Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Man caves, She Sheds

Because we all need time away from the crazy houses we live in. I'm going on a building spree. Please share your private hideaway away from the children, wife, and open door rotation of visitors.

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    "She sheds"? Wut? :D
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    edited August 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Yes, it is a building that isn't connected to the house where females would go to get away much like your man cave.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited August 2019
    kaylin205 wrote: »

Yes, it is a building that isn't connected to the house where females would go to get away much like your man cave.

That’s the first time I’ve heard of that term. :D

I get that a man caves usually has all the stuff the wife doesn’t want out in the main rooms of a home (tools, video games, beer fridges, sports memorabilia, etc) but now I need to know what goes into a “she shed”!

Now it occurs to me that most rooms in our home are “she sheds”. :D
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    So_Money wrote: »

I get that a man caves usually has all the stuff the wife doesn’t want out in the main rooms of a home (tools, video games, beer fridges, football tables, etc) but now I need to know what goes into a she shed!

Must be a country thing? I live in the middle of nowhere. 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I've never heard of she sheds either but...

If I made a she shed it would be pink with lots of fluffiness and sparkles, a comfy sofa and dolls everywhere :D

It really is about time they added baby dolls to the sims.
  • Options
    wendyologywendyology Posts: 395 Member
    I'm in an apartment so no escaping to a detached structure. My home office fits the criteria otherwise. That's where I have most of my concert posters, etc. I'm more of the blackest black and glitteriest glitter type of woman.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited August 2019
    LOL. I thought you meant shed like fur shedding. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member

I get that a man caves usually has all the stuff the wife doesn’t want out in the main rooms of a home (tools, video games, beer fridges, football tables, etc) but now I need to know what goes into a she shed!

Must be a country thing? I live in the middle of nowhere. 🤷‍♀️

Nope. Definitely not a country thing. I live in the DC/MD metropolitan area and I've heard of she sheds. <3 Would definitely like one of my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffs4gSJjjV4
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @Sigzy05
    They're a variation on the concept of a summer house, about the size of a garden shed, but used for arts, crafts, or other hobbies, such as reading, writing, or just getting away from the family.
    Essentially a similar concept to a man cave, but more feminine.

f759b1c76df47150c19246c1ebe688cd.jpg
    6b490a6efe17ddc053dda220c689fcc8.jpg
    2957ff5758a5f57a3b51f32526fa0e4c.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    LOL. I thought you meant shed like fur shedding. XD

This, and I also read it as man caves, as in man gives up. And I was really confused and then realized what OP meant. 😅😅
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I mean, if you have to get away from the house, why not leave the property and go out into town. Why would you wanna go out in your backyard and sit in a hot shed as an “escape”? It’s the strangest thing I’ve heard all day lol
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    @Sigzy05
    They're a variation on the concept of a summer house, about the size of a garden shed, but used for arts, crafts, or other hobbies, such as reading, writing, or just getting away from the family.

Wait, that’s it?? So many of them just have couches. What in the world do you do in there? Just sit on the couch and think about how happy you are that you’re not inside the house with the rest of your family? Lol
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    I hadn't really done this much in my game, but I'm thinking I may need to start building she sheds and man caves for some of my sims.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited August 2019
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    @Sigzy05

Wait, that’s it?? So many of them just have couches. What in the world do you do in there? Just sit on the couch and think about how happy you are that you’re not inside the house with the rest of your family? Lol

Yeah, I don’t quite get it. I mean, if there’s art supplies and an easel, just call it an art studio. Other than that there isn’t anything in those spaces that couldn’t be part of the common area of the home.

