Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My big worry with the lack of Simgurus leaking information.

scoedscoed Posts: 91 Member
I hate to be a downer but I am very worried about the lack of info shown so far about Discover University. The last expansion pack Island Living was incredibly shallow. With all major game play featured featured around one world. It lacked game changing depth and added no challenge to the game. The last game pack,Realm of Magic, while feature rich again lacked challenge and its ease stripped challenge from the rest of the game actively removing depth from the game should you exploit it. This is a bad trend. New features SHOULD impact the rest of the game but should also add a bit of a challenge to do so like Vampires did, or should shake things up like Seasons did without removing existing challenges. I am worried about this trend.

Enter Discover University. As of this time the Gurus are silent. What has been revealed seems to lack depth as shown at this time. Worse this pack seems self contained affecting gameplay outside of the pack minimally or not at all outside the pack. I am worried this is another Island Living. Anyone else worried about this?

I am going to buy it. They had me at robots, but I am not as excited for this pack. For the first time since Makin Magic hooked me in The Sims 1 part of me just wants to skip it. I feel they are hiding a weak product again. Kinda like how information was slow coming on mermaids during Island Living spoiler season as there was nothing there to spoil. Am I wrong to fear this silence is indicating yet another shallow low challenge self contained pack that other than a new world wont impact game play after a play through or two?

Please someone tell me I am crazy to be taking slow spoilers to mean shallow content. Please lie to me if you have to. I want to be excited but I don't see much beyond robots and shower woohoo to care about. I have never not been excited during a new expansion packs spoiler season. It doesn't feel good as the Sims games have been my favorite for years. Please help me get excited.

Comments

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I can’t speak on whether it means shallow content or not (because no one will know until the livestream), but I do think it’s weird there hasn’t been any info released. The info thread has been pretty dead which is unusual....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    They are going all out on the information with the Livestream. The gurus are repeatedly mentioning it on Twitter so I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    If it makes you feel any better maybe they are saving the big surprises!! And university is so anticipated for many people that they want them to be excited and surprised during the live stream 🤭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Isa_MenezesIsa_Menezes Posts: 101 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    They are going all out on the information with the Livestream. The gurus are repeatedly mentioning it on Twitter so I wouldn't worry.

But why only at 8th and nothing before that date? As long as I remember, it was never like that before... All this silent for so long about an expansion that was announced... Reading some things around in this forum, I have been really worried that all this silent is because, yes, a lot of things were really reused from anteriors packs: the debate podium, those things used for recording (from Get to Famous/ sorry; I just forgot the name of it now. O.o ); and, worse: the City Living system of the apartments for the dorms (oh, I really hope I'm suuuuuuuuuper wrong in that one. Mainly because it's really hard for me to believe that they could reuse something that was a reason of looooooooooooot of complaints)... So, yes, I'm reaaaaaaally worried about the new expansion too... And again: I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally hope I am super wrong mainly about the dorms (or else, I'll lose my hopes about us getting hotels someday).
  • Options
    Twoeta_BirdTwoeta_Bird Posts: 124 Member
    I definitely share these concerns... the silence is worrying me. I didn't buy Island Living, so I can't speak to how shallow it is, but I feel like even IL was being hyped up more than Discover University is right now. I really, really want University to be good, though, so I'm trying really hard to stay positive. I'm just hoping the livestream blows me away.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. They will show all the goodies on the live stream.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Have been suspecting another IL since before they admitted the pack's identity. For DU to be decent they will need to reverse the trend of the past several months - lots of pretty, little of real value. Other than hype, the trailer shows nothing new other than the TS3 style bicycles. The pattern is set, so we get what has already been given with a new paint job.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited October 2019
    I also would like to have more information. Perhaps we get some answers on the livestream but the silence now just makes me suspicious. Why are they not answering questions? Would the answers be so disappointing? Or do they want to test a different approach because of the mixed reception of the last EP and GP? Telling us we have to wait without telling why we have to wait gives the impression they are trying to hide something.

Right now at least half the posts about university are questions or speculations. I'd rather have facts. I want to know what ages can go to university, where they can live, can non-students live in or visit the new world, can kids ride bikes,... So many questions. I know we will get the answers in the end but giving fans two weeks with nothing but speculations isn't doing this pack any favors.
    If it makes you feel any better maybe they are saving the big surprises!! And university is so anticipated for many people that they want them to be excited and surprised during the live stream 🤭

I hope you are right. But after island living and realm of magic I have a feeling I am hoping against better judgement. With a highly anticipated pack like this, I think it is kind of risky to let people speculate and get their hopes up for so many features. It all depends on the livestreams. Will it blow us away with fantastic features we don't know yet or will it reveal that our expectations were set to high. Only time will tell.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    They have responded to a few questions over on Twitter. Pretty vaguely though as to not actually say definite yes or no. SimGuruNinja did confirm there are not going to be murphy beds but so far, that's the only definite answer I've seen so far.

