardly noticeable perform wise. And that's on a low end computer with integrated vid card.

My biggest problem is remembering to turn off all programs running in the background, as I tend to have lots of browser fans up while gaming, because I like to switch back and for. And, lately it seems that Windows have started doing major background tasks on random, which will lag my game for a few minutes, but then stop. Wish I could turn off most of those tasks while game is running (ie Windows updating system search indexes seems like a waste of resources while gaming).

Anyway - what's your experience with lagging from adding one more EP? Do you notice any bigger impact? If you are on a super top notch computer I guess you are fine no matter how many packs you install, but if you are getting close to some limit...?

I heard mostly new forms for relations between sims all over your worlds might slow things down. But if my active household is not building huge networks, would it then be any impact from a new pack? I mean, new items in catalogs shouldn't really affect my active household in live mode, unless they own those items? A new world should not affect my active household unless they actually go there?

I'd love to add more packs, but not knowing how badly it might slow down my game, I hesitate. I love making videos, and therefore I depend on a certain performance. I guess there's no way to tell for sure before trying, but is there some sort of a general rule I should be aware of? Is there a way to reduce Window's background tasks (I only know about unplugging web access... ha!).

If I knew a bit more about how the additions affect technically, maybe it gets smoother now that EA can focus on 64 instead of 32. Say, if there is actually no reason to worry, I'd gladly grab a full bundle :)
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
Post edited by Simmerville on

Comments

• Options
    bsimsbsims Posts: 1 New Member
    You can't expect good performance with an intel card. Try using Razer Game Booster and maybe clean up your computer a bit, I find that helps a ton.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    bsims wrote: »
    You can't expect good performance with an intel card. Try using Razer Game Booster and maybe clean up your computer a bit, I find that helps a ton.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that out!

I'm fully aware that my tech specs are way below what is recommended, and that is also why I'm surprised how well this game performs, and why I hesitate to add even more packs.

Btw: My system says I've got
    AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 3.10 GHz
    8 GB RAM, 64-bites
    ... it's pretty low-end, right?
  • Options
    thekillergreecethekillergreece Posts: 14 New Member
    You need to remember that Sims 4 were made mainly for low-end PCs and they nailed the performance and optimization. If you were playing The Sims 3 with 4-5 expansion packs, your game would have extensive lags, stutters, etc.
    With Sims 4, you don't have that at all. No matter how many packs you install, you SHOULDN'T have lags long as you configure your settings accordingly to your PC specs.

8GB ram should be minimum, very low-end yet.
    Idk about your CPU but what's your GPU? If it's Intel, you are out of luck as they aren't built for these games. More like 2D games or whatever.

Sometimes it's time to upgrade! :)
    I run the game on ultra settings because I got a powerful pc (i7 8700, gtx 1070 ti, 16gb ram) but this shouldn't demotivate you. My laptop has weak specs but can run at medium settings without lags.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I've got some lag today but it seems to be only when I have club gatherings.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    ...8GB ram should be minimum, very low-end yet.
    Idk about your CPU but what's your GPU? If it's Intel, you are out of luck as they aren't built for these games. More like 2D games or whatever....

Well, as I'm quite pleased with my game despite computer being poor, I might have had some luck after all :) I'll get a better computer eventually, but not as long as it's doing okay. And I don't play any other games.

But, what you actually said is that adding more packs should not cause much trouble, because of how the game is built. That's uplifting to read, maybe I should just worry a bit less :)

I did play TS1, TS2 and TS3, and yes, the latter had a totally different lag, probably because of the open world and all those small events going on outside your own lot. It worked well for a fresh game, but lagged as the generations were added or population grew.
  • Options
    thekillergreecethekillergreece Posts: 14 New Member
    If your current game does not lag then I don't see how adding more packs will make it lag more. There is no open-world anyway.

Yes, Sims 3 had open world. But, EA seemed to rush the execution or something which resulted in severe path-finding issues which made the game hang as the A.I tried to understand the executions and so on. Sims 3 works fine for a base game but the performance becomes worse if you add atleast 2-3 packs.

With Sims 4, you don't have that issue at all, atleast for my pc. You shouldn't have this issue either! So, try and see.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    I stopped adding packs a while ago, because I worry it would affect my game's performance too badly. But I must admit that the performance is still surprisingly good after adding all EPs bar 1 + 5 GPs + 1SP + some CC. For all later installments I have expected a bad over all effect, but it was hardly noticeable perform wise. And that's on a low end computer with integrated vid card.

