Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off The Grid Living

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    GUYS!!

WOOHOOO the sims can pee in the ocean!! NO stinky bushes!!!

That's great...for the Sims that live in Sulani. owo

my male sim is shy aparently. his wife peed in the ocean. he went back back to shore and wet himself.

Haha, can't stop laughing! :lol:
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    It seems like they might have implemented this rather late or it wasn't a focus when they were testing. I expect some of the issues will be fixed, like the inability to change the water in the laundry tubs.

I can see why they would have disabled the trait for rental lots - you'd also have to check all the furnishings to make sure they worked off the grid. (You know they'd be getting a zillion 'bug reports' from people who changed the lot type, took their Sims to GF, and then were unable to bathe or cook.) Hopefully, they'll change that - maybe add a warning message that some items in the house are incompatible with the lot type.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    SimSimmaaSimSimmaa Posts: 2 New Member
    Just to add to this topic on the laundry side of things,
    using the laundry wash tub has been a little bit disappointing for me.
    So obviously the water in the tub will become dirty over time and will need to be replaced. There is no work around for this whilst off the grid - apart from selling and re buying a new one. The reason I find it a little disappointing is because the water could be replaced still whilst living off grid? sim isn't using electricity or running water, could simply find water from another source using a bucket to refill the tub. Idk just a little disappointing that there is no real way for off grid living laundry ;-;
  • Options
    SimSimmaaSimSimmaa Posts: 2 New Member
    ^ but yet you can have a source of water for gardening to water the plants. Just doesnt make a bunch of sense unless im doing something wrong haha
  • Options
    I hope they will add a water system, like a well/bucket whatever. In the meantime, would it be totally off to wash clothes on a community lot near by? It could even be a corner of the marketplace or behind the local pub/waterhole. Unless all lots are OTG of course...
  • Options
    ahoychristieahoychristie Posts: 88 Member
    Seriously, what they need to do is make that well work? Not the one that you can do stuff with - it's just one for decoration I think. I put it outside on my lot anyway, so at least it looks like it makes more sense :D They should add interactions so you can pull water up though but it takes ages or runs out so you just have to ration it. It'd be cool if you could filter it too because I like the idea of playing a post-apocalyptic OTG bunker in a strangerville story too. It opens sooo many story opportunities.

They need an off-the-grid toilet too, even though some of the old toilets work. They still look too fancy and not enough like a dodgy hole in the floor haha. Really loving how things from previous packs make this lifestyle work though. The DIY shower/tub is my faaaave. I've noticed a few of the lights don't work when they should though? Some of the candles and the oil lamp doesn't work? :|
  • Options
    secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    I’ve put my gardener/herbalist in an off the grid lot. Issues:

My toilet got dirty and I couldn’t clean it off the grid as no water. Thankfully I could upgrade it to self cleaning?

The stove can run on gas but I need a fridge to cook anything with it. The fridge may work off the grid but I don’t see how. The icebox from OR just allows things like cereal.

I can grill lots of things without needing a fridge or actually any of them in my inventory! Where do tofu hotdogs come from anyway?

I always get a negative moodlet from showering or washing up.

I would love to be able to do more with my home grown vegetables than eat them raw!

I got bills in the post and my electricity and water were cut off for non payment. I paid (it could have been before I set the lot trait) and I got sent another bill later!
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member

My toilet got dirty and I couldn’t clean it off the grid as no water. Thankfully I could upgrade it to self cleaning?

The stove can run on gas but I need a fridge to cook anything with it. The fridge may work off the grid but I don’t see how. The icebox from OR just allows things like cereal.

I can grill lots of things without needing a fridge or actually any of them in my inventory! Where do tofu hotdogs come from anyway?

I would love to be able to do more with my home grown vegetables than eat them raw!

I got bills in the post and my electricity and water were cut off for non payment. I paid (it could have been before I set the lot trait) and I got sent another bill later!

The trait was described as reducing bills, not eliminating them.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Hm, in the buy catalog I can't see any way to tell whether an object is good for OTG or not. Should there be an icon, or a filter? I don't ave IL yet...

Look at the item description. If it will work OTG, you'll see 'Functional While Off-the-Grid' at the bottom (under Fun, Reliability, etc.) Most items do not work by default, so the message will appear on very few items. Look for the cheapest stove, sink, etc.

Just a quick note, unfortunately the item tagging is not correct and there are items that work Off-the-Grid that are NOT listed as functional with that trait in the build catalog. For example, none of the fridges are tagged with it. The toddler wabbit tablet works, the slablet works. The big one of course is fridges, none are listed as working.
  • Options
    FTheGreatFTheGreat Posts: 1 New Member
    i need to bathe my toddler! how can i do that off grid?
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

The trait was described as reducing bills, not eliminating them.

Since when? The trait is supposed to stop bills completely.

@secretlondon123 What I've noticed is that if I'm not on the home lot when bills arrive, (Monday, I think?) I'll still get bills. No bills if I'm at home. Seems like a bug or oversight.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    What's funny is the showers don't work but toilets do! Also I'd like the oil lamp (the one that kinda looks like a 1800s lamp) to work off the grip.
    Other than that it's fun :)
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    @Dianesims if you read the description, it's not a real oil lamp, it's just for the aesthetic. Still uses electricity.
  • Options
    RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    @Dianesims if you read the description, it's not a real oil lamp, it's just for the aesthetic. Still uses electricity.

