Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Honestly....(Strangerville Review)

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    JenniferukJenniferuk Posts: 104 Member
    edited March 2019
    I get what everyone is saying about the brevity/simplicity of the storyline and lack of replayability ... BUT (and as someone pointed out in another thread), is it really that different to replaying a different storyline (eg surburban family) where you have to repeat things again and again. How many times do you potty train the toddler or feed the baby or water the plants or make macaroni cheese and know what the outcome will be.

If you play it again in a New Save, the large amount of randomly generated sims make potential opportunities for connection and story where focusing on solving the mystery is not the main aim but a potentially fun and different side story?

I for one am very glad to see a change from 2.4 children big moneyed houses on big surburban lots ... and think story potential can be just as wide with this?

(Still wish there were more editable trailer lots in the park though!) :p
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2019
    Jenniferuk wrote: »
    is it really that different to replaying a different storyline (eg surburban family) where you have to repeat things again and again. How many times do you potty train the toddler or feed the baby or water the plants or make macaroni cheese and know what the outcome will be.

YES. YES IT IS. I'm not asked to collect 15 pieces of evidence when I play my own stories. I can do whatever I want, within the programmed behaviors of the game. I don't have to have a baby, I don't need to potty train a toddler, I could have my Sims eat only pizza and maybe I don't want to have any plants. It's my story, MY RULES. You're comparing apples and cats.
  • Options
    JenniferukJenniferuk Posts: 104 Member
    fair enough and I see your point but blimey, I feel told off.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Schantal wrote: »
    ......you show devs what you want with your wallets.....

I did by buying this! I want the quirk.

I don't ever want the sims to be just about family and generations and things like that that are dollhouse style of playing a realistic simulation.

I want different. I don't even care about University, but I know it will come bc it's a staple for the game. I want witches, I even want zombies again, (but I feel this is their take on that with strangerville for sims 4).

Give me a travel BACK in time to the 50's/60's. Give me a cruise holiday, but after Strangerville I don't even care if it's a murder mystery cruise!

Give me the things I like too. And every simmer has what they like and how they like to play!

• Options
    Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2019
    I was disappointed by how easy the "mystery" was to solve. A huge percentage of players are adults and the mystery was far too easy for anyone over the age of 10 imo

edit: what? you can only play it once???? is that per save?
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Lilypink79 wrote: »
    I was disappointed by how easy the "mystery" was to solve. A huge percentage of players are adults and the mystery was far too easy for anyone over the age of 10 imo

edit: what? you can only play it once???? is that per save?

You can play it as many times as you like. It's just that it's going to be the same tasks to perform and the same outcome.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2019
    Jenniferuk wrote: »
    I get what everyone is saying about the brevity/simplicity of the storyline and lack of replayability ... BUT (and as someone pointed out in another thread), is it really that different to replaying a different storyline (eg surburban family) where you have to repeat things again and again. How many times do you potty train the toddler or feed the baby or water the plants or make macaroni cheese and know what the outcome will be.

If you play it again in a New Save, the large amount of randomly generated sims make potential opportunities for connection and story where focusing on solving the mystery is not the main aim but a potentially fun and different side story?

I for one am very glad to see a change from 2.4 children big moneyed houses on big surburban lots ... and think story potential can be just as wide with this?

(Still wish there were more editable trailer lots in the park though!) :p

I don't have to do any of that if I don't want to, point number one.

Point number two, those are small things for a goal I as a player might have or my sim's. If I want my sim to have children and have them grow up with reward traits to help them gain skills faster later on I'll try and max all my toddler skills. Sometimes there's not enough time and I have to try with the next child (I don't often change the age span to fit with my missteps). If I want my sim to have a garden with each type of plant in the game I'll do gardening and with Seasons sometimes I don't even have to water my plants or I can just hire a gardener.

The goal for the story will never change, defeat the plant, and there are no multiple ways to defeat it either as far as I know, and there's a tasklist you must do if you want to hit every story marker. I understand why this is, ofc, but I'm not looking for that when I play The Sims. And I still want more realistic gameplay too, there's still so much that is lacking for me.

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    When I buy anything sims I compare it to the cost of anything else entertainment related in relation to time spent and level of enjoyment. I feel I got my money's worth for how I enjoy playing the sims. But do I feel like I got the deal of a century and blown away by the pack... no. Like anything else sims since EA took over Maxis (not just TS4) it has it's disappointments. I haven't played too much (haven't even finished the story or tried the military career yet) but I'm not sucked in to the story. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I was hoping for a bit more of a spark of interest.

So far my biggest disappointment is how little there is to do. I understand not having fishing spots but I was hoping for more collectibles at least. Click, click, click and for the most part I can make my sim walk somewhere. Of course there are the townies, and I do love them but I usually prefer interacting with my own played sims (I play rotationally) so I'm not sure how much I'll get out of them outside of the story.

Is strangerville beautiful? Yes!
    But too much window dressing for me. Take the trailer park. Freaking Adorable! Absolutely wasted space outside of the story. They couldn't have at least throw some collectibles around?!

I wouldn't mind the option to expand the infection/story to other worlds.
    Speaking of the infection. I was disappointed about how short lived it was. I got one of my sims infected and it went away before I could even do any of the interactions.

I'm also in the camp that's not thrilled with the ratio of what I would consider too specific build/buy objects (ex: lab deco) vs new basics (cough, cough... counters).

I'm looking forward to finishing the story, trying out the military career and I do like the buy/build catalog...it'll be a good town for bowling alley, but I'm not overwhelmed with excitement.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Actually I think the plot is very re-playable. Don't misunderstand me, the surprise is gone, but it can work into a side plot with other Sims you are plalying and don't forget you earn asperation points as you work the storyline and asperation points are the way to build up your Sims.