I think like others have said though, they felt pushed forward because of the leaks and they don't have much else ready for us right now. I saw another tweet this morning saying that another game play trailer is in the works and coming soon.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Have been suspecting another IL since before they admitted the pack's identity. For DU to be decent they will need to reverse the trend of the past several months - lots of pretty, little of real value. Other than hype, the trailer shows nothing new other than the TS3 style bicycles. The pattern is set, so we get what has already been given with a new paint job.

I think their saving some surprises for the Livestream.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Yes, when I saw this, it was my first thought.

We used to have a trailer per week for 3 or 4 weeks plus a lot of questions answered on Twitter and here in the forums by the gurus with past TS4 Expansion Packs. Now we are at the point where we get a superficial reveal trailer and are almost left in the dark for more than 2 weeks. With burning questions such as "will kids be able to ride bikes" being unanswered and just feeding our pessimistic feelings towards the EP.
    Normally I would say if they don't answer such a question is because the answer is no (which I belive will be the case and I hope I'm wrong) but they are not answering very many questions, not only the ones that are concerning the community.
    No matter how you look at it, I believe this way of delivering information is wrong and makes us think that the pack will be shallow because they don't have anything to talk about in between the reveal trailer and the livestream (17 days! if I counted them correctly).

They could actually show the Gameplay Trailer with more new features that haven't been shown but without giving away too much to spoil the Livestream. I'm hoping Today or Tomorrow we'll get the Gameplay Trailer.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    I forgot that Island Living is an EP and not GP. XD

Maybe they are keeping quiet to hype us? (In a reverse psychology type of way. LOL)
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    I think they have something else there working on that will be added in a patch and they don’t want to ruin the surprise until the day. Gurus have a tendency to by mistake leak info. So I think there just keeping it hush hush so they can at least surprise us with something.
  • Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    It might even be a response to all the backlash after IL and ROM; people are so cautious and disappointed, they may not be wanting to feed into that (but are, adversely, still doing so).

I’ve waiting for this pack for ages and I’m very, very curious to see what’s in it. I have no issues with the trailer and I don’t find it superficial in the sense that it just tells a story. But I would have like a blog post or two.
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    I think they have something else there working on that will be added in a patch and they don’t want to ruin the surprise until the day. Gurus have a tendency to by mistake leak info. So I think there just keeping it hush hush so they can at least surprise us with something.

This possibility has also crossed my mind. I wonder what the patch will bring. I have a feeling it might be something big, but that's just a feeling and nothing more.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Irdiwen wrote: »
    It might even be a response to all the backlash after IL and ROM; people are so cautious and disappointed, they may not be wanting to feed into that (but are, adversely, still doing so).

I’ve waiting for this pack for ages and I’m very, very curious to see what’s in it. I have no issues with the trailer and I don’t find it superficial in the sense that it just tells a story. But I would have like a blog post or two.

This is a good point. Right now they're in a no-win situation: unless they tell people "yes" to everything they want, there's gonna be backlash, so I can see them wanting to be careful with info. Also, if they answer something specific on twitter, it inevitably gets turned into something else that causes backlash.
    So I get that they want to only offer info when they can show exactly what they mean in the livestream.

Gonna hope for the gameplay trailer soon (Frost - I think - said it's coming) so we get more details.
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    With how fast chat goes by during Live-streams, I wish they would collect all the questions beforehand and before or during gameplay announce the question then answer it by showing the gameplay specific for it if it’s there.

And also might as well let the YouTube Game Changers they have start showing gameplay around the same time to give more info.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @Wrenry one of the Gurus was on here in the thread about Uni questions, so they're definitely keeping track of things people want to know & aren't just waiting for the chat. They also usually have people keeping track of the chat to highlight questions asked there. So hopefully we'll get the majority of questions answered then.

• Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    y'all forgetting 'bout this feature not being part of the expansion pack. so hopefully the patch would be something big. but yeah, i totally agree with point that OP has made here.

ChadSims2 wrote: »
    @SimGuruNinja are you able to tell us what that animation is for now that University is officially announced?

Who said this was from University? :oB)

y'all got bread?
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    My impression is if the answer is positive the gurus do reply - they confirmed there are new deaths, more tattoos (than in the trailer), more majors (than in the description), etc. but if the answer is negative they evade the question. So I'm pretty sure kids can't ride bikes.
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    @Wrenry one of the Gurus was on here in the thread about Uni questions, so they're definitely keeping track of things people want to know & aren't just waiting for the chat. They also usually have people keeping track of the chat to highlight questions asked there. So hopefully we'll get the majority of questions answered then.

Hope so too that the majority of questions get answered.

• Options
    butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    I am very excited for this pack. I think they’re not sharing on Twitter because they really do want people to get excited during the livestream. In that tweet from sim guru Frost, it seemed like he did want to answer questions, but knew that a lot of them would be answered during the livestream. I don’t think this pack will be shallow, or at least I hope not.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    It's hard to plan game play without more concrete info. I've made some assumptions that may be proved wrong Nov 8 but can't help myself because the paradigm with prior packs put me into this mode. Like I am assuming all ages YA and up can go to uni, and I'm assuming rotational and home play for those with people at uni will not be disrupted.