Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ts4 is endlessly boring...suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2019
    All of these suggestions seem pretty good, but many of them I’ve tried before and didn’t work. What usually happens is I come up with an idea for a family, create it, and once the baby is born i give up on the save and never play sims again until I get a new idea. Any suggestions to fix this endless cycle?

Don't have a baby. When you play the same way, it gets boring. Rotate to a different family every now and then, and play them in a completely different way. Not all families have to give birth, get married, or have jobs. Play some full households, and some with only a single sim that, perhaps, never settles down. Play a homeless sim. Play a teen that has no parents, etc.
    Post edited by IceyJ on
  • Options
    StilettoBlackStilettoBlack Posts: 3,844 Member
    Take a long break. Until you feel like playing again. I love the sims in TS4, but what they can do is so lacking. I love TS3 worlds and there's so much to do, but the Sims seem so lonely after playing TS4.
    Look up Toontown Rewritten. There you can own a house, decorate it however you want. You can own pets called Doodles, you can garden, race and play golf. You can buy different outfits. You can go to and throw parties. It's like sims, but cartoony. IT'S FREE! But be warned, it's addictive. It's all online too. You make real friends. And once you start playing it's all you'll want to do. Play it until you want to play this again.
    (Let me know if you start playing, I can meet you there and show you the ropes. lol)
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I kinda feel like some of the other responders to your post. Maybe you just genuinely don't like this game, or you need a break from it for a while. I love the Sims franchise and have played since the original The Sims title came out. That said, I've always taken breaks from it. Some a short few days, others a year or two at a time..

Forcing yourself to play could be what's causing the boredom. Typically, when I take a break from the game(s) something in real life prompts me to come back and play again. Maybe I'll see a really interesting house design and decide I have to try building it in the sims, or Someone will say or do something that makes me feel like I want to create that story with my sims!

Whatever the issue is that's causing your boredom, I hope you find the solution that you want/need to be happy.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited May 2019
    Curious to how the op usually plays? It's always best to just break away out of that usual routine and not fall into that if making a family and having a baby is always end game for you before moving on.

I like making a big variety of sims in the game. Found out some time back that playing with evil and criminal sims is pretty fun. :D I have them making their main source of income is from stealing from other sims and pick pocketing, so they don't really have a job to be leveling in. (Usually kept them as a petty thief when I did.)

Also have a sim that just lives off the land. No home, just a tent and has a small garden they managed to get up to par to be able to make somewha tof a decent living, but I only have them use the yard sale table to sell their goods. :)

If you still can't find any ways to shake up gameplay for you or step out of your usual routine, might just wanna do as move said above and just step away from the game for a bit and play others. Be it other sim games or just some other ones you have on hand. The Sims in general can get boring at times for being a casual game. What I tend to do if I don't feel like playing any sims games at all. Don't Starve is a good game if you like a survival type game.

Also if you use mods you should check out some that can add to more gameplay and extra details. Smetimes I linger in CAS a lot just making different sims and figuring out a story for them before I decide in playing them that and could also try your hand at building?
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Play The Sims 2 or The Sims 3 then come back when you have the urge to play 4 again.
  • Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    I am going through a bit of a bored stage myself. My Sim I created and started Him in a Rags to Riches, which I LOVED!!! Then I maxed out all of his skills and aspirations(he worked every job that was available to Him and maxed out each career) He has Families but I get real bored with Children for some reason(even though He has 65 lol, thank you MCCC WooHoo and me not doing my setting right)

These stages usually pass with Me, hoping I will find something that will keep Me so entertained as the above mentioned :wink:
  • Options
    LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    All of these suggestions seem pretty good, but many of them I’ve tried before and didn’t work. What usually happens is I come up with an idea for a family, create it, and once the baby is born i give up on the save and never play sims again until I get a new idea. Any suggestions to fix this endless cycle?

I was stuck in a similar cycle and what it took was for me to try a completely different play style. I was convinced I was bad at building but really fancied remaking Disney castles and stuff, so I had a good go, did about ten builds, and it became addictive and I learned SO much about building and now it's one of my favorite parts of the game.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I just started with TS4, due to the free base game offer from EA, and I can definitely see where tedium can kick in.

