Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is it with bathrooms?

What is it with the devs building houses, and bathrooms? Like, two bathrooms? I get that - one downstairs one upstairs. But how is it that their houses need SO MANY? Three, four, five bathrooms?

And what is it with minimal effort? THere's already options to buy houses with or without furnishing. You can have cheap lots and still put some effort in. What is it with them and making dull houses? A decent starter house can be thrown together in fifteen minutes.

I can partly explain this though - they cannot use anything that's not either in base game, or in the pack the lot came with. Nonetheless, the lack of effort is astonishing.
Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.

Comments

• Options
    Scarbo27Scarbo27 Posts: 125 Member
    I think they aren't very interested in the building/furnishing aspect of creating a world. I get the feeling from EA's premade residential lots that they just want to finish that task to get it over with. It's a shame that they don't put more effort into their creations though, most players don't build and rely on premade lots for their gameplay.
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Yeah. Even with base game items you can make a decent well thought out starter.
  • Options
    Scarbo27 wrote: »
    I think they aren't very interested in the building/furnishing aspect of creating a world. I get the feeling from EA's premade residential lots that they just want to finish that task to get it over with. It's a shame that they don't put more effort into their creations though, most players don't build and rely on premade lots for their gameplay.

Yeah plus I’m sure they completely excuse it with, “the gallery has many options.” 🙄

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    If they actually built lots, they might understand some of their 'builder' players more, and some of our woes - and realise we need more new furniture per pack to keep homes looking original inside as well as out.

I know it's just a job to them, but they need to stay in touch with gamers.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited March 2019
    I personally don’t get it. Find a couple lowly interns with halfway decent building skills and dedicate them to crafting the new world and its sims. If they can’t find someone in-house, outsource it to one of the talented community creators who actually give a 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
  • Options
    klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    I’ve read in the past that the lots are kept so minimal because they want to ensure all computers, regardless of their specs, can run the lots well. I can understand why that would be a concern for them; I just don’t understand the massive builds with crazy-big rooms. I can’t imagine those being much easier for lower-grade PCs to run. :lol:

I wish they’d try to color-coordinate things better, center objects; even place a few plants here and there to add some color. Nowadays, I’m starting to suspect the reason the lots are even more barren than usual is because they may be throwing their builds together last-minute.
  • Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    I am certain the lots are kept simple so that people may alter and change them around themselves. The furniture seems to be nothing more than a guideline, a starting point. I have seen this complaint with StrangerVille a lot and it confuses me. Do people actually care about the houses in the game? Most people simply demolish them, others build around them, and some just replace them without even looking at them.

I have never looked at a house and been like, “Wow, I wish this house had _____”. I can just add it myself if I desire or do what I want. They have said multiple times that they do not want to dictate how people play.

Also, the lots have to be somewhat simple for those with low-budget computers. Each item increases demand that is needed by the game and if you open a lot with hundreds of items, it can really strain some computers.

In the end, does it really matter? I just watched lilsimsie whine – yes, whine – about this issue for twenty minutes. I just cannot fathom how a house being copy-pasted or lacklustre in furniture is worthy enough to bother you when you can spend five minutes and fix it up.

As for the bathrooms, a lot of mansions, manors, and estates often have more bathrooms than bedrooms. A friend of mine had six bathrooms in a three bedroom house.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited March 2019
    NoTalent wrote: »
    Do people actually care about the houses in the game? Most people simply demolish them, others build around them, and some just replace them without even looking at them.

If that’s the case, it’s probably because they’re rubbish, with poorly thought out floor plans, and no consideration at all given to color coordination and cohesive style. If the prebuilt houses were well done, more people would like them and they’d be less inclined to demolish them. It sure would make my life a lot easier not having to overhaul everything.

• Options
    DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    Meh, base game plus one pack isnt all that. I'd prefer empty shells to be honest.
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    It's been a long time since I used a premade home other than the GP vacation lots. I don't mind them keeping it simple. I will say I liked a few features in some of the builds. There's Jungle Bungalow in Jungle Adventure that is built like a 1.5 story home with a deck on one side on the second floor. It also had curved patios and the pool. I really liked the layout on that place, and currently I'm building 1.5 story homes with functional lofts and spare rooms upstairs.

There's also the really small home in Oasis Springs (Raffia Quinta) that had a nice layout for a small place. The only changes I've made to that lot when I play it is flip the kitchen so the entrance faces the dining room, and then add stairs to the rear patio.

Getting back to the OP. Lots of larger homes or multi level homes will have more bathrooms than bedrooms. I've made a three-story condo for San Myshuno and it had four bathrooms and only three bedrooms. One on the entry level that had a garage and entry way, a second one on the second floor where the living and dining areas are, and then two bedrooms upstairs. The master had its own bathroom, and the other bedrooms shared one in the hallway. It might sound crazy, but a condo I almost bought had a layout similar to this.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited March 2019
    From what I have understood, I believe this is something that simGururomeo said on a video from the sim supply. House building is not part of the development process, it sounds like it could be as bad as that the people who are building the houses are doing it on their own free time. Which explains why they put so little effort into it, because they are not getting paid to do it.
    The houses that comes with the expansions are just made by people at the studio who they have no idea who they are. Apparently the lots also go through many people, that's why for example they did the mistake with the fruit bowl who prevents you from cooking food on the crashed plane lot. They wanted to take some pictures and thought it would look better with a fruit bowl on the counter.

