Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get Rid of The Kleptomaniac Trait Or Change It!

Seriously getting annoying seeing Sims randomly take things all over the neighborhoods. I keep losing stuff at my house, retail, and restaurants! The trait must be removed or you change things around.

Solution 1
-Remove it.

Solution 2
-Make it so non active Sims don't actually take things. They act like they do but really don't. Just like in retail in Get To Work. Sims 'buy' things but really don't use their money or actually own the things afterwards. Also like in Dine Out Sims eat all the time at restaurants but don't actually become huge (especially since only the same few Sims keep coming to them). Make it so they act like they steal but really don't.

The community lots and my house are becoming barren. Like a swarm of locusts they come in out of nowhere and before you know it, its all over. I'm tired of replacing things by going into buy/build mode and trying to get the right things and place them in the right spot again and again and again and again and again. With the random townie generation it makes things impossible to contain. I never create kleptomaniac Sims because of this problem. I wouldn't mind it if things were more controllable though. I mean why do you advertise the game as 'you rule' when I can't rule that kleptomaniacs are a problem and must be dealt with? o:)
1. The Sims 2
2. The Sims 3
3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
4. The Sims 1

Comments

• Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited October 2016
    I hear your angst but personally I really like the trait, even though it is a bit annoying to be constantly replacing items. When it gets a bit repetitive I just hop into Manage Households and change out their traits using the cas.fulleditmode cheat, or just delete the sim in question as game generated sims are nothing to me.

In all honesty removing traits like this would just be a huge step backwards for this game, yep, the trait isn't perfect by a long shot but at least it actually makes a difference when you use it unlike a lot of the other traits that are more or less useless as they don't really define the sims from each other.

*typos
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    I would love this trait... If only the stolen objects from community lots could respawn and not disappear forever. It's an awesome trait, but seeing your builds getting dismantled one after the other is super annoying.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    edited October 2016
    I love this trait. Once my sim has nearly mastered the Mischief skill that's how she makes money. Fancy statues, televisions and computers beware! :D
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    I would love this trait... If only the stolen objects from community lots could respawn and not disappear forever. It's an awesome trait, but seeing your builds getting dismantled one after the other is super annoying.

Very true but at least sims with this trait actually affect the world around them... their stealing makes a change in the world, it's not just 'pretend'. For that reason alone I like this trait. When you play this trait you can change the sims world... albeit in a very small way.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    No thanks. The trait is perfect and there's no need to tweak it.
  • Options

Far from perfect but you carry on making flamey kinds of statements. ;)

• Options
    papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    The trait is fine, the reason it's so annoying is because we have no police to correct the bad behaviour.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I wish there was some sort of feature to like blacklist traits you don't want townies to spawn with. I know they can be freely edited in CAS, but editing townies in CAS gets annoying the 40th time you have to do it.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    I wish there was some sort of feature to like blacklist traits you don't want townies to spawn with. I know they can be freely edited in CAS, but editing townies in CAS gets annoying the 40th time you have to do it.

Ya that would be nice cause there's 2-3 annoying traits.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

Preach.
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    Yep! Where are the Po-po? We need coppers in cars to collect the kleptos.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    We can have kleptos but I also want the real deal the original ready 1 2 3 BURGLARS! They made the game interesting and fun.
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Solution 2
    They act like they steal (this is for non active household Sims) like they act like they eat at restaurants and act like they buy things at retail lots but don't. This way non active Sims won't take everything on all the lots. People still react and everything but they don't actually take it. But active Sims can take it. Just like how active Sims actually eat at restaurants and buy things at retail.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    How can you hate a trait for doing it's job! That's what kleptos do! When it comes to stealing at public venues I already have them in my library I just simply replace it when need be! All this forum did was make my upcoming new Sim have theklepto trait cause it's fun! Usually I enjoy targeting a single household such as the BFF household because it adds a certain amount of cruelty to target young Sims just starting out in life to have absolutely nothing lol. Do you like HBO? My Sim is taking your tv...do you like shoe racks? Well too bad cause my Sim is taking it! Do you like planting your behind on a sofa? Bye bye! lol
  • Options
    SimmingLoveSimmingLove Posts: 280 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

This. I Love.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    How can you hate a trait for doing it's job! That's what kleptos do! When it comes to stealing at public venues I already have them in my library I just simply replace it when need be! All this forum did was make my upcoming new Sim have theklepto trait cause it's fun! Usually I enjoy targeting a single household such as the BFF household because it adds a certain amount of cruelty to target young Sims just starting out in life to have absolutely nothing lol. Do you like HBO? My Sim is taking your tv...do you like shoe racks? Well too bad cause my Sim is taking it! Do you like planting your behind on a sofa? Bye bye! lol
    I never thought of doing that. I am going to make sure I copy all my Lots into my library now. I haven't come across any kleptos yet, but just in case... :)
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    I never thought of doing that. I am going to make sure I copy all my Lots into my library now. I haven't come across any kleptos yet, but just in case... :)

