Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotational Play - Keeping the population in check!

MHsimsFanMHsimsFan Posts: 154 Member
For those of you who are rotational players, do you limit the number of children your sims have to keep your rotation in check? I find myself only allowing one or two babies because I don't want to get overwhelmed. If not, how do you keep the rotational schedule in check?

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I always play 7 households in my rotation cos it works out well dividing them between the 28 day seasons.

Therefore it doesn't matter how many kids anyone has, I will always just play 7 homes. I tend to pick a fave child and move to them when I get bored with the parents.
  • Options
    PenguinBudgiePenguinBudgie Posts: 44 Member
    I just go by what I feel like for the particular household. In my current save, some only have two children while others have six. If I want to check on the population, I have a family tree I use; or if I don't want to leave/minimize the game, I just open the "Options" tab and select the next tab where the culling limit is listed (can't remember exactly where that's under right now).
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I don't restrict the number of kids they have but I have said that if it gets too large, at a certain point, some sims will have to move away or will switch to mostly unplayed. I don't follow a strict schedule but I do keep everyone roughly generationally in synch so that the older sims age out before the younger ones. If I really get bored with a sim, I'll switch them to unplayed but usually they do become interesting as I play them.

I'm basically playing a "town" comprised of the interconnected worlds. My goal is to keep it all varied but then to see quirky interactions.

In terms of the number of kids that they have, different households do different things. It's kind of fun to go from the chaos of a household with five kids bouncing off the walls to a single sim hacking into the jungle or Brent Hecking spazzing over his cat jumping on his counter.

I flip between the houses depending on what I'm in the mood for but I make sure to play each of the various houses at some point. I will pick some favorites from among all of the households eventually based on what I have time for.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I want to play rotational, but I'm afraid to play in the same save and have something unexpected happen to one of my sims while I play with the other. Do you guys play rotational in different saves or in the same?
  • Options
    Simmelina1Simmelina1 Posts: 2,626 Member
    I play a town. Most families have 3-6 children. I play each family one simweek.
    Origin id: Simmelina
    simmelina1.wordpress.com
    The life of my sims. Elina & Don.

49992523523_7fe1918650_c.jpg
  • Options
    I want to play rotational, but I'm afraid to play in the same save and have something unexpected happen to one of my sims while I play with the other. Do you guys play rotational in different saves or in the same?

I don't think it could be classed as rotational if they are not in the same save - that's just playing different saves ;)

Part of the fun of playing a rotational game is seeing sims you have played going about the world and interacting with them whilst you are in a different household.
  • Options
    sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    I keep my population in check as I let some of my Sims have families, others dont. I think to myself whether the sim I'm playing would actually want children or not. If I feel like children would fit in with their traits then they have a small family. If I think they wouldn't want children then they might have a partner but no children. It works for me so far
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I tend to have between 1 and 3 children, although the Sinclair-Kim-Lewis family has gotten quite large with 12 members in two households. That's because of the Big Happy Family and Sucessful Linage aspirations of the elders.

I do enjoy going from the chaos there to playing a single Sim or a new couple. I am at a stage now where I am having lots of marriages.
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    When I play rotationally I don't tend to limit the amount of children my Sims have unless it fits their storyline. I typically am only playing 6-8 families at a time when playing rotationally and I choose the amount of kids they have based on the story I've made up for them. I have many of the kids marry my other rotational families so that kind of keeps the number of Sims in check to a certain point.
  • Options

I only have the one save. I actually like watching my sims run around the world doing other things. I also find that my families are more connected to each other than they ever used to be. The worst thing I've run into is that pets are always sick when you return back to their family rotation. There is a mod available to fix that, so I have started using it and it no longer seems to be an issue.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    MHsimsFan wrote: »

I only have the one save. I actually like watching my sims run around the world doing other things. I also find that my families are more connected to each other than they ever used to be. The worst thing I've run into is that pets are always sick when you return back to their family rotation. There is a mod available to fix that, so I have started using it and it no longer seems to be an issue.

