Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About the new content.....

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    J
    kirkuk wrote: »
    EA are not going to remove an item of content (which, unlike that infernal eyeball ring, isn’t even marked to generate on random sims) they’ve already made and released which is relevant to the everyday lives of millions of people because some people don’t want to even scroll past it in CAS. Some of you are being ridiculously entitled about this.

They can absolutely put it into a separate, optional download like the holiday pack, yes.

There is nothing entitled about what we are asking. Move along.

—T
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    To7m wrote: »

Sorry, but you need to stop. You’re not allowed to dictate to what we want in our games or not wanting them and our reasons for it. ....

Seriously, @SimGuruNinja @SimGuruAaron @SimGuruHouts @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruKate ... literally any sim guru. Who do I speak to about getting these items put in a separate pack for those that want it. Because I don’t and I’m not updating my game until they’re removed.

—T

Whoah, there, tiger.

I am not the one making ultimatums of you or the Gurus or anyone. That would be YOU.

I am pointing out that it is people who live with a practice, daily, who can say "this is what this is actually about", when others try to tell them they are wrong about their own lives. That's all.

I don't wear hijab. I am not Muslim. I don't live in the Middle East. That is why I am very careful to listen to my Somali friend from college. She lives in New York, now, and has for years. But she's black, African, Muslim, and wears hijab. I'll take her as an authority on what it's like to live with one, there and here. I'll listen to my atheist, humanist friend teaching English in Saudi Arabia about what it is like to wear the abaya in public, and how that shapes her experience of the culture there. She was in the same boat I was - an outsider looking in as a stranger, and decided she had to actually be there to learn anything about it. And there she is.

We can learn best from those who actually know. And it was heartbreaking to me to see Simmers opening up about their own experience, with the garment and the culture, and being told they were wrong. That's rude. So is attacking me, for being understandably upset at seeing vulnerable people treated that way here. That needs to stop, not me.
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited September 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    So is attacking me, for being understandably upset at seeing vulnerable people treated that way here. That needs to stop, not me.

Calling all these people vulnerable is pretty demeaning. Taking one or two people as a grand authority over all experiences is also not ideal. Do other people's experiences, especially negative ones, not matter?

Article 9 in the equality act covers freedom of belief, which includes religion, but in the same section it describes how criticising a religion is part of freedom of belief. Any player who doesn't want this content because of religious connotations is therefore by right allowed to complain.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,340 Member
    edited September 2019

Sorry, but you need to stop. You’re not allowed to dictate to what we want in our games or not wanting them and our reasons for it. ....

Seriously, @SimGuruNinja @SimGuruAaron @SimGuruHouts @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruKate ... literally any sim guru. Who do I speak to about getting these items put in a separate pack for those that want it. Because I don’t and I’m not updating my game until they’re removed.

—T
    That's rude. So is attacking me, for being understandably upset at seeing vulnerable people treated that way here. That needs to stop, not me.

You know what is rude and what needs to stop? You accusing people of things like you did to me for my post about wanting to see items that I would like included in a future pack. You took my post and twisted it to try and fuel your arguments with no respect for what others would like to see in the game. Please, stop with the hypocrisy.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited September 2019

—T

Whoah, there, tiger.

I am not the one making ultimatums of you or the Gurus or anyone. That would be YOU.

I am pointing out that it is people who live with a practice, daily, who can say "this is what this is actually about", when others try to tell them they are wrong about their own lives. That's all.

I don't wear hijab. I am not Muslim. I don't live in the Middle East. That is why I am very careful to listen to my Somali friend from college. She lives in New York, now, and has for years. But she's black, African, Muslim, and wears hijab. I'll take her as an authority on what it's like to live with one, there and here. I'll listen to my atheist, humanist friend teaching English in Saudi Arabia about what it is like to wear the abaya in public, and how that shapes her experience of the culture there. She was in the same boat I was - an outsider looking in as a stranger, and decided she had to actually be there to learn anything about it. And there she is.

We can learn best from those who actually know. And it was heartbreaking to me to see Simmers opening up about their own experience, with the garment and the culture, and being told they were wrong. That's rude. So is attacking me, for being understandably upset at seeing vulnerable people treated that way here. That needs to stop, not me.

So take your own advice. You don’t wear a hijab, so be quiet. Nobody is attacking you, grow up. I do not want religious clothing in my game. I don’t really care how heartbroken you are about it, quite frankly, I find that hard to believe considering probably 99.9% of us have never even met you.

—T
  • Options
    zekrayatzekrayat Posts: 1,855 Member
    So is attacking me, for being understandably upset at seeing vulnerable people treated that way here. That needs to stop, not me.

Calling all these people vulnerable is pretty demeaning. Taking one or two people as a grand authority over all experiences is also not ideal. Do other people's experiences, especially negative ones, not matter?

Article 9 in the equality act covers freedom of belief, which includes religion, but in the same section it describes how criticising a religion is part of freedom of belief. Any player who doesn't want this content because of religious connotations is therefore by right allowed to complain.

The Equality Act is a piece of British legislation protecting people who use various services against discrimination and harassment, and there is no sensible reading of section 29 whereby a service-provider providing a headscarf in a computer game which anyone can play is discriminating against atheists on the basis of a protected characteristic.

• Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,340 Member
    edited September 2019
    kirkuk wrote: »

The Equality Act is a piece of British legislation protecting people who use various services against discrimination and harassment, and there is no sensible reading of section 29 whereby a service-provider providing a headscarf in a computer game which anyone can play is discriminating against atheists on the basis of a protected characteristic.

If you read closely, PrincipleOfEntropy wasn't referring to the service providers or the Sims inside the computer but was referring to that other individual's remarks about vulnerable people.
  • Options
    BloodValkyrieBloodValkyrie Posts: 232 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    @BloodValkyrie

Sorry, I just don't know the proper term for it, or how to word what I've been seeing in regards to the outcry of anger over a hijab.

I'm sorry for getting uppity. I think it's a hot issue for me. It's like ... why bring race into this? But once again, I'm sorry. Next time try Islamophobic (although I've seen people misuse that word too), prejudiced, or bigoted. It feels more accurate.
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    Next time try ...prejudiced, or bigoted. It feels more accurate.

Yes - these were the words I was not able to summon to my head yesterday, thank you!

• Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Conclusion : they never think about what they are doing, they always throw weird things to appeal a new fan base, people are complaining then it's the fault of the player.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2019
    Conclusion : they never think about what they are doing, they always throw weird things to appeal a new fan base, people are complaining then it's the fault of the player.

A hijab isn't "weird" though. It's unfamiliar to some of us, but not to everyone. In addition, it was a requested item so that some players could make the game seem more familiar to them. EA has been making items from different cultures for a while now. I wish that they hadn't called it Muslim-inspired because that set off such a firestorm. However, there wasn't a peep when that page that specifically calls the holiday tree a Christmas tree was published.

I don't get it. ::shrug::

In any case, I'm almost certain that a modder will come along with a hider mod so that those who don't even want to see such a thing won't have to.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone! We've closed this thread while we review it.

EA_Joz
  • Options
    EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone. After further review, we will be leaving this thread closed due to it being completely off-topic. Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top