Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's talk about this re-brand thing.

Comments

• Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    The stuff and game pack icons have always been one color...have you had trouble distinguishing from them? I like the way the re-branding looks personally (except the plumbob), and I think fans are just yet again making a mountain out of a molehill. How much time is really spent on the main menu?
    Game packs had a blue label and stuff packs green, they are not the same.

Yeah, that's not what I said. I said the game pack and stuff pack icons have always all been ONE COLOR. The expansion packs were the only ones with different colors for each. I was asking OP if they had trouble distinguishing those, because if not when why the big deal about the expansions now all being one color.
    Did you not read OPs first paragraph as to why it’s not good:
    “Prior to this re-branding, each expansion had its own feel and look to it. We could easily tell which expansions gave us which objects in buy/build mode just by seeing the icon color. That won't be the case anymore. Now I will have to use a magnifying glass while playing just to see which EP it is since it won't be distinctive by color.“
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    edited July 2019
    I personally think the problem lies in the EP and GP blues being too close in color, at first glance, it looked like the Expansion packs color was the same color as the Game packs icons.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The stuff and game pack icons have always been one color...have you had trouble distinguishing from them? I like the way the re-branding looks personally (except the plumbob), and I think fans are just yet again making a mountain out of a molehill. How much time is really spent on the main menu?
    Game packs had a blue label and stuff packs green, they are not the same.

Yeah, that's not what I said. I said the game pack and stuff pack icons have always all been ONE COLOR. The expansion packs were the only ones with different colors for each. I was asking OP if they had trouble distinguishing those, because if not when why the big deal about the expansions now all being one color.
    Did you not read OPs first paragraph as to why it’s not good:
    “Prior to this re-branding, each expansion had its own feel and look to it. We could easily tell which expansions gave us which objects in buy/build mode just by seeing the icon color. That won't be the case anymore. Now I will have to use a magnifying glass while playing just to see which EP it is since it won't be distinctive by color.“

Yeah, this is the thing. What color it has on the front page? Who gives a... ? But when I look for Island Living or Get Famous building stuff? I am looking for a warm yellow or a dark reddish-purple dot. Now I will have to put on my reading glasses and try to determine if that's a palm tree or not.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    Nobody seems to understand what I'm saying...how were you able to tell what is what between Bowling Night and Romantic Garden? Why is having a different color for every expansion necessary? Were you always able to tell what came with what stuff/game packs, but expansions are different somehow? Isn't the filter still going to be there, so again another non-issue.
    1500x500.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Nobody seems to understand what I'm saying...how were you able to tell what is what between Bowling Night and Romantic Garden? Why is having a different color for every expansion necessary? Were you always able to tell what came with what stuff/game packs, but expansions are different somehow? Isn't the filter still going to be there, so again another non-issue.

It's called memory. You should try it. Plus the icons are different.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    In BB mode the object had a tiny icon at the corner telling which pack it’s from. And depending on which the badge matched that pack color. Now they’re all going to be the same color across EP, GP and SP.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I'd talk about it, but I like it and therefore my voice is drowned out and I'm considered to be a sheep who buys and believes everything EA tells me. :/
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The icons for EPs all being the same color (a color which is super close to the GP color) is so annoying and probably my least favorite thing about this hideous rebrand. OP, is right. This will probably end up being very annoying for people with colorblindness. I guess it's good that we have pack specific filters because other wise it would be a complete nightmare to find anything now.
  • Options
    LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    Now 50% of that space is used to remind us what EPs, GPs, and SPs we are missing.

100% intentional I'd say.

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited July 2019
    The icons for EPs all being the same color (a color which is super close to the GP color) is so annoying and probably my least favorite thing about this hideous rebrand. OP, is right. This will probably end up being very annoying for people with colorblindness. I guess it's good that we have pack specific filters because other wise it would be a complete nightmare to find anything now.

People with colorblindness already couldn't use pack colour for distinguishing (and none of us could use pack colour to distinguish between different GPs or SPs, only EPs). They can still use the image design, as before, and the filtering system, as before. I do think there are legit concerns with the loading screen, based on what some people have said. Personally, I prefer *any* blue to white for not triggering/worsening my migraines -- the contrast between the game's blueness and the white loading screen is migraine-triggering, like suddenly walking into bright sunshine, which this blue won't do (the change to make it not solid white helped somewhat but not completely) -- but would prefer it more for that if it were broken up/textured, not solidly one colour.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

People with colorblindness already couldn't use pack colour for distinguishing (and none of us could use pack colour to distinguish between different GPs or SPs, only EPs). They can still use the image design, as before, and the filtering system, as before. I do think there are legit concerns with the loading screen, based on what some people have said. Personally, I prefer *any* blue to white for not triggering/worsening my migraines -- the contrast between the game's blueness and the white loading screen is migraine-triggering, like suddenly walking into bright sunshine (the change to make it not solid white helped somewhat but not completely) -- but would prefer it more for that if it were broken up/textured, not solidly one colour.

Why, btw, does the "Filter for pack" on build items "stick", but get reset on CAS items immediately?
  • Options
    MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    Today I learned that people must spend more than a few moments o the home screen and are super emotionally Invested in what colour the packs icons are.... seems strange to me but ok. 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I think you make a really insightful point that, while the redesign probably won't affect most players, the new look it definitely more challenging for anyone visually impaired or with reading disabilities. They could have chosen a new look that was MORE accessible in that way, but they didn't.

