Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Chance Cards Need an Overhaul

The_RatticatorThe_Ratticator Posts: 28 Member
edited March 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Is it just me, or are the chance cards repetitive and boring? I'm not exaggerating when I say that there have been times when the exact same chance card has popped up for several consecutive work days. Not to mention, a good few of the chance cards have a set "correct" answer, meaning that, as long as you know this "correct" answer, you can get the positive outcome from it every time. That's not very interesting, is it? Here's how I think they should be overhauled:

- Make chance cards have a bigger impact, be it positive or negative. Back in TS2, you could be instantly promoted, earn extra Simoleons for that day, or have your Sim's skill points increase if you chose correctly. If you made the wrong choice, though, your Sim could be demoted, lose Simoleons, lose a day's pay, lose skill points, or even get fired.

For example, a card that can show up early on in the Entertainer career. In it, your Sim has the choice to wing it or mine the internet for animal jokes. For me, the former has always resulted in a negative outcome with a performance loss and being told that their comedic skills "need work." The latter has a potential positive and negative outcome. The audience either loves it, resulting in a performance gain, or they get angry at your Sim for making jokes at the expense of animals, resulting in a performance loss. The latter could be changed to where the positive outcome results in nothing but a performance increase happening, the negative resulting in the loss of a comedy skill point and pay for that day. The former's negative outcome could be changed to result in a loss of pay for that day (but without the skill loss), and it could be given a positive outcome where your Sim is instantly promoted and gains a comedy skill point.

- Give both choices a potential positive and negative outcome. This prevents the player from only getting the positive outcome from certain cards because they know the "correct" answer. For example, there's a card early on in the Athletic career where one of the athletes is giving your Sim a hard time. Choosing to confront the athlete can result in either a positive or negative outcome. In the positive outcome, the athlete apologizes and leaves your Sim alone, and in the negative outcome, the athlete continues to bother your Sim, making them angry (an emotion that negatively impacts work performance). The option to ignore the athlete, however, always has a negative outcome. They keep bothering your Sim, making them angry in the process. What if this choice had a potential positive outcome as well? The coach could notice the athlete bothering your Sim, make them stop, apologize on their behalf, and give your Sim extra Simoleons for that day.

Another example, this card that appears early on in the Critic career. Your Sim bumps into another paper deliverer and your options are to either leave some deliveries unfinished or steal some of the other deliverer's papers. The former only ever has a negative outcome, resulting in a performance loss, while the latter has a positive outcome (and the other deliverer gets fired). A potential positive outcome outcome for the former could be that the other deliverer catches up with your Sim and helps them make the rest of their deliveries, no performance gain or loss. And a potential negative outcome for the latter could be that the other deliverer tells the boss what your Sim did, causing them to be fired.

- Have skill level play into the odds of success or failure. For example, the Entertainer career chance card that I brought up before. If your Sim already has a fairly high comedy skill, then the odds of success for the first option increase. And in that Athletic career chance card, skill in charisma could make the athlete more likely to apologize if the option to confront them is chosen.

- Add more potential chance cards to the mix in general. This would make them significantly less repetitive.

- Bring back the ignore button. If chance cards are to have a bigger impact, then I think it's only fair for the ignore button to make a comeback. I'll never understand why it was removed to begin with. Just like in TS2, the ignore button simply closes the chance card without any positive or negative impact on your Sim.

Comments

• Options
    BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    I definitely agree with you. The least that could be done is to put in multiple choices in the chance cards.
    Proud simmer
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I rarely get chance cards anymore.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yes, they've needed to be altered for some time now. I can speak on the ones you get with the Parenthood pack when kids come home from school. They are so repetitive. I do like that it tells you the outcome underneath each option, but I'd love if there was an option in Settings that let you disable it altogether. It's a bit of a nuisance to be in mid-game and have to click whatever option randomly just to get rid of that screen. I honestly don't pay much attention to it now. I guess once you've been playing for so long, it doesn't even matter anymore because it has such a little effect anyway.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited March 2019
    Actually, even the 'right' answer has a chance of a negative outcome, so it's not always right. So, both choices have a chance of being right or wrong. Though either way the outcome is the same.

Though I think the thing with chance cards is that there isn't much of a risk or too much incentive to choose them.

A good or bad moodlet and a small to large performance gain/loss. So, it's a bit lack luster for sure. Kinda wish there were some more risks added to chance cards like the first and second installment of the sims games. You might lose your job, you may lose a skill point, get demoted or just damage your relationship with a co-worker. What I liked about those. It really takes some doing to even be fired from your sims job.

Even in the first sim game my sim had came home (think they were a stuntman or something in entertainment?) It wasn't even a chance card it had mentioned safety parachute didn't deploy and they hurt themselves so they ended up losing a body point or two. An ignore button would be good if I don't feel like doing either of them.

