May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disappointing traits

We have seen it before: traits don't mean enough or sometimes even NOTHING!
I had a few situations lately where I am keep being disappointed by these so called 'extreme' traits. Here are more complaints:

One of my sims had a unexpected child with a guy. It turned out, he was not only just a one-night-stand, he also hated children. But when he came over, he put the toddler to bed, red him a story and was happy because of it. I heard they might have forgot to put this traits effects on toddlers after they were patched in or it means literally 'children'. I think toddlers or any kind of small creature should be included in this. And if they forgot.. Geez! How long has it been! Aren't there enough complaints about the meaningless traits and how they effect the very basic aspect of the game?

And today, another sim of mine got into a romantic interest with a girl. Later he found out that she has commitment issues. He is the opposite of that, so I went with the drama of her eventually leaving him in the cold. He just got dumped btw. They went on a date with a fairly new friendship and a low romantic bar. In the end, they went home, woohoo'd and their friendship/romance bar was like 50/75% full. He asked her to be his girlfriend the next morning and surprisingly she said yes. Uhm.. I would expect her to say no as they arent even THAT close. Maybe with a true romantic connection, they could commit, but this was WAY too easy.

Is there EVER a situation where these traits mean something or actually show what they ment to do??? This is so boring.
Is there even a point in their relationship where she shows what that trait is all about? Probably not. They could have done SO much more with this game and traits for once.

Comments

• Options
    CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    Usually you get an uncomfortable moodlet when they do something against their traits. However, this is usually burred under a bunch of happy/flirty/energized/playful moodlets. I think these kinds moodlets are just too strong and they need to tone them down so when there is a trait inspired moodlet you actually see the effects.
    2ynjgg8.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,806 Member
    I had a few situations lately where I am keep being disappointed by these so called 'extreme' traits. Here are more complaints:

One of my sims had a unexpected child with a guy. It turned out, he was not only just a one-night-stand, he also hated children. But when he came over, he put the toddler to bed, red him a story and was happy because of it. I heard they might have forgot to put this traits effects on toddlers after they were patched in or it means literally 'children'. I think toddlers or any kind of small creature should be included in this. And if they forgot.. Geez! How long has it been! Aren't there enough complaints about the meaningless traits and how they effect the very basic aspect of the game?

And today, another sim of mine got into a romantic interest with a girl. Later he found out that she has commitment issues. He is the opposite of that, so I went with the drama of her eventually leaving him in the cold. He just got dumped btw. They went on a date with a fairly new friendship and a low romantic bar. In the end, they went home, woohoo'd and their friendship/romance bar was like 50/75% full. He asked her to be his girlfriend the next morning and surprisingly she said yes. Uhm.. I would expect her to say no as they arent even THAT close. Maybe with a true romantic connection, they could commit, but this was WAY too easy.

Is there EVER a situation where these traits mean something or actually show what they ment to do??? This is so boring.
    Is there even a point in their relationship where she shows what that trait is all about? Probably not. They could have done SO much more with this game and traits for once.

I don't know if things have change dramatically since I played Pinstar's Legacy Challenge back in 2015, but my 9th Gen. Heir fell for a Sim and she had 'commitment' issues. In fact, they did woohoo and she got preggars. I was elated (not because they put things in the wrong order) but for the fact I was now that close to finishing up the Challenge. The tenth generation only needs to be born! I decided to have my Heir 'do the right thing'. After all he did love her. He went down on his knee and proposed. Her response? She SLAPPED the ring right out of his hand! I sat back in my desk chair, stunned. This was something I hadn't seen before, nor since. But, if that's not true to a trait, I'm uncertain what is.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    What irritates me is setting an angry vibe for my Evil Empire club only for that to be buried under the happy because the hangout is nicely decorated moodlet.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2019
    Hot headed sims are suppose to get angry whenever another sim does any mischievous interaction on them. And they do, technically. They get a +1 angry moodlet which does nothing and gets easily overwritten by any other happy/focused/inspired moodlet, so they never even get to be angry. Not to mention that either way, angry or not, they always get positive relationship points from mischievous interactions so it doesn't even matter. It's laughable how awful traits work in the game.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited May 2019

I don't know if things have change dramatically since I played Pinstar's Legacy Challenge back in 2015, but my 9th Gen. Heir fell for a Sim and she had 'commitment' issues. In fact, they did woohoo and she got preggars. I was elated (not because they put things in the wrong order) but for the fact I was now that close to finishing up the Challenge. The tenth generation only needs to be born! I decided to have my Heir 'do the right thing'. After all he did love her. He went down on his knee and proposed. Her response? She SLAPPED the ring right out of his hand! I sat back in my desk chair, stunned. This was something I hadn't seen before, nor since. But, if that's not true to a trait, I'm uncertain what is.

Not really going to propose to her to give meaning to her trait :p If they have commitment issues, It should also show on relationships. I wished she would have said NO and my sim could be sad for a day and move on again. Now, i am kind of stuck as she keeps flirting with him and their relationship gets stronger each day even though I do not feel this is the way she should be. She comes of a bit mean from time to time, but thats it. I wish the uncomfortable emotions would have more effect on their relationship to a point where my sims can ask if she wants to break up or stay together.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I don't consider traits useless as I do find my sims behave differently and in ways true to their characters (this could be partly due to my own imagination too though. Plus vampires seem to have a lot of personality thanks to their powers/weaknesses - I really have to work to keep my poor vamp happy rather than very sad or tense). However, I do feel that some traits work better than others, and I have to agree that personalities/emotions could really do with improvement to make traits have more impact and feel more distinct. Right now sims are way too happy, which often overshadows everything else, and hardly ever just 'fine'. I can understand that sims might feel happy in nicely decorated surroundings, particularly if they're a snob, but surely no more than +1. I would also like more trait idle animations like how Dance Machine sims sometimes do their cute little jigs. I want sims to really look and behave how they should a lot more.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Some traits do have some effect - Sims with the outdoorsy trait don't get tense during thunderstorms, and loners do get tense around strangers (though that moodlet often gets overriden by other stuff). Every once in a while, I come across something funky - my 'snob' Sim did not take part in the Harvestfest tradition of giving thanks. (She was able to do the action, but it didn't count toward completing the holiday. It didn't count against her, either, however - she still had a good holiday.) A Sim with a mixture of 'neat' and 'squeamish' gets quite upset when cleaning.

I think it's more the core personality traits that don't have enough effect, particularly in interaction with other Sims. Certain interactions simply shouldn't be possible, with or without autonomy, unless a relationship is either very good or very bad. (Or, perhaps you could make your Sim do something against their personality, with the appropriate 'tense' moodlet popping up afterward, but it would be blocked for Sims acting autonomously. I once had a Sim teen sitting on her bed, having a pleasant conversation with her mother, with whom she had a very good relationship. She did not have a 'hot headed' or 'evil' trait, and she wasn't going through a phase. Nonetheless, the 'fight' interaction suddenly popped up in her queue. I cancelled it right off, but it should never have come up.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited May 2019
    Vegetarian also doesnt do anything to a vampire, also Glutton vampire still autonomously crave for solid food instead of plasma but they ended up throwing it up if they have that vampire weakness, I remembered in sims 3 even by having vegetarian trait drinking from sim will make them sick.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    I think for the “hates children” trait it means they hate other’s children, not their own. And the non-committed trait, I have a sim that is happily married, but absolutely hates his job because of his obligation to it and he gets the “committal stress” moodlet almost every day he gets home from work.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,209 Member
    Sadly, there are only very few traits that actually make a difference. Some others may look great, but barely do anything, still others are unnecessarily restricted. Take Clumsy, for example: "These sims tend to fail more often at physical activities." I have two clumsy sims in my save that I have never seen fail at anything any more than others, but apart from that, why is it limited to physical activities? There's plenty of other stuff sims could fail at. Can you imagine the drama if some klutz accidentally dropped a toddler? I would laugh my behind off!

