Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Updated*Aspirations: love them or hate them?

N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
SORRY TO POST AGAIN BUT MY OTHER POLL POSTED BEFORE I HAD IT READY

Sorry if this has been done before (I didn't see one). I know aspirations have been discussed but I'm curious what the numbers would look like. Feel free to elaborate!

Add a general "other" if you need.... couldn't fit it into the poll.
19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr

*Updated*Aspirations: love them or hate them? 153 votes

I love aspirations! It adds an extra challenge.
18%
joelygirlsims2BloosmooIrdiwenkerryemmiebethDJQ1308robyngravesmock68Scarbo27duhboy2u2SimplyToriboredbeauty111LindsaySeddon1SekrilChadSims2Karababy52HermioneGranger73ccarrig_95RexZhengFeisbukaitemunroele 29 votes
I love aspirations! I need the rewards.
2%
MLadyAzzeraKementariPotterheadSimOldGeekWoman 4 votes
I love aspirations! Reasons #1&2
22%
Frn0731icmnfrshGalacticGalMartinvSimpatsyannCorkysPetalsStrangerthaninvisiblgirlMsShaShaMindofyKirbySkywalkerN0NoTToN0NSimplyJenChelleJoMoonfoxNightcryannaliese39mariajane216DoloresGreygoldann25ImSands 35 votes
I hate aspirations! Aspiration Rewards feel like cheating.
0%
Bagoas77 1 vote
I hate aspirations! It destroys the sandbox feel.
1%
MidnightAuraNorthDakotaGamer 2 votes
I hate aspirations!: Reasons #4&5.
0%
I like/don't mind aspirations. Sometimes I take advantage of the points.
34%
Akl500Pjeepjeepcatalan650111jeLlyBeAn1573rudolphaVibsesimm621Thunderbat87Mizz_TriceyDESERTFLOWER1981JestTrurosehrtgirlloubyloulouzagboorulesChanty25Bugginbabs78FroilClassicalSimjripliePinkJellyBeans 53 votes
I don't care. I don't pay attention to them.
11%
julienrob2004Colorist40MeteoraStormsekojranataydevfallenangel66DevilNDisguisefiercephoenix91So_MoneyAkramAAkiraAnubiseCupidbirdonawireRae357LaneBoy1995MaiaPlaysSimsGlacierSnow 17 votes
Other, Love....
5%
asimbsimbobbyjo727jupkmnrambahadoergarapoesEvie0602WolfiumKalopsianDreamer[Deleted User] 9 votes
Other, Hate...
1%
SavvySimmieSigzy05catmando830 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I just voted on the other one, but I'll vote here again.
    It really depends on what I'm doing in my save whether I focus on aspirations or not. And if I need the reward items, I usually cheat to unlock it. I don't think I've ever cheated reward points to buy traits. I do buy reward traits when I have enough points though.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    I just voted on the other one, but I'll vote here again.
    It really depends on what I'm doing in my save whether I focus on aspirations or not. And if I need the reward items, I usually cheat to unlock it. I don't think I've ever cheated reward points to buy traits. I do buy reward traits when I have enough points though.

Thanks, sorry about that... My tablet's been glitchy and posted it before I had it the way I wanted somehow. So weird. I wish we could delete our own posts.
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Definitely a fan of aspirations, especially in this version of the sims since you can switch between all of them. That was a feature I wanted all the way back in the TS2 days.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Other, Love....
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    bobbyjo727bobbyjo727 Posts: 118 Member
    Other, Love....
    The Sims has aspiration since Sims 2...so I haven’t known it any other way. We all have aspirations so it adds realism to the game. Now adding in the goals and tasks to get there that’s another story...
  • Options
    bobbyjo727 wrote: »
    The Sims has aspiration since Sims 2...so I haven’t known it any other way. We all have aspirations so it adds realism to the game. Now adding in the goals and tasks to get there that’s another story...

Yeah, maybe I should have specified the TS4 aspiration system.
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    Other, Love....
    I do really love aspirations because they sort of set out the map of my sims life. I use them to guide who my sim is, what's going to drive them during their life, and what their values etc are. BUT, I'm not a huge fan of the TS4 aspirations, because I feel like they are quite niche and specific and don't give me a huge amount of variety. I LOVED the ones from TS2 and TS3, especially the tinkerer ones, and I'd love to see more of those aspirations in TS4, there just aren't enough yet to make my sims more individual.
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I like it in that it gives me something to do. I’m a very goal-oriented player, so when I’m not playing a challenge with specific guidelines (example: Not So Berry Challenge), I default to maxing my sim’s career and completing their aspiration before I consider that sim’s life ‘complete.’