Personally, I don't care overmuch, but the the new colors for the icons will make it harder for me to distinguish between packs, and like you mentioned, the expansion and game pack colors are virtually identical. Like, why even have different colors at that point, just make everything the same shade of blue and be done with it. My glasses prescription is a bit behind, and let me tell you, I'm already having trouble reading those new icons without squinting.
  • Options
    munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I'd talk about it, but I like it and therefore my voice is drowned out and I'm considered to be a sheep who buys and believes everything EA tells me. :/

I'll be a sheep with you. I love it too! To be fair, the fact you and i both love occults also makes us the black sheep of this forum, seeing how many HATE anything occult. At least we like the update, so no need for us to be upset about it, which is nice.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Given the fact that probably 3, 4 more EPs are coming, what future colours would you have chosen? Turquoise perhaps, but then? Brown??

They finished the gay pride rainbow colors. That was the target.
  • Options
    summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

It's called memory. You should try it. Plus the icons are different.

It's called being sarcastic. You completely are missing my point. Maybe you should try actually reading. How is this so hard to understand, and why is nobody still answering my questions? WHY do you need to have a different color for every expansion BUT NOT FOR game and stuff packs? OP was complaining about expansions being a different color as if they themselves couldn't memorize the stupid icons either.
    1500x500.jpg
  • Options
    kinot9229kinot9229 Posts: 528 Member
    You forgot the cover artwork of the base game.
    I hate it most.
    Here are the reasons why I hate it.
    1. Sims looks too similar. They lack characters. They are all young adult and have the same figure.
    2. Lesbian couple are being lampooned .
    That purple hair girl looks evil and dressed like a gold digger. Another girl just looks stupid.
    3. I don’t know why they put a sim in cook uniform in the middle. There are so many jobs in the base game and they just choose this one?
    4. The Sims 4 title is entirely white. That makes no sense. Are they trying to use The Sims 4 to represent the whole sims franchise? 4 should be colored different with The Sims title in my opinion.
  • Options
    Speaking of color choices:
    The Dark Teal and the Blue between expansion packs and game packs remind me of the Dilbert strip where Wally changes "Red, Green, Yellow" for alarm colors in the office to "Eggshell, off-white and cream".
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    kinot9229 wrote: »

How do you mean? I don't get that sense, at all.

Considering that the ability to even have same-sex couples was unprecedented when The Sims launched, and the franchise went on to become an enormous commercial success defying (persistent) conventional wisdom which says "you can't put that in a game or it won't sell", I'd say what they are actually doing is putting their longstanding, ongoing support - which has not been static, but consistently improved over the life of the franchise - front and center on the cover of the game.

How is that "being lampooned"?

Could we stand more age diversity and body diversity? Sure.

Is it a crime against art? No.
  • Options
    kinot9229 wrote: »
    You forgot the cover artwork of the base game.
    I hate it most.
    Here are the reasons why I hate it.
    1. Sims looks too similar. They lack characters. They are all young adult and have the same figure.
    That purple hair girl looks evil and dressed like a gold digger. Another girl just looks stupid.
    3. I don’t know why they put a sim in cook uniform in the middle. There are so many jobs in the base game and they just choose this one?
    4. The Sims 4 title is entirely white. That makes no sense. Are they trying to use The Sims 4 to represent the whole sims franchise? 4 should be colored different with The Sims title in my opinion.

2. This... just doesn't make sense. Explain, please?
    2.5? Purple hair... that you think she looks like a gold digger says more about you than her or the cover. Seems you have issues with women dressing how they want to.
  • Options
    kinot9229kinot9229 Posts: 528 Member
    @Sindocat @Beardedgeek

I promise I support women rights and I believe a woman can wear what she wants.
    It’s just the facial expression they showed on the cover gives me that feeling.
    It looks like she is scheming some evil plans.

And the other girl’s pupil could be enlarged to avoid a stupid look.

Maybe I just thought too much. My bad.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,460 Member
    I'm not happy with the changes.

The position of the icons in the start up screen is an improvement but that is about the only positive change.

The old icons look better than the new ones. I can see why they want to settle on one colour for all EP's but if you only have 3 colours for the different pack types they should be clearly distinguishable. The full colour background in the old style made them easy to recognise.

The new start up screen looks too flashy and aggressive to appeal to me. I hope I won't get a headache from the very frequent loading screen after the update. but this complaint is personal preference, I suppose.

As for the box art, with digital copies it is completely irrelevant to me.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,753 Member
    edited July 2019
    The only thing I can say about the plumbob is the new one appears too busy in design. Now, I have no idea what it will look like when/if it spins. I have dreadful eyesight, and since I suffered that ruptured brain aneurysm, I take seizure medication twice a day. But, as another player posted, I don't see this change/re-branding getting in my way of enjoying the game. Anytime I go into build/buy mode, it is nice to see the tiny icon indicating which pack the item is from. But, that's usually a symbol. I'm not looking at the color, per se.

I missed the presentation yesterday, and watched the edited version today. I must thank you for posting these images. They didn't talk about that in the part I saw. Blue being my all-time favorite color, I really can't complain too much.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    Given the fact that probably 3, 4 more EPs are coming, what future colours would you have chosen? Turquoise perhaps, but then? Brown??

Brown, pink, cyan...

Plus they can use different shades of the same color.
    keep on keepin' on
  • Options
    The only thing I can say about the plumbob is the new one appears too busy in design

Yeah that's weird. I didn't think of it until you said it but it is both more stylized and more complicated than the old one. Which seems like a failure to me.