August 12th- It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

Would you get Realm Of Magic just for stuff, not gameplay?

Comments

  • CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    Nah. I end up getting CC for CAS items and hate building so I've never bought any pack just for the items.

    Although this has been at the top of my list since the sims 4 came out so I'm 100% here for gameplay features
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,662 Member
    To be honest, I've bought a whole bunch of packs I wasn't convinced about just for the BB/CAS items. I've barely used any of the features from GTW and Spa Day for example, but I use the items they came with all the time. So long as you make use of them I don't see anything wrong with buying just for BB/CAS. I'm really looking forward to the gameplay for this one though! All the new objects will just be an added bonus!
  • AnyahsAnyahs Posts: 36 Member
    If I don't care for what the pack can do, I always get it for the stuff. I got outdoor retreat just for the stuff and mushrooms. I love the tents for my homeless sims too. I still haven't gotten vampires yet but I plan to once they put another good sale out. CAS, build/buy items... if I like the gameplay options as well then bonus.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,788 Member
    Yes, almost every pack I buy is for the build/buy stuff we get with it, not the gameplay itself - though I definitely do use some of it for game play. The only packs that I've really bought for game play have been Dine Out, the Spa one, Dogs & Cats, Seasons and Get To Work. Everything else I think, has been for the objects. This will be no different. I have several builds that I have shops that are new age or gothic or spooky type stores, incorporating some magical items in those will be awesome.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I got vampires so I could make fixer-upper/very run down homes. I just delete all the vampires. I did get it on sale though, as I never pay full price.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,627 Member
    Actually, when they announced it, I wasn't thrilled, but had high hopes for extras. I love the world and that, the clothes, and the overall look is wonderful. Shocked by the world. The potions and is that bookcase a hidden door is what I'm wondering? Disappointed that the crystal ball isn't one. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.🙂
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2019
    Just the opposite, getting the gameplay, not the stuff.
    I don’t see me using clothing at all. It doesn’t look fashionable to me.

    The build content is iffy I don’t know yet if the stained glass windows will look good in my Sorcerer’s mansion I had already built Romantic Garden, Get Together, Vampires, Cats and Dogs, and Vintage Glamour essentially built the Mansion. Hard to determine whether or not Realm of Magic's build content will be cohesive with the other build material
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

    My Mood:

    tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I'm going on a tangent here but I'll try to be respectable.

    In my honest opinion the fact that a lot of people are having religious apprehension or just not into the more fantastical and silly stuff and are still going to buy a set literally called Realm of Magic strikes me as absolutely and utterly incomprehensible. If you don't want magic don't buy a fantasy themed pack? Honestly if you just want magic-themed decor just get CC spending 20$ on something all about a Life State and having a rather passionate insistence against said life state and wanting nothing to do with it strikes me as rather silly. On another forum, I was flamed for being surprised someone couldn't afford a 20$ dlc but excited for Realm of Magic. So in my experience from that I feel if you are honestly against fantasy with a flaming passion you should NOT buy this dlc.

    If you want fantasy content to decorate just get CC and be done with it. Nothing in a DLC pack in any game that exceeds 5$ should be worth just one aspect imo. Simply put if you don't want Occult in your game don't buy a game pack specifically geared towards the Occult
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I'm going on a tangent here but I'll try to be respectable.

    In my honest opinion the fact that a lot of people are having religious apprehension or just not into the more fantastical and silly stuff and are still going to buy a set literally called Realm of Magic strikes me as absolutely and utterly incomprehensible. If you don't want magic don't buy a fantasy themed pack? Honestly if you just want magic-themed decor just get CC spending 20$ on something all about a Life State and having a rather passionate insistence against said life state and wanting nothing to do with it strikes me as rather silly. On another forum, I was flamed for being surprised someone couldn't afford a 20$ dlc but excited for Realm of Magic. So in my experience from that I feel if you are honestly against fantasy with a flaming passion you should NOT buy this dlc.

    If you want fantasy content to decorate just get CC and be done with it. Nothing in a DLC pack in any game that exceeds 5$ should be worth just one aspect imo. Simply put if you don't want Occult in your game don't buy a game pack specifically geared towards the Occult

    I just wanted to point out that for me, I wait to buy any game pack or expansion pack until it is 50% off. So in this case, buying this pack just the stuff would literally be buying it for the cost of a Stuff Pack.

