Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poll: Do you use mods in your game? Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    All kinds and always! The crazier the better! And, I wouldn't play Sims without them.
    I love mods. MCCC is invaluable (and necessary, in my mind, for fixing relationships, like making Johnny Zest related to the Landgraabs again and giving them a negative relationship, for fixing interactions, everything!). QOL mods, always. My favourites are UI Cheats, More CAS Columns (five columns!!), and basically anything by LittleMsSam. Luumia has a few really good ones to fix lighting, also body hair and height sliders. Love Bakie's stuff, it makes the world look so lively. A truly ridiculous amount of CC, like 25GB of it. Lots of overrides to add more slots to stuff, to stop columns and environment from fading, all sorts of plant ones. A vampire-specific one to change 'plasma' to 'blood' because plasma and blood are different things dangit. And a huge shoutout to @SiliClone, who has some essential RoM ones!
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Mods? Please. I'm a purist!
    I keep my game vanilla. This way, I don't experience any strange abnormalities in my game. I'll probably keep things this way until the end of The Sims 4 so that it's easier to keep things up to date, unless there's something I'm desperately after.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    I use quality-of-life mods. Give me what I want and give it to me fast. Basically, I'm cheating at cheating and I love it!
    I mostly like realism and such for my game. I have a few clothing, hair, and make-up, but I mostly just stick to base game stuff unless it truly looks great.

→ MC Command Center (MCCC) – mainly for the fact that the game is unbearable without it

→ UI Cheats Extension – it is a handy mod that allows for testing and creating the ideal families

→ Slice of Life – thinking about cutting a lot of this out as I started a new Rags to Riches story and the sickness is unbearable. Everyone in the game is constantly sick and my Sim cannot make any money due to being sick for 9 days straight… they get better for two hours then they get sick again

→ Zero – too many mods to list, but mostly things that should be in the game (IE: No Situational Outfits in the HQ, not turning NPCs into spellcasters, only spellcasters can use the portal)

→ SimDa – dating apps are fantastic as a whole

→ A few 18+ mods *cough* a certain one adds sweat to the body, another adds gender preferences, another adds attractiveness/turn-ons and turn-offs, and others are just amusing. Recently cut out one due to the janky animations that look like they were made by a toddler

→ A mod that stops men wearing female clothing/make-up, etc. That is not for me and, well, I do not want it in my game. It was rare, but it happened enough that I was tired of men coming to my house in dresses

That is about it for core mods. Always looking to expand my game, though. As an active builder, I avoid objects as I tend to forget and use them in houses that I upload to the gallery.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited October 2019
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    I keep my game vanilla. This way, I don't experience any strange abnormalities in my game. I'll probably keep things this way until the end of The Sims 4 so that it's easier to keep things up to date, unless there's something I'm desperately after.

I experience strange abnormalities with or without mods, such as EA’s very own towel accessories bug. Since the vanilla game is already broken in many respects, mods aren’t gonna make it much worse unless you’re super careless about it. Some mods even fix the vanilla game’s issues.
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Sometimes, of and on, but mostly I play #NOCC.
    I used to have a lot of maxis match custom content, but I found myself never using it in case I wanted to upload a Sim or house to the gallery.

There's a couple mods that I have at the moment, like Pose Player and a grey CAS background but that's it. Once my current story is finished I'll probably remove Pose Player as it's already causing some glitches.

So other than a different CAS background for ease of screenshots and editing, there's nothing else I use regularly.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited October 2019
    All kinds and always! The crazier the better! And, I wouldn't play Sims without them.
    I've used mods since Sims 2. I don't see that changing now or in the future. I use many of the above mentioned mods plus CC for CAS and some for BB.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    None of these poll options are my answer (since I see you've categorized CC as mods).

I played Sims 4 vanilla for a very long time until I succumbed to CC. Body hair was the decisive factor - I couldn't stand not having it in my game anymore since it meant I couldn't create male sims I found attractive.
    After that I started downloading lots of nails, piercings and hairs. That's mostly where my CC is and I keep it Maxis Match and very simple.
    I downloaded some custom sliders too, and those help a lot in creating unique sims. I really love extra lip sliders.