On the one hand, career tasks and promotion requirements remind me of some of the structure I enjoyed in TSM, but by the time my Sim was a Level 10 Trend Setter, the daily tasks felt like chores, to say nothing of having to level Photography or Charisma.

Cynically, I wonder if in part this is by design. Naturally, EA wants us to buy new stuff, with new playability and options. Expansions and stuff packs are their bread and butter.

But at heart, game designers want to make - and game publishers want to sell - games that are fun to play. There is definitely a repetitive rhythm to TS4 that I didn't find in TS3. Does my Sim have the right mood for what I want to be doing? How Happy (and on top of that, Inspired) can I get him before work?

SO FAR, this has been offset by novelty of learning the ins and outs of the new systems, but I wonder if the moods all really become same-y in a way that fails to bring real variety to the wake-bathe-eat-work-recreate-eat-sleep pattern my Sims end up in.

I'll see how it play in a month, and try to articulate where I think things aren't working as well as they might. Because I like The Sims, and I like The Sims 4 (though I am ever a late adopter), and I want to be sure my feedback is constructive, and not just complaining.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited May 2019
    What I find the best is when the game gives something unexpected, like having a family member get electrocuted and died and now you have to go on a mission to bring them back. :D

Other than that, I can't think of much fun things too since I haven't played in forever and found some other interests that I spend my time on.

But here was what worked for me last time.

You can make a list of things you want to happen in the game. It can be something that isn't in the game "officially as an option" but you will have to use your creativity, for example, have a picnic at a park (where you can get your sims to bring their packed lunch), or maybe have a bakery sale (you can use that sales thing from GTW, forgot what's it called, where you put the table in front of the house like a yard sale. LOL.)
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DinowCookieDinowCookie Posts: 951 Member
    You're doing the exact same thing I used to do. When I first played Sims 4 I started with a single sim, found a partner, had a kid and then got bored.

But for quite some time now I've completely overhauled my gameplay. I've installed MCCC, am control-freaking each aspect of the world (dressing townies, match-making relationships between all the Sims in the game etc.) and keep track of the family trees in my game using theplumtreeapp.com. Tracing these family trees and seeing "genetics" progress through them is great fun to me.

Gameplay wise I've learned that (for me) the most fun sims to play, are the ones who are most unlike yourself. I've played a crazy, unfaithful vampire whose morale was completely out of whack. A fat scientist who worked her way to the top of her career and then became a bodybuilder, then cloned her married best friend because she wanted to date him... An extroverted party animal who keeps fighting over a guy... Stuff I'd NEVER experience nor want to experience in real life, which makes it all the more fun to explore those scenario's in a game. 😁 Takes some effort to step out of that comfort zone but once you do it, it can be great fun.
    Visit me on the gallery! 😊
    EA ID: DinowCookie | No-CC Households & Rooms
  • Options
    SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    If you are bored of the game, then go play something else. Feed your imagination by reading some books or watching some shows/movies or whatever.

If you are bored of your play style, then change it. It's easy to get stuck in a rut, where you keep doing the same thing over in over. It's not so easy to get yourself out of it, specially if you aren't really interested in other ways to play.

My suggestion is to get off the treadmill. You get bored when you start a family, so play a single sim that will never marry. Turn off aging for your household (if you feel like it) and let everyone else age. If you play a sim that can get pregnant, plan that when the kid is born, your sim will send it to live with the mother/father. You can visit the kid occasionally, if you feel like it.

Live your sims life, without tying your sim to a job. Find little ways to earn money or just hit him/her with a motherlode to start out with (give um more later if needed). Let your sim takes it's time. Maybe today he/she will go off to the jungle for a couple of days or a week, to casually explore or just to hang out at the market place. Maybe next week, go camping. Or maybe live in a tent instead of a house. Maybe in the afternoon your sim will practice singing or playing an instrument or just having some fun getting better at playing video games and then do something different the next day.

Let him/her gain skills by doing (not by reading books or looking at a mirror). Watch the cooking channel while eating. Social low? Take your sim out to just spend time making friends or visiting friends. Go to the festivals, go on dates and outings with friends. Whatever comes up. Want to work on an aspiration, go ahead, pick away at it a little at a time. There is no rush!

