Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

StrangerVille or Realm of Magic? (No Spoilers Please)

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited September 2019
    Realm of Magic
    I do like Strangerville, but it is probably my least favourite GP so far. I prefer more versatile and open sandbox gameplay as I like to create my own stories. As a supernatural fan, RoM opens a lot more possibilities for me. Both GPs have great CAS/BB items and worlds, but I will likely use RoM a lot more often.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Realm of Magic
    Magic all the way. I only bought Strangerville since it was like $12 during a sale and I was bored. I doubt I'll play its story. The theming isnt for me.

Realm of Magic tho? Day one buy and I havent looked back.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Realm of Magic
    Strangerville or any other GP?
    My answer: Any other GP
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Both. I couldn't choose. I wouldn't want my game to be missing either one.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Realm of Magic
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    But I would suggest if someone is debating on which one of these two to buy at the moment I would suggest StrangerVille. Realms of Magic is having some serious crashing issues when one is trying to do something with a Spellcaster in CAS.

This is why I voted Strangerville. My game crashed again last night editing a sim, because apparently although I saved while zoomed on the face to prevent animations... when you save it zooms out and in that .01 second the animation started playing, crashing my game 😭😩

Once the bugs are fixed, 100% going to enjoy RoM more. But until then the glitches are effecting my enjoyment.

On twitter SimGuruNick said to let the spell caster animations finish playing, and then exit CAS. It works for me, I haven't had it crash using his workaround.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    StrangerVille
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I don't have RoM yet and if I get it, I will do so later. I did actually really like StrangerVille and I actually will keep the settings and pre-mades in my game. I'm more of a realism player though so I actually like that I could come up with a mostly realistic explanation of the events and that I could turn the town into a normal part of my rotation after. I can see an interesting dynamic between the various households and any new sims. There's a "culture clash" in the town that I'll get into.

My StrangerVille hero married a military sim who was with her until the end of the mystery. I thought about having them move out but the setting really is great for the military. I have said that I think that military sims may have to do a certain amount of moving around and to the extent possible, military sims will be expected to live in StrangerVille at first depending on how long they are stationed there.

I wish that the town had a few more lots but that sounds like the case for RoM too. I wasn't planning on getting RoM right away and I'll way until any bugs are under control. It's the sort of thing where I might be willing to have one or two spellcasters because I can be open-minded but it isn't really my play-style. If it had a more involved world, that would draw me more. I'll probably get it ... later.

Realistic explanation????
    Since when does a homicidal evil brainwashing plant heck bent on world conquest have a realistic explanation?!
    Short answer? Climate change. :smiley:
    Long answer? It's not unrealistic that a biohazard developed, possibly caused by ancient meteoric activity. The military investigated and tried to develop a weapon technology in collaboration with a scientific lab that backfired. Random military bases exist in a number of economically deprived small towns so that's completely realistic.

A connected family (the Roswells) decided to get wealthier and to drive off most of their neighbors by making deals with the military and scientists about technological experimentation that they didn't understand. When it all went wrong and started poisoning the town, anyone who knew about it, covered it up and the problem got worse.

You had to have top secret access to have any idea of what was going on. Various employees had ever more restricted access so very few scientists actually knew what they were working on. Anyone who did know probably got sick. Very few military personnel probably had any idea beyond following orders.

The military leadership wanted to grow the plant because they thought it would make a great weapon so they collaborated with the scientists but no one could control the experiment and it blew up. They lost total control and the problem kept spreading. By the time that the "hero" arrives in town, most people are sick or fleeing. No one actually fully knows what is going on but the conspiracy theorists are suspicious.

The hippie YAs move to town to get away to a peaceful beautiful setting with a cheap cost of living and lots of ... plants ... but they don't know what they are getting themselves into. Cue the solving of the mystery.

Other than it being a cowplant that you have to fight, it's pretty realistic. Having vaccines that you need to test and that expire is completely realistic. Local politics went wrong.

Make sense? I will say that seeing Ted Roswell licking a plant intensely was downright creepy and watching sims go from being normal to sick creeped me out too. Fun times with the apocalypse. For me, I'm more interested in the town afterward which appears to be unusual.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Realm of Magic
    @ChampandGirlie That sounds even more unrealistic
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    StrangerVille
    This is why I voted Strangerville. My game crashed again last night editing a sim, because apparently although I saved while zoomed on the face to prevent animations... when you save it zooms out and in that .01 second the animation started playing, crashing my game 😭😩

Once the bugs are fixed, 100% going to enjoy RoM more. But until then the glitches are effecting my enjoyment.

On twitter SimGuruNick said to let the spell caster animations finish playing, and then exit CAS. It works for me, I haven't had it crash using his workaround.

Oh I know, that’s why I saved when zoomed on the face. When you are zoomed on the face the animation doesn’t play. I didn’t realize while saving CAS zoomed out, and like I said, in the .001 second before it saved after I clicked the button the animation played, crashing my game.

It’s also crashed when I was just running around the magical world gathering stuff. Also the lag hasn’t let up yet, gonna have to figure that out eventually.

Plus not being able to sell potions, and the issue with the randomized outfits and playable sims becoming spellcasters- the last two I’ve modded for so thank goodness.

What I’m saying is more than any pack I’ve experienced and been on the launch for, this one is the buggiest by far. Still a great pack, but with a Lower end PC that with my mods and stuff takes awhile to load... yeah my fun is being impacted in the meantime.

