Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uni and butlers, how do you do it?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Jemkatk wrote: »
    You could get rid of the stove and just get those food materializers from ITF expansion. They can summon their own food, and work on the advanced tech skill. Then you could buy a bonehilda for cleaning.

Yeah, I am really thinking about reinstalling ITF and Supernaturals. Seems Bonehilda would come in handy! Never thought about the food materializers, hadn't played ITF in years, so that is definitely a great solution!

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated :)
  • Options
    I personally hate it when the roommates at Uni try to cook something when they aren't Natural Cooks. I do tend to allow them to cook until they start a fire. Once the fire goes out, I don't replace the burned stuff. "You burned it, too bad. Now, you go without regular servings." At least until any of my sims returns to Uni for a new semester.

Too funny! I went a few days without replacing it (needed to do day jobs to come up with the money) but I had like 10 days till the finals, so I couldn't wait, LOL. I like my sims to cook and clean on the weekends when she doesn't take a hit on her progress :D

Thank you for your input, much appreciated :)
  • Options
    @SimplyJen You know, one time I had my butler disappear after getting the notice that he got his weekly pay :o He was only gone a day though. 3-4 weeks is a long time to be away, and I suppose you couldn't fire him or call services to cancel? Wow, thats some butler :D

I changed households in one of my saves that had a butler (was a while back though) and when my sim was at the park I saw the butler from the other household I had just finished playing :o He was at performance park watching the show! Maybe the butlers go to shows or clubs for fun?

Makes me wonder though, thanks for another memory about why I hadn't used butlers in a while :D
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    I love how this went from a specific question to a Uni help/idea thread. :) I had never thought to use the Bistro set or the ITF food replicators in my dorms. :open_mouth:
    @starguru I do get the all-in-one bath as soon as my sim makes enough money. I put it in her room and lock the door to everyone else. I don't have ITF installed (I usually play the realistic way as much as possible) but have been known to go back and reinstall stuff as I play, so this is good advice. I might just try it out again because I spend more time at uni with my sims, then in their home world :D

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated :)
    I place the all-in-one bath in my Sim’s dorm room behind a locked door too. :) But rather than waiting till a Sim going to Uni can personally afford it, I add everything to the building(s) I intend to use prior to my Sims enrolling so they won’t need to pay for any dorm furnishings themselves. I occasionally edit/replace other buildings around the Uni world too. Someday, once I have my ideal Uni world set-up, I’ll just copy/paste the nhd file for that version of Uni into all my new save folders. For now, I’m enjoying trying out different approaches.

My current basic set-up for any dorm I use is a Bonehilda coffin and general improvements to the common rooms and upgraded appliances. I don’t use Bonehilda in my saves otherwise, but I love having her at Uni to clean and repair all the things. It makes dorm living a much better experience for everyone.

Behind my Sim’s locked door, I place an all-in-one bath, the Super Sleeper from the TS3 Store (so they only need to sleep 4 hours or so) and a desk/computer and bookshelf for gaming and studying, plus the incense burners from WA for bonus moodlets. I also aim for the beautifully decorated moodlet. I add additional objects depending on the situation; those going for fine arts also get easels, if I’m sending more than one Sim at a time I place more Super Sleepers, etc. I also recently began adding the Galaxa Space car (the alien spaceship from Seasons, found in buydebug). It’s not especially realistic, lol, but it is efficient. Since time at Uni is limited, I like to make as much of it as possible.

As mentioned previously, the Apply for Extra Funds option at the Admin building is awesome. The first day you get 2.5K because your grades bar is half full starting out (assuming you apply immediately upon arrival and don’t do any studying first). As you raise your grades and keep them high it goes up to 5K (if you can manage to max the bar with some extra study time right before you go in the building to apply, all the better).

I also do some of the bulletin board job options and other money makers in the various RH buildings as time permits. The biggest payout is from the Organ Donation day job. I just had a Sim go to Uni who did that job several times... she apparently had quite a few superfluous organs! :lol: And she had the Opportunistic LTR, so instead of earning the standard 3.5K each time, she made 7K. Obviously, her organs are twice as valuable! :sunglasses:

Between the organ donation and other odd jobs, applying for extra funds every day and living at a rent-free dorm with all my pre-added amenities... in the two weeks it took her to earn her business degree she had banked about 150K, which is nearly double what she had earned in the two weeks I played her before enrolling her in Uni. She’d been awarded a full scholarship besides, so her only expenses were for some additional skill classes and the occasional dining out/movies/concert dates.

So she now has 230K, has just returned to IP and back to working as a self-employed scuba diver from her small houseboat barge with a tent on it. :joy: She has discovered 5 of the 8 uncharted islands so far, and I was planning to have her run some resorts eventually. But she can begin now because her start-up costs and upgrades can be bankrolled by the funds she earned at Uni. :smiley:
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    @starguru is a power player for sure!! lol Well done!