As for mods, I held out a long time but in the end I decided to download WW because I couldn't stand the ridiculously tame romantic interactions in game. If the romance interactions were at least like in Sims 2 it wouldn't have been an issue, but they have literally toned them down for a toddler audience in Sims 4 so I had enough of that.
  • Options
    HollyHanoHollyHano Posts: 88 Member
    Yes, but only for aesthetics. Variety is the spice of life and I can't get enough options for hair, clothes, makeup, and furniture!
    I can't live without CC! I find Maxis outfits/hair/makeup, etc. so very ugly for the most part (in particular the hair *shudders*), but I can absolutely understand preferring to keep everything the same style by using Maxis match or no CC at all.

It's interesting to see how different everyone is!
    Please call me Spell :)
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    I've never used mods or cc in any of my games, but I've been tempted I'll admit.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    Wouldn't use the world purist, lol. I've tried MCCC once could give it another go at some point. Generally though I prefer playing vanilla, it's just simpler. Now that I think maybe I'm even even purist in a way that I like know where the game is at without mods and how things play out.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Oh I can't play without my mods. I like to think I'm not mod heavy relatively speaking, I only have like 5 or 6 mods that are my essentials. I know I have quite a bit of cc, though it's mostly poses and animations.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    First off ... mods and cc are not the same thing. cc is cas or buy/build related. (cloths, make up, furniture etc) Mods change or add to the game. (mcc, spice of life etc) I use mods like mcc and mods that change how fast my sims paint and write etc. but not cc. Not sure if everyone knows the difference.
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I love mods and CC. I don't use a whole lot of mods because I hate trying to find them all when they break. I like having mods that add depth to relationships, that's an area where the game is lacking
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    This is a leading response but it's the closest to my actual answer. I'm not opposed to mods but I think I will only get really into them once TS4 has run it's course. TS4 is already a bugged mess and has to he patched practically every month. I don't want to rely heavily on a mod for my gameplay and have a patch nuke it. I also have just accepted the limitations of TS4 for now.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I use quality-of-life mods. Give me what I want and give it to me fast. Basically, I'm cheating at cheating and I love it!
    I don't have every mod I would like to have. The updates break them too much.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    @CandiGir1 Besides the mods already mentioned, I strongly recommend Coolspear's mods. Be warned though, they're very addictive as they improve the game SO much I can no longer play the game without them. You have to register on the site to download, but they're all free and safe, and very high quality.
    I also get mods from modthesims.info

If you're curious about CC you can start here: https://maxismatchccworld.tumblr.com

So happy to see a fellow fan of Coolspear's mods. His suite of mods for restaurants is awesome! And all the autonomy mods he has, well, I can't stand the constant annoyances from the uncontrolled drinking of water, toddler harrassment, unwanted hugging during meal time or while watching tv, etc. so I use many of those. Over half of my mods come from him. Using his mods means I have a lot more control over what happens in my game. And as you stated, the game is almost unplayable without using mods. I use some of Bienchen's mods, a few from Littlemssam but generally rely on mods from just those three modders. MCCC and the UICheats Extension mods are also wonderful tools to have working for you. Not to mention all of those modders create game fixing mods so we aren't relying on EA to fix the glitches, if they ever decide to at all. I have tried a couple of gameplay mods, but they are script mods so I have decided to wait a while longer before becoming too addicted to any of them until the constant updating to the base game calms down. The ones I have used were okay, but conflicted with some of my bug fixing mods, and that is the main reason I am using mods to begin with.

CC is less of a hassle because we can always use Sims4Studio to update older bits of CC, or to delete CC one is tired of using. Yet another great tool in our Sims4 toolbox. But I am using less CC these days. In the past I used far too much, but the team in charge of creating assets has been making some very nice clothing and furniture this year, so most of my CC is make up, hair, eyes, and bits of clothing, along with recolors of my favorite pieces of furniture. The one room the team needs to add to is kitchens, though. I do have many CC kitchens and dining rooms that have matching counters, overhead cabinets and island counters. Which the team has not been paying close attention to lately.

I seldom use cheats to make my Sims rich. Quite the opposite. I use a mod so my Sims can donate more to charities, or give other Sims expensive gifts rather than allow my Sims to be rich. And another mod that does away with the bonuses when a Sim is promoted in their careers. As long as my Sims have a comfortable home and enough money to pay their bills I'm happy. It's just too easy for Sims to become millionaires In Sims4, so I prefer to keep things more simple and a bit more realistic.

Using mods might seem scary or a hassle when it comes time to update after patches and such. But what these add to how I want to play makes up for it in the long run. And we do have the option to turn off auto updates if we prefer to wait until certain mods need to be updated. I have been playing off line since RoM was released so it isn't that hard to do. After seeing what was in yesterday's patch, I won't be updating again until I see an update that is primarily about fixing the game.