There’s a good reason why man caves exist - nobody wants any of that junk out on display in a family home. :D And nobody wants four dudes sprawled out in the living room, drinking beer and watching sports (or playing video games).
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Holy Guacamole now I finally get that commercial. I was always puzzled when it came on. Learn sumptin new every day. I just thought the she shed was the whole house and the man cave was the little portion allowed to that other one..
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    @Sigzy05

I would assume that some women use them as a place to drink tea (or something stronger) and read books or magazines, away from their family.
    I imagine them to be a very good idea for mothers with either all sons, or lots of teenagers.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Wouldn't be politically correct enough for TS4 anymore, sadly.
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    I don't necessarily understand why the women's would have to be in a shed (that doesn't sound like the most comfortable place if you ask me), but I like the idea of having a little personal space to retreat to. Growing up both my parents had their own little home office (really a music studio for my dad and an art and crafts room for my mom) that they could decorate according to their personal taste and in which they could work or spend some time alone. If I had enough room I myself would love to have my personal room in which I could play video games and do all the stuff I like to do alone. When you are in a relationship every space in "shared space" really so I imagine it would be nice to have special rooms.
    In the sims I often make rooms that are intended to specific sims according to their personalities (art studio, home office, home bar...). It doesn't mean the other sims of the household are not allowed in but they are clearly meant to reflect the personality of a specific sim and to allow them to do their thing in their own space.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    loutredor wrote: »
    I don't necessarily understand why the women's would have to be in a shed (that doesn't sound like the most comfortable place if you ask me), but I like the idea of having a little personal space to retreat to. Growing up both my parents had their own little home office (really a music studio for my dad and an art and crafts room for my mom) that they could decorate according to their personal taste and in which they could work or spend some time alone. If I had enough room I myself would love to have my personal room in which I could play video games and do all the stuff I like to do alone. When you are in a relationship every space in "shared space" really so I imagine it would be nice to have special rooms.
    In the sims I often make rooms that are intended to specific sims according to their personalities (art studio, home office, home bar...). It doesn't mean the other sims of the household are not allowed in but they are clearly meant to reflect the personality of a specific sim and to allow them to do their thing in their own space.

It's called a She-Shed because it sounds good, it doesn't necessarily have to be in a shed.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    My next door neighbor turned their detached garage into a she shed. It's lovely. We both belong to the same book club and when it's her time to host she holds it there. There's a TV, mini fridge, microwave.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I thought women just had craft rooms. I've never heard of she sheds. :D
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited August 2019

I get that a man caves usually has all the stuff the wife doesn’t want out in the main rooms of a home (tools, video games, beer fridges, sports memorabilia, etc) but now I need to know what goes into a “she shed”!

Now it occurs to me that most rooms in our home are “she sheds”. :D

You don't watch much television in RL, do you. They have Insurance commercials that mention the She Shed. That's where I first heard the term. Personally, although I really need time to myself a lot, I don't have such a shed. I do have a loft office in this house, however, that I consider my domain. Kids are all grown and in their own places. I no longer babysit my grandson, as his mother moved to another state. Hubby works M-F and leaves at 7AM, so I get the whole day to myself. Yay! Just the dogs, my Sims and me. I am one happy Empty-Nestor. :) (Oh, and just in case you're unfamiliar with that term, too, it refers to living without your children in the home. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    Heard of both, they're both valid with or without gendered names. I've always disliked both terms, honestly.

ANYWAY I think this is a cute idea, especially since you can lock the door so only one specific Sim can go inside. Whether it's a craft room or somewhere for your Loner Sim to go away from their families. I've been wanting to add pool houses to my backyards, and this is also a fun option to explore as well.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I don't think I've ever really made either. I mean, I'm not a builder so I don't tend to do much of that anyway, and I only first heard of she sheds from a commercial early this year, but now that you've mentioned it I might consider making them. I usually just give my female sims a garden, but after a she shed would be nice to have.

None of my male sims have really struck me as the type of guys to have a man cave, but I've been really thinking a lot about designing basements lately so I might try one of those in the future.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I've made gaming rooms, studies/libraries, greenhouses, and art studios, but not "man caves" or "she sheds"

Of course, the real life gaming room in our house is half console/PC/Projector tv ("his" half) and half shelves upon shelves of TTRPG books ("her" half) - with a bit of dojo in there for our (now adult) kid to practice taekwondo. And the sewing room used to be a dining room... Yeah, our hobbies and our normal life just kinda all blend together...