Batteries to be precise. Which would make it possible for off the grid, if you ask me.
  • Options
    RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member

The stove is silly cannot anymore then two items no matter how high your cooking is. That and salad. The grill is the only thing you can make more on.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Rudiarose wrote: »
    The stove is silly cannot anymore then two items no matter how high your cooking is. That and salad. The grill is the only thing you can make more on.

It's utterly ridiculous! Everything you can cook on or in an electric stove/oven you can more or less do on gas stoves and cast iron stoves that uses wood.

I mentioned this on another discussion about off the grid but might as well mention it here aswell:

I really like the idea of the trait, and would love to have some of my sims live on a lot with it. I actually have one in Brindleton Bay and another in Windenburg that technically are! But I don't feel like playing them until it gets sorted out. The top things being these:
    • There are items that should be marked as off-the-grid, yet they're not. Like the wash tub and some candle lights.
    • Being able to clean things. If I can flush the toilet and shower, even though they are water saving, then I sure can clean them. There are even ways to clean without water.
    • Useage of baths. Again, if I can take a water saving shower then I can fill a bathtub with a little water to clean a toddler or a dog.
    • Stoves and the cooking/baking. I may not be that familiar with gas stoves but I am quite so with cast iron stoves that uses wood (Which one of the stoves is, not gas), and they can be used almost the same way as my modern one. That includes baking! It's just different and harder if you're not used to it.
    • A search filter for the items would be nice.
    • Newspaper/catalog of some sort so sims can look for work and order upgrade parts etc.

I'm sure there is more, but those are the ones I could think of right now.
    It would be great with some item additions to the trait aswell. Such as rainwater collectors, solarpanels, outhouses, more lights like oil lamps, iceboxes, windmills etc.
  • Options
    refinnej0220refinnej0220 Posts: 4 New Member
    I’m going to try a glass roof and lots of windows for the day time.
  • Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    I agree with @RIP-Troika-Games we need off the grid baths. When you live off the grid you don't have showers 1. Because you need some sort of pump to get enough water pressure for a shower and 2. A shower is single person single use whereas with a bath you fill with 2 inches of water then you can wash your entire family, your clothes and your pet and then use the water outside. With the one fill of the tub.
    I lived off the grid for years as a child and was shocked that showers were the off the grid bathing item.
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't know if anyone already suggested this and I'm not going to search through 9 pages of posts, but you can plant a garden and live off fruits and veggies and won't even need a fridge or a stove. Although, I'd at least buy a camping cooler for drinks and other quick foods to eat. Probably a camp fire as well.
  • Options
    Arzekial wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone already suggested this and I'm not going to search through 9 pages of posts, but you can plant a garden and live off fruits and veggies and won't even need a fridge or a stove. Although, I'd at least buy a camping cooler for drinks and other quick foods to eat. Probably a camp fire as well.
    @Arzekial I did that on a sim in my teen runaway challenge and that was before off the grid. So I don't see any reason to why it shouldn't work on off the grid :)
    Though, I must say it feels a bit tiresome sometimes telling your sim to munch down a bunch of fruits and veggies, over telling them to eat one single meal.
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    @Arzekial I did that on a sim in my teen runaway challenge and that was before off the grid. So I don't see any reason to why it shouldn't work on off the grid :)
    Though, I must say it feels a bit tiresome sometimes telling your sim to munch down a bunch of fruits and veggies, over telling them to eat one single meal.

Yeah, it can get a little annoying. However, if you carry around several different types you can select different fruits/veggies and it will queue them up to eat and won't seem as annoying. Like : eat - apple, grape, plantain, carrot.

Not only that, it never spoils and you always have food on you. So, if you're ever at a ruins party and get hungry, but the bartender decided to take the night off, you can still eat!
  • Options

Yeah, it can get a little annoying. However, if you carry around several different types you can select different fruits/veggies and it will queue them up to eat and won't seem as annoying. Like : eat - apple, grape, plantain, carrot.

Not only that, it never spoils and you always have food on you. So, if you're ever at a ruins party and get hungry, but the bartender decided to take the night off, you can still eat!

I rather have a tasty apple over a drink anyway!
  • Options
    In my game I have a cc canning station (probably MTS). It would make the off-the-grid sim busy with food related activities. Canned stuff can be eaten, but I don't know for sure if that specific cc stove requires electricity. If so, you could always make a canning corner on a community lot, and go there like a daily chore to fix your meals. Those canned jars can also be sold, either from inventory or at the market table.
  • Options
    gemchiaragemchiara Posts: 97 Member
    I've built an entire house to be livable off the grid and it works really well (gallery name: Conservationist Hideaway). As long as you're not putting leftovers away, the fridge will not have food rot so you can use it to get ingredients out of it and cook them. Fresh ingredients that are grown in the garden will not rot in an off the grid fridge but fish will.