Then there's the emotional traits. Yes, a random moodlet every now and then is nice, but given how easy it is to get a sim into a specific emotion (unless it's a negative one, then you have to get rid of all the positive moodlets first), there should be more to it. Creative sims should have a higher chance of creating high quality works of art, regardless of their current mood. Geniuses should learn skills faster, rather than that being a separate trait tied to an aspiration. Getting ridiculously happy just because of a pretty painting and other trivial things should be exclusive to cheerful sims. And there should be an additional trait called "Balanced" or something, that occasionally gives a Fine moodlet and makes sims' emotions in general less fickle.
  • Options
    Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    I think the trait system needs an overhaul. None of them matter. Though I also think Sims 4 needs an overhaul in general tbh.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,500 Member
    They need to change the default state to Fine and get rid of the superficial happy moodlets so that trait-related buffs can be more accurate. I really hate the emotion system in general and it never should have been programmed as the predominant personality feature over Traits. I wish they would just put the time into overhauling the whole thing so that traits and related behaviors (not just moodlets) are always prioritized.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2019
    LiELF wrote: »
    They need to change the default state to Fine and get rid of the superficial happy moodlets so that trait-related buffs can be more accurate. I really hate the emotion system in general and it never should have been programmed as the predominant personality feature over Traits. I wish they would just put the time into overhauling the whole thing so that traits and related behaviors (not just moodlets) are always prioritized.

If they at least just increased the value of some of the trait moodlets and adjusted for emotional deaths, it would make the it somewhat better, more noticeable, but not even that.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    They just never updated the trait for toddlers. It's just like it says: They hate children. Not toddlers, not teens. Children.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,596 Member
    edited May 2019
    Traits have been like that since the Sims 3. Some has some more depth than others and some are just pretty useless to lacking. And others function as they should as they're kept simple for the most part. Don't mind simple traits, but I would like to see more traits with sims showing it in their behavior. Idle animations, etc.

Personally enjoyed the point system in the Sims and Sims 2 that felt like sims had a better varying personality. A few traits need to be updated and there just needs to be some more traits. (Feel like most of the more simple one should just be in the reward store.)

I don't need traits to be heavily impactful or anything on a sim, just that I know that sim has said trait. The paranoid trait that came with strangerville is a good one as the sim is usually looking around, fingers twitching and pretty much shows their paranoia. Even had one sim accuse mine of spying and got into an argument basically over nothing. I also like the squeamish trait. Sims getting grossed out by their surroundings and shaking their hands when they see something gross or cleaning up. Always washing their hands. I noticed clicking on said sim when they're very uncomfortable they can actually start breathing heavily in and out to calm themselves down never knew they could do that and I had outdoor retreat since it came out. Then the unflirty trait works as it does as my sim seems to fail pretty hard at flirting and majority of flirting to the sim tends to fail or just makes them uncomfortable. Not to mention they'll make a big fuss if other sims are showing PDA in front of them. My sim autonomously reprimanded another and got into a argument that got both parties all huffy.

The quirk system that came with GF is actually really good in giving sims some more flaws.

5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    What irritates me is setting an angry vibe for my Evil Empire club only for that to be buried under the happy because the hangout is nicely decorated moodlet.

This.
    Basically if you are not locked into a basement with zero furniture, your default state will always be HAPPPYYYYYYYYYYY!!! overriding ALL other "emotions" 95% of the time.

