Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode: Basements After Terrain Tools ?

How do you add a basement on to a previous built house with a raised foundation, without getting terrain outcropping?

When I try to add on a basement, following the footprint of the building above, the terrain bulges out. This leaves an unsightly look to the foundation as well as disrupts the landscaping. It works Ok when the level of the building and the terrain are the same.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution?

(Bear with me. I'm a noob when it comes to screenshots and attachements)

I tried to attaché an image but wasn't sucessful.

Comments

• Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    Did you add the basement after raising the terrain? If so maybe flatten the terrain to its original position and then re-add the basement. So far I’ve only built above ground basements, which afterwards I would raise the terrain to make my builds look like they are atop a hill.
  • Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Try lowering the foundation then put in the basement. You should then be able to raise the foundation back up and there should be no bulges.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    You could drag the basement down a bit. You do that the same way you raise/lower the foundation.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    37fz4mw.png

This is what I'm refering to in the original post.
  • Options
    ShadyLady_DQShadyLady_DQ Posts: 476 Member
    Try staring with the basement tool on an open area of terrain that is the level at which you want the basement. Then drag the basement under the house. It should add the “filler” level when you place the stairs like when building basements under house foundations before terrain tools. Hopes this helps!
  • Options
    eFbpcIi.png?1

This is what I'm trying to get rid of or avoid causing. The sloped terrain along the foundation. I've tried using the terrain tool but it didn't work to flatten the ground next to the raised foundation.
  • Options
    LibertyTheFreeLibertyTheFree Posts: 234 Member
    edited April 2019
    Have you tried plopping the room somewhere else, like mid-air, and move it to the underground levels? That can make the basement effectively a seperate building from the those on the ground level if my memory serves.
    AxxYIX4.png
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I have had this problem. When it happens, click down to the basement, click the room to highlight it, click back to the ground level, locate and grab the basement foundation arrow/box and lower the basement back down until the ground is flat again.

I wouldn't bother removing the foundation, it's not the problem. Basements are added directly to the underside of the ground floor. Just add the basement to a existing build and (if the ground is sloped) just lower the basement.
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    Yup, just lowering the basement works everytime. Sometimes it takes a couple of clicks to eliminate the elevated ground.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I lowered the basement and everything is fine. :)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    mebagl15 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I lowered the basement and everything is fine. :)

Happy to hear it. :)
  • Options
    HeidiGrrrlHeidiGrrrl Posts: 122 Member
    Well, that is a great big heaping helping of awesome sauce! I've been wondering how to fix that, myself! Thanks, guys! :)
  • Options
    HansenHansen Posts: 22 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I have had this problem. When it happens, click down to the basement, click the room to highlight it, click back to the ground level, locate and grab the basement foundation arrow/box and lower the basement back down until the ground is flat again.

I wouldn't bother removing the foundation, it's not the problem. Basements are added directly to the underside of the ground floor. Just add the basement to a existing build and (if the ground is sloped) just lower the basement.

Thank you :smiley: