Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discover University- 21 days then What?

Tenchi2aTenchi2a Posts: 105 Member
I am having a real hard time figuring out why I would spend full expansion price for what this pack has to offer.
Other expansions (Get together,Get to work, Cats & Dogs,Seasons,etc.) while not always great offered main functions related to the core concept that became part of a sims daily life like Clubs, Weather, Pets, Jobs, etc.
Where Discover University offers 9 sim days ( A few real world hours) of "game play", and I use that word lightly (Rabbithole in 2019 really)(No bikes for kids), then nothing. Yes we get robots, but that is neither University or Life related. (small number of people care)
College/University is a major part/chapter of the life of a student that attends, taking up 4-6 years of their young adulthood. To have it skimmed over in 21 days is not worth the full expansion price and an insult to college graduates everywhere.
The lack of work outside the art department, "nice work as always crew", shown by EA on this expansion pack shows how little they care about the simmers anymore and are just spitting out as many substandard packs as they can get away with.
After this it will take way to much for me to see any packs as anything short of a quick cash grab from now on.
Post edited by Tenchi2a on

Comments

• Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited November 2019
    You can always just play at a slower pace? You don't have to take the full amount of courses in one term; you can do 1,2,3 and 4 per term. I personally don't like term lengths fixed at 5 business days no matter what though. There are also extracurriculars that you can participate in-between classes to provide a fuller uni experience for you as well. Sure it may not be what you want, but that's what we got.

I remembered back when Strangerville first released, people had speedran through the mystery and completed it in just about 2 rl hours. Why should you have to speedrun through uni?
    Post edited by paradiseplanet on
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I often play at a slower pace to enjoy everything the pack has to offer. Maybe that's why I'm one of the few that didn't personally feel like Island Living was a glorified game pack. I remember doing the same thing when Sims 3 University came out. I didn't do the top amount of credits in one go because I wanted to take my time and enjoy the pack. Then I could incorporate the features into my other gameplay ideas. That's always helped me to see the full potential of a pack and what it can do for my ordinary gameplay. I'm intending to do about 2 courses per term, to give myself a chance to play about with the other features. Then I'll be tweaking community lots (or building my own) to fit the world, then creating clubs using Get Together's system to develop more organisations for my students. For me, Uni is one of those packs I'll always use because I love the idea of it. Maybe that's just me but I feel like there's a lot of gameplay to be had if you just slow it down. a058.gif
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    You can always just play at a slower pace? You don't have to take the full amount of courses in one term; you can do 1,2, and 4 per term. I personally don't like term lengths fixed at 5 business days no matter what though. There are also extracurriculars that you can participate in-between classes to provide a fuller uni experience for you as well. Sure it may not be what you want, but that's what we got.

I remembered back when Strangerville first released, people had speedran through the mystery and completed it in just about 2 rl hours. Why should you have to speedrun through uni?

Speed Runners are a pain. They have to be the first to experience/complete any new content then have the nerve to moan that it's now boring.

I play this game for relaxation, on longlife span, and take things slow, enjoying everything along the way. I also do not overuse content (ie. a pet in every home, every YA will not be going to university) as that kills it.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Even with the busiest semesters and 4 classes in each, you need at least 3 to have a full 12 credits for a Sim's degree. At 5 day semesters, plus weekends, that's 21 Sim days (well, depending on when you start your Sim's journey through university.
    Then there are three new careers, non-class activities, and skills to build.

You might not have weeks of repetitive classes but Sims still have academic things to do: study sessions, homework, presentations, office hours.
    And the entirety of MIT would probably disagree with "robots aren't a part of University or real life".

Ultimately it's up to you how much you're willing to spend on any pack. No one's saying you can't wait for a sale. If you don't feel like it's worth full price, don't pay it.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Well, you will still be able to do it for every generation.
    But I never cared for the University concept, still don't, and I don't plan on buying it. My young adults are fine, thank you... My teens are bored.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Yeah I don’t know where you’re getting 9 days from, but the minimum amount of days at Uni is 15 (since weekends aren’t counted) and the max is 60 days....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    edited November 2019
    The full length of uni is nowhere near 9 days. You need 12 credits to graduate and can take up to 4 classes per term. That means if you want to hurry and take 4 classes, you'll graduate in 21 days. On the other hand, if you want to experience it at a slower pace, you can take 1 class or 1 class and 1 elective, then you'll graduate in 84 days.

Considering we're getting dorms, roommates, bikes, servos, utilibots, 3 new careers that are not completely rabbit hole, a new world, great CAS items, a secret society, 4 penthouse lots (which I thought we wouldn't see again after City Living), I am pretty happy with this EP. You don't have to be, though.
  • Options
    calaprfy wrote: »
    You can always just play at a slower pace? You don't have to take the full amount of courses in one term; you can do 1,2, and 4 per term. I personally don't like term lengths fixed at 5 business days no matter what though. There are also extracurriculars that you can participate in-between classes to provide a fuller uni experience for you as well. Sure it may not be what you want, but that's what we got.