It sounds to me that it's just bad management, and since it is not affecting sales directly, I think they simply don't care. It's more important for them to ship a product in time and for it to be functional than caring if some houses look good.

Me personally, I find it ridiculous that this team can program new animations, make new textures and can code in everything that's necessary for an expansion pack to work. But they can't find the time, resources or people to build some nice looking houses in the game itself.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Yep, even among the few premade houses I really like, the bathrooms always stand out like black sheep. It's not even their amount (I never actually felt there's too many of them), but their weird shapes, that they often have two doors leading into them (or an archway, like in one of the StrangerVille mansions), and their absurd size compared to their sparse furnishing. Leave it to the developers to create a 3x4 bathroom and put nothing but a toilet and a sink inside. :D

I think they simply don't care about bathrooms in this iteration of The Sims, and the lack of urinals and bathroom stalls after all these years is further proof of that. I can't say it bothers me too much, though, because I can always change whatever I don't like.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    Have prebuilt residential lots ever been nice? And I don't just mean in ts4 I mean ever. I remember hating most of the prebuilt lots in ts3. Terrible patterns, awful color combinations, or just very little thought put into it.

Also it's not that bad as before since we have the gallery. If you don't like a lot just grab one from the gallery. About half of the houses I have in game came from the gallery.

Also it makes sense that builds would be low priority when it comes to a pack since what's more important getting this feature to work or to make sure this home has a nicely furnished kitchen. I will say though it seems like builds, mainly residential, are given less effort now but maybe we're over exaggerating, I mean it's only been noticeable in the 2 most recent packs and the builds in Del Sol Valley weren't bad they just had unfinished bathrooms.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    Yes, I remember hating most premade lots in TS2 and TS4. Especially the big ones usually have horrible layouts (Landgraab house & Spencer-Kim house for example). I think there could have been a little bit more furniture thrown in the Strangerville houses but having sort of guideline decoration is fine by me. It should of course be functional. I quite like the outeriors of those houses, so overall I'm pleased with the builds there. It would be devastating if it was the other way around, nice decoration in a terrible looking house.
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    I understand peoples conserns about these builds. Some of the build were missing important things and the one kitchen in strangerville didn't work and one house in basegame had 1 window whit different level than others. But other than that all sims games in history have had houses whit just bare minimal furnish on them. Sims 4 is not different. Sims 1, 2 and 3 we didnt have gallery where we could serch other builders houses so we did need to build, furnish or just keep EA made houses (or download then on 3 party sites on internet) i didn't build in sims 2 or 3 that mutch because i play it and were too lazy to build my own houses back then so that was issue for me. I only did furnish them. So as many people complane about this but just keep inmind that this issue is beeing there since beggining of this game but now atleast we got gallery to help people who dont like to build and full of different houses to choose from.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    edited March 2019
    I don't feel too troubled by it. To me it is either a placeholder for a build made by me, or a fixer-upper. As @Charlotta11 pointed out, this is an entire franchise thing, not unique to just 4. If you don't like the basegame builds but are not so much a builder yourself, then you have us builders to help you out. I love making starters and community lots and sharing them. I've even taken a pre-made residential lot and turned it into a multi-use community lot. Preserved the house and just refurbished it for a bar, dance club, gym, and internet cafe.
    The devs do have a lot of other stuff to do. Coding, animating, and rendering alone is a lot of work in itself. I don't blame them for not being that enthusiastic on building.
    But that build with the busted plane is rather novel, to be sure. And the bowl of fruit can always be moved.
    Post edited by Samsonguy9000 on
  • Options
    MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    Well, they provide a build/buy mode and a gallery. I think building is part of the game to them. If they built all the houses beautifully and all, then a build/buy mode wouldn't be necessary. They build the body of the house, give it the style they believe goes with the neibourhood and it's up to us to do the rest. It's part of the gameplay. That's just my opinion.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    It isn't as if we can't change it. Most of the time I change up every house eventually anyway. Heck I don't even care if there is a house - as long as I have lots to build on - I am fine. I don't sweat the small stuff and a missing toilet in a game not a big deal

Now if it was real life - well i could see the point - I want toilets in my abode in real life - but a game. Pfttt - no big deal. Takes a few seconds to place one. Really - what's the big deal? I just don't get it. Who hasn't missed a door or a sink or something in the game over the last 19 years anyway?

Just not a biggie to me.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    It isn't as if we can't change it. Most of the time I change up every house eventually anyway. Heck I don't even care if there is a house - as long as I have lots to build on - I am fine. I don't sweat the small stuff and a missing toilet in a game not a big deal

Now if it was real life - well i could see the point - I want toilets in my abode in real life - but a game. Pfttt - no big deal. Takes a few seconds to place one. Really - what's the big deal? I just don't get it. Who hasn't missed a door or a sink or something in the game over the last 19 years anyway?