If you like storytelling, you can figure out why your sim will never marry/settle down. You can share your sims story/life or just keep it to yourself but I find that a story/reason helps.

IMO, having fun playing sims, whether you play 2, 3 or 4 (I never played 1 so can't comment on it), all depends on how much of your imagination you are using. The more imagination, the more fun. Stop playing the game and jump into the sandbox.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Have you tried one of the game save files available? There are several available where the creator has remade the neighborhoods with all new lots and Sims, it might give you new options to load one if those and play the premade sims and lots that come with it. Lana cc finds on Tumblr has several listed.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    If you're not opposed to mods, I like to download some when I get bored, take them out when those get boring (But don't delete them!). It works pretty well for me actually. The only one that I always keep in is MC Command Center.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Play The Sims 2 or The Sims 3 then come back when you have the urge to play 4 again.

That's what I am doing now.
    As creative as I get with my story lines and multiple households interacting, I still get bored with TS4 until a new pack comes out.

I just believe it's these sims. Their traits don't interact like the past sims games and you don't get these subtle or crazy situations that you can roll into your scenario. There isn't as much cause and effect. You have to create it yourself and that's a bit boring compared to situations boiling up on their own and taking you by surprise. It's more doll house than simulation.

Did you play and enjoy the other Sims games?
    If you did, can you identify what did not bore you about them?
    Can you do something similar in TS4 to make it as interesting?
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    edited May 2019

As others have said, take a break. I'm doing that now playing Elder Scrolls Online, along with a few other things. Idk where you live but here in the hills of WV it's getting close to summer and I've been out in my herb and veggie garden tending to them. We just planted some fruit trees as well. So maybe just take a break enjoy the days if they are getting warmer for you or perhaps pick up a book. I'm also reading the GoT books because I was unsatisfied with the tv series.

An idea will come to you. Perhaps your muse needs a break too to recharge themselves!

ETA: once again Im leaving out words bc Im hangry lol
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    I just thought of something else for you to try if you don't want to take a break. Clare Siobhan on YT has been doing a "Whims only" challenge. I've not seen another YTer doing it so maybe that might be something interesting for you to bring the spark back to your Sims game.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Never forced myself to play something I dont enjoy so I dont understand these threads. Honestly seems like an obnoxiously passive aggressive way of complaining about TS4. Just stop playing.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    You have to make your own fun. I do stories and build, but I do wish there was more to this game.
  • Options
    ItsProbablyMeItsProbablyMe Posts: 17 Member
    Just download all the overhaul mods like basemental and sacrifical.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2019
    Like what many others are suggesting, I would recommend taking a break, playing the same game for a long time will tire you out. Play something else and come back. I used to get tired or angry playing the sims4 until I realized it was not the game, it was me.
    Post edited by logion on
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    This problem is so broad. It could be anything! I have find myself bored for so many different reasons. One is the game itself, but for the love of the sims, I needed to find a way around that. I just try to enjoy what we have and focus on the good things that previous game didn't provide. Like the routing issues? Multitasking? The ease of doing tasks and socializing without the need to keep giving new interactions. These features are KEY for me! If previous game had these, these games would probably be perfect for me.

Ok so, you could take a look at 1001 things to try in the sims 4 thread on this forum ;) A lot of great ideas!
    For me it works to get life stories inspirations from either a movie, episode or RL happening around me. Then I create the perfect household for this and play along. It shouldn't be a goal that is easy accomplished, but it needs layers, different directions and maybe even inspiration for the generations after.

