Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This needs attention...

https://youtu.be/kg_3uOst1sg

He makes A LOT of good points and brings some thing to light. It really needs to be thought about...

Comments

• Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm so glad someone put this on the forums. It was an extremely well done video with a mature critique of some things that have been going on lately. This is the kind of criticism that needs to be seen by the gurus, not the constant pouting and name calling that sometimes ends up in every single forum thread. Really hope they take all this to heart and realize the die hard fans want the best for our favorite franchise.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm so glad someone put this on the forums. It was an extremely well done video with a mature critique of some things that have been going on lately. This is the kind of criticism that needs to be seen by the gurus, not the constant pouting and name calling that sometimes ends up in every single forum thread. Really hope they take all this to heart and realize the die hard fans want the best for our favorite franchise.

Exactly how I feel, I really appirated that he took the time to address this all in a respectful manner. I may be disappointed in this installment, but I would LOVE for them to see what we want addressed and just want our voice to be heard too.

EDIT : I felt like I had to put this up, it needed to be said.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2019
    He lost me when he said the unusable drawers being on the wrong side of the island along with the island being a different shade than the counter makes the whole island unusable.

Just felt like he was whining at that point. Seriously? The island is unusable because the counter top is white and the island is 1/4 shade away?
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,737 Member
    I think it is great that he made a video about this. I don't think it is easy to be critical when you are an EA Game Changer. But he is being very honest and are talking about some real problems.

I hope EA and Maxis listens to this and does something about it. There is clearly some management problems here, are maxis not getting enough time and money to work on this or is it something else?

The sims is an important franchise EA, don't ruin it by trying to make as much money as possible.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited September 2019
    I posted about this in the feedback section but I agree with everything he said. He’s honest but he’s still being very respectful and is giving out needed criticism. I love the sims 4, but sometimes the quality of what is released initially (bugs, poor quality items, etc) is just not what it should be in such a big franchise. In my honest opinion I think some of the packs are rushed out by EA so the devs aren’t getting the real time they need to properly play test. I said this in the feedback section and I’ll say it again...if they are going to continue this game for a few more years something needs to change. The game will not make it otherwise.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    He's completely right with everything he said. It's disappointing every time a new update or pack comes out cause something is always broken.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I always thought it was the lightning in the room that made the counter colors look different. Saw a tweet asking James, are you sure it’s a mistake and not meant to be like that, I mean, c’mon :|
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Its probably good that the video was done by James to be honest. He seems to have a good rapport with the Sims team so maybe they'll take these things into consideration and at least fix what's broken or just not quite right, and keep these things in mind when creating future content. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping...
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    He lost me when he said the unusable drawers being on the wrong side of the island along with the island being a different shade than the counter makes the whole island unusable.

Just felt like he was whining at that point. Seriously? The island is unusable because the counter top is white and the island is 1/4 shade away?

We pay a lot of money for these games, all these DLC's that add up to thousands of dollars. If you buy an expensive service or expensive product you expect everything to be perfect, right? You don't want your new phone to have a crack in the screen when you receive it, right? It's just a tiny little crack? We give them our money, they should at least give the plum counters the correct matching colors.

I agree with this. I’m also very glad to see this video is getting so much attention on the forums.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,651 Member

I agree it sounds a bit too much and maybe I don't think he really meant it that way cuz he's still gonna use it. But you have to rmemeber, he is a simmer who loves to build so of course he likes all the colors to be matching, etc. I also agree with him that it's weird how the drawers are on the same side, it's not that hard to just flip the mesh around (from a 3D modeling point of view, for me at least). If they can pull the top part out, they can flip the body around, unless of course they merged the whole thing together as one mesh, then, yes, that would be problematic. But I guess, they could then just drag the back part of the top...?

But who knows. I ain't a 3D modeler for Maxis.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    reiureyareiureya Posts: 80 Member
    I've seen this video posted on three or four different threads today. And I'll say it again, it's a matter of taste on what you decide to use in a build. Yes, there are bugs in the game. What game doesn't have bugs? You answer me that.... Because the answer is NO game is bug free. Do they do enough to address the bugs that are in Sims 4? I think that there would need to be a second team dedicated just to game patches. They are trying to build content, which is something that most Simmers are asking them to do. That takes time, revenue, labor, and collaboration. I think the development team itself is very rushed to push out more content. They really need the extra weeks or months to make sure everything is up to par. However, EA isn't the only one that is rushing them to push out content. We do too. They worked their behinds off for the magic expansion that's coming out, and they put a lot of effort into giving us new stair controls and anniversary content. We should be asking the developers questions, but most importantly, WE NEED to encourage them to work on Sims 4 too. I can agree with some points made in the video on places that need work. That's where mod developers should be helping step in and find solutions that the developers can use to fix the problem in base code. Modders are also a part of the development community (Aren't you?) that could help work on these fine details.
  • Options
    lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Sure, the drawers bug me and the color swatch on the black one is wrong and the end counters should definitely be skinnier, but I do not mind the shade mismatch at all. However, I see his point. Players should not be testing this and finding what is wrong.