Speed Runners are a pain. They have to be the first to experience/complete any new content then have the nerve to moan that it's now boring.

I play this game for relaxation, on longlife span, and take things slow, enjoying everything along the way. I also do not overuse content (ie. a pet in every home, every YA will not be going to university) as that kills it.

I am not looking to speed run anything.
    The point was that if you don't artificially slow down your play (1-2 classes per semester) you quickly run through the content.
    And as the zone only has one empty and one other residence there is not much use for the zone outside the Universities.
  • Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well, you will still be able to do it for every generation.
    But I never cared for the University concept, still don't, and I don't plan on buying it. My young adults are fine, thank you... My teens are bored.

Depends on your play style.
    I tend to stay with one or two sims through their life and play on long lifespan.
    So, this leads to Discover University only being useful for a very small part of my sims life.
    If they allowed for a Short, Normal, and Long version of the semester I would be fine with it, but since it doesn't I find it wanting.
  • Options
    Tenchi2a wrote: »
    calaprfy wrote: »

I am not looking to speed run anything.
    The point was that if you don't artificially slow down your play (1-2 classes per semester) you quickly run through the content.
    And as the zone only has one empty and one other residence there is not much use for the zone outside the Universities.

13 different degrees on two different levels that you need to prepare for, each requiring 21 Sim days of time, plus several extracurriculars, three careers, skill/elective classes. I still don't see how you're going to quickly run out of content unless you do speed-grind through them all. Especially not, as your thread title claims, in 9 Sim days.

And you can edit all the lots to what you want them to be, making the world usable for whatever you need.
  • Options
    Even with the busiest semesters and 4 classes in each, you need at least 3 to have a full 12 credits for a Sim's degree. At 5 day semesters, plus weekends, that's 21 Sim days (well, depending on when you start your Sim's journey through university.
    Then there are three new careers, non-class activities, and skills to build.

You might not have weeks of repetitive classes but Sims still have academic things to do: study sessions, homework, presentations, office hours.
    And the entirety of MIT would probably disagree with "robots aren't a part of University or real life".

Ultimately it's up to you how much you're willing to spend on any pack. No one's saying you can't wait for a sale. If you don't feel like it's worth full price, don't pay it.

Was given the mistaken impression that the semesters where 3 days long, still 21 days is still to short for 4-6 years of a normal students life.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    edited November 2019
    Where are you getting 9 sim days from?

From what I understand you need 12 courses to graduate, you can only take 4 classes per term, and terms are 5 days long.

So it would be 15 days at the least, and I'm assuming weekends dont count.

And everything in the sims life is sped up dramatically. Do you really think people get promotions every 3 days and learn skills in a few hours and build romantic relationships in one night? Lmao no.

And also I dont know what you expected? University is a phase of life that comes and go.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    You know what I going to stop responding and just repost this.

"I am getting really fed-up with the EA apologist.
    EA has figured out that most simmers will buy anything they put out no matter how lack luster or underdeveloped as long as it looks good visually.
    So we have been getting multiple packs/expansions that have less then half what their equivalent Sims 3 packs/expansions for the same price.
    And most (some have started to question EA's commitment now) of the big names in the sim community continue to defend EA.
    The only way EA is going to learn that the developers need more time and resources is if we start showing them with our wallets.
    But no, there are players on the sims 4 forum happy to let everyone know that they already preordered it without even knowing what was in it.
    This is what EA expects so they just keep rushing out underdeveloped packs/expansions.
    And for all those players who will say voting with your wallet doesn't work, remember "My First Pet".
    It bombed and EA has not tried to pull the " Leave things out and make a stuff pack out of it" again.
    Players have to stop the " Low expectations, so I'm pleasantly surprised" attitude and call EA out on its underhanded practices.
    I mean when Moders can do a better job while not getting paid for it , what does that say about the paid staff at EA." Me

• Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member

EA has figured out that most simmers will buy anything they put out no matter how lack luster or underdeveloped as long as it looks good visually.
    So we have been getting multiple packs/expansions that have less then half what their equivalent Sims 3 packs/expansions for the same price.
    And most (some have started to question EA's commitment now) of the big names in the sim community continue to defend EA.
    The only way EA is going to learn that the developers need more time and resources is if we start showing them with our wallets.
    But no, there are players on the sims 4 forum happy to let everyone know that they already preordered it without even knowing what was in it.
    This is what EA expects so they just keep rushing out underdeveloped packs/expansions.
    And for all those players who will say voting with your wallet doesn't work, remember "My First Pet".
    It bombed and EA has not tried to pull the " Leave things out and make a stuff pack out of it" again.
    Players have to stop the " Low expectations, so I'm pleasantly surprised" attitude and call EA out on its underhanded practices.
    I mean when Moders can do a better job while not getting paid for it , what does that say about the paid staff at EA." Me

You have every right not to be satisfied with a pack, to complain here and not to buy it. The point is you're doing it based on something that is not true. There's no way you can graduate in 9 days.
  • Options
    Funny thing is, no one here was in any way "an EA apologist". The thread was just based on a false statement as a reason to declare the pack a cash grab.

