Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Love/hate pre-made homes.

CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
Ever had a pre-made home that you really liked at first glance, but found that you really hated it?

That's how I felt about this little home in Brindleton Bay.
It looks really nice on the outside and the location is really nice too.
It's on the beach, with the ocean sounds and that nice boardwalk path area where people walk their sick and filthy pets.
10-31-19_7-10-08nbspAM.png

They are also living next door to some well-to-do neighbors.
How convenient to have a nice pool nearby. This lot will never have a pool.
11-09-19_9-57-02nbspPM.png

But after playing for a bit, I realized how horrible the layout of this lot was.
The dinning room is way up in the upper left corner, and the kitchen is in the lower right.
The entrance isn't exactly welcoming. It just spills into the dinning room. The staircase placement is just awkward with a weird space behind it.
10-31-19_7-09-58nbspAM.png

Because the kitchen is way over here, sims just stand here and eat whatever they grab out of the fridge.
And now that I think about it, that space sims travel through to get to the kitchen is bigger than the kitchen itself. What a waste of space.
11-02-19_12-10-17nbspAM.png

This is a starter home, so eventually you will need space for the first child.
Only the second floor is so badly planned. That second space is open to the bedroom, and if you wall them both off, so the kid doesn't have to travel through the master bedroom the space gets really small.
11-09-19_9-27-40nbspPM.png

As soon as my sims earned 3,000 simoleons, I got to work renovating this place.
3,000 initially and 1,000 daily as they hustled to bring more money in. The exterior got a minor face lift, not counting the upper level rework.
11-09-19_9-23-21nbspPM.png

The place now has a proper entrance that doesn't just spill into the living spaces. The layout is simple and makes more sense to me.
My sims are constantly broke, so I still need them to make more money to finish decorating the place and making it really homey.
11-09-19_9-25-20nbspPM.png

The master bedroom didn't need to sacrifice space. I put in a new staircase.
Thank you bendy stairs. Oh, and I have room for a bathroom upstairs.
11-09-19_9-25-31nbspPM.png

I love playing this home so much now.
I was only supposed to play it until there daughter was seven days away from becoming a teen.
I was then supposed to move on to the next household in my rotation. They are acquiring more stuff.
11-05-19_8-18-02nbspAM.png

And I had to add a basement for their media equipment.
I will add a laundry room down here too.
11-09-19_10-25-02nbspPM.png
The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Comments

• Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I always like a lot of the structures for the EA builds, though a lot of them do leave a lot to be desired. Some keeping it simple and others overly simple. That BB home I remember liking the look of it, but it was just so empty.

Don't have a picture, but that one house in Forgotten Hollow I thought looked aesthetically pleasing the smaller one, but soon as I load the lot I was pretty 'meh' with the layout. I do like tiny builds, but didn't care too much for it's layout.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Wow great job! I don't really play in the premade homes much, but now I want to give them a try, haha!
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Yours look better than the original. The only premade I like is a starter home in Oasis Springs, it has some empty tiles on the patio roof, when I clicked on it in BB mode I was like woah, so many arrows, how did they do this...I want to try it but I really don’t know what they did. I like the layout too, simple but cute
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Great makeover @CK213 I loved that house as well but found the floor plan somewhat "awkward" Strangely enough relatives of mine bought an old farmhouse years back and it had the dining room on the opposite house side from the kitchen area.
    Guess the original owners had servants so it worked for them and this place actually had stairs to go upper floors off kitchen as well. While the family used the main staircase. LOL What a life someone had in the past. Luckily there was a small breakfast nook as well as no one had servants in this life. Ha ha
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I like the Maxis builds because they don't use MOO that can screw up the lots. :)
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited November 2019
    Great work on that house, @CK213.

I like premade homes. I don't have a problem with lots of free space, because I can fill it with items my Sims need or like. I love gallery, but sometimes it's hard to find suitable playtested houses that have free space to put for example pet stuff in them, like cat trees, huge dog beds etc. Also my Sims need their hobby items and most of the time it's impossible to fit them in those beautiful and already decorated houses from gallery.

Recently I've started to use more premade houses for my Sims to live. I love to download community lots from gallery, but finding suitable playtested homes is taking too much time and it often ends on frustration. It's faster and less stressful to just move my Sims to a premade home that I can decorate myself.

• Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    Layouts always throw me in premade builds. I personally like the outside of many of the basegame builds but the insides are so dark and dreary that I never use them. I should just remodel them all before hand.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    Very nice makeover. I love lots that are actually build with playing the game in mind.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I always have to makeover homes that have staircases splitting the house in the middle. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. I like a nice open line of sight when playing.

