Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My feelings about Island Living and a huge request to the developers

Actually, I think Island Living is great. I LOVE Sulani (I think I will never leave the island again) the objects and plants are just beautiful and also the jobs are very interesting (except that it´s sad that the lifeguard career is not active). Unlike many others, it doesn´t bother me that we don´t have scuba diving. But there is something else that REALLY bothers me, and I hope that the developers can bring that into the game with a patch. Iseland Living is perfect for single sims in terms of its activities. But what about my couples? They can not play together in the water. They can not build sandcastles together. These animations are already present in the game. Sims can build a snowman together, so why not sandcastles as well? And as for playing in the water, there is the animation from the "romantic garden stuff"pack. Sims can play together in the big fountain. This animation (see pictures) could have been perfect for the ocean.
And then I think I'll never understand why only one Sim can sit in a sailboat. It would be so romantic as a couple to sail in the sunset. :'(
I had a date with my couple on the beach today, but I realized that I didn´t know what to do with them there. There are simply no activities for couples, just for single sims. And as a player who plays more with couples than with singles, that's sad.
Furthermore, a few group activities such as volleyball or badminton would have been perfect for the beach. And why can´t sims talk with each other when they lie on the lounge chairs?
If the pack had more activities for couples / groups, it would be the perfect pack. I do not regret the purchase, but I would like to see improvements in a future patch. Please make the beautiful island more couple friendly.

3308kew.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited June 2019
    I agree with a lot of what you say, but couples can Build sand castles/sculptures together. I’ve done it.

Not having volleyball or frisbee is a shame.
  • Options
    SimsCat84SimsCat84 Posts: 72 Member
    I agree with a lot of what you say, but couples can Build sand castles/sculptures together. I’ve done it.

Not having volleyball or frisbee is a shame.

How ? I could instruct them to build sandcastles together, but they sat in the sand a few feet apart, and each Sim has built its own sandcastle.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    There’s an Interaction “Build sand sculpture with” I believe. It was working in my game, perhaps it’s bugged?
  • Options
    SimsCat84SimsCat84 Posts: 72 Member
    Weird. I did not see that. But even worse I find the missing activities for couples in the water and the lack of group activities. As I said, except for these things I find the pack amazing. But I'm really missing it.
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited August 2019
    I am not suprised. We all know, that its hard for them to create animations that arent tied to objects as seen in the Seasons snow ball fights.

Post edited by PreCiious on
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited June 2019
    My teen mermaid built a sandcastle with her little sister. Well it was almost done by the time her sister arrived but still :lol:

I would have like volleyball. And Why not surfing.
  • Options
    DemyanoSlavDemyanoSlav Posts: 581 Member
    Why not volleyball or surfing? Because the Devs don't care about what we want.

But I do admit that I am enjoying this expansion pack a bit more than I thought I would, which wasn't much.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2019
    I wouldn't be surprised if we got a "gamepack" gamepack sometime in the future as we have games and sports being added little by little in various packs and off the grid stuff in various packs and StrangerVille, coming just before Off the Grid lots in Island Living. Could be the reason we haven't got volleyball yet.

I might put in a basketball court (CL) and bowling alley somewhere instead and I think there's one outoor game that came with Outdoor living.
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited June 2019
    @Simburian: horseshoes? I remember the Grim Reaper playing horseshoes for hours after reaping one of my sims (eta: in Granite Falls, specifically.)
  • Options
    Tiarella wrote: »
    @Simburian: horseshoes? I remember the Grim Reaper playing horseshoes for hours after reaping one of my sims (eta: in Granite Falls, specifically.)

That's the one. Just right for off the beach.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Sulani is just the place for a luxurious sea side spa with sea bathing as one SimGuru tweeted. Why don't Simmers have more imagination and mix and match a bit? What about the card games in bars, A fishing clubhouse for the Fishing club, chess on the decks............? I'm so glad that I have all the packs.

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    Why not volleyball or surfing? Because the Devs don't care about what we want.

But I do admit that I am enjoying this expansion pack a bit more than I thought I would, which wasn't much.

I can't speak for surfing but I know volley ball is actually an American thing and not something that would be native to Island Living with a culture all it's own - so that could be why there was no volley ball. Just figured I'd mention that as it is very American originally anyway and dates back to the late 1800's in USA history.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited June 2019
    You sent me off googling, @Writin_Reg --that was interesting. I notice the wikipedia article is asking for expert help:
    This article needs attention from an expert in Volleyball. The specific problem is: too much unsourced information. WikiProject Volleyball may be able to help recruit an expert. (September 2015)
    Anybody here a volleyball expert willing to give the article proper sourcing?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Tiarella wrote: »
    You sent me off googling, @Writin_Reg --that was interesting. I notice the wikipedia article is asking for expert help:
    This article needs attention from an expert in Volleyball. The specific problem is: too much unsourced information. WikiProject Volleyball may be able to help recruit an expert. (September 2015)
    Anybody here a volleyball expert willing to give the article proper sourcing?

Well I used to live in Springfield - Massachusetts where Volley Balls were made. Springfield is actually known for a number of balls and games people play - lot of history there you can start with. In fact Springfield has a lot of other history important to the USA outside of balls. But there is also the Basketball Hall of Fame there among other things. If I remember right the inventor himself of the ball and the game was from Holyoke - a small town on Springfields outskirts.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    kinot9229kinot9229 Posts: 528 Member
    The animation from romantic garden stuff pack is reused for the waterfall in Sulani.
    I also feel quite disappointed that couple sims don’t have so many things to do together. That boat is a great chance but gurus just missed it.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Not even sun beach umbrellas they did -.- I mean... Who thinks about beaches and doesn't think about that? Its like the dog houses situation all over again :(:s
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    I doubt we'll ever see group sports like volley ball in the Sims 4. I mean have you tried having your sims throw snowballs/water balloons at each other? The animation is rough at best.

I think the most we'll ever see are sports you can play together but with separate animations (like golf or bowling) or sports that are tied to one spot (like martial arts). Trying to coordinate sims over a larger area seems to be a trick for the Sims 4 engine.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though. And hopefully it's something they're working on to improve because I'd love to see some more group activities too.
  • Options
    hvdiodehvdiode Posts: 13 New Member
    I 100% agree about the sailboat thing, I'd love if my two sims could fish together on a boat but they sadly can't.

It'd be especially great if pets (Specifically dogs) could get on sailboats with their owner, and maybe even count as walking them? Considering my sims live on an island surrounded by water and when the dog is begging to be walked he just goes outside the house on the leash than immediately returns home (If they don't freeze, I usually have to control it).

I mean, I'm grateful for the attention to detail we did get with pets in Island Living (They can swim! :smile: Thankfully not unless you call on them it seems, which is good since my sim's dog is loyal and usually follows them everywhere, I don't know if they can drown or not, but considering they seem to stand around a lot even in the water I hope they don't)
  • Options
    I doubt we'll ever see group sports like volley ball in the Sims 4. I mean have you tried having your sims throw snowballs/water balloons at each other? The animation is rough at best.

I think the most we'll ever see are sports you can play together but with separate animations (like golf or bowling) or sports that are tied to one spot (like martial arts). Trying to coordinate sims over a larger area seems to be a trick for the Sims 4 engine.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though. And hopefully it's something they're working on to improve because I'd love to see some more group activities too.

We had volley ball in Sims 1.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Volleyball_court

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited June 2019
    The problem is if we could have volleyball in the Sims 1 game, why can't we have it in Sims 4 game that came out many years later ? Shouldn't the Sims 4 be able to surpass Sims 1 ? Awkward.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    The problem is if we could have volleyball in the Sims 1 game, why can't we have it in Sims 4 game that came out many years later ? Shouldn't the Sims 4 be able to surpass Sims 1 ? Awkward.

We also had very realistic snowball/water balloon fights in The Sims 2 amongst other sporty group activities.

In The Sims 4, I feel embarrassed for Maxis/The Sims Studio for putting out what they did. Sims don't look at one another, they move around weirdly... it just looks terrible. A good amount of animations in this game are poorly done, especially in TS4: Laundry Day. Watch your Sims gather laundry and put them in the machines. Those animations are choppy and amateur.

For a game that took away open world to focus on single lot gameplay, it sure is doing an awful job at it. Especially considering the last few packs (City Living, Island Living, and so on) focus more on the world around your Sims, rather than the lots they're on. It just defeats the purpose.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »

We also had very realistic snowball/water balloon fights in The Sims 2 amongst other sporty group activities.

In The Sims 4, I feel embarrassed for Maxis/The Sims Studio for putting out what they did. Sims don't look at one another, they move around weirdly... it just looks terrible. A good amount of animations in this game are poorly done, especially in TS4: Laundry Day. Watch your Sims gather laundry and put them in the machines. Those animations are choppy and amateur.

For a game that took away open world to focus on single lot gameplay, it sure is doing an awful job at it. Especially considering the last few packs (City Living, Island Living, and so on) focus more on the world around your Sims, rather than the lots they're on. It just defeats the purpose.

Agreed. It is not what it once was. There is not much depth anymore. It is more concerned with the superficial. One sim is pretty much like the next.
  • Options
    LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    Why doesn’t „NOT having much couple activities“ not surprise me? We still don‘t have a Slow-Dance nor any other couple dance.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “