Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like separate clothes layers ? (Instead of top and jacket/sweater combos)

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,212 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    That's true. The long-sleeved shirt accessory I mentioned in my first post is in the gloves category and cannot be used together with other gloves, but doesn't cause any texture conflicts with normal upper body garments. So I guess this could be solved by just adding another category?
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don’t really mind.
    That's true. The long-sleeved shirt accessory I mentioned in my first post is in the gloves category and cannot be used together with other gloves, but doesn't cause any texture conflicts with normal upper body garments. So I guess this could be solved by just adding another category?
    Which is where the difficulty comes in- because "adding a new category" means adding space to the texture map to allow room for this new category of items; effectively changing the groundwork of the entire CAS clothing system.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes I’d love it!
    @Cupid Not necessarily, but it probably depends on the mesh. I've turned some tight-fitting full-body outfits into pants so I could make sims wear them under a jacket, and nothing ever overlapped. And it's the same with those undershirt gloves. This is their texture map:

gloves1u2j5k.jpg

And this is what the accessory looks like in the game, paired with normal upper body garments:

gloves2vpj0k.jpg

The textures are technically in the same place on the map, but not overlapping in the game. And as I said before, even I managed to do something like that, even though I'm a total noob when it comes to modding. So I'm sure if they really wanted, they could do it...
  • Options
    I don’t really mind.
    @Cupid Not necessarily, but it probably depends on the mesh. I've turned some tight-fitting full-body outfits into pants so I could make sims wear them under a jacket, and nothing ever overlapped. And it's the same with those undershirt gloves. This is their texture map:

The textures are technically in the same place on the map, but not overlapping in the game. And as I said before, even I managed to do something like that, even though I'm a total noob when it comes to modding. So I'm sure if they really wanted, they could do it...

The problem of texture incompatibility I'm describing is more related to when people create new types of items and map the textures onto the existing spaces.
    flachPr.png?1

This isn't a matter of someone simply needing to be motivated to do something. There's no space for anything that space has not been made for already. Unless this system is redone or expanded, incompatibilities are inevitable. And changing this would, at this point, require changing everything.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    Cupid wrote: »
    Cupid wrote: »
    ... the entire clothes system needed to be designed with it in mind.

It'd certainly make for a great new stuff pack! :)

There's no universe where that is stuffpack-level work. The texture mapping system would need to be redone and all the CAS objects as well :/

Why not? If modders can do it why not EA?

Modders do this by taking a clothing item and simply changing its slot assignment. This results in you being unable to use the original slot for its intended purpose, and also results in texture incompatibilities, as well as clipping. This "works" for people who use CC and are already expecting incompatibilities or inconsistencies in what they're downloading. It's not going to work for a company with standards of quality that need to be maintained.

Sooo, why can’t EA just make new slot assignments? Just add an official “Jacket” category to accessories? Also not all CC clips, some are really well made.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    Yes I’d love it!
    @AquaGamer1212 Cupid just explained it to me in the previous posts. The texture map is full, and having the textures of various different clothes / accessoires in the same spot might cause issues, as seen with some CC that becomes weirdly textured when used together with some other stuff. For more categories to be added, the map would have to be expanded, and that's probably too much work for too little gain.

I still don't understand perfectly how this works, as I've sometimes managed to trick the system with my own CC, but maybe it's a hit-and-miss thing and prone to bugs. And if there's one thing we don't need more of in this game, it's bugs. Sucks, but... eh. :/
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    @AquaGamer1212 Cupid just explained it to me in the previous posts. The texture map is full, and having the textures of various different clothes / accessoires in the same spot might cause issues, as seen with some CC that becomes weirdly textured when used together with some other stuff. For more categories to be added, the map would have to be expanded, and that's probably too much work for too little gain.

I still don't understand perfectly how this works, as I've sometimes managed to trick the system with my own CC, but maybe it's a hit-and-miss thing and prone to bugs. And if there's one thing we don't need more of in this game, it's bugs. plum, but... eh. :/

Yeah I understood all that. But have the gurus said it was impossible to do? I mean if it works alright while in a random slot, it could possibly work while in its own slot.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    I don’t really mind.
    Yeah I understood all that. But have the gurus said it was impossible to do? I mean if it works alright while in a random slot, it could possibly work while in its own slot.
    Nobody said it was impossible, not even me. I'm just explaining why such a system is far more complex than it seems externally. I think it's a good idea for TS5, but I think it'd be a complete waste of resources for TS4. And the game really does not seem to have the resources to spare.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    XwantonXwanton Posts: 85 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    I don't expect this would ever come to TS4, but they really should consider it for TS5. I agree with who brought up Saints Row 2 - I think it worked really well there. It allowed for a lot of versatility (and it had lots of colour options instead of a couple of swatches). That game also has a gender slider, which is something else I'd love to see.
  • Options
    Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    This would be great, I'm sure The Sims 2 console version had this feature and it was great.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 974 Member
    edited April 2019
    Yes I’d love it!
    Yeah, that's why I have a few CC accessory jackets and shirts installed. It's not perfect, but it's a decent option if you use mods.

I don't really expect EA to implement it at this point, but if TS5 ever happens, it would be a neat feature to have.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    Absolutely. The ability to use any hat on any hairstyle was a great improvement. I’d love to see them doing that to layers of clothing in a next iteration (could imagine it’s not possible in Sims 4).
    5JZ57S6.png