Get Famous actually did the chance cards a bit better though I only wish it wouldn't tell me what the risks are between choosing between the choices. But you can lose your job, move on up in the ladder, get good or bad reputation from your choices or get money.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i totaly disagree with this since i like the sims4 the way it is with no chance cards
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Chance cards are so boring and have almost no interactivity... in my humble opinion. I'd rather that the chance cards were replaced with an interesting several-step, variable goal/problem that the sim had to achieve/overcome outside of the rabbithole situation.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Chance cards lacks consequence. How about chance cards that can get a sim Fired, or affects the co-workers relationship negatively when a wrong choice is made?Plus an ignore button for those who don't want to take the risk.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Chance cards lacks consequence. How about chance cards that can get a sim Fired, or affects the co-workers relationship negatively when a wrong choice is made?Plus an ignore button for those who don't want to take the risk.

The new Style career, idk if it was free or came with Get Famous but I have it lol, but that one has a chance card that can get you fired. It says something like "You saw your boss's sketch of an upcoming clothing line, do you want to leak it to the public or pretend you didn't see it". If you choose to take a picture of it, it tells you right underneath that the result is you will be fired. That's the only one I've seen like that though.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    They are repetitive and boring, and I wish they had more impact than performance gain/loss small/medium. That's literally all I've gotten. How about large gains & losses that impact your Sims like getting fired, dropping a grade level, losing a significant amount of money, or relationship level for making the wrong choice? You know, actual life like consequences.
  • Options
    MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    I agree with this post and thinks it suggests great ideas.

Chance cards in Parenthood sometimes have the same rewards, with each option saying "gains Empathy" for example, so no matter which one I pick the child will gain empathy.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    i totaly disagree with this since i like the sims4 the way it is with no chance cards

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by this. The way it is with no chance cards? But TS4 does have chance cards. Or is this meant to say that you'd rather there be no chance cards at all?
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I do like that it tells you the outcome underneath each option, but I'd love if there was an option in Settings that let you disable it altogether. It's a bit of a nuisance to be in mid-game and have to click whatever option randomly just to get rid of that screen. I honestly don't pay much attention to it now. I guess once you've been playing for so long, it doesn't even matter anymore because it has such a little effect anyway.

Oh yes, along with what I've suggested, I do think that it would be nice if there was a toggle in the gameplay options menu to enable or disable chance cards. The way they are now, they interrupt gameplay, and you're forced to make a choice, or else the popup won't close. I think an ignore button would be helpful in that regard, allowing players to simply close the card without any consequence. But of course that still wouldn't stop the popups entirely, so it would be great if players who don't like the chance cards were able to disable them.
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    Chance cards are so boring and have almost no interactivity... in my humble opinion. I'd rather that the chance cards were replaced with an interesting several-step, variable goal/problem that the sim had to achieve/overcome outside of the rabbithole situation.

Something similar to the opportunities in TS3? I like that! I was pretty fond of the opportunities. Well, aside from the absurd ones, like the ones that would ask your child to go to across the world to another country just for a school project.
  • Options
    i would prefer no chance cards at all or include a toggle for players that would not went chance cards showing up in game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

• Options
    i would prefer no chance cards at all or include a toggle for players that would not went chance cards showing up in game

Ah, I get what you're saying now. Yeah, I do agree that if chance cards don't get an overhaul, it would at least be nice if there was a toggle in the gameplay options menu to enable or disable them.
  • Options

Ah, I get what you're saying now. Yeah, I do agree that if chance cards don't get an overhaul, it would at least be nice if there was a toggle in the gameplay options menu to enable or disable them.

sorry if my post sounded a bit fast i think the key word is add all the content players went but also be able to chose what content players went to use and what content to disable in game option

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I have been finding chance cards to be rather annoying lately. Especially when I am 7 layers deep into a social wheel, about to select the one I want. Then bam, a chance card interrupts and I have to deal with that and then start over with what I had been doing. I’d prefer if they were an option embedded into a notification and did not interrupt gameplay at all. I really hope they aren’t planning to add more than we already have.
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    THIS. I think this is part of what I find boring about sims 4, I don't even care about chance cards anymore and just pick a button, I don't even know what I'm picking, no matter what either my sims get a small performance increase or a medium performance increase. I really miss that struggle, so many of my sims career down the tubes in Sims 2, I miss that! I miss the struggle, I miss a lot of the 'bad' things that would happen to my sims. But for me I think this would improve my experience with 4 majorly.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    What is missing is a way to opt out. Now you are forced to pick an answer, it would be nice if we could choose to ignore the card as well, like a little x on the top corner of the chance card
  • Options
    SimzSizzleSimzSizzle Posts: 433 Member
    Can we have a way to ignore them or turn them off ? My Sim just made it to the top of his career, and one popped up about cash register shortage. The game wouldn't let me go any further until I made a choice and I didn't want to because I didn't want to make the wrong choice and get him fired so I quit the game. But why can't we turn them off or ignore them ?