I don't think any of my sims have made that much at Uni, but they do pretty well. With all the tips given however, I'm thinking my sims will suddenly be doing much better by the time they graduate. lol
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    I for one am so glad to hear that contributions to my university's alumni fund are going to help establish better standards of living and provide business opportunities for underemployed scuba divers who are missing over half of their organs. I mean, that's exactly what I have in mind when I write that check each month. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Surreal wrote: »

I don't think any of my sims have made that much at Uni, but they do pretty well. With all the tips given however, I'm thinking my sims will suddenly be doing much better by the time they graduate. lol
    Lol, I tend to be more goal-oriented at Uni (due to the limited time frame) than in my regular play which is more leisurely and story-based. And this is the most any of my Sims have ever made at Uni, as my goal was for her to earn money for her eventual resort empire. However, she could have made even more had she avoided parties completely and spent less time romancing several Sims. :blush:

I probably should also mention how much I love having NRaas Relativity here. More time in a day is great in homeworlds, but essential to me at Uni.

But speaking of powergaming and optimization, I would like to send a genie alchemist to Uni sometime. Just think of all the possibilities if they didn’t have to ever cook (genie summon food), bathe (genie magically clean), sleep (potent invigorating elixir)... combined with all the other tips!
    igazor wrote: »
    I for one am so glad to hear that contributions to my university's alumni fund are going to help establish better standards of living and provide business opportunities for underemployed scuba divers who are missing over half of their organs. I mean, that's exactly what I have in mind when I write that check each month. :p
    Well, when you say it like that... LOL! Tent-dwelling, organ-impoverished, scuba diver Haven Rafferty appreciates the opportunities, and your contributions. :wink:

Of course, the Uni degree itself serves no real purpose for her as far as game benefits. But I sent her anyway for two reasons... one, because I liked the idea of her earning a business degree prior to running a resort for storytelling purposes. And two, I knew she would make bank there. And she had a free ride anyway.

Also, I think donating all those organs made the ones she still has function more efficiently. I’ve noticed Haven’s lung capacity is much improved now and she can scuba dive indefinitely... :tongue:
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    There is such a lot of great UL info in this thread I can't wait to get back to my Caroline and Friends game to record the next few episodes of their experiences at University.
  • Options
    @starguru I never thought to go into Uni first and add everything, I know it doesn't charge rent regardless of what you add, because I leave everything there for the next sim I send. Wow, why didn't I think of this? LOL. The money my sim can bank doing it your way, geez, but I always seem to think the hard way :D

I did go and reinstall ITF and played the game a little (skilling my sim up a little so it doesn't cost anything for her first semester). I will now go and reinstall SN (I think that is where I get Bonehilda) and go to the store to get the Super Sleeper. Does the incense burner cause fires though? I do have WA installed, so might check that out.

I will try for the funds first, but hopefully I can get it done before the meet n greet pops up, because it ends anything she is doing just to go there. I usually have her introduce herself to the roommates and then its time to go to MnG, so hopefully she can get the funds before that pops up. If not, then she will not go to the MnG, I will make her apply for funds again!

The organ donor is the one I love getting. Crazy how it says you can use it something like five times, I thought she would die after the second time (we have two kidneys) but I pushed it and did it whenever it popped up. I don't like the low paid ones, playing video games, sorting mail, etc but I will have my sim do that sometimes just for the money. The Ginseng and the Kona Beans pay about $1000 I think. I just go to the store to buy that stuff though (it always seems to be winter time and the plants are dormant) so the store works for me.

I send my sims for two semesters (which 2 weeks is a term, right?) then I have her go home and come back for two more terms to finish her degree. Are you saying you get yours all done and they graduate within the first two weeks?

Anyway, lots of good info and advice. Thank you sooo much :)
  • Options
    Karritz wrote: »
    There is such a lot of great UL info in this thread I can't wait to get back to my Caroline and Friends game to record the next few episodes of their experiences at University.

So true, I am not one to make post often, but this one...I am so glad I did. So much info from everyone, things I never knew or thought to do!

Have fun with Caroline and Friends <3
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Surreal wrote: »

Yep, she sure is a power player! My sims are lucky if they go back with $15000 if I don't spend it on the dorm. So happy I now know I was going about it the wrong way :D
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »

:D:D:D half of their organs :D:D:o
  • Options
    @starguru I never thought to go into Uni first and add everything, I know it doesn't charge rent regardless of what you add, because I leave everything there for the next sim I send. Wow, why didn't I think of this? LOL. The money my sim can bank doing it your way, geez, but I always seem to think the hard way :D

I did go and reinstall ITF and played the game a little (skilling my sim up a little so it doesn't cost anything for her first semester). I will now go and reinstall SN (I think that is where I get Bonehilda) and go to the store to get the Super Sleeper. Does the incense burner cause fires though? I do have WA installed, so might check that out.

I will try for the funds first, but hopefully I can get it done before the meet n greet pops up, because it ends anything she is doing just to go there. I usually have her introduce herself to the roommates and then its time to go to MnG, so hopefully she can get the funds before that pops up. If not, then she will not go to the MnG, I will make her apply for funds again!