Yes replacing lots are quite easy in The Sims 4 and so when you rob a lot blind just a simple click and ten seconds everything is back on! I hope this helps you!
  • Options
    ArchonsKeeperArchonsKeeper Posts: 2 New Member
    With Get Famous, the number of Kleptos has gotten out of hand, is the issue. (EVERY PAPARAZZI HAS IT.) I don't think the trait needs to be removed - I honestly could care less about computers or what not being stolen. What I care about is when custom paintings or photographs are stolen; they're effectively irreplaceable. Don't remove kleptomaniacs - remove it as a mandatory train for paparazzi, and give us something which functions as an effective security system. Let us put a security camera in our home, or in rooms, and make it so the klepto trait doesn't function in a room with that item - or they're immediately given a 'caught red handed' action, which returns the stolen item from inventory and returns it to the player, and sends the klepto sim to jail.

The trait is broken; when a PC is playing a klepto, they're not supposed to be able to steal in front of other Sims. But NPC Sims do it all the time, brazenly, and apparently without a cooldown. (I watched a paparazzi steal twelve masterpieces back to back.) Also, disable it on retail lots/restaurants/vet clinics. In the case of retail, it can make high value retail stores guaranteed to run at a loss.

I don't want the klepto trait removed - I want it fixed, and countermeasures, so there's some balance and realism to the trait. I *don't* want to have to rely on third party mods or cheats to correct it.
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    If you have Get together, play as a klepto and make a klepto only club. This way it’ll show you all the Kleptos in your world, that way you can ‘take care of them,’ or just know who to look out for on your owned lots.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    my choice is solution 1 remove it completely since i clearly 1 do not use said trait and 2 would not play klepto sims
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! I love that trait, and I don't mind stuff getting swiped sometimes. We have so little random happenstance in this game and whenever we do get some people complain to the point of gets nerfed out of existence! This game entirely lacks dynamism because nothing random ever happens! :s:'(
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited June 2019
    With Get Famous, the number of Kleptos has gotten out of hand, is the issue. (EVERY PAPARAZZI HAS IT.) I don't think the trait needs to be removed - I honestly could care less about computers or what not being stolen. What I care about is when custom paintings or photographs are stolen; they're effectively irreplaceable. Don't remove kleptomaniacs - remove it as a mandatory train for paparazzi, and give us something which functions as an effective security system.

This is one major issue I have with the "you rule" statement, as I am a simmer who loves taking control in every aspect of my game, down to making my own custom NPCs. I was more than excited to do this when Get Famous came out (populating my saves with my own created celebs and paparazzi sims? Yes please!), only to find my first custom paparazzo had his traits changed to make way for Kleptomaniac, effectively rewriting and ruining his entire character and backstory.

...Okay, maybe to say he was entirely "ruined" is a bit melodramatic, and granted, I did use a mod* to put the sim in that role, but do we not deserve to actually exert control over our games (that we paid and are paying good money for) in a meaningful and lasting way? Why does the game not allow me to simply create my own NPCs for whatever role instead of just generating (forgive me) ugly new townies with garbage traits (and this is coming from someone who enjoys playing with negative traits) that I generally end up hating and deleting and replacing anyway???

With all that said, I do love the klepto trait and would be sad to see it go, tweaking it a la:
    aws200 wrote: »
    Solution 2
    They act like they steal (this is for non active household Sims) like they act like they eat at restaurants and act like they buy things at retail lots but don't. This way non active Sims won't take everything on all the lots. People still react and everything but they don't actually take it. But active Sims can take it. Just like how active Sims actually eat at restaurants and buy things at retail.

would easily be the best compromise.

*Paulson's NPC control mod, has it's issues but is powerful, comprehensive and easy to use, worth a download if you like making your own NPCs

EDIT: It also sucks that Librarians have this problem, they MUST have Neat + Bookworm, and forcing a sim into the role even if they HAVE those two traits and a third? Say goodbye to that third trait! All I ask is for complete and unchecked power the ability to actually "rule" my game the way the promotional material implies I can, is that so much to ask?
  • Options
    starkid852starkid852 Posts: 2 New Member
    I think it's a bit of fun but I wish there was a way to scold someone who took your stuff and get it back from them. If an NPC steals something you literally can't do anything about it and I feel that's a bit unfair. We really need functioning police and burglars instead of all this.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don’t think it should be removed. The game is too sweetness and light as it is and I’m tired of anything negative getting toned down.

That being said, I think if kleptomaniac are stealing from your house there should be an option to get your stuff back.
  • Options
    kinot9229kinot9229 Posts: 528 Member
    I don’t hate this trait.
    I just hate that sims who have witnessed the theft can’t make thieves return things or accuse them.