Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discover University: SimGuru/Maxis-Sourced Info

Comments

• Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    @AlbaWaterhouse Great! Now college rock or geek rock radio station didn't show up! I wish it'll make it to an update patch which will make Discover University improved!
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    According to this kids can NOT play ping pong...so which is it. Can they or not?
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Thanks to everyone, especially @AlbaWaterhouse for the Game Changer SimGuru Q&A summary! Off to get everything onto p. 1 :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    honeypooh1267honeypooh1267 Posts: 1,344 Member
    someone joined the secret society! here is the video!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-iTYk4KJI
  • Options
    And... done! Caught up to here :D
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    That was a really nice idea to make a Q&A for the game changer that didnt go on simscamp.
    Thanks for sharing your post @AlbaWaterhouse cool questions and really insightful

alsoo... other then in the Q&A Videos, i could easily skip some of the questions that i didnt reallly care or already knew.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited November 2019
    @luthienrising thanks for integrating the Gurus' Q&A into the first page. It looks so neat and tidy :)
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

A single semester (we call them “terms” for this pack) lasts 5 weekdays, which means that it can last from 5-7 in-game days depending on what day the term starts on.

So if a semester/term lasts 5 week days, how many times will a sim have to attend a class before they pass that class?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »

A single semester (we call them “terms” for this pack) lasts 5 weekdays, which means that it can last from 5-7 in-game days depending on what day the term starts on.

So if a semester/term lasts 5 week days, how many times will a sim have to attend a class before they pass that class?
    From what I’ve seen, some classes are 2 days a week, some are 3. It’s possible to study independently and do some other things to still pass the course without attending class.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member

According to one of the game changers (James Turner), terms start on Tuesdays and end on the following Monday with the final class, the Monday class, encompassing the final exam or the deadline by which a term paper or presentation must be completed for evaluation (and you actually have to turn it in or present it to get any credit). I think the developers arranged the term days like that because it allows sims the final weekend to write essays or participate in cram sessions for their finals. It looked like a good idea to go to every single class (from Tuesday to Friday) plus do the homework in advance because the one time James' student was late for class even that lateness was enough to get a negative comment (something to the effect of the student doing 'the bare minimum by showing up'). Students can also attend office hours with their profs to find out how they are doing or get extra tutoring. From what I've seen, it also seems like doing the full load of courses would actually be challenging, and prevent sims from doing any extracurricular activities or socializing. It looks like fun to me.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member

According to one of the game changers (James Turner), terms start on Tuesdays and end on the following Monday with the final class, the Monday class, encompassing the final exam or the deadline by which a term paper or presentation must be completed for evaluation (and you actually have to turn it in or present it to get any credit). I think the developers arranged the term days like that because it allows sims the final weekend to write essays or participate in cram sessions for their finals. It looked like a good idea to go to every single class (from Tuesday to Friday) plus do the homework in advance because the one time James' student was late for class even that lateness was enough to get a negative comment (something to the effect of the student doing 'the bare minimum by showing up'). Students can also attend office hours with their profs to find out how they are doing or get extra tutoring. From what I've seen, it also seems like doing the full load of courses would actually be challenging, and prevent sims from doing any extracurricular activities or socializing. It looks like fun to me.
    I’m pretty certain that’s just the days James’ schedule happened to fall on.
    During the live stream the gurus said you could start a term on any day. They did suggest you start mid-week so that you have the weekend to work on presentations and/or term papers.
  • Options
    silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    Wow. Thanks @AlbaWaterhouse - that was a lot of typing you did! Also, thank you @luthienrising for maintaining and creating this thread.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Thank you @babajayne and @simfriend1968
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    I appreciate very much @AlbaWaterhouse for the detailed info especially the reply on rotational play, which I could not find from anyone else.
  • Options
    lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Upon looking at real life dorms I found that a lot of dorms had commons in the same building with full kitchens. Are we able to have full kitchens in dorms?
    While fridges, mini-fridges, microwaves, and other visual kitchen items may be used in university housing, stoves, grills, and other fire hazards are disallowed, meaning that no lot zoned as university housing can have a true full kitchen.
    no full kitchen - not even with cheats?
    NOT EVEN WITH CHEATS. The university board didn’t approve fire code cheats. In seriousness, though, you can live at home with a full kitchen and go to university and advertise for roommates, or you can place down a cafeteria station when building your dorm. So there should still be ways to tell the story of living in pseudo-university-housing with a kitchen, but just not the official lot type.

I wonder if dryers are allowed on dorms, because they can also catch on fire. Or if they made them never catch on fire when they're placed in an university housing.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    lexus20 wrote: »
    Upon looking at real life dorms I found that a lot of dorms had commons in the same building with full kitchens. Are we able to have full kitchens in dorms?
    While fridges, mini-fridges, microwaves, and other visual kitchen items may be used in university housing, stoves, grills, and other fire hazards are disallowed, meaning that no lot zoned as university housing can have a true full kitchen.
    no full kitchen - not even with cheats?
    NOT EVEN WITH CHEATS. The university board didn’t approve fire code cheats. In seriousness, though, you can live at home with a full kitchen and go to university and advertise for roommates, or you can place down a cafeteria station when building your dorm. So there should still be ways to tell the story of living in pseudo-university-housing with a kitchen, but just not the official lot type.

I wonder if dryers are allowed on dorms, because they can also catch on fire. Or if they made them never catch on fire when they're placed in an university housing.

I think during the livestream they mentioned you can
  • Options
    kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    And what about fireplaces? Those don't count as stoves/outdoor cooking either.
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • Options
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member

The patch is coming today? Or they're simply talking about what's going to be in it today?
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

The patch is coming today? Or they're simply talking about what's going to be in it today?

I'm guessing both, expecting the formal announcement of the patch to go up more or less right after the livestream ends, and the patch itself going live relatively soon after that.

I can't see the patch being delayed past tomorrow, at any rate.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

I'm guessing both, expecting the formal announcement of the patch to go up more or less right after the livestream ends, and the patch itself going live relatively soon after that.

The patch is out now :)

• Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    edited November 2019
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

The patch is out now :)

WhErE aRe ThE nOTeS??

Edit: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/968730/november-12th-2019-patch-notes#latest
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited November 2019

I live for the challenge! Especially seeing that sims can still work part-time/full jobs and have to juggle school work and work.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Patch notes! https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/968730/november-12th-2019-patch-notes
    @12JEREMIA and other music fans can check out the full Hip Hop station list info there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top