Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Invisible Foundation type

KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
I was watching a simmer building a house on youtube and i realized that would be very useful/aesthetic pleasing if we had the option to have invisible foundations. Not like when we don't add them, but with the room floating in the air. I think we would be able to make some cool looking things with that!

Comments

• Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    I haven't messed around with build mode for ages, but iirc we have been able to do that from day 1 of TS4. You plop down a room for floor 1, build floor 2 on top, and then move down and remove floor 1. Voila! Floating house (usually with stairs attached, heh!). I remember seeing some on the gallery.

Try it yourself! :smiley: Show us what you make? :smile:

(Alternatively, watch me :confounded::grimace::dizzy::hushed: - blush, actually, but none of the emoticons look right - if I remembered incorrectly.) :wink:
  • Options
    Tiarella wrote: »
    I haven't messed around with build mode for ages, but iirc we have been able to do that from day 1 of TS4. You plop down a room for floor 1, build floor 2 on top, and then move down and remove floor 1. Voila! Floating house (usually with stairs attached, heh!). I remember seeing some on the gallery.

Try it yourself! :smiley: Show us what you make? :smile:

(Alternatively, watch me :confounded::grimace::dizzy::hushed: - blush, actually, but none of the emoticons look right - if I remembered incorrectly.) :wink:

@Tiarella the floating room thing is too high on the ground for me. The foundation can be made smaller than rooms usually can.
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    Ahh, gotcha! Yeah, the 2nd-story floaters are a little tall for me, too. Does messing with the terrain level help any? Wondering if you can trick the eye, as it were, by putting hills around a floating house.

It'd be great if they take up your idea!
  • Options
    Tiarella wrote: »
    Ahh, gotcha! Yeah, the 2nd-story floaters are a little tall for me, too. Does messing with the terrain level help any? Wondering if you can trick the eye, as it were, by putting hills around a floating house.

It'd be great if they take up your idea!

yes, maybe we can trick the terrain to give an illusion, but sometimes you don't want to use the terrain, or, in my case, you can't. I had this exact idea seeing a beach lot from Sulani. We can't edit terrain on them.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited July 2019
    Karon wrote: »
    I was watching a simmer building a house on youtube and i realized that would be very useful/aesthetic pleasing if we had the option to have invisible foundations. Not like when we don't add them, but with the room floating in the air. I think we would be able to make some cool looking things with that!

We can do this now. Make a room at ground level. Make a room on top of that. Delete the room at ground level. Raise or lower the remaining room (central "foundation" widget) to the required height.

It means you have one less floor to work with when building upwards, but it works as a floating foundation.

I used this method for this caravan and for the bridge on this house.
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Karon wrote: »

We can do this now. Make a room at ground level. Make a room on top of that. Delete the room at ground level. Raise or lower the remaining room (central "foundation" widget) to the required height.

It means you have one less floor to work with when building upwards, but it works as a floating foundation.

I used this method for this caravan and for the bridge on this house.

it would be bettr if we don't have to sacrifice one entire floor to be able to do that :/ but thanks for the tip, i'll be usign that for now. @EmmaVane