Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Self Woohoo/Personal Care/More adult options

The title is self explanatory, yes it’s risky as the sims is very much seen as a game for everybody and all the mature content either goes over younger players heads or they’re just not told what this and that means, but as someone whose been playing sims literally since they could type, I’ve grown up with it, and now I feel the sims should grow up too, obviously keep the adult tone mild, but you know, leave some puns and risky features that only adult simmers know about, or know the meaning to, give the sims 4 it’s big sim undies and send it off to work, sims 4 can’t mooch off its parents forever.

Quitting to the quick, I found an old artical from ye old times when sims 4 was a fever dream, it was in all the gaming news but not enough of us had all the info on what was happening but we didn’t care because hello, sims!
And what was that artical about? EA discussing a long deleted idea called Self Woohoo, one they later confirmed would not be in the finished game because of its adult themed and all too real and depressing puns about playing the game and blah blah blah. You know the rest.

Expanding on that thought, what could the sims 4 add that would make it more fun for adult players?
What adult puns could they add?
What interactions and objects could they throw in via an update that would make lonely old Betsy seem more content with her singlehood?
What could spice up old man Peters routine stagger around town?
What would make being an adult, young adult and elder more fun and realistic when getting down to personal care, hygiene and mental state included, fun and interesting.

Heads up, I’m not even gonna suggest the mention of...you know, no way, I think even the forums would cringe if I made that idea physical via the interwebs, also the design and features...no, not for the sims, maybe another simulation, but not this one!

So, what do I mean overall? Being an adult, doing adult things that can go over younger players heads whilst we, the grown ups, laugh our plums off and blush at the idea of our sim self locking them selvesinto a room to have some fun or breathe a sigh of relief as they step into a warm bath with lots of candles or even just sit on the bed with a face mask, watch tv and do their nails.

When I say self care, I mean more than...that stuff.
I mean expand spa day, expand adult activities, expand the whole meaning of adult!

Obviously, yes, throw in lots more ironically filthy but not too filthy puns and interactions because I love it when my sim does something like that and the little bar shows up telling me what they did in detail, or my sim gets told lil Timmy draw a very naughty picture at school without knowing the true meaning of what it is he drew.
Make it funny, make it ridiculous, make it sims but up the grown up vibe, maybe even up all the age group vibes, just add more.

I’ll comment further on the mental state feature but I gotta go so comment below on what adult features you’d want and how sims 4 could make this possible!

Have a nice day, happy new year and sul sul!

Comments

• Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    if anything, I'd expect interactions like that in ts2, which was somewhat raunchy and fun, lol. TS4 is very mild--probably to lower the rating and appeal to people worldwide. I don't care for 'self wohoo,' but I'd certainly love more interactions like kissing on the bed or sofa. This game generally lacks romance variation.

for more than that... I'd rely on mods.
  • Options
    sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    id like my sim couples to autonomously woohoo. they talk autonomously to keep their relationship going, why not a woohoo and other romance options?

i wouldnt want them trying for a baby like that however a normal woohoo is fine, but then again ive had a few instances where ive sworn ive clicked normal woohoo and ended up with a pregnant sim.

i think part of the problem is the lack of certain items in game. we could have the newspaper and have sims read the personal ads whereas children players may get the paper and have their sims read the comics or funnies, or have magazine subscriptions like 'play bunny' for example that gets delivered on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis and when read our sims could become flirty or embarrassed or even angry depending on traits.

as awesome as it would be to have a more adult theme laced throughout i dont think they will. sims 4 is too sugar, spice, all things nice and what not IMO for it to be spiced up
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    While interesting ideas, you have to remember the game is rated "T" for Teen in the US. (Not sure of the ratings for other countries). Like movie ratings (G, PG, PG13, etc.), there are certain restrictions on the game. While self care is a great idea, "personal woo-hoo" is not.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I'd love all that, but it ain't gonna happen with this game... there will always be mods for that stuff though :/
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited January 2019
    ROTFL :D omg, I am too funny. I had to read the whole thread just to Know what you meant by Self woohoo still laughing, oh I never have a clue. Ok, I thought that you meant that you wanted them to decide for themselves when Sims wanted woohoo lol and that we would not have to click for them.
    So I thought yes that's a good Ideal hahaha. Silly clueless me.