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I use between 5 and 10, all things that I have researched and made SURE that they are safe, etc. So no, you are not paranoid.

My favorite creators are LittleMsSam, KawaiiStacie, and Sacrificial (I can't link Sacrificial because he makes a few 18+ mods. The only one I use all the time is Life's Drama, but as soon as Life's Tragedies is released free I'll update on that). On top of mods by those creators, I also use MC Command Center and UI Cheats Extension*.

*The link will bring you to a patreon page, but the download is free (meaning you don't have to become a patreon).
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    I like playing the game in it's vanilla state. Not that I have anything against mods. I've just always played that way since the begining.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Sometimes I feel like trying mods or a particular mod so I make a save and label it so I know what mod I'm using in it. Thing is when I play that way it's mostly about playing with a mod not the game. Then when I'm tired of that I pull the mod folder out .. delete the traces if any have been created, clear my caches and play vanilla again. Been playing vanilla for a good 2-3 months this time... I actually enjoy the game itself more without mods normally, but it's fun now and then to just try something. I refuse to use mods that would integrate themselves into every aspect of my gameplay and saves even if they sound good to me, because I know I have to do the updates or if my game starts acting funny I could be having a conflict between mods and .. yeah no, not worth it since I'm basically happy with the game. I figure when the game has run it's course I can give that a real try.

In Sims 1 I went crazy with mods near the end of it's run (I didn't know anything about them how to install ect ... and it was harder to do). In Sims 2 I used skin mods, clothing and needs mods, and I guess cheaty mods like giving them a college degree or more want locks. I just don't feel like I need those types of mods now the game is more like I want it in all aspects that I normally would use to use mods for.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    PeppermixPeppermix Posts: 231 Member
    edited October 2019
    Sometimes. I’ve got a few hairstyles and poses. No furniture, no gameplay mods. I like my game simple, and the few hairstyles I’ve got are maxis match.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I'm up to using about five mods, now. I started off with MCCC, which is designed after NRaas' Master Controller mod, which was great! Then I discovered the Road to Fame mod (one I'd used to try to simulate stardom but uninstalled once GF came out) only to learn that this mod was upgraded to augment GF. Recently, I added three "quality of life" type mods. They are Improved Relationships, Meaningful Stories and Private Practice, which I haven't really used to its fullest. Then the patch hit. MCCC is good to go and it was advised for the players to test out Sacrificial's mods one at a time. So far RTF seems okay. Zero suggested Improved Relationships was good to go. Yesterday, I installed Meaningful Stories to see if it was okay. Ran into a glitch that had me wondering if it was already there, or mod-created. I will play a bit longer with it to be certain. Then I intend to add back Private Practice. One of my Sims will go into the Doctor career. This mod is designed to have a Sim become a Resident in which they must pass tests and once they finish they will have to wait to be hired as a physician. I like this idea. The normal path to becoming a doctor doesn't start you out as a nurse (although some nurses do aspire to becoming doctors or at least nurse-practitioners).
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CandiGir1CandiGir1 Posts: 64 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    @CandiGir1 Besides the mods already mentioned, I strongly recommend Coolspear's mods. Be warned though, they're very addictive as they improve the game SO much I can no longer play the game without them. You have to register on the site to download, but they're all free and safe, and very high quality.
    I also get mods from modthesims.info

If you're curious about CC you can start here: https://maxismatchccworld.tumblr.com

Thank you so much, @Aine for this advice! I appreciate it and I'll be looking into this tonight!
    6qrDi11.png
  • Options
    CandiGir1CandiGir1 Posts: 64 Member
    I only download free mods, and I only like to download from SimsFileShare if the site doesn't give me direct access. On rare occasion, I'll download from MediaFire, but I don't really like to. Definitely never from adfly which is known to be dangerous.

I do use TheSimsResource like a maniac even though it's covered in ads and it's a pain to use, but their huge collection makes it worth it. ModTheSims is awesome for its quick and easy downloading process, but for whatever reason, not a lot of creators are using it for TS4.

I usually have something special I'm doing, like Victorian or Mid Century Modern, so I NEED cc. I also find the game so much more enjoyable with mods that either correct problems are give me more freedom.

I have a folder with all of my Victorian cc and another with all of my Mid Century Modern cc, so I can take them out if I'm not playing those eras.

For modern saves, I use cc to fill in categories that don't have enough items, in my opinion, such as wedding rings.