I do find it tedious at times though. For example, I really dislike one of the first objectives for the Whiz Kid aspiration. It requires you to have an adult read to the child for two hours, which sounds easy enough, but oftentimes, the adult sim starts reading before the child is even there to listen, and they stop after a few moments to get up and put the book all the way back in the bookshelf so that you have to queue the action up again for them to continue reading to the child, rinse and repeat about 4ish times. It’s really obnoxious.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I love aspirations! It adds an extra challenge.
    I like aspirations as it gives variety to my households because they're all working on different goals. Too much sandbox with no goals would get boring quickly.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I hate aspirations! It destroys the sandbox feel.
    I do not purposely ever finish any aspiration. If I complete one, it is purely by accident. I do not really see any benefit to completing them as all it does is fill the "trait panel." You can get just as many points if not more by performing the wants that pop up, which I rarely do as well. I just play for fun and not for a goal.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited April 2019
    I think the aspirations themselves are mostly fine. The problem is that there isn't anything useful to be done with the satisfaction points apart from glorified cheating. I also think they're poorly balanced in that some of the easier ones give extremely powerful reward traits, and some of the harder ones provide a very insignificant reward.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    Really loved them in TS2 and TS3 (especially the immense variety in TS3), but they're way too easy in TS4. In previous games it usually took me a whole lifetime to finish one aspiration/lifetime wish. Nowadays I can easily finish multiple ones in one life stage (!), so I completed most of them so many times that I don't really bother with them anymore. I always welcome new ones though.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited April 2019
    I really like the aspirations and their reward/bonus traits. It helps keep things interesting and also adds personality/story to sims. I do tend to prefer some over others though and they are not my main focus when it comes to gameplay. Sometimes I even choose an aspiration purely for the bonus trait I want my sim to have, but if the goals don't fit my sim's story then I either ignore it or change it to something more in keeping. So, for example one of my sims has the Domestic trait, but currently has the Soulmate and Outdoor Enthusiast aspirations on the go rather than his CAS aspiration which was Big Happy Family since I can't see him having more than one or two children. Likewise my vampire sim has the Quick Learner trait since he's very intelligent, but actually achieved the Good Vampire aspiration first - Gregarious just didn't suit him as he's more of an introverted character.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    To me, aspirations are fundamental building blocks of my sims' personalities, and I always choose them with care. Most of the time I even have more than one in mind for every sim and keep switching back and forth between them, depending on what that sim is currently doing. They can feel like chores sometimes, but some of the reward traits you get for completing them (like the one that keeps your food from spoiling, or the one that lets you produce emotional pieces of art independent of your current mood) are entirely worth it.

That being said, however, I find that they vary greatly in terms of quality. The Soulmate aspiration, for example, comes across like something the developers tacked on at the last minute to give romantic players an alternative to sleeping around, the main objectives being going on dates and spamming romantic interactions until you get a reward trait that makes it easier to solve conflicts with your partner - in a game where conflict is pretty much non-existent unless you're really pushing for it. The music aspiration is terribly imbalanced, with the first two milestones being laughably easy to complete and the third suddenly requiring stuff you can only do when you've almost mastered an instrument.

I also wish there were more aspirations. Yes, that may sound weird considering that TS2 only had five or six of them and I was completely fine with it back then, but with the way they work in TS4, I think a lot more could be done with them. One related to wellness or owning businesses for example, or seasons - I'm really surprised that didn't happen, it would have been so easy to come up with tasks for a seasons-related aspiration that turns you into some kind of weather wizard once completed. Well, that train has left the station because Seasons has been out for almost a year now, but I'm still keeping my hopes up for more fun aspirations in the future.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Same vote. My response from the other thread. :)
    I used to pay attention to aspirations. Now that my main save has grown so much and with all the generations/amount of Sims I’ve played, they just bore me. I try to pick the one that fits my Sim’s personality best, at least, for the trait that comes along with it, but I never focus on them afterwards.

I would say that I just take advantage of the points, but I don’t do that anymore either. I can easily cheat reward traits onto my Sims if I want to, so that isn’t an issue.
  • Options
    ElaineenicoleeElaineenicolee Posts: 95 Member
    I love aspirations. Currently I have one main “super sim” household that I’m working on. They can be hard sometimes, but they give me some guidance and goals on what do do next with my sims — especially since I like to play on long lifespans or with vampires who don’t age.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Other, Love....
    I love aspirations because they enhance sims personality/background and they're fun to play.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Other, Hate...
    And then again, I like them, just not the way they were implemented in TS4.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I like them but wouldn't say I love them. They add a nice extra touch or direction to the sims lives but that's about it.

I plan on completing them all (or most of them) with one supersim.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I like them but wouldn't say I love them. They add a nice extra touch or direction to the sims lives but that's about it.

I plan on completing them all (or most of them) with one supersim.

I just started a rags to riches supersim save game where I'm alternating between two sims that I plan to marry off.
    I have all the packs (yes even MFP!... don't judge me, I got it on sale) so this could take a while!
    I'm currently cringing and powering through the deviance and serial romance aspirations to get them out of the way (I don't know what my deal is with the sims since I have a pretty twisted/dark sense of humor and love action and violence in other games/media). I don't what I'm going to do about the witness a death goal. I really don't want to contrive a death but i guess I'd be ok with trying for an emotional death.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    And then again, I like them, just not the way they were implemented in TS4.

I think there's a good portion of people that feel that way, I actually felt that way at first until I decided to just not feel the pressure so to speak. Oddly enough then I became an aspiration junkie for a good portion of my sims. There are still things that annoy me and I wish were different, same with career goals. (TS4)
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Some of the aspirations feel like mini walk throughs and I don't like those myself (they could be useful for someone though). In general aspirations can be okay providing something to work towards. I only go for rewards that suit the character I'm playing.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    We all have aspirations in life, so why not our Sims? Some of the aspirations are advantageous. For instance, my potential singer Sim, has the Musical Genius aspiration. It's very fitting since he's only a teen and has practiced singing since he was a young child. Were you to interview his mother, she'd likely tell you he's been singing ever since he began to talk. He's managed to max out singing, both the CL skill and the RTF professional singing skill. He just maxed out his guitar skills. He writes music, songs and records. Soon, he be able to hold concerts to share his talents with his ever-increasing fan base.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I’m honestly getting kind of bored of the ones we have right now. I wish we could get more that are just there for points farming, no specific completion trait needed. Like how does gardening have anything to do with becoming fireproof?
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    edited April 2019
    Some are easy but some are quite taxing. I tend to cheat the reward traits of the harder ones.