Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So are we ever going to get firefighters or burglars ?

Comments

• Options
    zokliozoklio Posts: 40 Member
    I honestly miss them. I am an occult player myself but the existence of them really made the game more realistic and I love it
  • Options
    KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    I miss random things like this in my sims games. It's so fun and unexpected. I want them to sneak in through the windows lol I would like more consequences like how we already have a consequence for not paying our bills on time. Not installing a security system, which raises the rent bill, will result in you getting regularly burgled or at least a higher chance. And for those who do not like that, make it so there is an option to turn it off. So everyone has a bit more control over their own game.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • Options
    IronicBeauty77IronicBeauty77 Posts: 28 Member
    If this comment doesn't get deleted I'd be surprised but it's obviously laziness coupled with the Chinese market. China has many restrictions on content that is allowed to be sold in the country and EA doesn't want to do any additional work for the less regulated open markets. Less work, charge the same, sell to more people. Win, win, win. For EA, that is.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    edited August 2019
    i asked sim guru grant if the issue was the money costs for animation and musical stings etc but he said it's difficult to program npcs in this game since npcs are full-sims in the manner that they like to do what they wanna do. for example in sims 4 the burglar might end up using your toilet and watch your tv before stealing.

but take that as a discussion as when the game was made back in development in 2012/2013/2014. while it may bug out once in a while, we do have that "do this and leave" programming now. like the sulani neighborhood firefighter, a resident of sulani will pop up on your lot when there is a fire, put it out, and then leave.

so if the money for outfits, animation, musical stings is not the issue and instead the programming? well, we have the programming down.

i REALLY would like to see all the three negative npcs burglars and repoman and child services back. firefighters and cops need to be a thing too. there's hardly any negative repercussions in this game and as someone who is new to the sims in 2017 and already gotten used to how this game works and its super easy to succeed, some more bad randomization would be nice.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    I would like to think so.

But after almost five years and Sim Guru Frost (I believe) reiterating the game is a “safe space for people to grow, learn, share with others” I have no hope whatsoever.

...so firefighters somehow go against that? It's not like we don't have fires in the game. lol. I miss burglars and firefighters too. The repo man, not as much. But, it would add some personality back into the game if he came after your power had been out for a certain amount of time. As it is, your Sim could just live that way forever.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    i asked sim guru grant if the issue was the money costs for animation and musical stings etc but he said it's difficult to program npcs in this game since npcs are full-sims in the manner that they like to do what they wanna do. for example in sims 4 the burglar might end up using your toilet and watch your tv before stealing.

I wonder if they could treat them like objects then rather than Sims? Mrs. Crumplebottom, Toddler New Year, Social Worker, etc. were all objects in Sims 2. So they just did what they were coded to do and left, you couldn't interact with them in any meaningful way. Like babies this time.
  • Options
    lisamwitt wrote: »

I wonder if they could treat them like objects then rather than Sims? Mrs. Crumplebottom, Toddler New Year, Social Worker, etc. were all objects in Sims 2. So they just did what they were coded to do and left, you couldn't interact with them in any meaningful way. Like babies this time.

they probably could, like the grim reaper isn't a sim you can find and add into your family without mods but i think they want to make it so the npc is an actual sim that you can interact with outside of the situation since that seems to be the sims 4 version of things
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I think they could do it, that you've got to select it through options, and it enables burglars, firefighters , social workers and repo man, best of both worlds right there lol and put them in via patch
  • Options
    ThunderNebThunderNeb Posts: 55 Member
    We still have police because it's a career. Burglars are replaced by anyone with the kleptomaniac trait. Too bad we can't call the police on them. Maybe firefighter should be an offshoot of the medical career since they do a lot of rescue response. Or maybe even a part time job as a volunteer firefighter. Sims should be able to call an emergency number in cases of a sim dying or a fire and even when a klepto steals your couch.
  • Options
    MadstarletMadstarlet Posts: 53 Member
    I am DYING for the return of these NPCs. They added SO much to the game. I've had my apartment robbed before, and while it was obviously not a fun real-life experience, for a game it adds so many storytelling opportunities and drama! BRING THEM BACK! Please.
    Follow the creation of the new Sims 4 Web Series Wayward Plumbobs by becoming a patron: patreon.com/waywardplumbobs.com
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited August 2019
    I would dearly like burglars and firefighters back too. They added an element of danger and randomness— and the burglars especially made learning to fight and training attack dogs really worthwhile. It would be nice to have them both as NPCs (with appropriate alarm systems) and as playable careers. I would very much enjoy having my criminal sim break into my richest sims’ big safes and steal a bunch of money and/ or art from their houses. I also don’t see why burglars should be any more frightening than ghosts or vampires. Maybe to make the game customizable, EA could include the ability to turn the NPCs off (as was suggested earlier). We definitely need more danger in the game, though. I would also like to have the Cowardly and Brave traits back. The way the coward sims were always fainting when anything bad happened used to make me laugh.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Sacrificial is working on a Burglar Mod as I speak.
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    Why add in burglars, we already have them in Island Living, people just come in and steal everything, food, beds, books, You can't lock them out, I tried to no avail. Living in Island Living is like living in Alcatraz, you are on an island, helpless against intrusion from criminals and no way of warding them off as there are no locks, oh, but I digress, why add in burglars, we already have them.

umm, you must be new.
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Sacrificial is working on a Burglar Mod as I speak.