Just not a biggie to me.

Not a big deal on the grander scheme of things, sure but it does show a lack of quality control and assurance. From an indie low budget game I’d let it slide. For a big budget game it’s lazy, simple.

• Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    logion wrote: »
    From what I have understood, I believe this is something that simGururomeo said on a video from the sim supply. House building is not part of the development process, it sounds like it could be as bad as that the people who are building the houses are doing it on their own free time. Which explains why they put so little effort into it, because they are not getting paid to do it.
    The houses that comes with the expansions are just made by people at the studio who they have no idea who they are. Apparently the lots also go through many people, that's why for example they did the mistake with the fruit bowl who prevents you from cooking food on the crashed plane lot. They wanted to take some pictures and thought it would look better with a fruit bowl on the counter.

It sounds to me that it's just bad management, and since it is not affecting sales directly, I think they simply don't care. It's more important for them to ship a product in time and for it to be functional than caring if some houses look good.

Me personally, I find it ridiculous that this team can program new animations, make new textures and can code in everything that's necessary for an expansion pack to work. But they can't find the time, resources or people to build some nice looking houses in the game itself.

It shows how stingy EA is. I do not believe that I know of a single game where the developers did not do world building. Even Prison Architect had scenarios with pre-built prisons. I don't think that it's right to be like "do world building on your after work hours, no you don't get paid for it!". I mean for The Sims 3 we had the tool that they used to build neighborhoods themselves, yet I do not think (or I hope not anyway) that developers got sent home to do world building in their spare time like it's some sort of weird hobby that they're supposed to have to be employed.
  • Options
    storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    I am not much of a builder, so recently I've been trying to get better at it. But... I actually like the premade houses in the game... is it because I don't know any better since I can't build lol? I've always thought they were charming. Maybe I need to take another look!

There ARE some really cool lots in the Gallery though - that would be really cool if they could be hired to build official lots for the game and its packs. Maybe the reason the team consistently shares players' builds is in part because they WISH they could give us better choices but EA is too stingy, as someone else mentioned.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Its really not a big deal to me either. I don't think I've ever played an EA house for any length of time before totally redoing it because, plum that's bad! I always gut EA's houses, and have since the original sims. I've hated the Goth house throughout the series because it's really, really bad!

I usually an extra bath in the basement along with whatever else is down there. But I have to agree, EA loves bathrooms, lol.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited March 2019
    mirta000 wrote: »
    logion wrote: »

It shows how stingy EA is. I do not believe that I know of a single game where the developers did not do world building. Even Prison Architect had scenarios with pre-built prisons. I don't think that it's right to be like "do world building on your after work hours, no you don't get paid for it!". I mean for The Sims 3 we had the tool that they used to build neighborhoods themselves, yet I do not think (or I hope not anyway) that developers got sent home to do world building in their spare time like it's some sort of weird hobby that they're supposed to have to be employed.

Hopefully it's not in their spare time, that was like the worst scenario. My guess is that they probably have world building in their schedule but it get's very low priority. Because it is not essential to gameplay. We can replace premade lots with lots from the gallery, but we can't fix broken code that causes the game to crash.

They probably have multiple things that they need finished within a deadline, such as coding, so they could work on getting the dlc ready in time, or they could build some houses in a build that may not be the final build and could even be changed because the lots goes to different people and they will not get credited for it. EA pays them for a finished working product, not a product that has fancy lots in it.

I am not sure how we could get them to fix this, I think the best way is to kindly ask them to prioritize it more and hopefully they could make room in their schedule to have some more world building with better lots. Give them some time to test the dlc with some people, like the one they have for EA Game Changers. I am pretty sure a lot of people from there commented on the lots from the dlc, but they had no time to change them.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Is it not normal to have a lot of bathrooms? In an ideal house build, I like to have one bathroom for every sim that will live there. Since that can vary, I try to have a minimum of 4 bathrooms, but can have as many as 6 or more.

My current Legacy house has 5. Three downstairs and 2 upstairs and if I could figure out a way to get a sixth one upstairs, I would.

As far as minimal effort, I'm not blown away by any of the EA houses in game. I definitely see much more talented builders on the gallery. I think they should be hired to build houses for the sims. But, I think what we have it fine for what it is. We do have the gallery for more detailed tastes and desires. Heck, I'm not even a builder and I build in sims 4 and usually end up, pretty much, happy with what I've built. We really do have lots of options, so I can kind of see the devs not spending a ton of time to give us epic houses, though a few really nice EA houses would be nice.

And then, of course, there is the "can't please everyone" business. I'm sure, no matter what they did, someone would complain about something. If they really built amazing builds, someone would prefer Victorian. Or another would want modern. Or another traditional. Someone, somewhere, would complain that their style was being ignored. So, they give us basic houses, basic designs and we can either build our own or find something fitting our style of the gallery.

I get it.

p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I think the environment team does a great job with the worlds especially the latter ones but the lots in StrangerVille have been decorated with a blind fold.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1