I don't think it could be classed as rotational if they are not in the same save - that's just playing different saves ;)

Part of the fun of playing a rotational game is seeing sims you have played going about the world and interacting with them whilst you are in a different household.

I get that the whole point is to have your families interact with each other and stuff. It must be pretty fun, but aren't you scared that one of your sims will suddenly marry a townie, get pregnant, become an elder or even a vampire, when you had other plans for them?

I'm gonne give it a try, though. It does sound fun.
  • Options
    SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    edited September 2019
    @Wallsisms4ever Things like that doesn't happen in households you don't play. If you have aging on, Sims may die, but other autonomous stuff never happens, except you are using the MCCC mod and have that story progression enabled.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    My sim families only usually have between 1 to 3 children. I've never felt like they need to have more than that.
  • Options
    SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    edited September 2019
    I dont limit the number of my children. All my households have between 3 and 5 children, but I have two households with 7 children. That happens when the parents are about to age to elders and most of their kids already moved out.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I don't limit the number of children, but I guess I'm not a true rotational player either since I don't have a rotation schedule. I just play whichever Sims feel fun in the moment. I let my Sims make their own decisions about number of children (and everything else). I mean, whatever it seems like they would want.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I don't have a rotational schedule either @Rouenpucelle , I don't think it makes it any less true rotational play :) I try to keep siblings and friends aging in synch but if a household isn't closely tied to other stories then they don't need to be aging at the same time. I'm quite flexible and imagine some sims in the neighbourhood just "age well" or live longer.

I do watch how many children my sims have, I think 4 is the most I've had in one family. Then out of those four I would not allow everyone to have children, so that I can keep the gene pool (of played sims) more diverse. Also I might drop some of those children out of my rotation. Most families have 1-3 children to keep things simple.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    When I play rotationally I don't tend to limit the amount of children my Sims have unless it fits their storyline. I typically am only playing 6-8 families at a time when playing rotationally and I choose the amount of kids they have based on the story I've made up for them. I have many of the kids marry my other rotational families so that kind of keeps the number of Sims in check to a certain point.

Yes, I do that as well.
    My Sims only marry amongst themselves, very very rarely do they date outside of my played households. This helps a great deal with population.
    I try to keep the number of households I actively play below 10 but if I have too many, it's not a big deal. I will just visit my least favourite ones only randomly for a sim day every now and then to quickly check up on them.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I don't have a rotational schedule either. I don't know if that would change if I added Seasons, but I expect it wouldn't. I play each family until I feel finished with them for this round.

I have all story progression off and aging off as well.
  • Options
    I do use a schedule and play each household for a week at a time (changing on Monday at 2 am). I have aging set to only current played household, and activate the aging of the community between my families to reduce the mourning on one family. Currently I have three families in the rotation (hence the topic of this thread because I am a bit OCD at keeping the number down). This current generation only had one child each, so my next generation will also be at three.
  • Options
    sims_premadesims_premade Posts: 789 Member
    I roll a dice to decide the number of children but tend to limit to 4. I keep track of the families with a spreadsheet with all their ages and the order of play, days to play and events that need to happen (birthdays mainly) so I keep the ages in track.
    hqEK2sI.png

• Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I make all my played sims unable to have children when I'm making them in CAS. I only play adult couples, no kids.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    My limit for children is 2 per household, regardless of whether I do rotational play or not!
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I always play 7 households in my rotation cos it works out well dividing them between the 28 day seasons.

Therefore it doesn't matter how many kids anyone has, I will always just play 7 homes. I tend to pick a fave child and move to them when I get bored with the parents.

@elanorbreton your method is quite interesting. How do you deal with aging?
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I limit my families to 1-2 kids, unless its accidental (like twins on the second pregnancy) OR if their aspirations are about having a bunch of kids.
  • Options
    @Karon I have ageing off for most of the time, I turn it on for all (played and non played) 4 days during Summer (each household is played for 4 days each season) and turn it on again for 4 days at new year.

I used to only do the new year switch on but found them ageing too slowly for my liking. I may adjust it more, depending how I feel it's going.