We can just go back to Sims 2 for theirs, that would suffice. for clueless me. :)
    Post edited by Stormsview on
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    edited January 2019

The reason I would not want that in our Sims 4 game!

Some games have bad reputations that would make you embarrassed to play the game even if you are not getting involved with Some sorts of Role Plays in the game.

And when your family or friends find out you play a game with Adult rating behavior it embarrasses you. So I rather not. I like that Sims is a clean and respectable game. And it's still a lot of fun.

Most Simmers are just looking for clean fun.

we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,596 Member
    I don't like 'self-woohoo' either, but I would like more romantic interactions. Why can't a Sim (under the Romance menu) ever tell someone they love them? Why can't they ever tell their parents that or even their children? (Which would have to fall under the Friendly menu.) Why can't they walk side-by-side holding hands, or even having arms about the other Sims' waist? When will they ever be able to slow dance again?

Why can't there be more of a risk of random death in the game? Sims2 was funnier, raunchy, but funnier. I'm all in favor of combining the best of past iterations into a new iteration of this game.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    would not went any of this in the sims 4 as it would go against the teen rating of the sims4 to me the way I see and view the sims4 as a player its to have fun create and explore the game if I am not playing I am in a creating mode but when I play its to have fun playing the game and also not all players are the same when it comes to the sims4 everyone have there own way of playing some players might prefer to see there sims age and die I respect that but for me as a player I prefer not to let my sims age or die
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    edited January 2019
    Like @friendlysimmers said, it violates the T for teen rating

{EA_Lanna: Edited to remove moderation}
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    Oh hamburgers!
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    They keep insisting that kids play this, but I don't see them. I think it's adults that play this. The rating should be changed.
  • Options
    I don't like 'self-woohoo' either, but I would like more romantic interactions. Why can't a Sim (under the Romance menu) ever tell someone they love them? Why can't they ever tell their parents that or even their children? (Which would have to fall under the Friendly menu.) Why can't they walk side-by-side holding hands, or even having arms about the other Sims' waist? When will they ever be able to slow dance again?

Why can't there be more of a risk of random death in the game? Sims2 was funnier, raunchy, but funnier. I'm all in favor of combining the best of past iterations into a new iteration of this game.

We do have a Sim in love declaring their undying love for them and even read poetry, We have serenade love songs. Also, there is more at the Romance festivals
    We can just hug our kids or hug them lovingly. and the Toddlers love when they get the loving hugs.
    We also have couch making out.

I like the idea of holding hands that's cute :) would be nice for couples to go for a walk that way. I am so tired of having to get a dog just to go for a walk.

We all want close dancing, at first, we would ask for romantic slow dancing, but now I would be happy if the couple that is dancing together was in the same room. lol
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Stormsview wrote: »
    ROTFL :D omg, I am too funny. I had to read the whole thread just to Know what you meant by Self woohoo still laughing, oh I never have a clue. Ok, I thought that you meant that you wanted them to decide for themselves when Sims wanted woohoo lol and that we would not have to click for them.
    So I thought yes that's a good Ideal hahaha. Silly clueless me.

We can just go back to Sims 2 for theirs, that would suffice. for clueless me. :)

I laughed too. :joy:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    They keep insisting that kids play this, but I don't see them. I think it's adults that play this. The rating should be changed.
    Just because you don't seem them don't mean they don't exist. I played the first sims game quite a lot and was a quote unquote 'kid'.

The forums and fan websites only make up a fraction of the community. There are more that play on PC and console and aren't active members.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options

Well maybe they are like me, when I go to Game Stop, I just say I am buying for my kid. lol
  • Options

Ratings have little to do with who plays the game, Rating is the type of content that's in the game. People who buy and play the Sims 4 want to enjoy a cleaner game. Adult rated games are very common and of no particular value. They are of a lower class.
    Sims, on the other hand, is played by people with a higher standard of living, and morals for the most part.
    We play the Sims because we enjoy the gameplay and the building.

EA and Maxis make the type of games they wish to make. I hope they keep making this one of a kind classic game.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Omg remember when breast sliders were going to raise the T rating to M for Sims 3?!?