The organ donor is the one I love getting. Crazy how it says you can use it something like five times, I thought she would die after the second time (we have two kidneys) but I pushed it and did it whenever it popped up. I don't like the low paid ones, playing video games, sorting mail, etc but I will have my sim do that sometimes just for the money. The Ginseng and the Kona Beans pay about $1000 I think. I just go to the store to buy that stuff though (it always seems to be winter time and the plants are dormant) so the store works for me.

I send my sims for two semesters (which 2 weeks is a term, right?) then I have her go home and come back for two more terms to finish her degree. Are you saying you get yours all done and they graduate within the first two weeks?

Anyway, lots of good info and advice. Thank you sooo much :)
    Yas. Why spend your own money on dorm improvements if you don’t have to? :lol: But all my Sims who become wealthy end up giving back to the town in some way, so my Uni exploits benefit many Sims in the end. :mrgreen:

I like to play new Sims for a couple weeks in their homeworld before enrolling them in Uni too. Not all of them achieve a full scholarship in that time period, but I always get at least a partial one.

Yup, SN is where you get Bonehilda. She cooks, cleans, repairs and will put out fires; having her vastly improves the Uni experience. And speaking of fires, no worries about that with the WA incense holders. You pay a small fee to light them once and then just let them burn indefinitely. Each one gives a different +10 moodlet plus other unique bonuses, so I usually place all three in their room (and anywhere else they’ll spend a lot of time).

I would think you should be able to finish applying for extra funds before the meet & greet if you go right away. Granted, I do use the Relativity mod, which makes a difference. With this last Sim, what I did upon arrival was: locked the door to my Sim’s room and woke up Bonehilda while greeting a few of my dormmates, took the space car and headed to the admin building and applied for extra funds, took a cooking skill class at the art building, and still had time to spare before getting pulled to the MnG. At the MnG I got a free kicky bag and also grabbed 10 free colas (so Haven could quickly fill her hunger bar in the early afternoons, M-F as needed), and greeted some of the other students. Then went off to get a few more skill classes completed before heading back to the dorm for a meal, toilet/shower and sleep. That’s a fairly typical Sunday arrival schedule for most of my Sims.

Organ donation is my favorite since it pays the best, but I do some of the others here and there too.

Yes, I enroll in Uni and graduate all within a single two week period. A week is one term and you can send them for one or two weeks/terms at a time. You can take 1-3 classes per term; each class is worth 6 credits. I enroll my Sims for two terms of three classes each (36 credits). This is after they take the aptitude test and have earned the +18 credit award (through skilling, having relevant traits or career levels) towards whichever degree I want them to get. So by the end of the two weeks they have earned 54 credits—more than enough to graduate (a degree requires 48 credits). I don’t return to Uni with them unless they go for another degree.

However, I suppose I could send a completely unskilled Sim to Uni immediately, take just one class per term, and minimize any bonus credits by not improving their skills and not having any relevant traits or career levels for any particular major. It would take a lot longer to earn a diploma that way. But attending for multiple terms would allow more days to apply for extra funds and many more day job opportunities... There would be tuition costs without scholarships, but those would be negligible considering the profits to be made. I think I need to try this, lol. Although my Sims will probably run out of organs! :joy::joy::joy:

I do hope you’ll continue writing out all those lovely checks to the alumni fund, @igazor. Future perpetual students are counting on your generosity! :tongue:
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited August 2019
    I have a similar approach to university. I tend to send my sim to university as soon as they get 18 credits towards the degree they aim for. Partial scholarship is nice, but doesn't really matter if you use a dorm. I send them to the administration building to apply for funds immediately from the road (I pick the bed and lock the doors remotely), which is already the same amount as a "full scholarship" right at the beginning and gets the 25 hour rolling application period going. I usually take a two term stay with two courses at first and finish with a third term with only one course. I found three courses per term too breathless.

If you have SN and a witch, you don't even need to care if the house gets drowned in dirty laundry, dirty dishes and with half the kitchen burned down, because you can just conjure your apples and subsist on those. Some of the starter alchemy potions also come in handy. The Vial of Bliss works with your conjured apples, and an Invigorating Elixir is just one Wolfsbane away. You have to bring the latter with you though. Bonehilda is more of a public service donation at that point and gets bonus points for scaring some of the students away.

You can return with 50k simoleons from university, if you keep paying attention and power learn at the beginning. Don't forget to prime the group science project for double skill gains, if the game lets you near it (it seems to push you away if you do not go for a science or technology major). It's funny as that.
  • Options
    cheeriosncocoacheeriosncocoa Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a questionnn: If my sim hired a butler before going to uni will he still be there after she gets home?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @cheeriosncocoa - Seems like he should be since nothing at all is supposed to happen in the homeworld while active gameplay is in Uni World. In fact, if you time things just right (and your YA sim lives with their parents), you can arrive back home in time to just catch them still waving goodbye to your sim. But of course there are never any guarantees with this game.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net