I also want to point out that the new fence we have is called... "Fence." It doesn't even look like a normal fence. and the new stairs are called "Stairs." Seriously, EA. I usually like your creativity in naming and describing objects and it just doesn't show here. I'm grateful for the new objects but quality has been super low lately.
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Saw that early today and can't agree with James more if I tried. It's unforgivable what they did with the Island Living island...we pay good money for this stuff, they shouldn't forget stuff and, when they do, when it's fixed it should be fixed correctly. Don't they have quality control?
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member

For him, and many of us, it is that way. Just because you may be okay with half-plumbed stuff doesn't mean he's wrong.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Sure, the drawers bug me and the color swatch on the black one is wrong and the end counters should definitely be skinnier, but I do not mind the shade mismatch at all. However, I see his point. Players should not be testing this and finding what is wrong.

I also want to point out that the new fence we have is called... "Fence." It doesn't even look like a normal fence. and the new stairs are called "Stairs." Seriously, EA. I usually like your creativity in naming and describing objects and it just doesn't show here. I'm grateful for the new objects but quality has been super low lately.

Yeah, almost all the items in the patch are named that way. Makes me think that there wasn't originally a plan for an anniversary addition of build/buy but then they must've seen that the community expected something and naming was the least of their priorities.

James's video isn't the first time he's pointed out things that aren't working the way they should, or aren't looking the way we'd expect them to. This summer just seems to have things piling up. Makes me wonder about the amount of stuff the devs have been working on and what kinda deadlines they have. When things are rushed, they don't get done well, unfortunately.
    (dear EA, please hire a proper testing team for quality control, right now it feels like it's the coders doing that on top of their usual work)
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    There is a whole discussion on twitter about his video.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Glad I could bring more attention to it.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2019

For him, and many of us, it is that way. Just because you may be okay with half-plumbed stuff doesn't mean he's wrong.

I’m not with the dramatics, that’s for sure.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Wow, they all this time with those counters and they don't even match. That's just embarrassing.
  • Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Agreed on all points. It's basically sloppy, careless work. Packs cost so much that they should seriously be checking all this stuff, or actually putting in effort to start with (those wicker shelves! Seriously, just stretching them? Uncool), before it goes out.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    I was going to delete the CC matching island counters I downloaded a couple of days after Island Living was released. But as soon as I saw the teams had messed up the waterfall edge I decided to keep the CC ones. And the swatches match a lot better, too. When the teams overlook small details like this it says volumes about the bigger details they also miss. Such as the freelance fashion photographer career gigs and the tripod. Or how messed up the restaurants have been since Dine Out was released. I have been using a suite of eight mods created by one modder that fixed every issue I experienced with restaurants. Now he has given up on updating those because Maxis can't stop breaking the very code they created. The Moschino update was the final straw for this modder, so he is no longer willing to put his time and effort into updating his mods for restaurants. Some players might not care about restaurants even though they were the main selling point of Dine Out. But I care because restaurants have always been a favorite feature of mine.

James Turner makes a very good point when he says there is a serious lack of quality control before these new packs are released. If the teams 'forget' or 'overlook' certain features that affect our satisfaction and ability to play the game our way, then take months, years, or make no effort to fix bugs, we have the right to be unhappy. Key gameplay elements come to us broken, and oftentimes, unplayable. Then we look to the modding community for fixes. Then those fixes become unusable whenever an update, patch and new pack comes along. The old saying we are in control of playing this game our way was left behind a long time ago. The only control we seem to have left is the ability to not update our game and buy new packs. Not using mods of any kind is not an option until the teams can eliminate more of the serious bugs and tone down some of the annoyances that have been annoying many of us for the past three years. The teams need to stop looking to the modding community to fix the game. The teams created this game so it is their responsibility to fix it.
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    I think one of the biggest issues with the IL counters is the fact the kitchen counters don’t line up with the sitting counters, leaving jagged edges after placement where they meet. It gives it a very incomplete unclean look.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited September 2019

I’m not with the dramatics, that’s for sure.

Builders are really passionate about what they create, and are a big part of the community. Many spend hours on builds which they kindly upload for others to enjoy. How is calling them dramatic for wanting their build to look perfect, with matching colors and all, any right? Why can’t they voice their concerns without you deeming it whining?

Just comes across as very off for one to attack others for legitimate concerns.
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    I'd love more bug fixes as well, since the Moschino career seemed rushed... so many problems.

Also offtopic but @Sk8rblaze Who is that nice looking Sim in your ava, and is it downloadable?