I think “self-woohoo” would be kinda funny. That’s hardly anymore adult than regular woohoo is. Let’s not forget Sims can already “woohoo” in public foliage in front of other Sims, who will stop and watch/react. So not really sure why woohoo minus one sim would really affect the rating, I think that’s a bit dramatic.
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Sadly we have to rely on mods for this, and thankfully there is a proper intensely popular option that surprisingly has millions upon millions of downloads (and the author is making a killing in patreon), so I guess a lot of simmers do want such things. Things like juice instead of alcohol, nectar instead of obvious wine, bubble maker instead of the obvious hookah they are, bleh. Hell I'm 24 and the whole light hearted comedy theme of the sims gets old real fast. But I guess you cannot please everyone.
  • Options
    GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    Omg remember when breast sliders were going to raise the T rating to M for Sims 3?!?

I think “self-woohoo” would be kinda funny. That’s hardly anymore adult than regular woohoo is. Let’s not forget Sims can already “woohoo” in public foliage in front of other Sims, who will stop and watch/react. So not really sure why woohoo minus one sim would really affect the rating, I think that’s a bit dramatic.

If you consider other "Mature" elements of sims 4, EA have no real defence against protecting the age rating since we have Vampires who come into our homes whenever they feel hungry and physically assault us, if they want to play that excuse we have many examples as to how Sims 4 is not at all a teen game, but frantically, its become clear that the team and EA as a whole have no real idea of age ratings anymore, and what they stand for.

As a child I'd watch all sorts of rated movies, from muppets to die hard, and ironically, despite not being supposed to watch them, a lot of the age appropriate films held more adult meanings than the 18 movies did! And Back in the day, despite being a children's game, Sims did as well, despite the company trying to keep it strictly young people! It seems the snowflake mentality has infected EA and the Sims team to a point they don't know which way is up.

As much as I appreciate the fact they can't win with simmers, whatever they do is wrong to somebody, they need to look at the game, look at who plays it and ask the real questions, such being "Is this mature, or are we afraid of offending someone?"

I know, whether its offensive content or not, somebody will be upset by whatever they make, we have simmers getting offended by just an idea posted to the forums! But as for features within the game, theres plenty of mature themes they can add whilst keeping it PG, you've just got to hide it in the right way.

If you think about it, Whats Woohoo? What's a vampire attacking us and using their powers to sink their teeth into our flesh and steal our blood? What's a sim dropping dead from laughter or being struck by lightening? What's a sim being sad after failing to conceive?
    What's Sims fighting each other or Santa for a gift? We have violence, assault, death, drama, heartache, we have mature features that many young simmers can go to their parents and ask about, or ignore because they have no idea.

honestly I have no clue what EA are trying to protect simmers from! Its reached a point where you see all the questionable abilities we have and wonder why they're so against alternatives, some being lighter than what we have now.

To me, it's the snowflake mentality, rather than accept Sims can't be PG/Teen forever, they try to make everything light and perfect and safe when actually all they're doing is killing a popular genre of game!

How hard is it to label something "Self woohoo", a feature where you lock yourself away, hearts bubble up behind the door, same as when neighbours woohoo in an apartment, and the sim comes out, heads off to wash their hands, gets a funny moodlet and goes on with their life?.

How hard is that? Hows that worse considered to now being able to WATCH sims woohoo with the new first person cam?!

I mean yes its just a mash up of colour but...we can see it! Self woohoo would actually be less mature!

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Sometimes we are just barking up the wrong tree?
    If enough simmers want things changed? then talk to who can help you. Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB).

The (ESRB) assigns age and content ratings to consumer video games. in response to criticism of controversial video games with excessively violent or woohoo content.

The board assigns ratings to games based on their content, using judgment similar to the motion picture rating systems used in many countries, using a combination of six age-based levels intended to aid consumers in determining a game's content and suitability, along with a system of "content descriptors" which detail specific types of content present in a particular game. The ESRB maintains a code of ethics for the advertising and promotion of video games ensuring that marketing materials for games are targeted to appropriate audiences.

Basically, this is about money and sales. If it goes to adult Store would have to ask for Identification. Then everyone under 18 or 21 in some countries would not be able to buy, Most Retail stores will not stock it without ratings.

Is a little self woohoo wanting simmers worth the risk of the sales drop?

