Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ROM: Magic As Skill Or Life State

The options are:
1. Magic as a skill that everyone including vampires and mermaids can learn
2. Magic as an exclusive ability of a new life state separate from humans, vampires, etc.

ROM: Magic As Skill Or Life State 232 votes

Skill
42%
icmnfrshJaseaprilrosestoryySimmySimianoveronMsMayxMintIsb917TinkerballinvisiblgirlDJQ1308MysanIObelleJnyxIsa_MenezesisaiahzayVuloridetermigalex_alex09 99 votes
Life State
57%
Akl500PjwatsonOneAdorkableGirlJeanGRIMMYrudy8292IdontrcallIcewolfalexspoom13alan650111jonilla1PlayerSinger2010BrokenChaos69SuccyAnmirlaMariefoxprice83GothicKing13robyngravesJestTrumoltazia 133 votes

Comments

• Options
    Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    edited June 2019
    Skill
    Skill, because too many want to try out hybrid with vampire/alien, even mermaid but very buggy and risker, so I think skill better off and safer so alien, normal sims, vampire and mermaid can learn and use it.
  • Options
    Tan80Tan80 Posts: 72 Member
    skill
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Skill
    I kind of like the option of skills as it gives sims options. Like what if I don't want to change my Mermaid or Vampire but want them to have magical abilities?

But at the same time, it would be amazing if they were like Vampires. For each perk and level up, you have pick a negative trait and can be a good or bad magic user.
  • Options
    ThunderNebThunderNeb Posts: 55 Member
    Life State
    I want it mainly as a Life State to naturally channel magic and build up a well of magic. Different types of magic would be skills. Like Enchantments, Illusions, Divining, Necromancy, Transformation, Curse/Bless, and Summoning to name a few. As for other Sims, they would need an enchanted item which can store magic in order to cast spells like real witches. Natural witches would have some natural abilities aside from magic Skills of their choosing.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Skill
    I don’t really want them to do the whole Harry Potter thing with magic as heritage. I want anybody to be able to seek it out on their own instead of just being born with the ability.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited June 2019
    Skill
    I'm probably going to get my virtual throat slashed for this but I feel like magic is its own concept and doesn't need a particular occult associated with it. In the world of fantasy there are many different kinds of creatures that can use magic, including humans. I also prefer the idea of sims being able to learn witchcraft instead of having an actual witch occult because I just don't see the point of the latter.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Life State
    It needs to be a life state. Witches are THE MOST requested life state. It would be a slap in the face and a waste of Grant's time if they didn't make witches a separate life state.

It would not be as much fun to have magic be available to every sim. Period.
  • Options
    Skill
    It needs to be a life state. Witches are THE MOST requested life state. It would be a slap in the face and a waste of Grant's time if they didn't make witches a separate life state.

It would not be as much fun to have magic be available to every sim. Period.

What makes you so sure that other people who want witches wouldn’t be fine with anybody being able to do magic as long as magic was well developed? I just don’t want random premades picking it up on their own.

And why would it be less fun? I think it’d be neat if I could do a storyline where a scientist’s alien child discovered magic, or something like that.
  • Options
    Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    I want it to both tbh. A skill that any Sim can use perhaps, but only Fairies, Witches and Genies have full access to with unique spells.
  • Options
    jimjam1009jimjam1009 Posts: 165 Member
    edited June 2019
    Life State
    I think it should be a life state. It’s just makes it seem more natural and contained. It also means that they can really flesh it out more than just a skill to learn. It’s can have a tree and branches of magic to learn. I just personally prefer it.
  • Options
    Skill
    jimjam1009 wrote: »
    I think it should be a life state. It’s just makes it seem more natural and contained. It also means that they can really flesh it out more than just a skill to learn. It’s can have a tree and branches of magic to learn. I just personally prefer it.

Being a celebrity isn’t a lifestate, but it still has a tree with branches. I don’t see why they couldn’t do something like that for magic.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Skill
    I never understood why people like occults so much. Technically Makin' Magic didn't have any life states, but the pack was far more magical than the boring, cookie-cutter witches we got in TS2 and TS3.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    Life State
    QueenMercy wrote: »

Being a celebrity isn’t a lifestate, but it still has a tree with branches. I don’t see why they couldn’t do something like that for magic.