Oh, coming home from work totally stressed out... Opens front door... and the nicely decorated hallway pushes the stress away. I mean great for the Sim, I guess, but it kind of makes the whole "Emotions" thing completely pointless.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited May 2019
    Oh gosh... Each traits are disappointing! Cold sims get flirty easily. Neat sim are not bothered by dirty sims. Hot headed are not angry at the right time. Flirty sims are boring and don't get something special. Hate children doesn't seem to be concerned when learning a baby will come. Foodie don't get any special recipes. Bookworm prefer computers instead of books. Clumsy sims don't have anything special in gameplay except a few animations. And I could keep going...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I think Sims need a serious deep personality system and the best of all sims series with new additions that we asked for and would for a more realistic world of diversity, life paths, daily choices etc.

Traits would be nicer if they worked in opposites, so u can choose one or the other instead of just a few. The attraction system is a must as well! The level of intelligence, empathy, social skills, physics could be determined like TS1 with points. Traits are now a mix of all kinds of personality tags that are not necessarily traits and I know the devs are aware of this.
    And memories! They bring life into my sims personality and a purpose to their life. Whatever they did or want to do have consequences. We need more of these as well and traits should effect this in an easier or harder way for sims.

I honestly dont feel enough from the parenthood addition either. I have sims with good manners, but there is not much to do with it other then introducing themselves politely to others which does what exactly? Not enough effects and consequences!
  • Options
    Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member

Yup, everything just feels lackluster. Few things feel fleshed out when it comes to the actual sims. Romance (if you can even call it that) is way too easy in this game. In my opinion it would be great if relationships, both romantic and friendships, where based on likes/dislikes or favourite things, turn ons/offs etc. Traits are terrible, they don't seem to do much if anything at all. Some cheap furniture is all it takes for a happy sim and it seems to override everything else.

As for the hates children trait, if it is only specific to children and not applied to toddlers, why after so much time?... well that just says it all doesn't it. The sims in this game are in desperate need of actual personality. It's been 4+ years and even though they advertise unique personalities on EA store page, this still isn't a gameplay feature.

Doesn't matter how many expansion packs they add, or pretty white shelves, the sims will continue to feel like you are playing with cardboard until they actually add in features to give them some life.

• Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    > @Corenren said:
    > Usually you get an uncomfortable moodlet when they do something against their traits. However, this is usually burred under a bunch of happy/flirty/energized/playful moodlets. I think these kinds moodlets are just too strong and they need to tone them down so when there is a trait inspired moodlet you actually see the effects.

I would say more than the happier moodlets being toned down, the more negative or trait-dependent moodlets should be made stronger. I wouldn't say any trait is "useless", but some choices become negligible when you can overrule any tense or uncomfortable (or angry or sad or whatever) moodlets a sim gets with a nicely decorated room and some complements. Hot-headed sims don't get angry enough, gloomy sims aren't as sad as they should be, and it is ENTIRELY too easy to woo an unflirty sim. I'd just like to see some of these traits get beefed up so they actually have a chance at impacting your sim's behavior or personality.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Yeah I don't think it's so much that the traits are useless, it's the environment buffs overriding them that makes them seem pointless. I either try to keep decorations down to a minimum or if it gets too much, I use a mod to remove the nicely decorated buffs (or I think that's what it did, I haven't used it for a while).
  • Options
    Sky97Sky97 Posts: 19 Member
    Jealous is annoying because if their significant other even goes to work they get negative moodlets.
  • Options
    MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 102 Member
    It would be great if they could expand/limit the social interactions each sim has access to depending on their traits.
  • Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    Finvola wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think it's so much that the traits are useless, it's the environment buffs overriding them that makes them seem pointless. I either try to keep decorations down to a minimum or if it gets too much, I use a mod to remove the nicely decorated buffs (or I think that's what it did, I haven't used it for a while).

I use this mod too! I highly recommend it to all, it really lets my sims feel, sometimes a bit to much if you ask me! xD (and its works with the latest patch have it in right now)
    http://modthesims.info/d/591054/no-happy-environment-moodlets.html
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Traits are useless- my evil sim got a good reputation on his own and was friendly to everybody, giving out hugs and telling jokes constantly. Traits are nothing more than a moodlet.