The ESRB ratings system is enforced via the voluntary leverage of the North American video game and retail industries, Most shops do not stock games which have not been rated. major console manufacturers will not license games for their systems unless they carry ESRB ratings, while console manufacturers and most toy stores will refuse games that the ESRB has rated as being appropriate for adults.
    It's not really against the law not to get your games rated, This is something that Retailers do and want, and will not change. They do not want to have any consumer group on their backs, over what they sell they are in business for a profit.

Due to the level of consumer and retail awareness of the ratings system, along with the organization's efforts to ensure that retailers comply with the ratings system and that publishers comply with its marketing code, the ESRB has considered its system to be effective, and was praised by the Federal Trade Commission for being the "strongest" self-regulatory organization in the entertainment sector.
    That means they have the power to take your games off the shelf, and out of consols and even mobile games. Talking about a drop in stock?

Despite its positive reception, the ESRB has still faced criticism from politicians and other watchdog groups for the structure of its operations, particularly in the wake of a 2005 incident that surrounded the organization's handling of "hidden", objectionable content in a game which could be accessed using a user-created modification.

(Some do that in Sims and of course, it is not allowed so they just hide and Mod as they please)

So I think its good to start with the ESRB, just fight them you may win.
    I have heard of Mods, but I like the game as is.

Maybe sims 5, or 6. I do think Sims 5 will be released this year. Perhaps it will be one for adults and one for Teen rating. But Sims 4 is too old for change and is truly set in its ways. the reason I feel we should not bark up the wrong tree.
    Post edited by Stormsview on
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    The Sims 4 is rated M here...

There's nothing wrong with a little self-love, it's not like they'd be showing anything, just hide under the covers as they do for a shared woohoo, or when they go for a cry.
    irl, selflstuff should be seen as a normal, everyday occurrence, like taking a shower, except it happens from before birth, with most people engaging in it 'til death. It's the safest woohoo that you'll ever have.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options

It's not against the law, It's just that these retailers like to stick together. So they all have this ESRB Rating, and they treat them like they are the law.

This the reason I feel they need two versions. Sells will go up not down. With one Version sales will most likely go down a lot.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Stormsview wrote: »
    It's not against the law, It's just that these retailers like to stick together. So they all have this ESRB Rating, and they treat them like they are the law.

This the reason I feel they need two versions. Sells will go up not down. With one Version sales will most likely go down a lot.

That would require development time, and personally, I'd rather they spend their time on other things. Let modders add the more 'adult' stuff. (Though personally, I suspect that 'adult' features - both violence and woo-hoo - tend to appeal more to the teens who are forbidden to buy it.)

You make a good point about the ESRB and retailers - you lose a lot of sales if you can't sell at the major stores. And while some of the ESRB components don't make sense (it's rather silly to pixel out a fully-dressed toddler on the pot), the developers don't make those rules.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    sazzieJ wrote: »
    id like my sim couples to autonomously woohoo. they talk autonomously to keep their relationship going, why not a woohoo and other romance options?

i wouldnt want them trying for a baby like that however a normal woohoo is fine, but then again ive had a few instances where ive sworn ive clicked normal woohoo and ended up with a pregnant sim.

That’s already in the game. I’ve seen my sims autonomous WooHoo (no mods), but it has a long cool down before they will try it and every WooHoo you initiate manually also resets the cool down timer. Was really funny first time I noticed because an action popped up called “be propositioned” and I was like “what?!”.

I think the couple needs to have already WooHooed once before autonomy is allowed. I don’t think sims can autonomously choose first WooHoo with another sim.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Well it's a teen game.

I just wish my married couples would actually like spending time together. Guaranteed, when I let them live their life in free will, the pink bar ends up to zero. They never flirt or kiss or anything autonomously. Very disappointing.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    @Stormsview i’m not really sure what you are talking about or if you are just trying to derail the thread. Unless Maxis were to, for some strange reason, implement explicitly sexual animations or situations then there is really no concern over the rating. This game is rated T and has always contained sexual themes, but not explicit sex. I don’t see why you would expect that to change? Maybe you are missing the point or something, but there is absolutely no reason a feature such as “self-woohoo” would change the rating if it’s presented in a way like all other woohoo’s. As I said earlier, claiming this will bump up the rating to M is over the top. Realistically, if done correctly it will result in no change to the rating because it’s no different in concept than any other woohoo situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top