Being a celebrity isn’t a skill though that’s the difference. I personally just don’t think it would work well as a skill. Nor do I really want it to. But that’s just my opinion and you’re entitled to your own.
  • Options
    LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    Life State
    I am going to go with both.

I think we need life state, magical beings. Witches, of course, but also other magical beings to really flesh out the magical realm. As I have said before, the skill tree already exists so there is no excuse that it will cost money and eat into the budget for the pack in a huge way, it just needs to be amended for the pack.

I also think other sims, whatever type they are, ordinary or other occult, should be able to learn spells and even begin their own magical groups if they want. However I don't think they should be able to readily be as strong as a magical being - unless they go through some long training process.
  • Options
    Life State
    One more thing I thought about, if it’s not a life state then u can’t have cute little things like toddlers doing small accidental magic or children doing accidental magic when angry like set surrounding area on fire and stuff.
  • Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    Life State
    Really really want a life state. I would love them to have a magical form and a human form as well as a tree like vampires. I want my sim to be magical not sit through endless grinding like you do with skills in this game.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Skill
    I do want witches, but I want Sims to become a witch by learning magic, rather than by birth. I would like to see a trait (including a new one for toddlers) that would simulate the idea of the hereditary witch: those who have the trait learn magic more readily and can do more powerful magic. Others can dabble, and maybe do some interesting things as they skill up, but only those with the 'magic' trait would become true witches.

However, if witches are a life state, I'd be okay with that, too.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Life State
    I want magic to be a thing that runs in the family, a blood thing. Not everyone can just be a witch. I don't mind them being able to learn some potions maybe or even skill up, but they should in my opinion never have all the options, magical strength and spells available to them that witches have.
  • Options
    Life State
    One more thing I thought about, if it’s not a life state then u can’t have cute little things like toddlers doing small accidental magic or children doing accidental magic when angry like set surrounding area on fire and stuff.

Uch I HOPE they bring that one back ........ I'd hate it if magic was, again, entirely absent from sims until they become teens. They should really, really include this, because accidental toddler magic is just cute.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

So you're saying neither a skill or a life state, but more like the celebrity system where you can opt in or out?

I could see them doing this, and maybe it would be a good compromise. It would be more detailed than just making it a skill, but would still allow anyone to use magic.
  • Options
    amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    Life State
    I’m so torn between these choices, but considering that the previous witches have been life states I’d say were probably getting the same thing. So long as they manage to make witches as good as vampires though I’d happily take either.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Life State
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Uch I HOPE they bring that one back ........ I'd hate it if magic was, again, entirely absent from sims until they become teens. They should really, really include this, because accidental toddler magic is just cute.

I just remembered about the kids in Harry Potter doing accidental magic when they were too young for Hogwarts. Occasional toddler magic would be a lot of fun, but at minimum, children should be allowed to do magic so we can live out our Hogwarts fantasies.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Life State
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I just remembered about the kids in Harry Potter doing accidental magic when they were too young for Hogwarts. Occasional toddler magic would be a lot of fun, but at minimum, children should be allowed to do magic so we can live out our Hogwarts fantasies.

Totally agree!
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Life State
    Life state.

I don’t want other occult’s using magic when they have their own abilities.

Either way I’m not worried. I don’t think it will be a skill.

—T
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited June 2019
    Skill
    I would honestly love both options, but likely get more use out of a magic skill, particularly as I like to play vampires (and in some lore vampires are witches). I expect it will be a life state only though, which is a bit of a shame. Hopefully we'll at least get a new skill for all sims to learn like alchemy or certain types of spells. That would be a nice compromise.

I also hope that toddlers or at least child sims are able to use magic (either as fairies or witches). I'm not really a Harry Potter fan, I just want my younger sims to join in with the supernatural gameplay without having to either age up to teens or become ghosts. It would be so cute too.