Oh great, another modder doing the job of the developers. Lovely.

Half sarcasm aside, that's great. But it really only reinforces the fact that it's not the devs that care about this game, it's the players.
  • Options
    HeyItsKoffeeHeyItsKoffee Posts: 99 Member
    I have to say i've recently bought my Sims 2 back to life due to missing the NPCs, i did love the sims 3 as well but the lag even on great computers is a slight annoyance.
    Youtube @ ItsKoffeeh

Legacy Challenge
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    they probably could, like the grim reaper isn't a sim you can find and add into your family without mods but i think they want to make it so the npc is an actual sim that you can interact with outside of the situation since that seems to be the sims 4 version of things

That's a good point in showing that they could implement them this way! I understand why they/some players would want them to be playable Sims. But if they would just give them back I'd take more Grim Reaper like Sims. They do their job, you can interact with them a little, they go on their way. I have plenty of Sims around town to make friends with.
    And I have to say, Father Winter being a regular Sim walking around town was disappointing to me. Took away some of the magic somehow. I miss Santa from Sims 2.
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    it's Theo Jabalde's working on the burglar mod.
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    All of those NPCs were great. Here's a good list of them...

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Non-playable_character
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I miss my sims getting their toilet stolen by the burglars!
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Take this with a grain of salt, but if I recall correctly, the gurus said they won't add in burglars due to how disturbing they may be to some players. Some folks have said that the burglar in TS2 scared them quite severely. Sheesh, one person here reported having a deep fear of the Grim Reaper in the game.

Again, I think that's what they said in regards to burglars, a bit before the time Cats and Dogs was announced. Which, if that is true, opens up to MANY arguments against that decision.

EDIT: Back in 2017, a rumor was going around that EA stated they don't want to add in burglars because they don't want to cause anxiety attacks amongst players... when we already have vampire invasions, which is worse than a burglar stealing your items... and they could just add in an option to turn off the spawn of burglars... so I don't know if the developers agree with this reasoning (although based on past comments from them, I wouldn't be surprised), but that might be the reason.

The gurus never said that. The only reason we don't have burglars/firefighters, etc. is because other things were created first. There's no conspiracy; they simply haven't been created (yet.) That's not a guarantee we'll get them, though. I believe we will.

There are quotes from Grant floating around where he debunks this rumor. I would go hunting for them, but nah. B)
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

but take that as a discussion as when the game was made back in development in 2012/2013/2014. while it may bug out once in a while, we do have that "do this and leave" programming now. like the sulani neighborhood firefighter, a resident of sulani will pop up on your lot when there is a fire, put it out, and then leave.

so if the money for outfits, animation, musical stings is not the issue and instead the programming? well, we have the programming down.

i REALLY would like to see all the three negative npcs burglars and repoman and child services back. firefighters and cops need to be a thing too. there's hardly any negative repercussions in this game and as someone who is new to the sims in 2017 and already gotten used to how this game works and its super easy to succeed, some more bad randomization would be nice.

I... would actually love the possibility of this happening. A little randomness thrown in so all burglaries are not the same. Imagine your sim coming home to find an intruder using the toilet. Lol
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member

This looks neat, but this appears to be a user who has also started a number of mods before and then stopped working on them (height cheat, world alteration/editing, multiplayer mod). Great ideas, but if they're never published a bit of a moot point.

I'll keep an eye out in case Sacrificial is in fact working on a burglary mod. I would really like burglars back in the game, as well as firefighters and NPC police. It would be amazing if your sim could get arrested and taken to a prison cell temporarily, since a large part of the functionality exists in the GTW pack. A big missed opportunity...
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    bizuktag wrote: »

This looks neat, but this appears to be a user who has also started a number of mods before and then stopped working on them (height cheat, world alteration/editing, multiplayer mod). Great ideas, but if they're never published a bit of a moot point.

man this is why i hate using gameplay mods. everyone is like "oh, just download a mod for that if you want it" but one thing goes wrong and the whole thing breaks and if the mod creator isn't inspired anymore it gets abandoned just like the werewolf mod.

at least with gameplay in the actual game people are paid to fix it and bugs are usually minor or get resolved eventually without being completely abandoned.
  • Options
    MaWhilMaWhil Posts: 29 Member
    I miss having burglars and firefighters, repo man, etc. It added some excitement to the game as you are never expecting them to appear. It would be nice to have these elements added into the sims 4.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited August 2019
    At least in Sims 2, with the right preparations, police could actually catch and imprison the burglars and sometimes could fight them/beat them up! This is not applicable in Real Life these days unfortunately. (in the UK anyway).

I would love to have them back if I could have my revenge on them in some way, maybe our pets could be trained to guard us and catch them? Police career with Alsation, Doberman? So many missed opportunities alas. :'(