Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom spells (mods) are possible! Hurray

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    edited October 2019
    I want a practice spell interaction that just gives you xp and no new spells 😃 I wonder why our sims can't practice magic without learning a new spell!?
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited October 2019
    I want a practice spell interaction that just gives you xp and no new spells 😃 I wonder why our sims can't practice magic without learning a new spell!?

They can do this. click on the sim, magic, practice magic and then you do have to pick a school (Practical, Untamed, or Mischief) Learning a spell is not guaranteed. (I've almost never picked up a spell this way.)
  • Options
    GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

They can do this. click on the sim, magic, practice magic and then you do have to pick a school (Practical, Untamed, or Mischief) Learning a spell is not guaranteed. (I've almost never picked up a spell this way.)

My sims get a new spell nearly every time 😖
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

My sims get a new spell nearly every time 😖

I had a feeling you get about every second attempt. But it doesn't bother me. I suppose once my sim learned all they can use it to gain xp.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    Just want to share a couple more spells I found that uses the injector.

This modder has made two mischief spells so far allowing a caster to turn someone into a skeleton temporarily and a spell that give the screaming curse from Jungle Adventures.

Skeleton - https://www.patreon.com/posts/custom-spell-30776142
    Screaming - https://www.patreon.com/posts/castable-curse-30798063
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Thanks for sharing, @RememberJoy! I'm having a premonition that, within a few months, my book of shadows will be growing and growing like that of the Halliwell sisters over the years. :)

This is not a new spell, but another magic-related mod that offers a great alternative for sims who don't have the money or space for a cauldron in their house:

Stove & Grill Alchemy by icemunmun
  • Options
    There is another new spell that allows you to directly kill sims. This one seems to work differently because it is tied to an object and a custom trait. Also no mention if it appears in the spell book. I won't be using this one but for those who are interested, you can find it here.
    Just want to share a couple more spells I found that uses the injector.

This modder has made two mischief spells so far allowing a caster to turn someone into a skeleton temporarily and a spell that give the screaming curse from Jungle Adventures.

Skeleton - https://www.patreon.com/posts/custom-spell-30776142
    Screaming - https://www.patreon.com/posts/castable-curse-30798063

Thank you for sharing. I think I might use the skeleton spell.
    Thanks for sharing, @RememberJoy! I'm having a premonition that, within a few months, my book of shadows will be growing and growing like that of the Halliwell sisters over the years. :)

This is not a new spell, but another magic-related mod that offers a great alternative for sims who don't have the money or space for a cauldron in their house:

Stove & Grill Alchemy by icemunmun

Oh, I never even thought of making potions on the stove. I was hoping for a smaller couldron to save space but this might also work.
    I didn't know about this one yet, but I already downloaded another mod by the same creator. He/she also made the opposite mod to allow herbalism potion in cauldrons
  • Options
    r3mr3m Posts: 1,723 Member
    ryttu3k wrote: »
    @r3m , wondering if there'd be a way to make a variation of the vampire cure spell? I play Caleb as one of my main Sims, and he would honestly really love a cure. If someone cast it on him, it'd likely be a relationship boost, not a sharp drop. Would there be a way to make two branches? 'Force a cure' would have the effect you outlined in the mod as is, and something like 'Give a cure' would give a positive boost to the relationship if successful, and maybe a sad moodlet (for both vampire and caster) if it fails?

I did think of adding a "friendly" cure, but I didn't want the spell to be too similar to the existing vampire cure potion (which can already be offered to friends).
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @r3m

Thank you for your great mods for ROM I adore the climate change spell in particular as there is never anyway to see what the weather is going to be when travelling lol :)

quick question I was wondering (and hoping of course-) if there was anything that could be done to give children some sort of practice magical skill as there is nothing for them in game?

I guess the main problem with enabling magic for children are the missing animations. Someone would need to create child versions for all the casting variations (with/out wand, failure, success, casting forward/upward, etc.). I don't work with animations, but I'm pretty sure the project would take quite some time to complete.
  • Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    @r3m that's fair! Thank you for the work you've done!
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @r3m

Thanks for explaining I realise after what you wrote that of course it would be a mammoth task to re-create animations for kids but just assumed they could be mimicked from the adult animations lol which of course is why I am not a modder :)
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I am wondering if the existing chemistry set from base game could be used to create some sort of truly usable potions.
    I think the current ones are pretty useless.

But if only spellcaster children could use them to create something unique. Maybe a get better grades potion which could also have a chance of backfiring. Maybe the health potion could randomly fill one need or backfire to send a need into the red.

Not sure what the details would be, but I would love to have child specific magic that is not connected to the adult progression.
  • Options
    r3mr3m Posts: 1,723 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    Hi @r3m

Thanks for explaining I realise after what you wrote that of course it would be a mammoth task to re-create animations for kids but just assumed they could be mimicked from the adult animations lol which of course is why I am not a modder :)

Actually, I spoke too soon. I just came across a mod that does it. The modder converted all the animations and enabled magic for children. I don't have time to test it right now, but from the screenshots, it looks quite good.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @r3m

Thank you so much for posting that info I will give that a go as well when I get time. I suspect this mod will make a lot of players happy if it works well :)
  • Options
    I just found another spell in the practical magic. You can conjure a cake with Celebratio Never thought of this option but I think I might end up using this one a lot.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I just found another spell in the practical magic. You can conjure a cake with Celebratio Never thought of this option but I think I might end up using this one a lot.

Awesome for off the grid! Thanks for mentioning that one :)
  • Options
    SinhbergSinhberg Posts: 1 New Member
    I miss the spell from the Sims 2 that allowed to stop time. A custom spell like that would be awesome. We could freeze in time a whole lot or annoying Sims for hours. It could kind of work like chilio, but without the ice effect, actually.