Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Parenthood: Gaining Responsibility?

SarriakaSarriaka Posts: 707 Member
Hey! In my game, it seems like everything I do affects responsibility, but in a negative way? It's not always when I do something that should impact the character values either—I can have kids literally sitting there and watching television, and somehow that's making them irresponsible. It's gotten to the point where I have two toddlers with 100% negative responsibility, without doing much other than babble to their parents (and no, they haven't made a mess yet, this is a brand new save/family). I haven't found anything about it online, and I've read that responsibility is one of the easier values to influence but I'm just... struggling, lol.

Is there a way for me to change this? Is it just because they're toddlers (and therefore, can't be responsible for anything), and do I have to wait until they're children to rectify it? Is this a bug? Any help would be appreciated. I don't have any mods installed, so that can't be the issue.

Comments

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I know my teens (and presumably children too) gain responsibility when doing their homework
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Neia wrote: »
    I know my teens (and presumably children too) gain responsibility when doing their homework

Do you have any insight on toddlers? I'm not up to the child/teen stage yet.
  • Options
    Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm also having a similar issue with my toddler, I taught him how to say sorry once, and ever since that moment, he's been constantly gaining positive conflict resolution, even when sleeping. He's already maxed out and it's kind of ironic because I wanted him to grow up to be mean and evil.

I do have mods installed, but if people are experiencing this without mods, then I'm not sure its the mods' fault.

EDIT: After saving, exiting, and reopening my game, it appears that it was only a visual bug. The toddler's conflict resolution is back to where it should be.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    ALways test without mods. It's very possible that this is mod related
    Sim2Spore wrote: »
    I'm also having a similar issue with my toddler, I taught him how to say sorry once, and ever since that moment, he's been constantly gaining positive conflict resolution, even when sleeping. He's already maxed out and it's kind of ironic because I wanted him to grow up to be mean and evil.

I do have mods installed, but if people are experiencing this without mods, then I'm not sure its the mods' fault.

Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    EDIT: After saving, exiting, and reopening my game, it appears that it was only a visual bug. The toddler's conflict resolution is back to where it should be.

I opened my game to check if it's the case for me, and it turns out it is! What a relief; I was beginning to think I'm a bad parent. :D
  • Options
    KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    I'm not entirely sure if there is a way for a toddler to anything to *increase* their responsibility, which is kinda crappy if that's the case. When I hover my mouse over the info on the responsibility section, it says that it can be increased by doing homework, cleaning up toys, taking out trash, etc. which are all things for children and teens to do.
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    It's broken.

These things can increase/decrease when a toddler is sleeping.

They can also reset - ie you lose all of the green progress.
  • Options
    Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    KHS12 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure if there is a way for a toddler to anything to *increase* their responsibility, which is kinda plum if that's the case. When I hover my mouse over the info on the responsibility section, it says that it can be increased by doing homework, cleaning up toys, taking out trash, etc. which are all things for children and teens to do.

Toddlers can gain responsibility when you discipline them for doing "bad" things like splashing in the toilet or making a mess on the floor.
  • Options
    KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    KHS12 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure if there is a way for a toddler to anything to *increase* their responsibility, which is kinda plum if that's the case. When I hover my mouse over the info on the responsibility section, it says that it can be increased by doing homework, cleaning up toys, taking out trash, etc. which are all things for children and teens to do.

Toddlers can gain responsibility when you discipline them for doing "bad" things like splashing in the toilet or making a mess on the floor.

Good to know!
  • Options
    cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    Having the toddler put toys away raises their responsibility
  • Options
    RedRoxannRedRoxann Posts: 32 Member
    > @cornflake88 said:
    > Having the toddler put toys away raises their responsibility

Indeed. I purposely pulled all the toys out of the toy box and had them scattered around the room. Then I had the toddler put them all away which raised responsibility. However, it's so easy to level responsibility through the child and teen life stages that it's sort of irrelevant.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sarriaka wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »

Do you have any insight on toddlers? I'm not up to the child/teen stage yet.

I don't worry too much about toddlers and responsibility -- I start in earnest when they hit childhood with making sure they get their homework done, setting the table and other tasks. I actually saw one of my Sim kids setting the table autonomously when he was playing at my other family's house.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited June 2017

I don't worry too much about toddlers and responsibility -- I start in earnest when they hit childhood with making sure they get their homework done, setting the table and other tasks. I actually saw one of my Sim kids setting the table autonomously when he was playing at my other family's house.

Same here......toddlers don't get enough gain or loss to make much difference.
    Post edited by JimG72 on
  • Options
    AspitzAspitz Posts: 1 New Member
    I lay toys out on the ground from the toy chest and make my toddler pick them up. It raises my toddlers responsibility.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hi there! It's awesome you're posting what worked for you but considering this thread has been inactive since 2017 I'm going to go ahead and close it off. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top