Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inefficiency in TS4 Swatches

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    In addition to things not matching, I think a lot of items just do not come with good color pallets. A lot of items have very vibrant colors, or heavily stylized textures that realistically would have to be used with matching items. It’s nearly impossible to mix and match different sets and come out with something appealing. Little coordination was done for this, and it shows. Matching textures on all kinds of items was a major selling point of Sims 3, regardless of this game having CASt they should have at least made an effort to accommodate that to some extent.

Some objects don't even had swatches, remember the trashcan that gives you money every time you throw trash at it?How about the obstacle course feom the Pets EP?
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    In addition to things not matching, I think a lot of items just do not come with good color pallets. A lot of items have very vibrant colors, or heavily stylized textures that realistically would have to be used with matching items. It’s nearly impossible to mix and match different sets and come out with something appealing. Little coordination was done for this, and it shows. Matching textures on all kinds of items was a major selling point of Sims 3, regardless of this game having CASt they should have at least made an effort to accommodate that to some extent.

Some objects don't even had swatches, remember the trashcan that gives you money every time you throw trash at it?How about the obstacle course feom the Pets EP?

Absolutely! For a game that has a limited range of styles for any given object, there is no reason anything should only come in one style. That is a massive oversight on their end. I remember when the game first came out and it had all of those similar looking off-white doors that had no other colors (although some of the doors got some colors with OR) and I couldn’t believe it.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    May I also include hair colours in this? I would love more natural hair colour options, particularly a nice dark brown with lighter shades between the dark and lighter one we have now.
  • Options
    Mikado-chanMikado-chan Posts: 108 Member
    May I also include hair colours in this? I would love more natural hair colour options, particularly a nice dark brown with lighter shades between the dark and lighter one we have now.

If only they gave us an option to blend two hair colours together... It can't be that hard to do. It's just a transparency slider :unamused:
  • Options
    JADETIGERJADETIGER Posts: 23 Member
    > @LiELF said:
    > QueenMercy wrote: »
    >
    > I kinda wish they’d make an external create a style tool or something.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I'd like to see an external tool for recoloring. Something that allows us to easily import/export with our game, similar to what Sims 2 had in Body Shop. I totally get not having a tool like that in game to prevent it from weighing it down, but I feel like by now they should have improved on an external tool.
    >
    > Just another reason I think they should look back at the roots of the Sims games, especially Sims 2.

I also wish we could have an external Create a Style tool for clothes, objects and build mode items. There are styles I really like, but hate the color options. Colors I like, but hate the pattern or style. Items I love (both clothes and objects) but nothing that matches or coordinates right - so I end up not using.

I also wish all the jewelry would have both gold AND silver options to go with the colored “jewels”, and more earring options. I hate that a couple of the new beautiful earrings are only for one ear (again I don’t use them) - make both one and two earring options!
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    edited April 2019
    We need more swatches. Some ítems don’t have plain swatches, like the closet cupboard from Get Famous, I had to get a recolor because I wanted a softer version for regular househols, just black or white.

Some desks don’t have a plain white swatch. As someone said, some of the beds patterns are uh.....not....great, and like the desks, many beds don’t have plain black and white swatches (the city living canopy bed, I’d like it in white)

Some clothes like those jeans from Get Famous would need a “regular swatch” without the makeup thingy.

Also can we have separated jackets and tops so we could actually choose what top or dress to wear with which jacket ? The leather jacket from Get Together would go so well with a dress ! Same for the base game denim jacket :(
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Let's talk curtains. I've given up on them. If I've got two styles of windows that actually match (a two-tile that also comes in a one-tile), and I find a curtain that doesn't clash with the furniture, walls and floor, the curtain will only be available in two- or three-tiles. Or, I can get the same curtain in one- or two-tile sizes, but the swatches aren't the same.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    It is really infuriating when decorating a house. Wood tones and textures drive me nuts.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited April 2019
    Let's talk curtains. I've given up on them. If I've got two styles of windows that actually match (a two-tile that also comes in a one-tile), and I find a curtain that doesn't clash with the furniture, walls and floor, the curtain will only be available in two- or three-tiles. Or, I can get the same curtain in one- or two-tile sizes, but the swatches aren't the same.

I wish the downsize cheat worked on curtains!! In some cases it works ok, but rarely for single tile windows if the curtains are 2-3 tiles wide. I wish they would patch in just a generic set of curtains that match across a few different sizes; like a 1, 2, and 3 tile variant of the same style. As is curtains clash soooo badly with not only furniture but with other curtains. It’s very frustrating when trying to build for my personally.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2019

I wish the downsize cheat worked on curtains!! In some cases it works ok, but rarely for single tile windows if the curtains are 2-3 tiles wide. I wish they would patch in just a generic set of curtains that match across a few different sizes; like a 1, 2, and 3 tile variant of the same style. As is curtains clash soooo badly with not only furniture but with other curtains. It’s very frustrating when trying to build for my personally.

Bolded I'd very much like this and give us a lot of colour swatches for them. Plus tasselled and straight single left and right curtains for all window sizes and so that they fit in corner windows too and fit properly behind furniture.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    ... I'm always wishing we had funkier styles ...
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Plus....We seem to get one or two curtains every pack, so even with having every pack I'm still having problems with fitting curtains to windows.
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    ... I'm always wishing we had funkier styles ...