    Also, I don’t use CC in my game for various reasons, so my game content is limited to what the developers create.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,268 Member
    i am buying realm of magic mostly for the buy mode content and maybe the clothes but not for the lifestate since i have no plan on playing witches or wizards
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery



    Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

    1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I don't use cc either just trying to give my opinion in the nicest way
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Well, I am not an occult player, never have been and probably won't ever be. But I am going to buy this pack to have the new world of Glimmerbrook. And since that is a personal choice; the where, how and why I spend my money is nobody's business, to be quite honest. You have the right to express your personal opinion. But, personally, I do not agree you have the right to bring an argument that began in another forum into this forum and expect a different response from the one you already got. Attacking personal choices, and the right to have personal choices, is just not cool.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited August 2019
    @Paigeisin5 The flame was at the price and I'm just saying the reason I was flamed (how dare you insult someone for not affording 20$) made me realize if 20$ is really that much in most low income homes then buying this pack for anything but magic just sounds like a bad idea. I don't care what people do with the pack I'm just expressing my opinion of how I find it really weird to wanna buy a fantasy set if you hate fantasy in your Sims sessions.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,404 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I'm going on a tangent here but I'll try to be respectable.

    In my honest opinion the fact that a lot of people are having religious apprehension or just not into the more fantastical and silly stuff and are still going to buy a set literally called Realm of Magic strikes me as absolutely and utterly incomprehensible. If you don't want magic don't buy a fantasy themed pack? Honestly if you just want magic-themed decor just get CC spending 20$ on something all about a Life State and having a rather passionate insistence against said life state and wanting nothing to do with it strikes me as rather silly. On another forum, I was flamed for being surprised someone couldn't afford a 20$ dlc but excited for Realm of Magic. So in my experience from that I feel if you are honestly against fantasy with a flaming passion you should NOT buy this dlc.

    If you want fantasy content to decorate just get CC and be done with it. Nothing in a DLC pack in any game that exceeds 5$ should be worth just one aspect imo. Simply put if you don't want Occult in your game don't buy a game pack specifically geared towards the Occult

    I am a realistic player and I don't use mods or CC. I used a lot of "hours played" in CAS and building because I use those items most. I am glad they are making it so I have a choice to play realistic or fantasy. After Vampires (which is the best in sim series imo) I won't bother buying another pack with a life state unless I do have a choice. There is really no need for anyone to tell someone NOT to buy any pack though.

    You were flamed because someone couldn't afford it but really excited for it? I hope a kind soul comes along and gifts it to that person, lots of good people here on these forums.

    I can tell you are frustrated, and I understand. I don't have a problem not buying a pack, because I know someone else would love it and get good use out of it. I had everything in prior series, but S4 is different. I may or may not have a complete collection, but I know I am much more careful in buying them and not upset if I don't.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 603 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I'm going on a tangent here but I'll try to be respectable.

    In my honest opinion the fact that a lot of people are having religious apprehension or just not into the more fantastical and silly stuff and are still going to buy a set literally called Realm of Magic strikes me as absolutely and utterly incomprehensible. If you don't want magic don't buy a fantasy themed pack? Honestly if you just want magic-themed decor just get CC spending 20$ on something all about a Life State and having a rather passionate insistence against said life state and wanting nothing to do with it strikes me as rather silly. On another forum, I was flamed for being surprised someone couldn't afford a 20$ dlc but excited for Realm of Magic. So in my experience from that I feel if you are honestly against fantasy with a flaming passion you should NOT buy this dlc.

    If you want fantasy content to decorate just get CC and be done with it. Nothing in a DLC pack in any game that exceeds 5$ should be worth just one aspect imo. Simply put if you don't want Occult in your game don't buy a game pack specifically geared towards the Occult

    I understand and agree with some aspects of your argument here, such as someone who may not enjoy fantasy/supernatural content in their game - then yes, this pack would not be on my list of recommendations.

    However, if someone wants to buy the pack purely for the CAS, Build/Buy content or maybe even both then I think it's understandable. Even I have bought packs for anything other than gameplay - Parenthood is a good example of this as I'm personally not interested in parenting and family gameplay, but I do enjoy the CAS content and the Build/Buy mode objects. Those things alone were enough to make me think 'Yeah, I'm gonna buy this'. As for custom content, not all players can use or want it in their game.

