Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

(Possible spoilers) What do you think caused what happened in Strangerville ?

I'm very intrigued and would like to know you threes about what happened that caused the Mother to be in Strangerville.

(Possible spoilers) What do you think caused what happened in Strangerville ? 59 votes

A spaceship crashed in the crater with The Mother aboard. Scientists decided to study her, opening Pandora's Box.
57%
icmnfrshIsb917ANNETTE1951AngelluluamcrocethelawtmanmordarlarEmmaVaneDevilNDisguisestormycurlsannaliese39EnkiSchmidtdomina89SnaveXsAquaGamer1212Agustín CornejoKitty Napsuzyl3TaraIris94kayt45 34 votes
A scientific experiment went really wrong (that's what happens when you keep playing with fire).
15%
marbergsimmietimerambahadoerSavvySimmieMrMonty96INeedAVacationKaronPeanutButterSims2002simms745 9 votes
A lab accident created her, someone accidentally spilled hazardous chemicals on a plant.
10%
R0bertakolosreceSakuske1SimplyobsessedhipotonixFreshTostadas 6 votes
A mad scientist secretly created her.
8%
rjhenn14taydevspice3moonswanotakuLady_Ballora 5 votes
Other (explain)
8%
CAITLINX354Sigzy05HermitgirlSimmer_chiyenMonday 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    A spaceship crashed in the crater with The Mother aboard. Scientists decided to study her, opening Pandora's Box.
    This theory already came to mind before I even saw the choices. It seems like an extraterrestrial thing
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2019
    Other (explain)
    As the sky burned, a meteor with traces of alien life fell overnight, right in the middle of the desert, creating a massive crater on the ground the size of Windenburg.....Years have passed and unsuspecting people, the Roswells, who decided to move away from the suburbs to a secluded place where they could grow a family in peace, settled in that very same desert. But as more sims started to discover this hidden oasis the Roswells were no longer alone. Being the first to arrive there, the Roswells decided to congregate a small community of which Ted Roswell would be the mayor of and named it Strangerville. Shorty after, strange occurrences started to happen. Violent glowing lights oozed from the crater scaring Strangerville's residents and with curiosity Ted decided to put together a small team of scientists and military to raid it and find out the source of such commotion. When they arrived at the centre of the crater there was a weirdly shaped plant embedded on the desert. Scared, yet intrigued, the scientists and the mayor decided to buil a science lab around the alien life form to contain it and safely study it.

Months later, the plant was starting to mature and seemed to become alive. It started to eat the scientists and military who would come close to it, arboreal tentacles broke free from the ground and started to release strange toxins into the air. The personnel working at the lab, even in the upper levels, were starting to become indoctrinated, infected by the spores and toxins. They'd speak of a mother and talk about greener dreams. After realising the huge thread this alien plant posed to the Simnation, Ted decided to seal the lab, and with the military, they rushed away from the crater leaving all their equipment behind barely escaping with their lives. However it was too late....possessed scientists had already taken the alien's offsprings away and planted them in their own yards only to leave the whole town infected. The mayor hired secret agents that were to help fix this mess, but all they've done, is cover the evidence.

That's my take on it.

Personally I think even in regards to the story itself Maxis was lazy, as they don't really explain anything but ok.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    edited March 2019
    The way the spores are tearing through the local ecosystem it's definitely an invasive species, nothing native to earth. But I do not think it was spaceship, instead the spores came riding piggy-back on an asteroid or deep frozen in a comet's tail.
  • Options
    Kitty NapKitty Nap Posts: 11 New Member
    i really like this theory!
  • Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    Other (explain)
    Mother, herself, chose to come to the planet (and made the crater) in order to spread and take over the world.

Scientists built a lab around her and things got out of control.

I mean, this is Little Shop of Horrors all over and I'm so sad that I've yet to see anyone sight the influence and similarities. (If they have, I haven't seen it, at least.)

Um...Spoilers for two decades-old movies AND a play... :#
    a63ftuN.png
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I think all theories could work, but I like the spaceship idea best. It's also in keeping with the previous Strangetown storyline in TS2.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Other (explain)
    Monday wrote: »
    Mother, herself, chose to come to the planet (and made the crater) in order to spread and take over the world.

Scientists built a lab around her and things got out of control.

I mean, this is Little Shop of Horrors all over and I'm so sad that I've yet to see anyone sight the influence and similarities. (If they have, I haven't seen it, at least.)

Um...Spoilers for two decades-old movies AND a play... :#

I have a save with all those characters... I definitely see it :).

For my vote though it's all of the above and more. I'd also like to think of it being extradimensional being or something that came from within the earth (think Journey to the Center of the Earth kind of thing.
    Right now I'm playing it out as more unknown but I'm siding with extraterrestrial.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    edited March 2019
    Other (explain)
    An asteroid crashed into the land, later known as StrangerVille, with some spores of The M. The chemical reaction resulted from that impact made the area rich in petroleum. That was how the Roswells became the oil barrens they once were.

With the passing of time, the shallow-layered crude was soon extracted fully. It sent the Roswells to a debt-spiral, which led to Ted’s selling part of his lands to the military and converting the town to a base satellite village. That was the founding point of StrangerVille

Nonetheless, for (Sim) months, Ted was still trying to find any remaining petrol well. While digging near the crater, he accidentally released the first small batch of spores (and got infected). The incident attracted the military’s attention, and they cut a deal with Ted to rent the land of and surrounding the crater. That was the establishment of the [Redacted] Lab.

After (Sim) weeks of excavating, the military scientists found the already matured M. in a burrow under the crater, and they started to study it and its origin. The personnels going in and out of the laboratory often contracted some spores, of which leading a number of bizarre plants growing in the town. The Bureau picked up on this and tried to clean up after the military, but the infection has begun spreading in a smaller scale. Unfortunately, an accident in the lab caused the ground antennae sent out strong electrical waves. That incident was “the explosion,” which the towns people called it. And that very incident also fried a cargo plane’s onboard equipment, brining it and its pilot down. The command center immediately ordered an all-personnel evacuation from the lab. Only a soldier shall stand guard in the watch tower at a shift.

A (Sim) week later, [YOUR SIM] arrived at this quaint desert town.

Edit to make corrections.
  • Options
    INeedAVacationINeedAVacation Posts: 32 Member
    A scientific experiment went really wrong (that's what happens when you keep playing with fire).
    A scientific experiment gone awry:

In the style of Stranger Things - someone opened another dimension and the flower took over.