I also use a height slider to make the sims different heights, but it does effect their interactions, like kissing (if I screenshot from the correct angle, it still looks like they're kissing romantically, but really one person will be kissing the other's nose or forehead, haha).

I use facial cc to give my sims a more realistic look, like mouth corners, eyebags, etc. I also like to download wrinkles and give my sims just a little bit of wrinkles when they're in the second half of the adult phase (like maybe only small forehead wrinkles). That way, they don't just suddenly turn old.

I like to get custom traits since the game's are limited.

Sometimes I'll find cc with a theme that doesn't exist in game, like a tailor's/seamstress's shop, and I'll get that and then create a lot especially because of that cc.

I'm just recently getting into poses and I love love love them! So much more storytelling potential!

MCCC is the best.

CC:

Hair -- Birksches https://birkschessimsblog.wordpress.com/category/hairstyles/

Picture Frames -- Jools-Simming https://jools-simming.tumblr.com/post/143581504820/photo-frames-this-is-a-set-of-7-different-frames

A lot of unique stuff, like weapons, transportation, mechanic garage stuff, tanning beds, lawnmowers, and much more: https://sg5150.tumblr.com/

Animated Decor by Bakie on MTS (animated animals, like snakes, chickens, pidgeons, etc., that you can place as cc)

Decor Horses -- Severinka: http://sims3s.ru/objects4-horses.php

Mods:

Eyelash Remover -- Cien Z Roza: http://cienzroza.blogspot.com/2017/04/soon-little-thing.html

Eyelashes (cc) -- Kijiko (she has a lot of different versions, so you might want to look around; mine replace eyeglasses)

Default Eye Replacement - Ms Blue's Expressive Eyes: https://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims4-eyecolors/title/expressive-eyes-v2-hq-default/id/1366013/

More Club Members -- Havem on MTS: http://modthesims.info/d/620405/more-club-members-amp-gender-requirements-18-dec-updated.html

Shaving --Necrodog: http://sims4studio.com/thread/7788/necrodogmtsands4s-studio?page=4

Door Locks -- LittleMsSam: https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175403052908/unlocklock-doors-for-chosen-sims-this-little

DressCodeLotTrait -- LittleMsSams: https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175405300963/dress-code-custom-lot-traits-this-mod-adds-six

Body Hair -- Luumia: https://luumiasims.com/post/160374208324/body-hair-v5-body-hair-is-back-and-even-more

No Vampires -- Tanja1986 http://modthesims.info/d/589172/neighborhood-protection-no-vampires.html

Leave The Phone Alone -- Anonymous85 http://modthesims.info/d/622551/leave-the-phone-alone-no-autonomous-gaming-or-browsing-the-web-on-their-cellphones.html

No Mosaic Censor -- MoxieMason: http://modthesims.info/d/533172/no-mosaic-censor-mod-for-the-sims-4-toddler-compatibility-update.html

Venue Change by Zerbu (not sure where the latest version is located; lets you take event venues, like the Von Haunt Estate, and make them residential or commercial)

Those are just a few of many!

This is amazing. Thank you so much, @QueenofMyshuno! AWESOME FEEDBACK! Much Appreciated!!
    6qrDi11.png
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited October 2019
    I will once this game is complete.
    It updates often and breaks mods.
    Plus some mods get abandoned by their creators. I will look forward to breathing new life into this game whenever it's finished.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I chose that answer because there was no "Other" option.
    When Sims 2 was announced I felt less apprehensive about experimenting with modded content and went CC crazy.
    I caught a virus from one of those sites that killed my HD.

When Sims 3 was announced I once again stuck my toe in the Mod/CC waters and came across a group (That shall not be named here) that creeped me out me out to no end....their leader insisted on calling me a 12 year old when I tried to join their forum *shrug* (You know who you are)

Sims 3 was the only time I ever experimented with Mods (again toward the end of it's life cycle)
    And the one's I experimented with seemed to work perfectly. I seem to recall a painting or something that you hang on the lot?
    It worked great never a problem.

So it's not that I've ever had a bad experience with modders or CC, iper-se but the peripheral experiences have been a bit iffy.

I have long been aware that when it comes to bugs and breaks there are a lot of people out there who are disingenuous when it comes to Mod and CC disclosure. Take that statement to the bank...there's no denying it.

So for me I have to be prepared to say goodbye to an iteration before I feel like experimenting.
    Otherwise there is no real way of troubleshooting if something goes sideways.

So no. Not a shred of custom content in my game until it has an expiration date.