    SimGuruRomeo also confirmed that players can ignore the portal if they'd prefer, so they won't have to experience magic in their gameplay but can still use Glimmerbrook like any other world if they desire. Ultimately, what packs we think are worth it or not is personal to the individual and if you don't think it's worth it for the reasons you said, then that's totally fine! Just bare in mind that not everyone will feel the same. :)
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    @FairyGodMother Yeah I expressed surprise that they couldn't afford 20$ and it turned into me getting flamed I didn't mean to sound rude I just get insensitive a lot by accident. I don't use CC and mods (boy do mod users never stop talking about various issues mods cause doesn't seem worth it) I'm sorry if I came across as 'demanding you to not buy this' I was just trying to express calmly my bewilderment on the consensus of buying Realm and not want magic. I just expressed what I felt was an option as after that person flamed me for my accidental rudeness I used that experience here in this thread now to try and express my er 'feel bad' ness I guess? To the various realism goers who like this set's decor but not want the magic. I'm not trying to flame people for wanting to buy RoM and not use magic I just wanted to say you might regret it and there ends up some mystical aspects no matter what you do even avoiding the Realm. It's a good thing you can ignore the magic but there might be some aspects just owning the pack might cause that'll annoy realists.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,404 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    @FairyGodMother Yeah I expressed surprise that they couldn't afford 20$ and it turned into me getting flamed I didn't mean to sound rude I just get insensitive a lot by accident. I don't use CC and mods (boy do mod users never stop talking about various issues mods cause doesn't seem worth it) I'm sorry if I came across as 'demanding you to not buy this' I was just trying to express calmly my bewilderment on the consensus of buying Realm and not want magic. I just expressed what I felt was an option as after that person flamed me for my accidental rudeness I used that experience here in this thread now to try and express my er 'feel bad' ness I guess? To the various realism goers who like this set's decor but not want the magic. I'm not trying to flame people for wanting to buy RoM and not use magic I just wanted to say you might regret it and there ends up some mystical aspects no matter what you do even avoiding the Realm. It's a good thing you can ignore the magic but there might be some aspects just owning the pack might cause that'll annoy realists.

    I will definitely be checking out the magic in this pack, but only with a new game and problaby won't use the magic part again :D It looks awesome though!

    I don't have any regrets because you can't go back, just learn from it? If someone flamed me, it would probably just go over my head anyway...I make no sense at all :D
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Personally I am not very rich and don't buy packs very often (mostly due to attention span then money but getting RoM will be a bit difficult with not having paypal/credit card) and I only buy packs for the content as I want to enjoy the game and see buying packs for the decor over new mechanics a waste of money. You do you honestly just as someone who struggles to afford entertainment I can't see the logic of buying a Sims dlc for the decor (unless buying a Stuff Pack which is nothing but decor)
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    To offer a different perspective on buying packs: some people are almost exclusively builders and/or Sim creators. So for them, the primary reason to buy packs is CAS and BB content rather than gameplay.

    If someone has the budget for it and wants the pack, it doesn't matter which part of the pack is the main reason for buying it. For those of us who don't have the disposable budget, of course, the decision process is more complicated.
    avatar art: Loves2draw1812
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 5,996 Member
    I think some of the frustration comes when we have some people who don't like Occults, go and buy an Occult pack for the stuff, then as soon as those fantastical elements start showing up while they're playing, they come to the forums and leave a bunch of feedback complaining that they don't want supernatural stuff in their game... and suddenly the devs are nerfing the gameplay that Occult players like myself bought it for. This is what happened with Vampires. Despite the devs saying over and over that the pack was intended to be focused and separate so that those who don't want Vampires can skip the pack, people bought it anyway for a few pieces of furniture, and suddenly there were outcries on the forums from realistic players complaining about the break-ins, that Vampires were acting like...you know...Vampires. Now I never get break-ins, they just hover outside the door. It was something I was very excited about. Why did my gameplay suffer with the change of something that was originally designed to specifically cater to it just because other people didn't pay attention to the information or didn't want to accept responsibility for taking a chance on their purchase? And now Realm of Magic is contained to only have autonomous magic in a hidden lot and I really wanted my worlds to come alive with magic. I get that they're trying to please a lot of people, but I think sometimes the game suffers for it in the long run because so much content ends up being done so cautiously that the creative freedom of playability becomes limited.