My first generation had this scenario:
    3 intern Docs living together in an apartment. 2 guys and 1 girl. The girl is shy, prude and has a major crush on one of the guys. But this guy is however a Casanova, very good looking and it would take a lot for him to realize her value. She tries forever to have even the tiniest romantic moment with him, but it goes a loooong way. I let the game partly decide this and try not to give in to easy for romance. It really got me living the story. The other guy is just a very happy, joyful guy who eventually met his life partner. This was unplanned.
    The actual story that I was inspired to play, was when they got married, so as you see this story had a lot of levels to play with. The story was a doc couple who got married, had a son, father was unfaithful at some point cause not satisfied. The father was at the head of his career while his wife was more of a nurse/doctor. Father had a bad relationship with his son who eventually turned to be gay. Too much disapproval from his father turned him to face every other direction then what his dad wanted him to be.
    I actually created their pre-story and played this roommate story of how they eventually fell for eachother for maybe more then a year. So, it kept me busy.
  • Options
    CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    Do a rags to riches challenge. That always makes me want to play more
    2ynjgg8.png
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I thought @ChelleJo had some great ideas. I play a huge rotation and kind of build a story around my sims. If I get bored of one family I move onto the next. I also play with aging off and can age my sims as I like.
    I went back to my main sim this last time who doesn’t work but has become very comfortable gardening and painting. Although I have had outdoor Retreat forever, this sim just barely finished collecting all the insects. Now she is going to get into brewing to sell the concoctions at her store. And will be hitting the jungle next.
    All of my families/ roommates are different, some are families, some are roommates, some have children, some don’t. Some are married, others are living together, some are dating. One is a generational family with grandparents on both sides. One family is a Grandmother living with her granddaughter (a child). I had some adult brothers and sisters living together that are now breaking apart and marrying, but stay in youth through a family club.
    The Landgrabbs ( who I cheat with) own several retail places so I can set retail places up to sell things. They are in the penthouse in San Myshuno and have live in help as well as a butler.
    I moved the Goths ( with their house) to Forgotten Hollow....where I think they always belonged and put the graves of Mortimer parents there. Mortimer is becoming a Politician. Bella is going to host parties, and I am thinking of having Casandra be a famous pianist.
    I have a painter, who is temperamental... he has the angry trait, lol, he will go around different places painting things. I’m going to get him the sketch pad so it will be easier.
    I have photographer who goes around to different towns taking pictures to sell in his shop.
    I have one sim now visiting the bluffs a lot trying to get a picture of the Sea serpent Emily. She will write a story about her when she finally gets that picture.
    I have a family of writers who I got a bit bored with, but am going to start a bowling team with them, and their friends. I plan to have them visit the jungle so they can write about their adventures.
    Most of my sim families/roommates know each other, visit each other, do things together. My rotation is so large that I probably could do fine without many townies, but the game keeps creating them anyway, lol. I have plenty of community places, restaurants, different kinds of parks, a beach (of course it’s really a pool), a science building, I downloaded someones restaurant with a slip and slide which is fun for summer fun, I have a theatre, a drive in, a mall in Magnolia promenade that even has a spooky room that my actors can film in. Long ago, I downloaded someones ghost town, which is a fun place to visit. I plan to start a skating club for my teens, a Boy and Girl Scout group for the children. I plan to have them go to a club house for camping in Silvadorado.
    You just need to use your imagination
    I am still waiting fo a farm pack to have my farmer.
  • Options
    MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    edited May 2019
    Hello simmers, I know many others have already discussed this, but I keep getting bored with sims 4 and am wondering if anybody has any ideas to help make it more interesting. Thanks 💛

Get EP 7 in June that will bring more life to TS4.

There’s a new EP in June? Since when? That’s the first I’m hearing of it ...
    EDIT: just remembered it... geez now I’m excited 💛
  • Options
    MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    Take a long break. Until you feel like playing again. I love the sims in TS4, but what they can do is so lacking. I love TS3 worlds and there's so much to do, but the Sims seem so lonely after playing TS4.
    Look up Toontown Rewritten. There you can own a house, decorate it however you want. You can own pets called Doodles, you can garden, race and play golf. You can buy different outfits. You can go to and throw parties. It's like sims, but cartoony. IT'S FREE! But be warned, it's addictive. It's all online too. You make real friends. And once you start playing it's all you'll want to do. Play it until you want to play this again.
    (Let me know if you start playing, I can meet you there and show you the ropes. lol)

I’ll definitely look into that tomorrow, if I remember. I’ll write it down because it’s pretty late where I live and I’m getting tired, but i’ll Google it tomorrow 😊