Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Back to your saved games?

Do you ever go back to your old backup games you preciously saved on a hard drive? Or do you start from scratch?

I don't, lol. Do you?
I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2019
    I go back to old saves when I need a picture from the time I played that generation, or just for old time’s sake. But more importantly: I return to old saves whenever I get a bug or glitch and then old saves are lifesavers. That’s not really old saves though, obviously ;) That concerns a few saves back at most.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Chi5678Chi5678 Posts: 268 Member
    I don't. I always say I'm going to then I just don't lol.
    hLhdCsO.jpg
  • Options
    ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    I usually go back a save if something didn't go to plan.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2019
    It depends. Most of the time I just need a break and it may take me a few months but I do go back to that save. Like my Carp family/LEPacy challenge is almost 9 generations in. I don't intend on dumping that save.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have several older games I revist, including my original couple. But I definitely have a greater number of old saves that I don't play. It can be difficult to remember which households use which expansions. The ones that use "big footprint" expansions that are resource-hogs like Seasons and Pets get played the least. My paleolithic laptop struggles with them.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,363 Member
    Oh yes, lots. It's so much fun to load up an old save that I don't even remember and see what was going on. It's like seeing old friends!
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I have several stories that I go back to. They are just on hold while I start a new story. So, yes, I go back to old saves all the time.
    I have one family saved in a porter file that I plan to play again when I can add all my stuff back into a new puter, whenever that might be. :)
  • Options
    KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    edited April 2019
    I never really need to go back to backup saves. The only time I faced corruption in a save, I was able to move the family using the phone to another neighborhood, so the backup save wasn't needed.

On the other hand, saves that have other families/towns I keep coming back, because each of them is kinda special. I have only two saves that I haven't played in years, from the time the game was new and I didn't even have expansions. One is the save of my simself. Currently, I'm playing with aging and story progression (all other saves, except for the one with my simself and the current one have these disabled), so I'm staying on the same save for quite a while. If I get bored, I will probably go back to my favorite family.
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
  • Options
    MadstarletMadstarlet Posts: 53 Member
    I'll go to my saved games mostly. Starting from scratch can be daunting!
    Follow the creation of the new Sims 4 Web Series Wayward Plumbobs by becoming a patron: patreon.com/waywardplumbobs.com
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I don't have old saves except for backups for emergencies. I prefer to have one or more ongoing games.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Well, it's kind of a saved game. I have a save called Sandbox that I go into to build houses or sims and every now and then I will scoop a house or household out of it for an actual game. I have used it for so long that I have almost the entire town (Riverview) filled with sims and/or houses I made. I always think I will go back to an actual save game but...I never do. So, I play around in my sandbox until I either 1. get bored 2. make something I really wanna play, lol
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got a lot of older saves I want to get back into and some I just put on hold while I play my apocalypse challenge though I have another user account on this computer and can play in my other active Sims 3 folder with legacy challenges or my 100 baby challenge.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited May 2019
    I have saves that go back to June 2009. I love going back to them occasionally and introducing those old families to all the shiny new things that are available in the game.

The other reason I like to go back to old saves is my style for making sims has changed a lot over the years and I like a big variety of sims in my games and giving my old sims, from 2009 and 2010 etc... a makeover with custom skin and hair helps me to add variety to the look of sims in my games now.

And, some old saves were games I really loved and got corrupted. Now I have mods that can fix them so I can do the necessary repairs and grab the Sims out of them for new games.

I've got the first pair of sims I ever made in my Big Game and they were in one of my recent videos.

I have made a video of Ella playing the the sprinkler for YouTube. Ella was the fifth Sim I made in 2009. I still have all 5 of them in my games.

The first two sims I made in June 2009 are a mother and daughter, Hawkins is their last name, can't remember their first names at the moment as I have hardly played them.

Then I made Patience who I refer to often and she is the matriarch of my Big Game with her 15 (now 16) children who have families of their own now. The 16th child is a son from one of the old games I opened. He is married with his family of 6 children. I can't find his siblings - I think the game got corrupt and I only managed to save him back in 2010 when I was playing it. I found that game recently and gave his family a makeover, used Master Controller to add him to Patience's family tree (she was his mother in the original game) and now Patience has 16 children in my Big Game. I'd love to find the rest of the old family but I suspect it is long gone.

Patience002.jpg
    Original version of Patience

Next came Marcie who was made to be a live in nanny to Patience in some of my earliest games.

Marcie002.jpg
    Marcie with new clothes

Just found the original Marcie from an old 2009 game.
    Marcie003.jpg

And then I made Ella to replace Marcie occasionally. More rencently I've turned Ella into a mermaid and gave her a makeover and a new name. So I've got a couple of versions of Ella running around in my Big Game.

Estelle001.jpg
    This is the original Ella turned into a mermaid. This version of her is named Estelle.

Julia002.jpg
    This is Julia. She's Ella with new makeup, skin and hair and turned into a mermaid.

Another I made as a nanny back then was Maria. She sat in my library without being used for several years before I finally married her to a son of Marcie and Marty in my Big Game. Maria is now happily the mother of 5 which will allow her to eventually get her Lifetime Wish. She and Mark live in Lucky Palms in my Big Game and their eldest son, Mike, is a friend of Oscar from Oscar's Childhood series. I don't seem to have an easy to find picture of Maria, but she is in the Oscar's Childhood videos.

Sally007.jpg
    After I made Maria I made Sally. She's been in a lot of games too. She's had a lot of babies over the years but I've always abandoned her games before they grew beyond toddlers. However, in my Big Game a few of them have made it to become children and I've discovered, so far, they seem to strongly resemble their mother.

Stephanie-Bartlett008.jpg

This is Stephanie, one of Sally's children.

After Sally I don't currently remember who I've made, but it runs into the hundreds and I have kept most, if not all of them. I have games backed up on DVD's and external hard drives. Occasionally I go looking for something and find an old game from way back and can't resist opening it and seeing who might be lurking inside.

This is Phyllis. I made her when Isla Paradiso was released. She recently got a makeover and became stunning, but this is her original version.
    PhyllisKluver001.jpg

Another old sim I pulled out of an old game is Kitty. She's probably from 2010 or 11. She was originally a member of an 8 sim household. After I gave up on playing families due to broken family trees I played households of 8 unrelated young adults for a few years. I got a lot of new sims that way as when I got tired of a household I'd make another one. I have them all, I think, and I've got the versions with skills and sometimes I have the unskilled versions too. A lot of the 'townies' I've added to my Big Game started out this way.

This is Kitty - she married an imaginary friend of one of Patience's daughters.

Kitty020.jpg9

So, in answer to your question I do keep old games and go back to them and reuse sims I find in them. I also keep my files created by doing SaveAs because when I make my videos I often have to go back and record a bit more of something for my stories.