Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Child Looks Nothing Like Parents?

takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
SooOoOooo...
I'm playing the decades challenge and the firstborn child of my current family (and therefore the heir, so he's pretty important) just aged up into a teen. His parents are both really cute so I was super confused to see him turn out so weird! He has none of their features except for eye color, hair color and skin color. His eyes and upper lip are weirdly huge and everything is out of proportion. It's not just that their features don't mix well, but the kid actually has different features! I played with their genetics a ton in cas to make sure this wasn't natural. None of the results looked anything close to this.
Here's a picture of mom and dad, plus a male clone of mom so you can compare features:
q3WRNW4.png?1cKwD3OS.png?1
VrDeljf.png?10qkyMcL.png?2
UU23TKV.png?1 (mom's male clone)

And here's the oddity himself:
3IXn85S.png?3avIwQp3.png?1
Plus this weird thing happens when I age him up to a YA in cas... his entire face moves up. Never seen that before.
sD1Q1m0.png?2

Thoughts? The couple has had 2 other kids and both of them turned out as expected. This guy is the anomaly. I did have some cas cc (added presets) around the time that his parents got married, but I'm sure I removed them before he was conceived. Maybe not though. Could that really have effected him? Idk.

Comments

• Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited May 2019
    He has dad's chin and jawline.
    Looks like dad's lip preset with the thickness and curve of mom's upper lip. Bottom lip isn't as wide as dad's, similar to the width of mom's.
    Tip of the nose looks like dad's from the side, but the bridge is straighter like the mom's.
    From the front, the nose looks like it might be mom's preset with the bridge shaped similar to dad's, but narrower.
    Looks like he has dad's eye shape based off the undereye bags (unless those are cc), but they're wider/larger in size so he probably inherited that from mom. Her male clone has kinda wide eyes too.

IDK how/if removing those mods affected his genetics, but he looks like the child of his parents to me, even if he looks a bit silly.
    I sometimes like to randomize children for my couples in CAS out of curiosity before having them in-game, and a lot of times the children born in-game are more diverse looking than the ones CAS came up with.
    Like any other Sim you randomize in CAS, I think the game just likes to use a lot of the same presets over and over again.

Have you looked at which preset features he actually has in CAS and compared them to his parents?
    Post edited by thatsnotsweg on
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Maybe genetics came from his grandparents, it's possible in sims4 as well as previous games.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I don't think they are too much off their parents? Nose profile looks a bit off, but it seems parents has some extreme features, so maybe game is playing a bit different with those.

I recall in TS3, sims born in game could get genetics from grandparents. When creating a couple in CAS I always created their parents, in order to control the second set of genes. If a sim's parents were not known, the game would typically add a random set just to give each sim a set of 2 variations. I have no idea if this is valid for TS4.

Btw, I had some kids born with hair color different from both parents, so I assume the game occasionally throws in a random DNA... It's not happening often, though.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Maybe genetics came from his grandparents, it's possible in sims4 as well as previous games.

Who said that?
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    It looks to me like the parents have the same nose preset (male/ female version of the same nose) so technically the child should inherit the same nose also as you mentioned the lips are off, looks like a completely different preset and not a mix of the parents at all. You could check in cas. But if I remember correctly don't you play generational? Isn't it possible that a grandparent of the child has looks that might have been passed down to him?
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    edited May 2019
    He has dad's chin and jawline.
    Looks like dad's lip preset with the thickness and curve of mom's upper lip. Bottom lip isn't as wide as dad's, similar to the width of mom's.
    Tip of the nose looks like dad's from the side, but the bridge is straighter like the mom's.
    From the front, the nose looks like it might be mom's preset with the bridge shaped similar to dad's, but narrower.
    Looks like he has dad's eye shape based off the undereye bags (unless those are cc), but they're wider/larger in size so he probably inherited that from mom. Her male clone has kinda wide eyes too.

IDK how/if removing those mods affected his genetics, but he looks like the child of his parents to me, even if he looks a bit silly.
    I sometimes like to randomize children for my couples in CAS out of curiosity before having them in-game, and a lot of times the children born in-game are more diverse looking than the ones CAS came up with.
    Like any other Sim you randomize in CAS, I think the game just likes to use a lot of the same presets over and over again.

Have you looked at which preset features he actually has in CAS and compared them to his parents?

Thanks for all this! None of the presets I checked (mouth, nose, eyes) match either of his parents'. I never thought that removing the downloaded presets could have this effect. I haven't done much research into how the game does genetics, but it seems to me that he's just too far off. I compared him as a female, too, with no avail. I tweaked his features a little and a lot of them look very similar to his parents when they're altered, but they're not the same at all. I can see where your comparisons are coming from for sure though. Does the fact that he has different presets than his parents mean that the genetics are a result of something else? I don't know how that works.
    if I remember correctly don't you play generational? Isn't it possible that a grandparent of the child has looks that might have been passed down to him?

Here are some pictures of his grandparents (on mom's side). I created the dad so genetic grandparents on that side don't exist. His great-grandparents are in my profile pic, but that might be too far back.

VSjkZ04.png?1Ia7LB6I.png?1

It seems unlikely to me that he inherited much of this look from them. To me he doesn't look like them at all. I might be wrong though! I'm no expert on genetics in this game, just thought he came out looking strange.

I ended up actually replacing the guy with a sim I created in cas using the play with genetics tool. However it happened, I think he was too alien looking to keep in my world :# I have nothing against unique/ugly sims, but this one was too much for me.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Perhaps it's part inherited genetics, part random mutation, but I can definitely see a resemblance between him and his parents and grandparents. I would just tweak his side profile etc. a little until you're happy with him. :)
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited May 2019
    83bienchen wrote: »
    izecson wrote: »

Who said that?

My experience, have brown eyed parents, and tan-skinned mother, and a grandmother with blue eyes, a child of them has her mother's skin and hair color except the eyes, which is her grandmother.
    ihavemultiplegamertags