Great job on your renovation!
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I've only had a single bachelor sim live there and he moved out when he got married. He wasn't in there long enough to have any issues. I think he had exercise equipment in the "other open bedroom".

It is an attractive bungalow in a convenient location. I've renovated some of the starter homes but not that one. Your renovation does make a lot of sense and add space. Sometimes what looks nice on the outside isn't that functional inside.

I do play with the pre-made houses. They usually have more complex roofing and small architectural details than anything I'd build, but I probably need to do a tutorial on the more complex aspects of building.

As for the kitchen being far from the dining room, I'd probably add a little table near the kitchen. In some cultures, kitchens are smaller and hidden away due to heat, cooking smells and catching on fire. I doubt that was the logic for this one but you'll see that in older houses. Large open plan kitchens are a very modern concept.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Well I can't build worth a plum, so I have to use them whether I like them or not. But mostly I like them & have my favorites, usually the more spacious ones that can accommodate a large family. I don't change them much either, I usually keep the outside structure the same & add or remove things as my household's needs demand, or when the mood strikes me. I usually upgrade beds & kitchen appliances if the house has the cheap ones, and last night I changed one of the little farmhouses in Brindleton Bay from hardwood floors to carpeting, because I thought it looked homier that way, and also because the interior was kind of bland for my liking. Little gradual changes like that are how my houses usually evolve.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Most of the premade homes make me sad. They look great on the outside but inside they're a big empty mess. I just started playing with the Delgato family yesterday and I really like how their house looks on the outside cause it fits in with the Brindleton Bay scenery really well but inside it's huge and has so much pointless empty space. I can't play in houses like this. I wish they would put as much thought and effort into the interior as they do the exterior when making premade homes.
  • Options
    StrangerthanStrangerthan Posts: 345 Member
    I actually love that house as is. You've done a great job remodelling it though!

There's only two houses i really like, that Brindleton Bay one and the spanish style starter in Oasis Springs. Everything else I hate lol.
  • Options
    ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    One of my pet peeves in premade homes, particularly the starter ones, is the dreaded Ambassador/Post-Modern Shower Stall/Mod Pod Beds Combo. I mean, they're colourful yes, but are they comfortable to use? Nope. I usually replace those with a better toilet, a better shower and a better bed (usually City Living's Double Futon). All within 20,000 Simoleons.
    Oakenstead and Hounds Head are my favourite premade homes.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I like some of the pre-made homes. My absolute favorite is Parkshore in the Pendula View neighborhood in Willow Creek. It’s the big green Victorian next door to the Goth’s. I love it, it starts off really empty, but I don’t mind because I always end up giving it a renovation.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    CRASH!
    I am in shock. I think this is only the second time I have had TS4 crash on me.

I am glad I took this picture, because I did not save.
    I had just finished a round of decorations with the funds my sims had earned, so I took a picture.
    11-10-19_9-43-57nbspAM.png

I then went to the exterior to place a bit of roof here.
    Only, the first piece you get is a big square, but I placed it anyway. And then the game crashed.
    11-10-19_9-48-34nbspAM.png

I loaded up again and placed the roof on the ground first, and then resized it to fit.
    11-10-19_9-49-10nbspAM.png

No problem.
    11-10-19_9-51-03nbspAM.png

But now I have to redecorate all over again.
    That's not a big deal, but poor Grace had spent hours on the computer making a mobile app and hacking the Lothario trust fund to get the money. :p
    11-10-19_9-51-22nbspAM.png
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Yes, sometimes the outside of premade houses looks great but the layout on the inside doesn't make sense. To me anyway. I'll either replace or tear down walls. :)

I like what you did there @CK213
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I tend to dislike the premade buildings that were made for premade households, if that makes sense. I like mimimal furniture and decorations so my sims can put their own mark on it.

Watch out for the house called It's A Good Life in Brindleton Bay. Sims living there feel the temperature even with temperature effects off.

There are some good, cheap starter homes with more than two bedrooms on the gallery.
  • Options
    Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    Ever had a pre-made home that you really liked at first glance, but found that you really hated it?