So yeah. Like with the OP, Strangerville first, get RoM when things have been patched a bit more.
  • Options
    Zulf_12Zulf_12 Posts: 109 Member
    edited September 2019
    I prefer both, Strangerville had new career, new story, world with more lot than del sol valley(EP) :lol: , and fight boss (mother plant). And RoM, of course I really need some occult for my game :wink:
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2019
    StrangerVille
    Strangerville seems to have become my favorite pack, so I'll vote for Strangerville. :)

It's just a fun place for my Sims to live in. And my world famous celebrity Sim can go chill at the bar without getting mobbed by fans. I'm not a fan of desert worlds, but it is strangely beautiful.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,455 Member
    Realm of Magic
    I'm inclined towards Realm of Magic because it's awesome and I think I'll get more longevity and general gameplay out of it and magic is something I've wanted for quite a while.

But that doesn't mean I don't like Strangerville or get use from it because I definitely do. It's very unique and bizarre and I love that it exists because I can at least have this one town that's totally wonky and weird. I really love the feel of it.

Man, the Game Packs are just on fire. Vampires, Realm of Magic, Strangerville and Jungle Adventure are my favorite Sims 4 packs. (Not necessarily in that order, but Vampires is always on top.) It makes me kind of feel bad for Expansion Packs, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,340 Member
    edited September 2019
    Realm of Magic
    Spoilers? Except for Strange which is literally (the weirdest) GP ever and gives us only an aspiration as the only new mechanic which is a plot based on there isn't really spoilers regarding Magic it's just gameplay not a story. I don't get people who get annoyed at gameplay 'spoilers'. Yes me telling you that Familiars talk to you and are fairly hilarious is ruining the experience of your enjoyment.

As the topic title states in it, "No Spoilers." It's just being respectful and mindful towards other players who want to discover these things without others revealing it to them. You don't need to be sarcastic or rude about it by saying things like, "Yes me telling you that Familiars talk to you and are fairly hilarious is ruining the experience of your enjoyment." Also, this thread is about which pack people prefer and not about questioning why people don't want spoilers. Anyways, happy simming. :)
    Post edited by rjssim on
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    StrangerVille
    @ChampandGirlie That sounds even more unrealistic

Sorry, I somehow just saw this.

Strange things can and do happen.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Realm of Magic
    Strangerville Pros:
    +Good size world with very nice neighborhoods.
    +New Military career
    +Mystery to solve.
    +Strange random things happen in town/with sims
    + If you are creative you can use some of the new items to play with other packs installed like scientist career from GTW.

Strangerville Cons
    -Once you solve the mystery there is not much else new to do with the pack.
    -Every new game you go to strangerville its strange, there is no way to turn off the weirdness unless
    you beat the story again or use mods.
    -/+Most of the new game-play items are tied to the story once you Finnish the story there is no/limited use for them.

Realm Of Magic Pros
    +New spell caster occult
    + Potions; There is now a reason to explore worlds to find ingredients.
    + Familiars/ Cats and Dogs can be familiars.
    +\- CAS is different and out there.
    + Spells and curses
    + This one is a personal one but i'm glad we can just give sims potions and other non-played sims would drink it right away instead of put it on the table and called sims over to drink them. (That never worked out)

Realm Of Magic Cons
    - Lots of bugs! (and not the ones we want in the game)
    -No interactions with Familiars (Would at least like to talk to them)
    -Spells don't really kill sims.
    -World is nice but tiny.
    -No new career( Potions also don't have a $ value. Hopefully this is a bug and
    not intentional so we can at least sell potions we make.

There both completely different packs to be honest if you can get both there both good.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    StrangerVille
    Strangerville is amazing! I had a blast with it. ROM is the most disappointing sim pack so far. In my opinion. :#
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Realm of Magic
    It's a tough choice but I prefer Realm of Magic for more replayability. StrangerVille is replayable too but you have to be rpretty creative with it to have fun with it more than a few times.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Realm of Magic
    I really love both, but as a builder, I'd say Realm of Magic. It has better windows, even if the build mode items from Strangerville are really good too. And then there's the magic...
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    Realm of Magic
    For me, it's ROM, of course! Because of spellcasters and potions, I was waiting for them since the Sims 4 release day.

But I wouldn't give any advice cause some players may prefer sci-fi settings and storytelling over the fantasy. For those Strangerville fits better. Strangerville is a good pack, really. I like the shabby and dusty atmosphere of the town, it's perfect for building run-down households. I can see plenty of ways to play with this pack even if you avoid to deal with Strangerville mystery. And the main feature of this pack, I think, is playing for "paranoid" sim. You not only have the trait and some devices, but you also have the real reason to be paranoid!

P.S.: it's funny that choosing the Realm of Magic over the Strangerville pack, I'm actually defending the last one. Well, I would really appreciate more "storytelling" packs, I think that Strangerville was a good experiment. While ROM is just what was expected.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Realm of Magic
    Yeah I do Like Stangerville for it's concept, but I would have liked to be able to create my own narrative. like maybe after you play Strangerville out, You unlock certain tools to create your own plot or something... especially with Realm of Magic out, I can make some incredible antagonists, and stage some epic battles between my sims... if they gave us the tools.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    StrangerVille
    Stangerville because it's a nice sizable town with no glitches & it literally goes with Get to Work.
    Realm of Magic still isn't fixed.
  • Options
    davidsaradavidsara Posts: 117 Member
    StrangerVille
    i'd say realm of magic but i ultimatly had to say strangerville because the RoM is so badly done i needed 4 mods to make it work how it should have.