A lot of the packs include some cool funky stuff. My problem is making stuff work together or work with the personality of the household I'm playing.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    I honestly wouldn't mind a basic build and buy stuff pack at this point.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited April 2019
    My husband is color blind, so he just matches patterns anyway. But I was just complaining at him last night about how hard it is to decorate, even compared to Sims 2. All the things everyone has already mentioned- you can't match color and pattern and wood type, because they are all different. And curtains, omg. There are so many curtains, and yet the styles and colors are such that I can never seem to put curtains on all the windows in my house and if I do, they're going to all be different.
    Honestly, I would be happier they'd just given everything the exact same swatches with lots of different solid colors. That would be easier to deal with than what we have.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    *sorry if someone mentioned this already*

LilSimsie mentioned this in one of her Sims 4 rants about how in build buy mode, A LOT of the swatches (especially wood swatches) don’t match. WHYY?! If you’re gonna make us use preset swatches then make them ALL match. I honestly wouldn’t mind the same swatches across multiple items because it would mean everything would be cohesive and look good together.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited April 2019
    I don't mind the swatches, really, in theory... but they have obviously gone out of their way to NOT match things.
    Either that, or they haven't paid the slightest attention.
    Or they actually live in homes with eclectic kitchens with a stove from the 60's, a sink from the 90s and a fridge from the 70s. And think everyone else is living like that.

Some examples:

Kitchen sinks - Not a SINGLE SINK that matches the metal finish on any other kitchen detail

Kitchen appliances in general - They have obviously on purpose made it so no dishwasher matches any other thing. Ever. And that only a single model of fridge matches any choice at all of oven. etc.

It is quite often the case that items that shape wise are obviously meant to match, and be used together (like say a set of chairs and a table) don't have a single swatch that match. Again, this must have been done on purpose.

Then we have specific objects that just lacks any matching with anything. The prime example is the top model talking toilet that don't have a neutral option at all, and what looks like black with white seat actually is dark blue, so it doesn't match anything. Again, obviously on purpose.

Also, when it comes to design... as a side note: Why are there cool design diner tables that has no matching chairs period. Not talking color swatches here, but actual chair designs???
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    edited May 2019
    In light of the new answers to the 'guessing game' I'm bringing this thread back, as it seems relevant again.

I'm so tired of this game. I want to be excited, but I'm just disappointed and feel stupid for spending so much money on this game in the first place.

350 new swatches that I probably won't use and will just bloat my game. Joy.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2019
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    TS4 uses a premade swatches system instead of having a colorwheel or Create a Style for the sake of performance since it 's supposed to require less memory since if you used CASt, every texture you created would have to be loaded by the game so you could potentially end up with hundreds of them if you do it enough. Using premade swatches means there's a limit to how much resources texture files use up. However, their swatch system is ver inefficient and I would argue actually makes the game slower and far less customizeable than it could be.

There are many, many, many swatches that I really dislike so I don't use them, however, the game still has to load them into the game. Thus there are a lot of bloating textures in the game that do nothing except take up space. If I had the ability to create ones I like using a colorwheel or CASt, then the game would only load the ones I use instead of wasting memory on unsused swatches which would increase performance.

Moreover, if CASt was definitely not an option, TS4's system is still vastly inferior to TS2's swatch system. In TS2, object swatches come in parts so that you can choose the colors of different parts of an object individually between different swatches. For example, you can choose a bed frame color swatch and a bedding color swatch independently from a premade pool of swatches. This is highly efficient since, for example, 5 bed frame swatches and 5 bedding swatches would lead to 25 different combinations. If each of those texture files was 250kb (a ts4 texture size), then for 25 options only 2.5mb of memory would be required. Meanwhile, in TS4 texture images apply to the whole object, therefore to have the same 25 options for the same image size 6.25 mb would be required. That is 2.6 times as much memory.

It gets worse as you increase the number of options. Let's say that you also wanted different options for the pillowcase. For 5 pillow options that would lead to 125 different combination options, which would be great for the player. Image if we had that much customizability for each object. In TS2, such a bed would only take up 3.75mb, while in ts4 that would require 31.25mb or 8.3 times as much memory. This is also assuming that each texture size for ts2 and ts4 would be the same size, while since ts2 texture images have less data they'd acutally be lighter and would require even less resources.

What this means is that TS4, a game released a 10 years after TS2 is much less efficient in its use of memory which means it has to sacrifice customizability for performance -- something that TS2 did not have to sacrifice due to clever design. It's just another way that we're constrained by the developers which lead TS4 to feel like we're playing someone else's game and can never make it our own.
    Where did you find that information (the bold part in the first paragraph)? Because I can’t imagine it works like that (but if they’ve stated somewhere it does I digress). I suppose you mean in live mode (because when you don’t save a pattern you created, the game won’t remember it, nor does it have to load it). And in live mode, the game only loads patterns that are visible on your screen, not every pattern you once created with the game. I’ve never seen any difference myself where it comes to performance between a house I created myself (every single surface has had the CASt treatment) or a house with everything in premade patterns. And when you say loading, do you mean actual loading or rendering the colours?

(this on a side note; I agree Sims 2 did this better and it’s beyond me why, apart from this, Sims 4 works with so many mismatches)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Since the Sims 4 came out, I was always hoping that they'd introduce a colour wheel. I never expected a create a style tool with all the patterns and textures that came with the Sims 3 but I really wanted the ability to change the colour to anything that I wanted. It's a shame that it's not going to be a feature we'll ever get.

That said, the swatch system has grown on me over time and I quite like it, but it really needs to be improved. I'm curious to see what the new base game swatches will look like since we're getting 350 of them, I hope some of those swatches will give us more eye and hair colours.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    We definitively need more hair colors too!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    In addition to my response to @DreamaDove , this is how CASt works.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    The worst for me is the bedding being stuck to the frame nothing is more limited they really put no thought or care into players designs.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited June 2019
    I like the idea of having sets of swatches that can be used on any item of the same material: wood, cloth, stone, etc (for things like counter tops, you could choose from a couple different sets.) And I'd love to be able to mix and match two swatches on the same piece of furniture/clothing.