That's how I felt about this little home in Brindleton Bay.
    It looks really nice on the outside and the location is really nice too.
    It's on the beach, with the ocean sounds and that nice boardwalk path area where people walk their sick and filthy pets.
    10-31-19_7-10-08nbspAM.png

They are also living next door to some well-to-do neighbors.
    How convenient to have a nice pool nearby. This lot will never have a pool.
    11-09-19_9-57-02nbspPM.png

But after playing for a bit, I realized how horrible the layout of this lot was.
    The dinning room is way up in the upper left corner, and the kitchen is in the lower right.
    The entrance isn't exactly welcoming. It just spills into the dinning room. The staircase placement is just awkward with a weird space behind it.
    10-31-19_7-09-58nbspAM.png

Because the kitchen is way over here, sims just stand here and eat whatever they grab out of the fridge.
    And now that I think about it, that space sims travel through to get to the kitchen is bigger than the kitchen itself. What a waste of space.
    11-02-19_12-10-17nbspAM.png

This is a starter home, so eventually you will need space for the first child.
    Only the second floor is so badly planned. That second space is open to the bedroom, and if you wall them both off, so the kid doesn't have to travel through the master bedroom the space gets really small.
    11-09-19_9-27-40nbspPM.png

As soon as my sims earned 3,000 simoleons, I got to work renovating this place.
    3,000 initially and 1,000 daily as they hustled to bring more money in. The exterior got a minor face lift, not counting the upper level rework.
    11-09-19_9-23-21nbspPM.png

The place now has a proper entrance that doesn't just spill into the living spaces. The layout is simple and makes more sense to me.
    My sims are constantly broke, so I still need them to make more money to finish decorating the place and making it really homey.
    11-09-19_9-25-20nbspPM.png

The master bedroom didn't need to sacrifice space. I put in a new staircase.
    Thank you bendy stairs. Oh, and I have room for a bathroom upstairs.
    11-09-19_9-25-31nbspPM.png

I love playing this home so much now.
    I was only supposed to play it until there daughter was seven days away from becoming a teen.
    I was then supposed to move on to the next household in my rotation. They are acquiring more stuff.
    11-05-19_8-18-02nbspAM.png

And I had to add a basement for their media equipment.
    I will add a laundry room down here too.
    11-09-19_10-25-02nbspPM.png

I hate them, until I fix them .
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
  • Options
    keene61keene61 Posts: 259 Member
    I love that house because it has so much potential and flexibility on the inside. I've reworked it so many ways. I love your renovation!
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    Good job on renovating the house :)

I love this house, but I don't play it very often. I did some adjustings to it though, especially the staircase and upstairs rooms for more privacy. They eat in the kitchen though, so the dining section is hardly ever used. But in my game only a single mother and her child daughter lives here, so I guess the floor plan isn't that important.

I normally adjust floor plans to EA premade homes. I like to keep the original idea, but especially bedrooms are often too big for my taste, and I prefer several smaller rooms over 1 huge. And I often adjust the number of bathrooms, too, depending on how big the household is and how they operate, of course. I like that EA gives us "half done houses" because then we can all add our stuff as we like. It would be more boring if all houses were perfect and complete from the start :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    frogkiss1frogkiss1 Posts: 248 Member
    You should see what I do. I take premade homes and they grow and change as my Sims get more money and move up in the world. Time to toot my own horn but check out the ones I have uploaded you would never know what they were lol.
  • Options
    DenimChloeDenimChloe Posts: 58 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think that house looks great! I happen to like pre-made homes; I like renovating them. I don't have Cats and Dogs, but with the packs I do have, there are still plenty of houses (and apartments) for me to renovate. I should start doing that again, because it's fun. I have never uploaded anything to the gallery though, because it never looks anywhere near as good as any of the ones I see on there already.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Great job on renovating that house @CK213! I always thought that house looked nice from the outside, but I usually just bulldoze it and build my own house there. I might consider trying my own renovation now. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

I've only tried to renovate five premade houses. Four were in Oasis Springs, Agave Abode for a set of twins moving out when they aged up to YA in my 100 Babies challenge, Vista Quarry for the founder of my first try at the 100 Baby Challenge, Cacti Casa where the BFFs lived and lastly, Sultry Springside where Don Lothario and the Calientes lived.

The fifth renovation is a copy of Chateau Frise in Brindleton Bay I did for a Rags to Riches Sim that had won the Lottery. I bulldozed the Hounds Head house and put it there for her. That house isn't finished yet, it's so big! It's taking forever, but I love what I've done to it so far. I don't have screenshots of any of them, but if anyone is interested I could take some if you like. *shrugs*

Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    I played in that house too, but I'm terrible at building so I kept its original structure, instead moving the front door to the other wall. That way you wouldn't enter into the dining room.

But wow I forgot how weird the layout initially is.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-