Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Floor plans

So where do you get your floor plan ideas from? . I love Victoriana houses. And I wanted to create my own but I can't come up with anything I seen lots of grateful plans online but I'm just liking them. I'm in a slump.

Comments

• Options
    aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    I use this:

https://architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans

Nearly 30,000 plans!! :smiley:
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    When floorplans don't work, I often just work from pictures of the facade. I try to re-create them best I can in game and then fill in the rest of the house from my imagination.
    It can also work to draw a floor plan on paper, that's what I used to do back in ts2.
    By now I've built so many Victorian houses that I know the general lay out. If you like, you can check out my builds on the gallery and see if they inspire you. My gallery ID is the same as my forum username.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I often use the same site that @aldavor mentioned. They have tons. It's got categories so you can narrow down exactly what you are looking for.
    People try to recreate every little nook and cranny that they see in a plan and that just doesn't work. I go for the general layout and outside look. If I can get that right, I'm happy. Good luck.
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    edited June 2019
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Ebay has lots of period plan books available for Victorian fans. I've gotten several of them so have plans for everything from simple cottages to mansions to public buildings of various sizes and types. The major challenge is finding accurate interior & exterior wall coverings, floors, stairs, detailed woodwork, and furnishings. As Dannydanbo said, go for the basic look. Build mode, regardless of TS version, has too many placement and other restrictions to get an exact copy. With care, patience, and practice you should be able to build some really nice buildings.
  • Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    Google, mostly, or I just put down a box and expand it outwards until it looks like a house.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited June 2019
    Usually, I make them myself. I’ve dedicated a section of OneNote to doing so. I also create boards in OneNote as well so I can keep track of plans for each room when I build it; such as colour schemes.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    Download a house you like off the gallery or other download site. Put it in your game. Observe the layout and the facade. Play around with changing the layout, the windows, etc. Do this until you get a clearer picture of what you want. If you don't want these houses in your game you can always buldoze them. When you feel that you have good idea, then you can build your own house.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    aldavor wrote: »
    I use this:

https://architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans

Nearly 30,000 plans!! :smiley:

Very cool - I've been in a rut with my floor plans.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2019
    I prefer homes used on TV like the Brady Bunch home and there is an book out that has some of TVs house layout blu-prints.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    Pinterest can be incredibly helpful. Local libraries often have house plan books in their architecture/home building section, if you prefer something in your hand to work from. My local library had one on Victorian homes specifically that I enjoyed.
  • Options
    ZyamanaiZyamanai Posts: 15 Member
    I usually go onto google maps and find houses that are unique from the outside and use those to build, then I make up the floor plan to fit the shell I created! :smile:
  • Options
    thegalaxymarsthegalaxymars Posts: 24 Member
    Usually I make plans myself (most of the time i draw plan and front of the house on paper or iPad first).

We don't have Victorian houses in my country so when I started I made a Pinterest account and pinned as many pictures and photos as I could to get an idea how it should look.
  • Options
    I also use a graph paper pad (one square = 1/4") and draw out any plan I want to try. Each grid equals one grid. It helps see what is needed and what I can do away with. Sims don't like or need like cubbyhole closets.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I'm not a builder, but I also LOVE Victorian houses so I download them off the gallery. I tend to search the gallery based on what style I want and then go through them all and favorite the layouts I like the most. I may try building a nice Ranch home first to start, because building is so not my strong suit.

I do want to say that I did build the Ponderosa Ranch in TS3 and moved in my Cartwright sims, lol!!
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited June 2019
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    Usually, I make them myself. I’ve dedicated a section of OneNote to doing so. I also create boards in OneNote as well so I can keep track of plans for each room when I build it; such as colour schemes.

That sounds interesting, would you be prepared to share a screenshot or two? (I love using OneNote for simmy stuff)
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member

That sounds interesting, would you be prepared to share a screenshot or two? (I love using OneNote for simmy stuff)
    I would, but I don’t know how to post screenshots.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    jupkmnjupkmn Posts: 98 Member
    edited June 2019
    I usually use archdaily.com to get inspired. Sometimes I do like @MDianaSanders said and get inspired only by the facades. And sometimes I try to replicate the interiors as well.

• Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    jupkmn wrote: »
    I usually use archdaily.com to get inspired. Sometimes I do like @MDianaSanders said and get inspired only by the facades. And sometimes I try to replicate the interiors as well.

Thanks for the link to archdaily.com. That is a truly inspirational website!
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited June 2019

I would, but I don’t know how to post screenshots.

Upload the pic to a website like Imgur. Then look for the bb code of the image and paste that code here. Try it. It's quite easy.
  • Options
    CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    Google, lots of googling. Typically I spend about a week looking through house plans before finally settling on one. For family homes, I like to use actual house listing like on Zillow, or realitor.com sometime they give you the floor plan with those, plus actual pictures of it being lived in. I like to use the thepinnaclelist.com for any kind of mansions or modern houses.

This site might help you, it lists lots of Victorian era floor plans https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/styles/victorian
    2ynjgg8.png
  • Options
    Stairs are always an issue so some redesigning might be required, but you can do it.