    I mean, there were a few superficial things I wanted in Parenthood, but I didn't go buy it for the hair styles and then get angry and blast around on the forums complaining about misbehaving kids and the messes and oh, how annoying the act of parenting is. If I did, would they have gimped those features too? I don't think so because I did see complaints (still do) about the autonomous messes that kids make everywhere yet it's still happening.

    Just to elucidate, I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing these things or intending to do them. I'm just trying to help clarify why Occult players are filled with trepidation when we hear that people are buying a Supernatural-based pack for the stuff. Because it does often feel like we're the first ones to get our gameplay sacrificed.

    But despite my disappointment that magic won't be around the neighborhoods, I do think it's going to be a really good pack. Maybe my played Sims will have some magical idle animations or maybe we'll get some lot traits to compensate. I really don't want to make assumptions too soon.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,543 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    @Paigeisin5 The flame was at the price and I'm just saying the reason I was flamed (how dare you insult someone for not affording 20$) made me realize if 20$ is really that much in most low income homes then buying this pack for anything but magic just sounds like a bad idea. I don't care what people do with the pack I'm just expressing my opinion of how I find it really weird to wanna buy a fantasy set if you hate fantasy in your Sims sessions.

    Hmm... You know what. I have no problem with anyone spending their last few bucks of the month on a Game Pack, or Stuff Pack or Expansion. Poor people need joy too. If there is one specific thing that really makes it all worth it then go for it. I expect grown people to be able to decide the packs worth to them.

    Why bring bad beef from other forums here? Oh well, I have gotten stuff where only parts of the pack interested me, I trust myself to make that call.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 603 Member
    @LiELF You raise some interesting points. :)

    I love Occult gameplay too and it's my favourite style of gameplay, but it's funny you mention the vampire break-ins. When the vampire pack came out, I found the regular break-ins quickly becoming bothersome for me. It happened almost every night because I started off with a human Sim as I wanted to eventually have them turn into a vampire. I was hoping that they would tone it down, but as you said, they are now practically non-existent. It always seems to be one end of the scale or the other, but never in between.

    I think the main problem here is that we don't have any control over Occult activity, when we should. It would be ideal for the developers to include toggles, especially with packs that are this focused on a subject or theme. It would benefit both realistic and unrealistic play styles and we'd get to pick our own preferences such as how many Occults spawn in a players current world, or increasing or decreasing the rate that Occults will perform magic or vampirism.

    If we had this ability, then it could suit both types of players without any part of the pack needing adjustment at a later date.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I come at that with a different perspective. I don't always like to play occults. I might play a serial killer save (realistic) and vamps breaking in or witches flying on brooms or performing magic at the corner bar would irritate to me to no end. I'm glad vamp break ins are very few and far between for me. Now in my vampire killer save ... they can come to the door as often as they please, maybe witches too soon as they might not suffer a witch to live :).
    I do really, really want witches but I won't play with them all the time with every concept or story I make and play out involving them. I don't want them active in every save either (at least seen anyway). I'm not into merging themes so if I'm having a cult take over the world or an alien coming to impregnate the population to save his own species ... they might not live in the same universe with witches or vampires.
    I like the idea of the player choosing to bring them (occults) to life and have control over how that is displayed. Maybe with clubs they can perform magic autonomously also. I just need control over my characters.
    If I had no interest in witches I can see how that build/buy would be calling me. It's gorgeous...
    egTcBMc.png
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,892 Member
    I’d buy the pack if cas and bb was awesome and I wasn’t into supernaturals. I’m not sure if I’d buy it right away or wait for a sale. It just all depends. But yes, if I like what I see other than supernaturals I’d totally buy.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I bought a lot of packs for the stuff buy I don't ask that the gameplay be changed to my liking. 60% percent of parenthood would be gone from my game if I could. So I get very irritated about what was done to Vampires. Go into it with your eyes open, make sure the stuff is worth it before you buy, but don't buy and then get upset because the game play actually shows up when you play the game. They won't do toggles so all that can happen is nerfs.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top