My biggest problem is remembering to turn off all programs running in the background, as I tend to have lots of browser fans up while gaming, because I like to switch back and for. And, lately it seems that Windows have started doing major background tasks on random, which will lag my game for a few minutes, but then stop. Wish I could turn off most of those tasks while game is running (ie Windows updating system search indexes seems like a waste of resources while gaming).

Anyway - what's your experience with lagging from adding one more EP? Do you notice any bigger impact? If you are on a super top notch computer I guess you are fine no matter how many packs you install, but if you are getting close to some limit...?

I heard mostly new forms for relations between sims all over your worlds might slow things down. But if my active household is not building huge networks, would it then be any impact from a new pack? I mean, new items in catalogs shouldn't really affect my active household in live mode, unless they own those items? A new world should not affect my active household unless they actually go there?

I'd love to add more packs, but not knowing how badly it might slow down my game, I hesitate. I love making videos, and therefore I depend on a certain performance. I guess there's no way to tell for sure before trying, but is there some sort of a general rule I should be aware of? Is there a way to reduce Window's background tasks (I only know about unplugging web access... ha!).

If I knew a bit more about how the additions affect technically, maybe it gets smoother now that EA can focus on 64 instead of 32. Say, if there is actually no reason to worry, I'd gladly grab a full bundle :)

I have all the packs and ZERO lag - runs as perfectly as it does with just 1 pack. This kind of game engine does not bog down. It is not like all the previous game engine that do bog down. If you have lag it might be your pc as it is not the game. 7 others in my family with all packs and playing daily - they have the same experience as i do and we all have different pcs - but we all have high end gaming pcs. None of us have mods but 4 does have CC. Not me though - I don't use CC or mods in an unfinished game.

Lots of CC might have issues and mods of course seeing Uni gave us new content that might affect the old meshes so you should check CC - especially furniture.... in case the meshes were changed. I know one of my granddaughters tried to redo her dorms with CC furn and the game kept crashing. She removed her CC and redid the same dorms with game content - no more crashes or slow downs.

By the way Sims 3 only has issues because of how easy the routing is to break and the fact it needs more use of the ram - it can only use 3.2 gigs of your ram no matter how much you have because they should have upped it to 64 bit and never did - 32 bit can only use 3.2 gigs of ram. 64 bit is endless.... compared. Sim3 should have never came out in 32 bit it was too big to start with for 32 bit....
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Mine runs great until windows starts doing it's random updating tasks. It drives me crazy that I can't turn this off.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I had a ton of lag while my Sim was at the university taking guest classes or tutoring students. Some lots seem pre-disposed to lag, particularly when there are a lot of NPCs on the lot or in the neighbourhood.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Actually DU world is very good performance-wise, I don't notice any lags whatsoever.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited November 2019
    I haven’t had any lags. I have all of the packs other than the occult ones and the game runs perfectly. I also have a bunch of CC hairdos running around. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the game performance of DU. It is very smooth despite all of the campus goings-on.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    only had minor lag in the university pack but its just seconds before it returns to normal and doesnt do it again. usually the sims 4 team optimizes the game very well that lag is almost non-existent and with the 64bit only release they should be able to do more with the wiggle room they have.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I play on a laptop (a decent-ish one, but that is slowing down from being rather old) so my game gets a bit laggy, but not necessarily any worse with each pack release. My issue personally, I believe comes from the fact that I have a very large generational save that I've been playing since GT came out and it's heavily modded.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, plays modless and on newer saves and experiences little to no lag whatsoever. Even now with DU being installed. :)
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Actually, I'm noticing less lag/no lag at all since adding DU. I don't know if EA fixed something with the DU Pre-patch or what, but my simulation lag is completely gone and I'm not getting any performance lag either.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited November 2019
    Err, I'm not an expert on computers but I'm playing TS4 on a Lenovo that runs really smoothly. I only use it for gaming and very light work when needed but it's not my primary internet computer or what I'm writing this from. It is generally doing great so far, fingers crossed.

It's called a Lenovo ideapad Y700. I consulted a techier person who tells me what to get when I get a computer. I liked it so much that I got a second Lenovo for other stuff.
    Post edited by ChampandGirlie on
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.