Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Get Spanish Accents When Naming Sim in Game?

á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ

Hey all!

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend :) It's been a hot minute since I've been on the forums, but I'm here with a question today. The letters mentioned above, is there a way to get them in game? I kind of messed around a bit and had no luck, so I was just wondering. It'd be nice because I have some Spanish names that I'd like to look more authentic.

Cheers!
tumblr_naeqm3rHmH1tca3q3o1_400.gif
Origin ID: SylvRo
Sims 4 Current Household: Generation 11

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    If you don't mind me asking, how do you get those little marks above the letters?
  • Options
    SylvSylv Posts: 885 Member
    @LaBlue0314 I copy pasted.

• Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    They probably have the relevant language (in this case Spanish) installed as a keyboard language on their PC; they can then switch between the two when typing (though I too haven't figured out how to make it work in game.)

I have English and Finnish installed as keyboard languages, hence ö, ä, å.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    edited February 2019

@BabySquare French is all I have with my accents on my keyboard.

I haven't found anything online really depicting what to do, so I'm assuming unless it's installed on your keyboard, it cannot be done.

• Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I should try at some point changing the keyboard language before going in game to see what happens.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    Yeah, that's what I am about to attempt now.

• Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i tend to do one of two things with this...

the first is pick an existing selvadoran native sim (with the 'isnative' hidden trait) since they're often created with names with the accents, mark them played and start editing/playing with them like normal sims (since they are normal sims, just slightly special)

the second is to do just like you did here in the forums. copy/paste. you can paste copied names over into the name field of a sim while you're editing them and i've done that with everything from hispanic/latino sims to germanic, french or scandanavian ones to aliens. been tempted to do it with asian ones in their native languages too, but then i would have no clue what their names are, personally, so keep those romanized
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Couldn't you just use the Alt + NumKey shortcuts? Like how Alt + 0225 yields á, Alt + 0233 yields é, or the caps version like Alt + 0193 yields Á?
    Haven't tried it before but should work.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,438 Member
    Archieonic wrote: »
    Couldn't you just use the Alt + NumKey shortcuts? Like how Alt + 0225 yields á, Alt + 0233 yields é, or the caps version like Alt + 0193 yields Á?
    I haven’t tried but sometimes these shortcuts don’t work. Depends what you’re using it in sometimes
  • Options
    klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    I can confirm that these shortcuts worked for me when I created a sim of Spanish descent in CAS. Hopefully they will also work for you too, @Sylv! :smile:
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member

This is the best way to get those characters. I've never tried typing them directly into the name fields, but I imagine if you typed and then copied and pasted from NotePad it would work.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Enable the US international keyboard. You can add accents by typing the relevant mark beforehand. ' + e = é, for example. : + u for ü, ~ + n = ñ
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?