If you don't like the pack, that's your prerogative. If you don't think as a whole, it's not worth its price, that's your right. But the reason you stated was wrong. That's all that the replies here were about.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,608 Member
    Was given the mistaken impression that the semesters where 3 days long, still 21 days is still to short for 4-6 years of a normal students life.
    Well, on Normal setting, a young adult sim life is 24 days. So, using up 21 days (if that was what you chose to do) is a hefty part of a young adult's life. I'd say they chose the time length for uni pretty well.

And there are plenty of little extras that can be used in normal outside-of-uni game play; new careers, ping pong, soccer, bed allocation, computer allocation, roomies, robotics, bicycles and all the extra cas and build/buy stuff that comes with it.
  • Options
    Funny thing is, no one here was in any way "an EA apologist". The thread was just based on a false statement as a reason to declare the pack a cash grab.

If you don't like the pack, that's your prerogative. If you don't think as a whole, it's not worth its price, that's your right. But the reason you stated was wrong. That's all that the replies here were about.

I’m still wondering how in the world they pulled 9 out of a hat 🤔 It’s such a random number...

• Options
    Elegantblkchina1Elegantblkchina1 Posts: 103 Member
    edited November 2019
    Well IRL, college is only a small part of overall life typically. The benefits affect the rest of your life like better pay, higher positions etc. Also how long does one Sim week represent to a real life week?
  • Options
    You’ve changed it to 21 I see, well to answer your question, you get a job or you major in something else.

• Options
    I'm only going to say this one more time and if you continue to ignore it then that on you.
    I was given the mistaken impression that the semesters where 3 days long by the video I watched on it as the poster edited the stream, still 21 days is still to short for 4-6 years of a normal students life and especially if played on long lifespan. If you don't agree then that fine.
    But this hounding one error to ignore the rest is as I said being an EA apologist. Your looking for ways to discredit others opinion to defend EA work.
  • Options

I’m still wondering how in the world they pulled 9 out of a hat 🤔 It’s such a random number...

Maybe someone mentioned that if you enroll your Sim on a Wednesday, you'll have 3 days of the first semester, then the weekend, then the last two days? It's definitely not something that was mentioned anywhere in the stream or anything official.
  • Options
    I'm only going to say this one more time and if you continue to ignore it then that on you.
    I was given the mistaken impression that the semesters where 3 days long by the video I watched on it as the poster edited the stream, still 21 days is still to short for 4-6 years of a normal students life and especially if played on long lifespan. If you don't agree then that fine.
    But this hounding one error to ignore the rest is as I said being an EA apologist. Your looking for ways to discredit others opinion to defend EA work.

Lol. Also some people go to college for only 2 years so....🤷‍♀️

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,298 Member
    21 days then your sims return to the real world and begin their lives as adults. They get jobs, get married, have children, send their children to college, become empty nesters, become grandparents. And then they die.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

Well, you did ask what happens after that. So people shared how they're intending to play. I mean, some of us do like the game as it is. I don't see that as being EA apologist. That's just people enjoying what EA have provided.

My personal opinion has often been that the Sims 3 packs were bloated. There was often content in them that had nothing whatsoever to do with the pack in question (rocking horse in Supernatural, anyone?) but it compelled people to buy them, based on some objects they'd use in their every day gameplay. The Sims 4 packs tend to be more structured and focused on one element and build the pack around that one idea - there's nothing irrelevant in them. I realise that does make the packs appear to have less than their SIms 3 counterparts but at least the content in there is relevant to the theme. So to me, it doesn't feel like the packs have less in them - the content is just properly themed this time around. I'd personally prefer spending £35 on a pack that, in its entirety, I'll use again and again than spend the same amount on a pack where only one or two of the items suit. For me, that's worth my money.

That's not being an EA apologist - just expressing my viewpoint. So these aren't low expectations, just different from the majority of the community a030.gif
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options

Maybe someone mentioned that if you enroll your Sim on a Wednesday, you'll have 3 days of the first semester, then the weekend, then the last two days? It's definitely not something that was mentioned anywhere in the stream or anything official.

The EA apologist comment was not in anyway directed at you.
    You comments have been fair and show a diffrent side of the argument and not just been its 21 not 9 day all your point are now invalided.
    The only time the video I watch showed the semester length was when the the class screen was brought up showing 3 days till end of semester and since it was the only time in the video that semester length was even hinted at that's were I got it from.